Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation to make organ donations automatic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hal3000 wrote: »
    When our Health Minister shows proof that he's also choosing to donate his organs on passing then I'll do it. Until then, I'm out !

Why does he not get the same private choice as you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This isn't a sexual assault case so please leave that consent crap at the door.

Ah so you only need consent to put something in, not take something out?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I find it unsettling and extremely creepy that someone would use my organs after my death.

Why? What's the thought process behind this? What's "unsettling" about giving the gift of life to somebody in need?

I think this sort of attitude belongs in a fantasy novel and has no place in our society. If your "spirit" can't make it to "heaven" because you donated a kidney, then that's not somewhere I would want to be.

Is St Peter. physically checking spirits for organs? Holdup Stefan, our records show that you are missing a lung. Sorry, but that's absolutely unacceptable. Off to hell with you... Nonsensical rubbish.

Suggesting our leaders lead by example is frowned upon in this thread. So is questioning any of their motives. Im still waiting for a tinfoil hat comment.

Presumably you want this for everything?

By the time every politician demonstrates they are willing to participate in everything covered by laws so they are deemed worthy to be elected, itll be long past time to retire.

Bob Harris wrote: »

The government initally will pretend to be appalled but it is a great way to save money on health and pensions.

How much do you reckon is there to be saved?

The vast majority of people looking to end their own lives are ones suffering from the end stages of terminal illness.

I highly doubt the government is banking on the money saved from a few weeks or months of someones pension to build the countries infrastructure.

Plus. Euthanasia isnt free to carry out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Akrasia wrote: »
    Are you serious?

So what if you burn to death and that organ gets destroyed. You don't get to go to the afterlife?

If you believe in an afterlife, surely it would count as a negative mark against your soul that you refused to allow your organs to be used to save another persons life, or restore sight to a blind person....

This pascals wager thing always assumes there are only two options, what if the true way to transmit your spirit to an extra dimension is to be as generous and loving during your life as possible?

Unsurprising I don't have all the answers. I am not religious and am open to all possibilities. I personally do not wish to donate organs after I die. There will be many many more that are happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Akrasia wrote: »
    Are you serious?

So what if you burn to death and that organ gets destroyed. You don't get to go to the afterlife?

If you believe in an afterlife, surely it would count as a negative mark against your soul that you refused to allow your organs to be used to save another persons life, or restore sight to a blind person....

This pascals wager thing always assumes there are only two options, what if the true way to transmit your spirit to an extra dimension is to be as generous and loving during your life as possible?

I had a patient once who needed his leg amputated. He wanted to have the body part after surgery because he believed his body had to be whole so that he could rise from the dead on the last day (there was an appropriate bible quote). He had his grave bought and was planning to bury the leg there, and join it later when he died.
    Each to their own. If people have a good reason not to be a donor (even a religious one that you might not agree with) well then let them off. It’s the nonsensical government conspiracy crap that I have no time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,526 ✭✭✭✭kippy

gozunda wrote: »
    Well the state effectively has a significant share in everything you own, earn or inherit. Now they own your corpse as well or at least the bits they want. ;)

Sorry but I just have to post this ...

What use is your corpse to you after you die?

Some people are very cynical.
    This is a great initiative and should be supported.

Ah so you only need consent to put something in, not take something out?? :rolleyes:

Good job on over simplifying it... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You have the option to opt out, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I would be more inclined to yes. If I see a minister bring in a policy and then not bother to do it himself, I might have reservations as to why he would be so keen for eveyone else to donate, but he himself abstains from the practice ? Again I apologise that I don't always follow what our loving and caring leaders tells us what is the best thing to do.

Apology accepted again.

That's fine but wouldn't you prefer to think for yourself about whether you support organ donation or not rather than following whatever Harris does?

You say you're not going to follow the leader but I think you're putting way too much weight on what the leader (Harris in this case) does.

Exactly how much more inclined would you be to support it if Harris does it?

• Advertisement

Anyone who cares enough to carry an "organ donation opt in" card will be opted in. Those who don't care enough to do that, obviously don't care one way or the other.

Fixed that for you.

Sure. It's the same both ways so no difference either way. So no problem, right?

Ah well if you think its worth it, lets do it.

So you rather the other option - doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

There’s a name for what that is you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Sorry I prefer my politican's to lead by example. Sorry about that.

By your logic you'd be against introducing a law jailing people for murder, unless the politician proposing it first murdered someone and went to jail. :rolleyes:

You've seen the site?? Could you give us a link?? Or are you talking shite?? :rolleyes:

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. It's the Welsh example because obviously the system isn't running in Ireland yet.

Google "Wales organ donation register"
    Follow the fourth link on google search called "organ donation register your decision GOV.Wales.
    Click register your decision

From there you click opt out
    Confirm opt out and ender your details. Simple.

It's not half as sinister as some people seem to think.

The Gubbermint isn't after your organs. The government health service is the way we link up people who want to donate with people who need donations. It's very civilised really and anyone who doesn't want to take part is free to say so and have their wish honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

How much do you reckon is there to be saved?

The vast majority of people looking to end their own lives are ones suffering from the end stages of terminal illness.

I highly doubt the government is banking on the money saved from a few weeks or months of someones pension to build the countries infrastructure.

Plus. Euthanasia isnt free to carry out.

