Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Caught moxley/lee this morning was really good as much as I think Brodie lee character is terrible he can still bring it in the ring

The stadium match was so much fun I do love cinematic wrestling right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

That stadium stampede was the drizzling ****s with awful commentary.

Cody is his own biggest fan. Guy is a complete mark for himself.

Hopefully thats Brodie Lee finished as a main-eventer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

ricero wrote: »

Cody is his own biggest fan. Guy is a complete mark for himself.

Hopefully thats Brodie Lee finished as a main-eventer.

I can't help myself...

Tell me why for all 3 of those.

Totally agree, ghastly stuff. Page on the horse was cool but aside from that...

JR's heart is not in it and I cannot blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I can't help myself...

He probably can't, cause he probably never even watched the entire show, and is basing his opinion on clips seen on YouTube.

But I can guarantee you, if it was the other way around and WWE did it, he'd be tripping over himself with praise for them and the gold standard does it again, Vince is a visionary or some other form of nauseous verbal deep throating he's heaped on the WWE since this whole pandemic/shows with no crowds allowed started.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He probably can't, cause he probably never even watched the entire show, and is basing his opinion on clips seen on YouTube.

Like the only way you could come out of that 3 and a half hours with only negative takes (and ridiculously over the top ones too) is if you're entering into the show in bad faith in the first place. People like that could've posted their takes on the show days ago because their mind was already made up no matter what happened.

Like the only way you could come out of that 3 and a half hours with only negative takes (and ridiculously over the top ones too) is if you're entering into the show in bad faith in the first place. People like that could've posted their takes on the show days ago because their mind was already made up no matter what happened.

If's it not in the WWE bubble, it's automatically **** in his eyes. Or if Jim Cornette's ****ting on it, you can be sure he's rowing in behind Jim with his views.

This happens so much these days people hate watching aew or wwe just so they can have something to complain out or cause they don’t like the company or wrestlers.

If's it not in the WWE bubble, it's automatically **** in his eyes. Or if Jim Cornette's ****ting on it, you can be sure he's rowing in behind Jim with his views.

I legit can't get my head around treating wrestling companies like a football team you support. Like it's the rise tinted glasses stuff but transfered to a wrestling company and it's odd but it totally dilutes any views you'll have on wrestling cos it's all seen through the lense of WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Alternatively for some if it is in the WWE bubble it's automatically **** or if Jim Cornette says it you can be sure others are rowing against his views!

• Advertisement

I legit can't get my head around treating wrestling companies like a football team you support. Like it's the rise tinted glasses stuff but transfered to a wrestling company and it's odd but it totally dilutes any views you'll have on wrestling cos it's all seen through the lense of WWE.

I'll give him credit where it's due, he'll lob his views into a thread, and when challenged, or responded to he's gone rapid. That and facile posts.

It's almost like he can't actually expand on his views, like he's afraid he'll slip up, or something.

Alternatively for some if it is in the WWE bubble it's automatically **** or if Jim Cornette says it you can be sure others are rowing against his views!

Well in the context of the poster mentioned, it's correct. Unless someone can show me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Found the show great.mjf and jungle boy was brilliant. Matt hardy showed what could have been if vince had balls to go with broken matt. Sammy stole the main event for me hes brilliant.

It’s both sides for sure the you must only enjoy one side of wrestling is painful every company has good and bad just enjoy what you enjoy don’t watch it if you don’t enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'll just say this, if it was a WWE PPV last night that had a drowning spot there would be a dozen posts reviled by it.

Crass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man, JR really seemed confused over what Taz's relationship with Cage is. Like, I'd have thought it was pretty obvious, but JR asked so often, all through the show, that I'm now wondering if Taz and Cage are lovers or something.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. The Stadium match was right up my alley, and the ladder match was fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I can't help myself...

1. The stampede was cartoony and the commentary was laughing. Fair play for WWE perfecting the no commentary for these cinematic matches.

Also no need for the water spot especially with the events of this past week.

2. Tramp stamp Archer is ruined now by Cody's ego.

3. Brodie Lee has worse mic skills than Sid Vicious. He should be nowhere near the title belt. Hes a mid-carder for life.

This is an internet wrestling forum. These are my opinions.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'll just say this, if it was a WWE PPV last night that had a drowning spot there would be a dozen posts reviled by it.

