Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Loughc wrote: »
    Work was silly busy for me today. Worked 7am until 9pm.

Had lunch at 3pm and half a sambo for dinner. Easy to say snacking all over the place. Weigh in result looking worse each day :(

As I’m sipping on Guinness and stuffing my face with crisps and chocolate posts like these are giving me great comfort :pac:

It’s stil Christmas right???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭DvB

L'prof wrote: »

Christmas is a feeling.... so if it feels like it, rock on!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

L'prof wrote: »
    As I’m sipping on Guinness and stuffing my face with crisps and chocolate posts like these are giving me great comfort :pac:

Absolutely is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Definitely still Christmas! Kids finally asleep! Two hours in bed listening to everything minecraft related! I figure I deserve Christmas pudding with custard and tea! And my Christmas bowls are still in use so it would be rude not to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had a seriously OTT food and drink wise Christmas!
    But been very good since new years.
    The only thing that ever works for me if I want to lose a few pounds is myfitnesspal.
    Down from 84kg to 79.5kg in 2 weeks.
    73 is right in the middle of normal BMI weight so aiming for that

• Advertisement

That's brilliant mgisk! I found mfp great too. I'm logging my weight here now and once I'm finished the Christmas pudding :)
    The best thing that worked for me was bodyslims. Will do it again when the next programme comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Weigh in day today - down 2lbs

kitten_k wrote: »

Brilliant kitten_k! That's a great way to start the weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »

Boom!!! Nice one Kitten!! :D

Week 1 -1.5lb

I can assure you that’s more about how bad I was eating at Christmas versus how good I was last week.

The good news is I did get plenty of walks in despite being busy in work no doubt that helped. Drank loads of water and didn’t snack too much during the day. The nighttime killed me snacking wise.

Feeling more focused and not as busy in work so hopefully I can get back into the swing of things next week.

• Advertisement

You've bucked the trend by losing rather than gaining, not to be sniffed at IMO. Especially when combined with a tough week in work. Good work.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

Loughc wrote: »
    Week 1 -1.5lb

I can assure you that’s more about how bad I was eating at Christmas versus how good I was last week.

The good news is I did get plenty of walks in despite being busy in work no doubt that helped. Drank loads of water and didn’t snack too much during the day. The nighttime killed me snacking wise.

Feeling more focused and not as busy in work so hopefully I can get back into the swing of things next week.

I have started eating a couple of dates in the evening time to curb my sweet cravings after having chocolate for breakfast over the Christmas! They are surprisingly tasty and satisfying!

New to this group, its such a cool thread though, I like the support! My gym is closed and I dont have a weighing scale but I've cut carbs dairy and processed foods/sweets/chocolate since January 4th and ive only drank one night so im hoping when I go back il be down 5-7 lbs (even though I have no idea how much I put on over Christmas, I might be lucky to be at the same weight! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

^^^
    It’s a cool thread ... lots of positivity. Tough love doesn’t work with me and I am motivated by hearing good news (Conor on last week’s Operation Transformation is the type of story that inspires me) Must admit to being a little in denial ... I still can’t bring myself to hit the scales post Christmas which, I’m sure is a complete no no in the weight loss zone. I’m making a great effort with my speedy daily sanity walks, so can I plead that I’m aiming to be a toned Christmas cracker? ... pretty please

I only occasionally weigh myself as I'm not too pushed about the scales, but I do measure myself every 1-2 weeks to track my progress.
    I think it was around May 2020 that I started posting in this thread, I wanted to start getting fit and eat healthily. The encouragement here is just brilliant, I've started again many times after taking short and long breaks, they're just the loveliest bunch in this forum :)

My goal this year is to start running, and I think it's going to prove quite the challenge :o

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Eskie, I took up running a few years back and can’t describe the feeling AFTER a run. I could walk the hind legs off a donkey but it was only when I took up running that I noticed a change in my fitness levels ... think my body became accustomed to my daily walks. I’ll be cheering you on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

There is a great book out there called 'Born to run' its more of a novel than anything technical. Worth a read.

I have not been weighing myself due to fear. I have been eating all around me and smashed a load of chocolate each night. WFH this week and I am eating a lot more than usual as I have access to it.

