Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation to make organ donations automatic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

what the hell are you talking about convictions for? malpractice suits are civil cases not criminal

Either way if it is settled in favour of the plaintiff then the insurance cost rise, if the insurance costs exceeds of doing business the doctor cannot practice (if this happens enough times). The choice to pay out or challenge it is made by the insurance company. Obviously if the doctor is young and not wanting an extended court case they will want to settle out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Either way if it is settled in favour of the plaintiff then the insurance cost rise, if the insurance costs exceeds of doing business the doctor cannot practice (if this happens enough times). The choice to pay out or challenge it is made by the insurance company. Obviously if the doctor is young and not wanting an extended court case they will want to settle out of court.

Would you ever shut up with your tinfoil ****e, you've wrecked the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Dont you have a conviction for something?

You tell me seeing as you claim to know so much that you can make accusations like that against another poster!

Would you ever shut up with your tinfoil ****e, you've wrecked the thread.

I am sorry did I hurt your feelings? I suggest pseudocreme for the tender area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I am sorry did I hurt your feelings? I suggest pseudocreme for the tender area.

So now sudocrem isn't even real???!

:p:D

• Advertisement

Succubus_ wrote: »
    So now sudocrem isn't even real???!

:p:D

On the contrary, it works wonders on creaky rusty stars. I wish I could pass around a tub of it here! :P :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Proposed legislation to provide an opt-out system of consent for deceased organ donation is to be published.

Following a long road of political and public consultation, the general scheme of the Human Tissue Bill will be announced by Minister for Health Simon Harris this afternoon.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0502/1046981-organ-donation/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Proposed legislation to provide an opt-out system of consent for deceased organ donation is to be published.

Following a long road of political and public consultation, the general scheme of the Human Tissue Bill will be announced by Minister for Health Simon Harris this afternoon.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0502/1046981-organ-donation/

That's good. It's been a long time coming. I hope the draft legislation is solid and can be amended to assuage opponents' fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hopefully the courts put a stop to this. Consent cannot be presumed.

If it saves lives then i hope the courts throw out every single objection.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭gaelwave

My body my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason as to why a human being who has passed away should not have to provide organ donations. Why would your family want your organs after you've croaked? Why would you want to hold onto your organs after you've croaked? I would believe it's a selfless act that could positively impact the lives of so many others.

G'luck to whoever gets my eyes though I've god awful sight.

gaelwave wrote: »
    My body my choice.

Correct, and anyone can choose not to be a donor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason as to why a human being who has passed away should not have to provide organ donations. Why would your family want your organs after you've croaked? Why would you want to hold onto your organs after you've croaked? I would believe it's a selfless act that could positively impact the lives of so many others.

G'luck to whoever gets my eyes though I've god awful sight.

or any poor fecker who gets my kidneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Correct, and anyone can choose not to be a donor.

Consent cannot be presumed. It's pathetic the govt talking about consent and colleges giving classes on consent, but then deciding consent about something so personal for the masses. Reeks of do as I say, not as I do.

Yes it can. It's called tacit consent. We all give tacit consent to abide by the laws of the country or break them subject to penalty. Nobody ever asked you to consent to the laws of the state. It's assumed.

It's obviously different to other kinds of consent like sex.

I have no problem with it as long as it's easy to opt out. I found the welsh opt out option with three clicks before. That's fine as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes it can. It's called tacit consent. We all give tacit consent to abide by the laws of the country or break them subject to penalty. Nobody ever asked you to consent to the laws of the state. It's assumed.

Speak for yourself, I'm a "freeman of the land" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Alex Jones was right. They're going after our organs.

Hal3000 wrote: »

Never in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Solidarity brother. The Soros lackeys will just lap this up. Now excise me, I have a Sandy Hook crisis actor to speak truth to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I think the government should be more honest. Stop calling it "organ donation". Donation is an act - I.e. the person performing the donation is actively doing so.

Taking organs unless you object - that's not donation, that's appropriation.

If they're honest, they'll rename it "organ appropriation".

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

gaelwave wrote: »
    My body my choice.

Not your body anymore. Not when you’re dead.

Candamir wrote: »
    Not your body anymore. Not when you’re dead.

But you still get the choice about what happens after you're dead. That's right and proper.

This is a complete storm in a teacup. Anyone who cares enough to Google "organ donation opt out" and tick the box, will be opted out. Those who don't care enough to do that, obviously don't care one way or the other. So I'm confident that anyone who wants to opt out will do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

When our Health Minister shows proof that he's also choosing to donate his organs on passing then I'll do it. Until then, I'm out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

When our Health Minister shows proof that he's also choosing to donate his organs on passing then I'll do it. Until then, I'm out !

I couldn't give a damn on if he is... In the event of my organs being useful to a person upon my death, they're free to take them. You're coming across as a tad petty.

Ok. You’re free to opt out - or you will soon be free to opt out. But you have no right to ask for anyone else’s medical information. He can volunteer his info if he wants but it’s silly to expect anyone to share that kind of personal info. and I wouldn’t criticise him whether he opts out or not. It’s a person decision.

Maybe opt out of receiving an organ while you’re at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

But you still get the choice about what happens after you're dead. That's right and proper.

This is a complete storm in a teacup. Anyone who cares enough to Google "organ donation opt out" and tick the box, will be opted out. Those who don't care enough to do that, obviously don't care one way or the other. So I'm confident that anyone who wants to opt out will do so.

You don’t really. Your next of kin do, within reason. You can let them know your wishes, but there’s no obligation on them to carry out your wishes.
    Which is part of the problem with the current opt in system. Many people who have donor cards or who have expressed their wish to be donors after their death don’t have those wishes realised.

I’m all for an opt out system. I’ve no use for my organs when I’m gone. If someone else can use them, they’re welcome to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I will be opting out and making sure my relatives know my wishes, because I don't think I would trust government / the HSE to operate and maintain such an opt out list correctly or efficiently.

With an opt out list, you can guarantee there will be mistakes made, and organs taken from those who otherwise would never have wanted their organs donated. I would be nervous about it.

• Advertisement

AulWan wrote: »
    I will be opting out and making sure my relatives know my wishes, because I don't think I would trust government / the HSE to operate and maintain such an opt out list correctly or efficiently.

With an opt out list, you can guarantee there will be mistakes made, and organs taken from those who otherwise would never have wanted their organs donated. I would be nervous about it.

Are you going to opt out as a recipient, you wouldn’t want someone elses violation to save you.

Advertisement