Crass.

Yeah, they should've changed that when news of Shad's death broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Loved the Stadium Stampede, just great pro-wrestling entertainment. The stadium looked brilliant, reminded me of some of the old WCCW stadium shows. So many highlights, the Moonsault off the bar was something else. The 100 yard suplex, the Judas Effect to Jaxson de Ville, Aubrey and the replay tent and the One-Winged Angel from the seats were class.

Thought the two world title matches were really good, pleased that Shida won, she's one of the best female wrestlers in the world, much rather see her with the belt than Nyla. Really enjoyed the ladder match too, Fenix would have been brilliant in that environment but thought Janela done very well, the DVD off the apron to Darby looked great.

Also was delighted to see Brian Cage as the mystery entrant, he was definitely the right man to win. Had to laugh at some of the critical shouts online this week that the mystery man was guaranteed to be one of the recent WWE releases, people were giving out about something that hadn't even happened yet in their eagerness to take a shot at AEW. A solid night for JR, Tony and Excalibur too, all in all another excellent PPV from AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Enjoyed it overall.

Seeing Cage facing off with Luchasaurus made me think how many Lucha Underground wrestlers they have now.
    I know they needed to make him come in strong, but they didn't need Cage to win to doe that. Like Brodie Lee just came in and got a title shot right away and now Cage. What happened to rankings deciding?
    So how does this title shot work? Is it like MitB where they can come out at any time and cash in, or do they have to schedule a match?

Glad Shida won, though still trying to figure out why she was the only one with subtitles in the video package.

That TNT title looks like someone smoothed out a piece of tinfoil. Don't know if the right decision was made. Let Cody be the first champion or have him chase it?

The main event was fun, though a 10 person match that spread out does have its problems. Like while Hager, Page and Omega are fighting in the bar, what are all the others doing? Same with the Hardy bit. Speaking of the bar, how long must that milk have been sitting there of the bar has been closed down all this time?
    Was expecting Sammy to get distracted by or hit on the cheerleaders.

Maybe I need to watch more Dark, but there were so many at ringside I didn't know. Like who was the woman with Sonny and Big Swole? Was that Juice with Billy Gunn?

I wonder if there's anyone who criticised the WWE cinematic matches that will praise this. And I don't mean criticise the content of the match, but just the fact that WWE did them in the first place.

• Advertisement

1. The stampede was cartoony and the commentary was laughing. Fair play for WWE perfecting the no commentary for these cinematic matches.

3. Brodie Lee has worse mic skills than Sid Vicious. He should be nowhere near the title belt. Hes a mid-carder for life.

Why? One of the big gripes about the MITB especially was the silly background music which was laid on so thick to tell people when to laugh. Like they don't even trust their own audience to know when to laugh, that's the stage they've gotten to. The commentary made it feel more like a match, I'd much rather that.

Also opinions only work if they're consistent. You can't criticise something for being cartoony and then love something because it's cartoony.

To me last night felt more like a ramped up version of the Dynamite tag falls count anywhere match from 3 weeks ago and I liked most of it, the comedy landed mainly, the thing had loads of call backs and don't forget that there was real work rate too, Sammy Guevara bumped like a mad man for 45 minutes. The stuff last night worked because it feels vibrant, it feels organic. In comparison to what WWE have tried during this where, aside from the Boneyard match, the rest have required a laughable amount of exposition (like seriously, it's not that tough to follow!!) or a backing track to make sure you know when you laugh, this didn't feel like they were talking down to you and at least made you think that the people in charge of AEW don't think their fanbase are idiots.

I don't get point 2 either. In fact I think what's happened here is that years and years of 50/50 booking which ultimately gets nobody over has made you think that clean results in wrestling bury the losing wrestler, often that's not the case when its done well. Last night was probably the highest profile singles match of Archer's career, I don't think he's been buried at all.

He literally just had one of the best empty arena matches last night since this thing started. It was physical, tight, well worked and had an absolutely brilliant finish which made him look even better in defeat than he did coming into the match.

