Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Pugwall.

/thread

Unless it’s already been said. According to wiki it first aired in Australia in 1989. I remember thinking it was so bad that it was good.

I remember it used to be on in the early 90s here. I'll always remember how bad this was :pac:

I also remember this other Australian show from around the same time. The Girl from Tomorrow. Silverthorn gave me the creeps as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the serial they used to show during Anything Goes on a Saturday morning. It used to be on late in the morning.
    I was quite young and can only remember vague details. A plane flying over an island gets hit by some strange beam/laser and is brought down. I think the "badguys" in it were called mudmen?
    If I remember correctly, they never showed the end of it. The presenters announced one morning that they were about to show the final episode. The proceeding episode ended with "to be continued" and then cut back to the studio with the presenter saying they wouldn't be showing the rest and binning/burning a film reel (which was supposed to represent the show)

Mystery Island, that show used to creep me out, but not enough to stop me watching it. I don't remember too much about it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

brianomc wrote: »

Mystery Island, that show used to creep me out, but not enough to stop me watching it. I don't remember too much about it though

I just wonder why so many kids programs were creepy back then?

Was it us sensitive kids or just the programs were made by really weird people that didn't have a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

brianomc wrote: »

That's it. I had Mysterious Island in my head but could only find reference to a 1960s movie online. Cheers, good sleuthing!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Haven't seen this one listed, Tales of the Gold Monkey, basically a scuffed Indiana Jones. His "sidekick" was a dog with a patch over one eye that barked once for no & twice for yes (that part usually gets an "oh yeah" when mentioned).

And a few cartoons from 70's/80's:

The Hair Bear Bunch

Magilla Gorilla

The New Schmoo

Gonna include this one because RTE often shoved it into "cartoon time" (should read "schedule filler") after the news of an oul' Sunday. I imagine the schedulers thought "sure look, it's a cartoon isn't it?". Can't say I enjoyed it at the time, more like it was burned into my brain and was a good few years later before I realised what I'd been watching:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A series called Follyfoot which as far as I remember aired on RTE in the early 1970s. Desmond "Q" Llewelyn and Arthur English from Are You Being Served? played two of the main characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A series called Follyfoot which as far as I remember aired on RTE in the early 1970s. Desmond "Q" Llewelyn and Arthur English from Are You Being Served? played two of the main characters.

Wasn't it Follyfoot Farm or was that the location of the series or something else completely?

Edit> Follyfoot Farm was in the Follyfoot series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follyfoot .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Repeated in 1986
    Dates from 1971-73 - available on DVD, still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyone remember Dramarama? ITV anthology series for kids, it used to be quite dark at times. RTE used to show it as part of I think, Scratch Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Anyone remember Dramarama? ITV anthology series for kids, it used to be quite dark at times. RTE used to show it as part of I think, Scratch Saturday.

I remember it. It was on Action Station Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Used to be on after school on UTV in the 80's. I have vague memories of one of them where a young schoolgirl was being followed home by a creepy old git and his creepy missus. Can't remember what happened though.

I recall thinking as a child that it was a bit much for a kids programme.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Used to be on after school on UTV in the 80's. I have vague memories of one of them where a young schoolgirl was being followed home by a creepy old git and his creepy missus. Can't remember what happened though.

I recall thinking as a child that it was a bit much for a kids programme.

Also sounds like Tales Of The Unexpected The Flypaper

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Also sounds like Tales Of The Unexpected The Flypaper

OH shit! That's it.

I thought it was a Dramarama episode. Looks like it's available to watch in YouTube too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Can't say I liked it or not but I recall a cop show called Downtown. 1987 or so.

Can't say I liked it or not but I recall a cop show called Downtown. 1987 or so.

I remember the opening sequence which used a version of the song "Money" (famous for being covered by among others John Lennon and the Flying Lizards). Can't recall anything about the series itself though.

Not programmes I liked specifically but RTE precursors to Nationwide from the 80's/90's which have been largely forgotten I reckon.

Evening Extra, can't remember too much about it but Shay Healy was one of the presenters.

Down Here With A View To Above, this was all Cork related.

Faces And Places with Kathleen Watkins. The most obvious precursor to Nationwide. I remember the very twee theme music.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I remember RTE used to show When Things Were Rotten - an American sitcom based on Robin Hood either Saturday or Sunday evenings.

In my youthful innocence, I had no appreciation of the name Mel Brooks in the credits

Think it was Saturdays after Sports Stadium.

It was on on a Saturday evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Kilmore House, an RTE produced series dating from 1976 which followed the lives of several generations of a fictional Irish gentrified family over a 150 year period. It featured most of the top Irish TV actors of the time and I remember it getting fairly high ratings but as far as I know it was never repeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

The Beachcombers, from the early 70s, I remember it was very boring but we watched it anyway.
    I loved Seven Little Australians, I can still remember Judy's death scene, I cried buckets.

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I remember RTE used to show When Things Were Rotten - an American sitcom based on Robin Hood either Saturday or Sunday evenings.

In my youthful innocence, I had no appreciation of the name Mel Brooks in the credits

I remember that, the theme song brought memories back.

It was cancelled before the end of the first season

BrenMar wrote: »
    The Beachcombers, from the early 70s, I remember it was very boring but we watched it anyway.
    I loved Seven Little Australians, I can still remember Judy's death scene, I cried buckets.

The Beachcombers ran well into the 80's, memorable credits sequence with aerial shots of logs floating down a river.

Seven Little Australians doesn't ring a bell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Probably has been said, but CHiPS of course.
    Had such a crush on them.

We could get the little police shirts in Finns Corner.

English folk tales?

Might have been mentioned already, but cannot recall the name.

Started with an animated or sketched scene of a guy playing the lute?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    English folk tales?

Might have been mentioned already, but cannot recall the name.

Started with an animated or sketched scene of a guy playing the lute?

Storybook International

branie2 wrote: »
    Storybook International

Yes, thank you, that was it.
    Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Children of The Stones. One of my first memories of being scared by a tv series for kids

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Storybook International

Aesop's Fables were great moral tales too.
    Animated, I think.

Advertisement