I did a 6km run two days ago and a 7km run yesterday. Hoping to get another similar distance run in today. I know it is just reducing the gain in weight as it will not be enough to negate all the rubbish to put me in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Feb is my kick off.

I only occasionally weigh myself as I'm not too pushed about the scales, but I do measure myself every 1-2 weeks to track my progress.
    I think it was around May 2020 that I started posting in this thread, I wanted to start getting fit and eat healthily. The encouragement here is just brilliant, I've started again many times after taking short and long breaks, they're just the loveliest bunch in this forum :)

My goal this year is to start running, and I think it's going to prove quite the challenge :o

Ya I started running about a year ago and I always find that I absolutely dread going out, hate being on the run and then come back feeling amazing and so happy that I did it! I find if you aim for a time more than distance it helps and start off slow. The couch to 5k app might be a good place to start, or if you have a fit bit they have a good community also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Running is great Eskie! Tough to get going in January I find, I started running with the parkrun events on Saturday mornings back in September 2019 and never looked back. I don't do any long runs mind you, maximum 5k but I find even convincing yourself to get out and do 1km will always lead to one or two more! Couch to 5k is a good starting point too, my own recommendation with it would be not to be afraid of repeating a week if you're finding it tough, take the weekly progression as a guideline rather than a set rule.

Weighed myself on Saturday and despite a takeaway on Thursday, I'm down 0.8lb so absolutely delighted. More importantly, I started measuring myself the week before and found I had lost atleast 1cm if not more in every part I measured so that was a massive boost for me going into this week! (It also led to takeaway pizza on Saturday night but sure we might as well celebrate little things in lockdown) :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm waiting until February to run out of food start being good. I know I'm not motivated in January, especially this January, so there is no point in setting myself up for a fall!

Posy wrote: »
    I'm waiting until February to run out of food start being good. I know I'm not motivated in January, especially this January, so there is no point in setting myself up for a fall!

This is an attitude I can get behind... I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I have tried to run however find it so boring. Tried music, podcasts etc and just nothing makes it even semi bearable.

Haven't weighted myself in a few days however I know I'll be down just by looking in the mirror. Not surprised as a few days of antibiotics and not feeling great has knocked my appetite out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seriously?!

Week 1: - 6 pounds

Delighted to have gotten off to such a great start but it’s mainly down to cutting out all the junk food!

Delighted to have gotten off to such a great start but it’s mainly down to cutting out all the junk food!

Well done thats brilliant!

Great achievement! That's a number to make the happy hormones very happy! Well done

An excellent start, wow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Running is ****e, you either like it or you dont. I've done 5ks and all that and would rather stick pins in my eyes than go for a run. And dont get me started about the lads boring the hole off you with their PBs and running shoes and how far they went that day. Fair play lads but keep it to yourselves :)

Started the 16:8 yesterday, not too bad so far, just need to start counting the calories for the 8 hours so that I get a handle on that. Plan on taking a break every Saturday and eating normally, having a few drinks etc without going mad.

That's amazing 👠well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

That's unreal!! Fair play to you.

Eastie17 I am in your boat, I only ran for sport, chasing someone/something. Running for running's sake is tough. I play no sport now but my Haribo and over eating addiction mean I need to run. I fight my inner bitch to quit every time I put on my runners.

Jude13 wrote: »

I only ran for sport, chasing someone/something. Running for running's sake is tough. I play no sport now but my Haribo and over eating addiction mean I need to run. I fight my inner bitch to quit every time I put on my runners.

Ditto. I can find it quite hard to motivate myself to go running, especially if I haven't been doing it regularly for a while. Its much easier in the summer when its brighter in the evenings & the weather tends to be better too, but even then the lazy git inside me doesn't make it 'that' enticing.

Though I do find that when I'm feeling quite stressed through work or something going for a run can be a real help in terms of being a head clearer so that's a bonus.
    I've been sticking to the turbo trainer of late as I set it up in the living room & watch TV whilst cycling for an hour or so. Doesn't do much for the gut though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

TRS30 wrote: »
    Haven't weighted myself in a few days however I know I'll be down just by looking in the mirror. Not surprised as a few days of antibiotics and not feeling great has knocked my appetite out the window.

86kg this morning. So 2kg down from just after NY.

Is solely down to not eating much due to not feeling great. Not the ideal way to do it as have very little energy which not great as so busy.

Advertisement