Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am eating painkillers. It's an annoying one as there's nothing much you can do but suck it up.

Good stuff on the diet starting today, keep us updated

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am eating painkillers. It's an annoying one as there's nothing much you can do but suck it up.

Good stuff on the diet starting today, keep us updated

I've never broken a toe (touch wood) but I imagine it's fairly crap :(

I'm going to be relying on coffee to get me through the cravings, I'm just going to go cold turkey. My first dress fitting is coming up so need to get back on track fairly quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I have excuse to not excercise besides covid. But i find it so hard. Is anyone else struggling with this!!

Eskie, I was like a demon when I did my cold turkey for about two weeks. You can even see it in my posts, they are embarrassingly cranky. After that I was grand. I will be starting Thursday my diet, not as strict as the last one and not as much exercise at the start (due to toe issue).

Wesser I am finding it very hard. Pre Christmas (Sept-mid Dec) I was up at 5am three mornings a week for a hard weights session. Worked long hours, ran when the little one went to bed and walked 12k steps a day. I was full of energy.

Now I am doing none of the above and Im wrecked. Bad diet, booze and just a slump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Ive been eating and drinking all around me with the folks here so up to 84kg.

I was hoping to run this week but Im pretty certain I broke my toe yesterday. Its the third one in on my left foot, the middle toe. It is black, not purple, black. I have broken quite a few in the past and apart from when I broke my big toe, just taped to the one beside it and let it heal. Hope it works this time.

Folks leave Wednesday, diet starts Thursday.

Wife walked into marble fireplace when 8 months pregnant and broke her toe. Didn't know and went to a wedding next day, danced etc and only went to doctor when toe swelled so much she couldn't put a shoe on!

Said it one of the worst pains she has ever had so can semi relate to you suffering.
    Wesser wrote: »
    I have excuse to not excercise besides covid. But i find it so hard. Is anyone else struggling with this!!

I found every excuse possible to delay getting back into exercising and finally took the plunge last week. The first couple of worksouts/runs are the hardest and then it gets easier (for me anyway). Trying to stick to getting 3 workouts in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Seriously?!

Week 1: -6 pounds
    Week 2: +2 pounds

Hoping for a better week this week...Had four days off work and it totally threw me out of routine! Normally if I saw a result like that on the scales I’d give up at the first hurdle but determined to change that mindset this year....Onwards and downwards! The support on this thread is great!

Day 1 complete! I'm absolutely wrecked tired, but I did it. I allowed myself a chocolate orange rice cake with my much needed mug of tea this evening :)

@Seriously, I'm up the same this week, and while I was disappointed, it's given me that little nudge to motivate me to be more active.

I just hope I'm feeling as positive tomorrow :D

Another workout does this morning. When you workout outside you are at the mercy of the weather so looks like have to fit in them in when not raining/snowing/freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Did another 30km on the bike last night and the sweat was dripping off me, though it appears the weekend of indulgence for the kids birthday has finally managed to show itself on the scales, I know I swore I wouldn't weigh myself midweek anymore, but did it out of habit this morning and the results are not pretty... need to snap out of the eating to cheer myself up vibe or I'll be the size of a sofa in no time at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Disaster of a day yesterday, work was crazy and it ended in Mcdonalds! Up 1lb when I weighed myself Saturday but down in measurements so feeling good about that. Need to scroll back through the posts to find where I was keeping track!

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    ... need to snap out of the eating to cheer myself up vibe or I'll be the size of a sofa in no time at all.

I'd be like this as well. Have been substituting food with coffee lately to try and keep things in check. Not ideal either I know.

Did another 30km on the bike last night and the sweat was dripping off me, though it appears the weekend of indulgence for the kids birthday has finally managed to show itself on the scales, I know I swore I wouldn't weigh myself midweek anymore, but did it out of habit this morning and the results are not pretty... need to snap out of the eating to cheer myself up vibe or I'll be the size of a sofa in no time at all.

Twas my youngest's birthday at the weekend also. You have twins right?

Twas my youngest's birthday at the weekend also. You have twins right?

Yep, a boy & a girl.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Well January can go and take a long walk off a short cliff anyway!!! :mad: Having said that I'm not sure I'm quite ready for February yet either :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I got 12,000 steps in from my 2 walks today and you know what I can’t find my motivation anywhere out there.

