Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

sirmanga wrote: »
    But I'm not a thigh slapper, like 98% of the AEW roster.

Thigh-slapping isn't brand exclusive. It's an epidemic these days. I say some wrestlers do in their normal lives out of habit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sirmanga wrote: »
    But I'm not a thigh slapper, like 98% of the AEW roster.

Every NXT takeover comes with 1,000% extra thigh slapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

The bang of mark in the last few posts in this thread is palpable.

You lads would want to get over yourselves and watch a tv show you actually enjoy, instead of fluffing your superiority complex by over-analyzing the most mundane facets of shows clearly designed for a broad audience.

If you're looking for hyper-realism then you might be watching the wrong scripted, pre-determined fake sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

One wrestling fan referring to another wrestling fan as a mark comes across really poorly, like you think 'I'm the smartest guy in the room' and decide to show everyone.

The best moments being a wrestling fan is when you lose yourself in the moment, or 'mark out'. Are we really using this as a derogatory term for one another?

Crack on if you want, but I for one enjoy being a mark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

So just to steer this another way, the AEW ppv coming up this weekend, how are we feeling going in? The consensus is that this has been the best built show they've done yet, 3 of their 4 biggest stars are in the 2 main event slots and they've hit a golden patch on TV where every segment is a home-run or close (though that's not yet been reflected in the ratings). In theory, they should crush their best ppv number with this show, how do you guys think it will do? What's your most anticipated match?

Also leading in to the ppv with a Kenny/Pac 30 minute match is something I like, on your go home show you're basically saying "look, buy this ppv and you'll get more action like this." It's a good advertisement for what the company is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

So just to steer this another way, the AEW ppv coming up this weekend, how are we feeling going in? The consensus is that this has been the best built show they've done yet, 3 of their 4 biggest stars are in the 2 main event slots and they've hit a golden patch on TV where every segment is a home-run or close (though that's not yet been reflected in the ratings). In theory, they should crush their best ppv number with this show, how do you guys think it will do? What's your most anticipated match?

Also leading in to the ppv with a Kenny/Pac 30 minute match is something I like, on your go home show you're basically saying "look, buy this ppv and you'll get more action like this." It's a good advertisement for what the company is about.

i'm really interested in the mox/jericho match as to put it politely there matches have been fairly poor and jericho hasnt got better since then so interested can they pull something out of the bag here.

will be interesting to see if they can pull in some of the tv viewers into ppv buying figures my guess is it stays around the same mark as before even tho the product has been great the last month

sky88 wrote: »
    i'm really interested in the mox/jericho match as to put it politely there matches have been fairly poor and jericho hasnt got better since then so interested can they pull something out of the bag here.

will be interesting to see if they can pull in some of the tv viewers into ppv buying figures my guess is it stays around the same mark as before even tho the product has been great the last month

I think Jericho has delivered in most, if not all, of his big matches post WWE. I'm hoping the red hot atmosphere and lack of WWE road agents might lead to a hot, brawling style match with a few short-cuts thrown in.

That's the fear, trying to convince someone to pay 60 dollars when wrestling ppvs are now set a value of 10 dollars is a tough sell. When WWE messed up the wrestling ppv market they not only did so for themselves but every other company that wants to run ppv in America.

I think Jericho has delivered in most, if not all, of his big matches post WWE. I'm hoping the red hot atmosphere and lack of WWE road agents might lead to a hot, brawling style match with a few short-cuts thrown in.

That's the fear, trying to convince someone to pay 60 dollars when wrestling ppvs are now set a value of 10 dollars is a tough sell. When WWE messed up the wrestling ppv market they not only did so for themselves but every other company that wants to run ppv in America.

i disagree after the 1st omega match its gone downhill in entertainment for me and i think jericho definitely is saved from the sentiment everything is better outside wwe that a lot of fans have.

oh id never pay 60 dollars for a ppv in any entertainment/sport streaming has ruined me

sky88 wrote: »
    i disagree after the 1st omega match its gone downhill in entertainment for me and i think jericho definitely is saved from the sentiment everything is better outside wwe that a lot of fans have.

oh id never pay 60 dollars for a ppv in any entertainment/sport streaming has ruined me

I dunno, I think if you don't mind a bit of plunder every so often at the top of your big NJPW shows then I think he's been good. The Naito match at WK was brilliant, the Okada match drew a big crowd on top, I enjoyed the Tana and Evil matches too and honestly thought the AEW main event vs Omega was fantastic.

