Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A big winning point on AEW PPV’s for me is they hold them on a Saturday night and not a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

The mansion on the side of the TNT belt is Ted Turners mansion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd rank the show somewhere around a solid meh.

Missed the pre-show.

Opening ladder match completely didn't do it for me, but those kind of matches rarely do. I was actually kind of intrigued by the initial dynamic between Scorpio and Frankie K, and I think they'd have had a great singles ladder match, but once the spot-monkeys started arriving I lost interest.

MJF vs Jungle Boy. Match of the night. MJF was always solid-beyond-his-years in the ring, but this was a coming of age for Jungle Boy. He has shown terrific improvement over the last year. Sky is the limit for these two.

Cody vs Archer. This was a miss. Cody's matches have all delivered so far, so surprising to see this one, with such a solid build, fall so flat. Just too many moving parts. Arn and Jake, the regular cuts to Tyson, all the distractions just didn't let you get absorbed in the match, and the story being told in the ring.

Standlander vs Ford, Spears vs Dustin - drop these two completely unnecessary segments and you keep the show to a more manageable length.

Shida and Rose worked a hell of a match. But I can't get over the opportunity lost with Rose. She's now firmly in the camp of "good physical worker", where she should be an unstoppable force. She could be a female Brock Lesnar, but she's becoming more and more like a non-comedic Big E. Shida does not have the promo for a title run, though she does have something about her. Reminds me of the Ryu character from Street Fighter.

Mox vs Lee - In some respects, this was a good, G1 style, hard hitting contest. But I also didn't think for a second that Lee was going to win, so for most of the match I was just waiting to see how they'd protect him in the finish. With this in mind, if Moxley is winning, I wouldn't give Lee ANY offence outside the ring. Protect Lee by telling the story of how Moxley needed to go to those depths to beat him.

Finally, the stampede match had me (I popped when the horse appeared, I won't lie) until the bullcrap in the pool and what followed with the referees throwing flags, Jericho getting a line painted over him etc. They're all short-term giggles at the long-term expense of the product's legitimacy. If they'd kept all the action in or around the ring, on the field, and shot the whole thing live-sports style, as they did in the opening 5-10 minutes, it may have actually worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Kenny Omega has jizzed himself somewhere at that Shida Ryu comparison.

Some posters on here really are the drizzling ****s. Turning everything into an argument pro or against WWE rather than a discussion.

I personally thought it was a great show. A little underwhelmed by the stampede match. I think it went on a little too long and the final spot was let down by the massive lingering shots of the inflatable jump cushion. Had great moments though.

Thought the ladder match was exciting and mjf and jungle boy were amazing. Was a little bored by moxley and Brodie but it ended up grabbing my attention before the end.

Cody was the wrong person to go over but all in all, really good.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd rank the show somewhere around a solid meh.

That is a good, solid, review.

I can see why Cody went over as the first TNT Champion for publicity reasons with TNT using him.

A suited Cody can be really corporate and well spoken along with the Rhodes name TNT/Warner Brothers/AT&T can use him for publicity as he is the Face of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I can see why Cody went over as the first TNT Champion for publicity reasons with TNT using him.

A suited Cody can be really corporate and well spoken along with the Rhodes name TNT/Warner Brothers/AT&T can use him for publicity as he is the Face of the company.

Thought that myself, the publicity shots with Tyson etc. were probably worth more than an Archer title reign. Archer is great and I wanted him to win, but it makes sense why they went with Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's also no point having a heel champion with no crowd, have cody do the cena open challenge shtick, then on your first show with a ravenous paying crowd, BOOM, Archer claws a bloody cody rhodes into unconsciousness and is made......

Yeah no problem at all with Cody winning, the match just fell on its arse for me.

For starters, if Jake can't take a spine-buster, he shouldn't be putting the snake on Brandi. Backing away from a ham-acting Tyson isn't exactly a pay-off.

Why not have Archer do the snake bit, but following Jake's order. Then keep Cody and Archer separated until the match.

