Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

splinter65 wrote: »
    What is he gaining from persecuting her? She didn’t leave the house intending to kill his wife and daughter. She’s been punished and she continues to be punished every day. He’s clearly eaten alive with bitterness and it’s doubtful his sense of gross injustice will ever be satisfied. Sadly that’s going to slowly eat him alive from the inside out. I have witnessed this in my own family.
    I have also witnessed what peace and reconciliation forgiveness can bring.

That’s his journey to make. She chose to illegally drive unaccompanied and admitted driving without due care and attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

road_high wrote: »
    Do you think it’s an “easy ride” for her?
    Christ is right.

Yep. No jail time and allowed to continue on as she was. Hopefully she wakes up to the first thought of the two people she killed every single morning though, that would be the very least she deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yep. No jail time and allowed to continue on as she was. Hopefully she wakes up to the first thought of the two people she killed every single morning though, that would be the very least she deserves.

God, that is really a disgusting thing to say.

I don't see how people can't have empathy for all parties involved in a tragic accident like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s pathetic really. This kind of obsessive vengeance only eats people up. It’ll never be satisfied, supposing she was tortured daily for the rest of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That’s pathetic really. This kind of obsessive vengeance only eats people up. It’ll never be satisfied, supposing she was tortured daily for the rest of her life.

But should the punishment not fit the crime? I could end up in jail for not paying my TV licence yet kill two people and I don't?

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »

I don't see how people can't have empathy for all parties involved in a tragic accident like this.

Not at all, she doesn't deserve any better and maybe if she done some fronting up then she might have more effect on people as a deterrent to someone else doing the same thing.

The victims and the people suffering loss are the only people deserving of empathy though.

ANXIOUS wrote: »

Because she is guilty the victims were without guilt- Trial judge

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But should the punishment not fit the crime? I could end up in jail for not paying my TV licence yet kill two people and I don't?

What’s a fitting punishment in your eyes?

What’s a fitting punishment in your eyes?

Probably six months in jail and a lifetime driving ban.

JeffKenna wrote: »

You no longer can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Is everyone equally sorry for the drunk driver in Midlands in the other ad?

She didn't prang a bumper and do a runner or anything. She killed two people. No goodbyes, no getting on with their lives like she can, no nothing for them. At the very least it should torture her for the rest of her existence.

No, he was breaking a law that people agree with being there rather than one that they don't agree with. Never mind the actual rules, they don't count if they're stupid ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The blind bridge

Noel rang his daughter Fiona from the side of the road, saying, “Fi, there’s been a car crash at ‘the blind bridge’,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I fully get she didn't set out to kill same as any same person whether drink, texting or talking on the phone or after doing a line of coke etc.

If we can keep these off the roads though the odds become better.
    I've had many collisions.

I've had a very bad pedestrian collision where the person nearly didn't make it.

They crossed with no warning or without even looking.

I feel bad for all involved but people need to think hard before they decide to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 28112827

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But MUCH more likely to be caused by an inexperienced driver.

It would be interesting to see those stats. Can you provide a link to where they are published?

It’s been a few years since I researched this, but previously I had worked out that the vast majority of accidents involved fully licensed drivers with varying degrees of experience.

Happy to be wrong, I am just curious about the source.

That is also part of what locals I've spoken to feel. Now I'm not for a second saying this man will ever get over his family or move on but people feel he's just being used by the RSA for the campaign and they are fueling his bitterness and aren't really helping him.

Even you using the word 'bitterness' towards him is basically belittling the whole thing from his side of it. He killed nobody.

gctest50 wrote: »
    The blind bridge

Noel rang his daughter Fiona from the side of the road, saying, “Fi, there’s been a car crash at ‘the blind bridge’,

Which the unaccompanied driver drove straight through and took out the other car with such impact to knock it over the bridge into the field...

No because he deliberately drank a ton of alcohol, drove and left the scene of the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

These ads are the trend I'm afraid. And they're getting more emotional AND blame driven. I'm 20 yr s on a full licence and even I feel bad when I see it.
    I would rather not have my nice comedy/film/nature program interrupted by this drivel. But sure there you go . that's why we pay a licence ..??.so we have to endure these ads..??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

“ At the very least it should torture her for the rest of her existence”
    What a ****ing retarded wish on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I must have missed the bit where she didn't know she should have been accompanied?