As a special attraction he totally works for me, every week? I'd probably get bored of seeing his style of match. Once every couple of months in a well built match? Sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I agree, Jericho has been fantastic in both AEW and NJPW, really looking forward to him and Mox. Bucks vs Omega & Page is my most anticipated match though, all have been on fire in the ring lately.

• Advertisement

I agree, Jericho has been fantastic in both AEW and NJPW, really looking forward to him and Mox. Bucks vs Omega & Page is my most anticipated match though, all have been on fire in the ring lately.

Love how they've turned around Hangman. From the start of the company he just seemed like the odd guy out, honestly thought it was a shame for him personally cos when AEW started he was just starting to move up the NJPW card and had come off a hot G1 run, remember Harold Meij namedropping him and Ospreay and their next 2 big gaijin wrestlers. Honestly I thought AEW came at exactly the wrong time for Hangman but he's stuck it out and that dismal build to the Jericho title match seems like it's been put in the rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

Monokne wrote: »
    One wrestling fan referring to another wrestling fan as a mark comes across really poorly, like you think 'I'm the smartest guy in the room' and decide to show everyone.

The best moments being a wrestling fan is when you lose yourself in the moment, or 'mark out'. Are we really using this as a derogatory term for one another?

Crack on if you want, but I for one enjoy being a mark. :)

Case in point.

But sure crack on. :P

Archer signed good signing should have let him debut as a surprise on the ppv tho

https://twitter.com/aewrestling/status/1232765112169136128?s=21

Surprised by this. I don't see much in Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I have no idea who he is, so as a surprise it would have been totally flat with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Aul Tramp Stamp himself.

Adiboo wrote: »
    I have no idea who he is, so as a surprise it would have been totally flat with me.

He was a bottom of the card guy in WWE for a few years. Went to New Japan and had an ok tag team with Harry Smith. Won one of their undercard titles too.

He's not much to be honest. This is what he looked like in WWE:
    vance+archer+ecw.jpg

He’ll be a decent mid carder and different than majority of the roster with his height

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Monokne wrote: »
    He was a bottom of the card guy in WWE for a few years. Went to New Japan and had an ok tag team with Harry Smith. Won one of their undercard titles too.

He's not much to be honest. This is what he looked like in WWE:
    vance+archer+ecw.jpg

Christ he’s “grown”

But as stated I don’t think anyone would have marked for a Ppv run in, but a few teaser promos might have been better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pac Omega 30 minute ironman was awesome.

• Advertisement

Luchasaurus and Jungle boy are brilliant.

Pac vs Orange on PPV could be really good if done right.

Nice sit down with the Elite before they face each other for the tag belts on Saturday.

Gary Michael Cappetta :)

The weigh in was deadly fun and great way to end the go home show for a PPV.

What I am really loving about AEW commentary is they actually call the action and tell the story of what happing in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Show was a bit clunky for me. I notice Taz was mostly on comms instead of Tony? Just didn't really click for me.

They have been doing the first hour with Tony then he goes to do interviews for the second hour and Taz replaces in on commentary for the last hour fir the last couple of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This preview show is great. Exactly what they need to do for the ppv

Yes an excellent way to build to the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dynamite really has been great the last few weeks, Omega/PAC was just a fantastic wrestling match.

AEW 865K

NXT 717K

The build to Revolution has been brilliant and last nights show was fantastic.

So Excited about Revolution, honestly can't remember the last time I've been so excited about an American wrestling show. Loved Dynamite again this week, that Omega/Pac match was an epic, the Elite sit down angle, the video package for Cody/MJF (why put them on the show when they peaked the angle last week) and the go home Mox/Jericho segment were all tremendous and the rest of the stuff was pretty good too. I wasn't sure I'd get into AEW as a company but honestly I'm 100% on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Pac Omega 30 minute ironman was awesome.

Fantastic match and Omega looked incredible

Advertisement