And for God's sake don't have Cody coming out with his muscle-flex posing routine for a grudge match!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There's also no point having a heel champion with no crowd, have cody do the cena open challenge shtick, then on your first show with a ravenous paying crowd, BOOM, Archer claws a bloody cody rhodes into unconsciousness and is made......

I actually thought they should go other way archer wins and Cody finally gets the win in first show crowds return to make a big moment with the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

sky88 wrote: »
    I actually thought they should go other way archer wins and Cody finally gets the win in first show crowds return to make a big moment with the crowd

But then you'd have 2 babyface champions competing in front of the live crowd, give the TV audience cody as the face of TV for a couple of weeks to build the title, don't waste moxley on tv matches, then when the crowds back do the switch, Archer is immediately a big deal in the paying crowds eyes, Cody's not hurt by the loss and Moxley is still THE guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He could be the most well-spoken wrestler ever but if they try to do non-wrestling publicity with him people will just assume "Redneck" when they see that tattoo.

The sooner they can get Jungle Boy into mainstream publicity roles, the sooner the Kahn's can just start printing (even more) money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Say what you want i think the TNT title is beautiful.

hkXYvLy.jpg

Tyson is going to be on Dynamite on Wednesday.

He really needs to knock someone out.

Tony Khan saying they signed Cage while he was injured in January and have been paying him since then.

Taz being paired with him has always been the plan from when he signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ajsmiles

As a boxing/mma/ wrestling fan ,
    who couldn't give 2 hoots to the football/ rugby starting again. This ppv was something to look forward to and it delivered, the title matches where good ,the main event was an excellent. First match I watched twice in years. ðŸ‘

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But then you'd have 2 babyface champions competing in front of the live crowd, give the TV audience cody as the face of TV for a couple of weeks to build the title, don't waste moxley on tv matches, then when the crowds back do the switch, Archer is immediately a big deal in the paying crowds eyes, Cody's not hurt by the loss and Moxley is still THE guy.

moxley doesnt come off as the guy to me i still think it comes off the elite are the guys but especially cody for most of the companys history except for when moxley was going against jericho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wrestlers must hate kendo stick spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Tyson is going to be on Dynamite on Wednesday.

He really needs to knock someone out.

This would be perfect for Maxwell Jacob Friedman. The guy is the type of heel who you want to see get knocked out. I can just imagine Cody cutting a promo and MJF interrupts and it leads to Tyson knocking him out.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    This would be perfect for Maxwell Jacob Friedman. The guy is the type of heel who you want to see get knocked out. I can just imagine Cody cutting a promo and MJF interrupts and it leads to Tyson knocking him out.

It’ll be Jericho

Jericho was to leave for a few months to go touring with Fozzy, I wonder will he take time off anyway or will he stay pretty much on TV every week now.

Also yes it will be Jericho taking a punch to play off Tyson knocking him out years ago.

You really want MJF getting comeuppance in front of a live crowd at a PPV not weekly TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

So on the latest episode of being the elite the villain marty scurl made his return with them all acting as if they didnt recognize him
    Marty's deal with Roh allows him to work elsewhere do looks like the villain is aew bound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

So on the latest episode of being the elite the villain marty scurl made his return with them all acting as if they didnt recognize him
    Marty's deal with Roh allows him to work elsewhere do looks like the villain is aew bound

In and out through the closet door too :D The Bucks wearing the gear that WWE wanted the Revival in was gas as well, the state of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

In and out through the closet door too :D The Bucks wearing the gear that WWE wanted the Revival in was gas as well, the state of it!

Wwe sent the revival a cease and decist for even showing the photo of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I honestly wasn't expecting his cameo. Nice little surprise I've to say.

Fyter Fest was due to be in London :(

• Advertisement

Adam Cole partied with the AEW crew after Double or Nothing on Monday night.

Now for the tin foil hat his contract is up in the coming months.

Adam to join his Girlfriend

Advertisement