Pat this is the thing. A fully grown man of 40 who drank 9 pints and decided to drive anyway, caused a crash that killed a child, ran away from the scene and then appealed his 7 1/2 year sentence is not the same as a very young girl who was trying to practice her driving early on in her pre test period.
    I find your post lacking in any mercy compassion or empathy and I doubt if you’ll admit that you made lots of mistakes and bad desicions yourself at that age that could have ended tragically but you were just lucky.
    So carry on condemning and finger pointing.

Needles73 wrote: »
    “ At the very least it should torture her for the rest of her existence”
    What a ****ing regarded wish on anyone. Asshole

Regarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

Regarded?

Spell check, corrected.

Pat this is the thing. A fully grown man of 40 who drank 9 pints and decided to drive anyway, caused a crash that killed a child, ran away from the scene and then appealed his 7 1/2 year sentence is not the same as a very young girl who was trying to practice her driving early on in her pre test period.
    I find your post lacking in any mercy compassion or empathy and I doubt if you’ll admit that you made lots of mistakes and bad desicions yourself at that age that could have ended tragically but you were just lucky.
    So carry on condemning and finger pointing.

Mercy, compassion, or empathy? For who exactly?

You seem awful worried about the person that caused the deaths rather than the two people she killed or the family she took them from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Some of the comments on here are vile about the young woman.

She made a massive massive error of judgement that day that she has to live with with for the rest of her days. The fact she knows the family too only adds to it, each morning waking up to it.

Personally, I think there could & should have been other ways the RSA created an ad focusing on unaccompanied drivers. Previously, they’ve used actors, why not in case for unaccompanied drivers.

The ‘real life’ ads focusing on drink drivers I agree with as these drunk drivers know the consequences getting behind the wheel drunk. In this specific case I don’t agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No because he deliberately drank a ton of alcohol, drove and left the scene of the crash.

And he was 40 with a long term job that involved a lot of driving but seemed to be comfortable with drinking 9 pints in the middle of the day. The girl was 21 trying to get practice driving while doing her 12 compulsory lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You sound like the ad- there was no deliberate “killing someone’s family” just a horrible, unfortunate accident that that poor girl and their family will have to live with forever.

Accident: an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

The reality is that many road traffic collisions have underlying and proximate causes and aren't accidents. Bad weather, an inexperienced driver, dangerous driving and whatever other factors were involved tempts fate. The more unsafe factors involved, the more likely a collision is to occur.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/i-hear-their-screams-i-see-them-die-again-and-again-431690.html
    Judge SeDonnabh sentenced Susan Gleeson, aged 21, of Kilworth, Co Cork, at Cork Circuit Criminal Court on the single charge of dangerous driving causing the death of Geraldine Clancy, 58, and her daughter, Louise Ann, 22, on December 22 last year near Ballyderown on the Fermoy-Kilworth-Ballyduff road.

The judge said inexperience, inattention, and dangerously driving on to the incorrect side of the road caused the accident

Quote from the convicted driver:
    I did not have my full concentration. My mind was not on the road. I was thinking of my dental appointment and how I was going to park.
    There's also questions such as why wasn't the wall repaired, the flood drained, etc and they very controversial question did he leave any of his children drive unaccompanied?
    Are you suggesting someone's family should be killed because one of them drives unaccompanied? However:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/widower-i-dont-feel-sorry-for-killer-driver-467189.html
    Widower wrote:
    "The law applied to the Gleeson family the same as it applied to the Clancy family. If the Clancy family weren’t willing to allow their children drive unaccompanied, why were the Gleeson family doing it?”
    emeldc wrote: »
    There isn’t one of us here that hasn’t driven unaccompanied.
    I've never driven unaccompanied.

And he was 40 with a long term job that involved a lot of driving but seemed to be comfortable with drinking 9 pints in the middle of the day. The girl was 21 trying to get practice driving while doing her 12 compulsory lessons.

And they both were in the wrong and killed people.

• Advertisement

Mercy, compassion, or empathy? For who exactly?

You seem awful worried about the person that caused the deaths rather than the two people she killed or the family she took them from.

You know it’s possible to feel for both here. As posters have been at pains to point out but you’ve made the girl the focus of your considerable ire and indeed, vengeance

Advertisement