Many will only be advancing the inevitable a few weeks, others months and some years. Less pensions, less hospital care and medication etc etc
    Euthanasia while authorised by the government wouldn't necessarily be carried out on the public system. More likely to be approved private clinics that will create jobs and pay taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Apology accepted again.

That's fine but wouldn't you prefer to think for yourself about whether you support organ donation or not rather than following whatever Harris does?

You say you're not going to follow the leader but I think you're putting way too much weight on what the leader (Harris in this case) does.

Exactly how much more inclined would you be to support it if Harris does it?

What if Harris says he is willing to donate, then in a few years the next minister chooses to opt out, will they flip/flop their decision based on who is minister at the time?

Sure. It's the same both ways so no difference either way. So no problem, right?

One way is someone giving express consent by carrying a card.

The other way is the government presuming consent.

Big difference.

Big difference.

Why? What's the thought process behind this? What's "unsettling" about giving the gift of life to somebody in need?

I think this sort of attitude belongs in a fantasy novel and has no place in our society. If your "spirit" can't make it to "heaven" because you donated a kidney, then that's not somewhere I would want to be.

Is St Peter. physically checking spirits for organs? Holdup Stefan, our records show that you are missing a lung. Sorry, but that's absolutely unacceptable. Off to hell with you... Nonsensical rubbish.

I'd have the same kind of attitude to you. But I also think it's essential to take people's wishes onto account when it comes to their own body. Even wishes that I find ridiculous.

I think the government is absolutely correct to make it easy to opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The people who donate organs are fantastic individuals. It's the politican's who tell us to and may not even do it themselves that I'm concerned with.

The 'I'm not going to stop being a **** until they stop being a ****' defence is just an excuse for being a ****. If you don't have an issue with your organs being donated allow them to be donated. If you want to opt out fair enough, but waiting for a politician to do the right thing shouldn't stop you from doing so.

• Advertisement

Candamir wrote: »
    So you rather the other option - doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

There’s a name for what that is you know.

Who said I am expecting different results?? If you can't make an argument without putting words into someone elses mouth then I'm not gonna bother debating with you.

Big difference.

But the argument was that those who care would simply register their choice. If people care they will opt out and if they don't care they will do nothing - but they don't care one way or the other so no problem, right?

What if Harris says he is willing to donate, then in a few years the next minister chooses to opt out, will they flip/flop their decision based on who is minister at the time?

Maybe. But they will almost certainly claim they are not following the leader even while doing exactly that.

But the argument was that those who care would simply register their choice. If people care they will opt out and if they don't care they will do nothing - but they don't care one way or the other so no problem, right?

People should not have a decision made for them and have to opt out.

As long as they're free to opt out and opting out is made simple, then its absolutely no big deal. But it gives the ones who are terrified of D'gubbermint something to get their knickers in a twist about.

The reality is that it comes down to personal preference. My Mrs wants to donate organs but her mother is very squeamish about it. We chatted it through and she agreed she would be ok with her daughter donating internal organs but not the eyes (arbitrary distinction to me but that's her feeling). So if it ever comes to it I will have the ultimate decision as her next of kin but I won't go against her mother's wishes either because my Mrs is important to us all.

That discussion would be so difficult to have after a sudden death of a relatively young person. so it's very important to have the discussion in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What exactly is the decision that you think is being made and its consequence?

I think it was on boards that I read someone talking about their kid being killed and at the funeral they had been told the organs had gone to 3 different people. Organs generally get donated after something unexpected happens, so while idiots go on with "Hur hur my body" just think of the kids who can't go to school, the people watching a clock waiting for a heart or some poor ****er getting dialysis 3 times a week that can be missing out because of your "principle". It's your choice but I'm pretty sure it's everyone's freedom to feel that you're a piece of ****.

I'd have the same kind of attitude to you. But I also think it's essential to take people's wishes onto account when it comes to their own body. Even wishes that I find ridiculous.

I think the government is absolutely correct to make it easy to opt out.

Absolutely, but it doesn't make the wishes any less ridiculous. Those ideas need to be torn apart.

Not much of an argument there really. There's plenty of decisions made for the public on a daily basis. Why is this one such a problem? Why is this positive viewed as a negative???

Who said I am expecting different results?? If you can't make an argument without putting words into someone elses mouth then I'm not gonna bother debating with you.

So you’re happy with current situation then. Fair enough.

Personally I’d like to see less people dying on the donor waiting list, and less people’s lives severely curtailed by having to be on dialysis for a very significant part of it, and all the discomforts and complications that come with that. Less people living blind when a simple operation will make them sighted. Less people being confined to their homes because they don’t have the lung capacity to get to their front door. I could go on.
    But that’s just my opinion. Yours is equally valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

kowloon wrote: »
    The 'I'm not going to stop being a **** until they stop being a ****' defence is just an excuse for being a ****. If you don't have an issue with your organs being donated allow them to be donated. If you want to opt out fair enough, but waiting for a politician to do the right thing shouldn't stop you from doing so.

So their thoughts on Abortion ref were totally public, but Organ donation is all of a sudden a very private matter ??? Hmmmm.... I think people who donate are fantastic, but I have the right to ask is this something that our leaders are supporting and partaking in themselves? If not then I have every right to be suspicious and not be considered an a***.....

Advertisement