Loughc wrote: »
    I got 12,000 steps in from my 2 walks today and you know what I can’t find my motivation anywhere out there.

Fair play on getting the steps in! If the weather is as miserable there as it is out my way, it would make it hard to feel motivated, in my opinion. I dragged myself up this morning to bring the dog for her walk, neither of us were too happy about being out in the rain, especially pre coffee/breakfast :)

My energy levels are all over the place today, so hoping I settle back into the routine soon.
    Dinner was delicious, a turkey burger and sweet potatoes, it's a pack of 4 turkey burgers so that's it for the rest of the week :D

Loughc wrote: »

You still got the steps in so fair play.

TRS30 wrote: »
    You still got the steps in so fair play.

Exactly. Did another 25k on the bike tonight and I swear to god every pedal was like wading through wet concrete... no.idea how I kept going. Struggling for any kind of motivation myself.

Exactly. Did another 25k on the bike tonight and I swear to god every pedal was like wading through wet concrete... no.idea how I kept going. Struggling for any kind of motivation myself.

You got it done thought.

I'd say I feel 'motivated' less then half the times I work out however am stubborn so just do it regardless.

Off for some more now and really just want to go back to bed!

You got it done thought.

I'd say I feel 'motivated' less then half the times I work out however am stubborn so just do it regardless.

Off for some more now and really just want to go back to bed!

Fair play on the early morning workouts, was never good at them myself so admire anyone who can get up and at it like that. No prob with early starts to the day am used to thrm, but the thoughts of strenuous exercise that early....

• Advertisement

Fair play on the early morning workouts, was never good at them myself so admire anyone who can get up and at it like that. No prob with early starts to the day am used to thrm, but the thoughts of strenuous exercise that early....

My thinking has always been that doing exercise before work would make me too alert. I’d much rather be half asleep for the first few hours so the days passes a bit faster :D

I'm a morning person and prefer to get it done early as possible. Especially at the minute as have no idea how the day is going to turn out.

Have at least two coffees before I start though!!

L'prof wrote: »
    My thinking has always been that doing exercise before work would make me too alert. I’d much rather be half asleep for the first few hours so the days passes a bit faster :D

LOL... love it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm a morning person and prefer to get it done early as possible. Especially at the minute as have no idea how the day is going to turn out.

Have at least two coffees before I start though!!

I'm with TRS here, I'm deffo a morning person and the way I look at it L'prof, I'm half asleep on my morning exercise so by the time I wake up fully I'm half way home haha.

I enjoy the odd weekend early morning run in the spring/summer when its bright & sunny, but in the depths of winter... I tip my hat to ye guys.

Week 0 = +8.4lbs

That’s as bad as it gets I suppose

Famous last words :(

Week 1: +2lbs
    Week 2: -1.4lbs

Habits haven’t improved a whole lot from Christmas and I’m currently isolating awaiting results. Pretty sure it’s just a head cold but you can’t take that risk especially when I work with people every day

Famous last words :(

Week 1: +2lbs
    Week 2: -1.4lbs

Habits haven’t improved a whole lot from Christmas and I’m currently isolating awaiting results. Pretty sure it’s just a head cold but you can’t take that risk especially when I work with people every day

Fingers crossed it comes back negative. You're doing the right thing anyway, fair play as plenty aren't by the sounds of it.

Fingers crossed it comes back negative. You're doing the right thing anyway, fair play as plenty aren't by the sounds of it.

Yeah, even the woman coming out of the test centre ahead of me pulled straight into a garage. There’s a small possibility that she did it to make a uturn but I don’t know. I would have only loved a chicken fillet roll myself :p

Yeah, even the woman coming out of the test centre ahead of me pulled straight into a garage. There’s a small possibility that she did it to make a uturn but I don’t know. I would have only loved a chicken fillet roll myself :p

Have heard far worse than that unfortunately. A friends office was completely closed because of someone coming in whilst awaiting results. Have since heard a few positive cases have arisen from that particular faux pas.

• Advertisement

Have heard far worse than that unfortunately. A friends office was completely closed because of someone coming in whilst awaiting results. Have since heard a few positive cases have arisen from that particular faux pas.

Yeah I know. I've heard of someone coming back to Ireland for Christmas knowing they were positive and getting a relative to collect them from the airport. That relative's Christmas was ruined then through isolation. Not sure if they contracted it too

Anyway, I digress. Here's hoping next week is better than the last. One step at a time

Advertisement