Again, I know this is a waste of time and I know there's like a gimmick thing going on with the opinions that you give but opinions given in bad faith on pro wrestling just comes off as silly. Like you have to go into every company and every show with an open mind. Having ready formulated opinions that you're going to give regardless is not a wrestling debate, it's just performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The chip isn't like MITB, Khan already announced Cage/Mox for Fyter Fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If matt hardy was the one who was tone deaf enough to come up with the pool spot then it proves that wwe were right to handcuff his broken brilliance, shame because the other lads put in a shift.

Boneyard was better though.....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If matt hardy was the one who was tone deaf enough to come up with the pool spot then it proves that wwe were right to handcuff his broken brilliance, shame because the other lads put in a shift.

Boneyard was better though.....

That is one hell of a clutching at straws to be honest. It's not like Matt Hardy knew when he left the WWE in March, that Shad would tragically drown 2 months later. No one saw that coming. So to pin it all on Matt Hardy is unfair.

With hindsight, and I've already said it, it's a spot that should've been changed when the news of Shad's death was officially confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That is one hell of a clutching at straws to be honest. It's not like Matt Hardy knew when he left the company in March, that Shad would tragically drown 2 months later. No one saw that coming. So to pin it all on Matt Hardy is unfair.

With hindsight, and I've already said it, it's a spot that should've been changed when the news of Shad's death was officially confirmed.

Again, I said if..... But somebody came up with the idea, and Matt likes to take credit for everything ever, so IF he came up with a spot where he was held underwater the week a colleague drowned and IF he's not creative enough to change the spot to something better on a pretaped match, then maybe wwe not letting him have creative control of a character wasn't the worst thing.

If somebody else came up with the spot and didn't change it, they're a ****ing idiot and so are the lads who agreed to it.

Plus the Damascus stuff is **** anyway...

The drowning spot was stupid and goofy, even without the tragic passing of Gaspard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

WwE perfected cinematic? MItB was a **** show with a backing track, with essentially a laughing track, and you’re saying perfected? Last night was everything MItB wisheD it could be and more, take out the water spot, it was small and okay should have been moved, it takes nothing away from what was a wonderful cinematic match!
    Showcased all the wrestlers individually(as opposed to a stupid mop slipping moment in ‘cinematic perfection’) and told the story that AEW have built to since last years DoN. With the hangman story still to resolve itself.

Cody winning TNT makes perfect sense, he’s the face of the company, I imagine that was a TNT suggestion also, Archer can go to the world title picture and do very well in that.

People complain when the elite lose and the elite win, it can’t be both ways, Archer still looks strong.

Brodie has bad mic skills, that’s baffling, he’s had very good promos on dynamite and the dark order adds to the gimmick, he’s a marauding cult leader, who can go in the ring. It gives the Do legitimacy. And last night did more for him in 20 minutes that years in another company did for him!

Be a WWE fanboy all you want, but make points that can actually hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

J. Marston wrote: »

Crass.

The water spot was unnecessary, but it was a tiny spot on the card, it lasted just a few minutes in a 30 minute spot filled match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Totally agree, ghastly stuff. Page on the horse was cool but aside from that...

JR's heart is not in it and I cannot blame him.

I saw a glimpse of JR at his best when Cage and Luchasauras squared up.

But I don't blame him for his lack of enthusiasm at times.....I mean he was lost for words when Stunt entered the match to assist Luchasauras and I don't ****ing blame him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good show from start to finish. Only negative thing in my opinion was putting the belt on Cody. I enjoy his in ring work since AEW started but I don’t believe in Cody in much as Cody believes in himself.

I said a while back my biggest fear with AEW was Cody and the Elite would make it a vanity project. And there are slow signs that’s happening. They all stand tall when it matters.

Another thing that annoys me is I don’t buy Moxley as the champion, didn’t buy it when Ambrose was champ in WWE don’t buy it now. The world title division needs a massive overhaul. Lee and Moxley are nowhere near main event level stars.

I should clarify yes they’re two small gripes but AEW are miles ahead of the tripe WWE are putting out lately. I genuinely feel wins matter in AEW. Where I don’t feel anything matters in WWE. Rollins loses at Mania have a title shot. Lashley been floating midcard for ages and stuck with a horrendous Lana angle have a title shot.

AEW is good for business and anything they can do to get eyes on the wrestling world is a good thing.

MJF again IMO is the future of AEW, he could be their first produced megastar.

Advertisement