Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation to make organ donations automatic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Candamir wrote: »
    You don’t really. Your next of kin do, within reason. You can let them know your wishes, but there’s no obligation on them to carry out your wishes.
    Which is part of the problem with the current opt in system. Many people who have donor cards or who have expressed their wish to be donors after their death don’t have those wishes realised.

I’m all for an opt out system. I’ve no use for my organs when I’m gone. If someone else can use them, they’re welcome to them.

That would be exactly my attitude too. But i think the state should respect the family’s wishes too. You can see how sensitive some people are to conspiracy theories about how the big bad state is after your organs.

Ipso wrote: »
    Maybe opt out of receiving an organ while you’re at it.

Lol. I’d expect them to complain that the government is after your organs. But if they needed a transplant they’d complain that the government didn’t get an organ quick enough.

Altruism doesn’t even enter into the equation for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 matiasbloom

can't believe it is possible one day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Lol. I’d expect them to complain that the government is after your organs. But if they needed a transplant they’d complain that the government didn’t get an organ quick enough.

Altruism doesn’t even enter into the equation for some people.

This!

If one of them or their children needed an new organ they would be forever thankful to the person who had the decency to be a donor and gave them/their child a second chance at life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

This!

If one of them or their children needed an new organ they would be forever thankful to the person who had the decency to be a donor and gave them/their child a second chance at life.

The people who donate organs are fantastic individuals. It's the politican's who tell us to and may not even do it themselves that I'm concerned with.

• Advertisement

Hal3000 wrote: »
    The people who donate organs are fantastic individuals. It's the politican's who tell us to and may not even do it themselves that I'm concerned with.

Nobody’s telling you what to do. You’ll be free to opt out.

And what if the minister for health is an organ donor? Then what? You’re making a big issue about that point but would it make any difference to your attitude if he is a donor?

I respect people’s right to opt out so I don’t care if he opts out.

Nobody’s telling you what to do. You’ll be free to opt out.

And what if the minister for health is an organ donor? Then what? You’re making a big issue about that point but would it make any difference to your attitude if he is a donor?

I respect people’s right to opt out so I don’t care if he opts out.

Sorry I prefer my politican's to lead by example. Sorry about that.

Apology accepted.

So what if he is an organ donor? How will that change your attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i am an organ donor. if this opt out idea comes in, i will be opting out. no one wants the government having control of their organs.

So he should come on national tv and staye his preference? Thats confidential information that I'm sure you wouldnt state live on tv

• Advertisement

Apology accepted.

So what if he is an organ donor? How will that change your attitude?

I would be more inclined to yes. If I see a minister bring in a policy and then not bother to do it himself, I might have reservations as to why he would be so keen for eveyone else to donate, but he himself abstains from the practice ? Again I apologise that I don't always follow what our loving and caring leaders tells us what is the best thing to do.

So he should come on national tv and staye his preference? Thats confidential information that I'm sure you wouldnt state live on tv

We all knew their thoughts on abortion ref. Should that not have also been private ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i am an organ donor. if this opt out idea comes in, i will be opting out. no one wants the government having control of their organs.
    This was repeated ad nauseum earlier in the thread, but you know the family will have the final say, same as they do now? The changes basically mean they'll be asking the family for permission by default if they don't know your wishes, instead of the current situation where they only ask if they know your preferences.

No-one's organs will be taken without consultation.

By the way, currently your family can elect to donate your organs even if your expressly state you don't want that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

pgj2015 wrote: »

Some really strange bending of logic on this thread!

“The government shouldn’t control my organs, so I’m going to use the opt out system it provides to make sure they don’t” (even though I support organ donation.)

“I’m going to opt out because some government official might be opting out”

How about deciding if you’re in favour of organ donation and deciding for yourself if you’ll be a donor, based on your own feelings and not what ‘the government’ might be up to.

Maybe think about the lives that will be saved and changed dramatically by organ donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Your organs are now only on loan from the government.

Your organs are now only on loan from the government.

Unless you get off your arse, click 3 times on the site and opt out :rolleyes:

You know the "government" dont get to keep your organs right? What does the "government" gain from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd be very very surprised if Simon Harris wasn't an organ donor. An awfully flimsy excuse for petty selfish behavior. Fine, by all means opt out of donating but like others said, make sure you also "lead by example" and opt out of receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Unless you get off your arse, click 3 times on the site and opt out :rolleyes:

You know the "government" dont get to keep your organs right? What does the "government" gain from this?

They don't have to buy in organs for their Sunday dinner.

Stark wrote: »
    I'd be very very surprised if Simon Harris wasn't an organ donor. An awfully flimsy excuse for petty selfish behavior. Fine, by all means opt out of donating but like others said, make sure you also "lead by example" and opt out of receiving.

Suggesting our leaders lead by example is frowned upon in this thread. So is questioning any of their motives. Im still waiting for a tinfoil hat comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Suggesting our leaders lead by example is frowned upon in this thread. So is questioning any of their motives. Im still waiting for a tinfoil hat comment.

I’ve no idea if Simon Harris is an organ donor.

But - people have all kinds of reasons not to be. They may have objections on religious grounds. They may not be able to donate because of a medical condition. There may be a very good reason why someone is not a donor.
    You not being a donor, based on someone else’s circumstances, is not a very good reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its a bit sensitive topic to some i know when getting license i crossed off being organ donor, then again once your dead who gives a fck really, if it saves someone else why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The government now wants organ donation to be obligatory while on the other hand it won't be long before they are introducing euthanasia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bob Harris wrote: »
    The government now wants organ donation to be obligatory while on the other hand it won't be long before they are introducing euthanasia.

I dont suppose you actually have any basis for saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Hilarious, the people moaning would be the first to complain if the government slashed the HSE budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I dont suppose you actually have any basis for saying that?

I have the basis of my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But you still get the choice about what happens after you're dead. That's right and proper.

This is a complete storm in a teacup. Anyone who cares enough to Google "organ donation opt out" and tick the box, will be opted out. Those who don't care enough to do that, obviously don't care one way or the other. So I'm confident that anyone who wants to opt out will do so.

Anyone who cares enough to carry an "organ donation opt in" card will be opted in. Those who don't care enough to do that, obviously don't care one way or the other.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ipso wrote: »
    Maybe opt out of receiving an organ while you’re at it.

Doesn't work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Doesn't work like that.

Pity. It could be called an eye for an eye.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I have the basis of my opinion.

which is?

• Advertisement

Anyone who cares enough to carry an "organ donation opt in" card will be opted in. Those who don't care enough to do that, obviously don't care one way or the other.

Fixed that for you.

if they dont care one way or another then why would they care if their organs were donated by default?

Advertisement