Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Anyone remember The Nargun and the Stars. That giant moving rock scared the sh*te outta me as a young fella. And at school we were convinced Potcrock was living in the cistern above the urinal in the toilets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

Search Control was an American series from the seventies on BBC 1.
    Burgess Meredith was the controller, monitoring his agents via implants (ahead of its time maybe?)

Doug McClure was one of the agents.

Youtube clip coming up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Blackforest Clinic, an awful dubbed German medical drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The Blackforest Clinic, an awful dubbed German medical drama.
    Was starting to think I dreamt that !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Endaaaagh wrote:
    Anyone remember The Nargun and the Stars. That giant moving rock scared the sh*te outta me as a young fella. And at school we were convinced Potcrock was living in the cistern above the urinal in the toilets

Yes it was great. The big moving stone was creepy alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

ahh...grasshopper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

The Everglades. Early 1960's on RTE.

I can still remember that they interrupted an episode in Nov 1963 to tell us that JFK had been shot in Dallas. And to this day, they have NEVER broadcast the bit that wasn't transmitted that night. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I liked "Salvage 1" - it was a hard sci fi show about guys who would collect space junk to sell as scrap metal. Issac Asimov was the science advisor for the program - so the science worked (ie, hard sci fi). It must have had a lasting impact on me because I seem to be the only person who remembers it - Ive never met anyone else who does.

Also "Bring Em Back Alive" - it was a sort of great white hunter adventure series, in retrospect it was totally un-pc but I liked it!

I liked "Manimal" as well but people do remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

dougm1970 wrote: »
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

ahh...grasshopper..
    No, grasshopper was Kung Fu.

The other one was Monkey Magic. It was utterly bizarre. Could never figure out what was going on. It featured a character with a pig's face IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a monkey magic remake in 2018!

https://thewest.com.au/entertainment/tv/waapa-grad-stars-in-monkey-magic-reboot-ng-b88716879z

This is the original actress who played the male/boy monk, sadly died young.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masako_Natsume
    She died from acute leukemia at the age of 27 in 1985 and is buried in Hōfu, Yamaguchi under the dharma name Masako Nishiyama.

monkey8.jpg

monkey9.jpg

I remember great confusion over whether it was a boy or a girl, long before the days of the internet!

The new series causes it all over again!
    Tripitaka is a young girl posing as a boy monk (the original role was a boy monk played by actress Masako Natsume) and Cocquerel’s Sandy, who is somewhat androgynous, was originally male and portrayed by actor Shiro Kishibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    No, grasshopper was Kung Fu.

The other one was Monkey Magic. It was utterly bizarre. Could never figure out what was going on. It featured a character with a pig's face IIRC.

Ah yes, Pigsy! I think he was a demi god of sorts. He seemed to be a bit fond of the ladies.

I found a translation of the 17th century Chinese book Monkey is based on a few years ago, it's on my 'will read at some stage list'!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For fans of Cosgrove Hall animations, David Jason (the voice of Dangerman, Count Duckula & Toad in Wind in the Willows) hosts a BBC radio tribute to the studio's work.

Available on BBC radio player for next 30 days - BBC radio is available in ROI, not geo-blocked:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ccz0r

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The Handmaid's Tale
    Breaking Bad
    HAWAIIAN HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love/Hate
    Miami Vice

The Handmaid's Tale
    Breaking Bad
    HAWAIIAN HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love/Hate
    Miami Vice

Hawaiian Heat is a good shout but as for the rest... Handmaid's Tale is still airing!

Miami vice was one of the major series of the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hawaiian Heat is a good shout but as for the rest... Handmaid's Tale is still airing!

Miami vice was one of the major series of the 80s.

Yes, that was done deliberately!!! Place an unknown programme among iconic 1980s shows and iconic later programmes everyone knows. That's why Hawaiian Heat was put in capitals.

Any one remember Beach Boys: Endless Summer? RTE showed it in 88 or 89. The main thing I remember about were these awful variety acts they would have on inbeteeen the Beach Boys. The worst was a guy with a puppet. The puppet was called Rocky or Rocco and wore a leather jacket.

Any one remember Beach Boys: Endless Summer? RTE showed it in 88 or 89. The main thing I remember about were these awful variety acts they would have on inbeteeen the Beach Boys. The worst was a guy with a puppet. The puppet was called Rocky or Rocco and wore a leather jacket.

Seems like I had the fortune \ misfortune to dodge that one.

I have fond memories of the California Dreams TV series that aired a few years later...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not awfully old but from the mid 2000s.

At Home with the Braithwaites.

About a woman who won 24 million in the UK lotto and went through series 1 without telling her highly dysfunctional family.

The family went even more dysfunctional in the next two series. The money went to their heads and all kinds of madness ensued. It was very well cast especially the youngest daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I have a vague memory of a cartoon based around a king and knights.
    The only thing I remember was the animation was the same as that used for Captain Pugwash

The only thing I remember was the animation was the same as that used for Captain Pugwash

King Rollo?
    kingrollo_8667.jpg

• Advertisement

James the Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Very limited "special effects" if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭donegal_man

odyssey06 wrote: »
    King Rollo?

It could be, but I don't think so. The one I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure involved knights rather than a magician and a cat. Then again, it's a long time ago.

Can anyone remember the serial they used to show during Anything Goes on a Saturday morning. It used to be on late in the morning.
    I was quite young and can only remember vague details. A plane flying over an island gets hit by some strange beam/laser and is brought down. I think the "badguys" in it were called mudmen?
    If I remember correctly, they never showed the end of it. The presenters announced one morning that they were about to show the final episode. The proceeding episode ended with "to be continued" and then cut back to the studio with the presenter saying they wouldn't be showing the rest and binning/burning a film reel (which was supposed to represent the show)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

my3cents wrote: »
    Very limited "special effects" if I remember correctly.

Obviously it was a rerun I saw in 1980 and the reason it sticks in my head is immediately after one of the episodes the news came on to say John Lennon was shot.

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the serial they used to show during Anything Goes on a Saturday morning. It used to be on late in the morning.
    I was quite young and can only remember vague details. A plane flying over an island gets hit by some strange beam/laser and is brought down. I think the "badguys" in it were called mudmen?
    If I remember correctly, they never showed the end of it. The presenters announced one morning that they were about to show the final episode. The proceeding episode ended with "to be continued" and then cut back to the studio with the presenter saying they wouldn't be showing the rest and binning/burning a film reel (which was supposed to represent the show)

I remember the bit with the plane and the laser beam, I can't remember the name of the show. Some online sleuthing is required.

I remember the bit with the plane and the laser beam, I can't remember the name of the show. Some online sleuthing is required.

Nice to know I didn't imagine it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Would it be "Arthur"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220912/?ref_=tt_urv

I remember that Lancelot used to take a giant stride into the picture and say " I sssay, Sssire!" in a Leslie Philips type voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Pugwall.

/thread

Unless it’s already been said. According to wiki it first aired in Australia in 1989. I remember thinking it was so bad that it was good.

Advertisement