Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it's a strange one. Wardlow as champ didn't seem to work, but at the same time, I don't recall seeing that much of him on-screen until the Joe feud started. Also, I've never really seen what it is that people loved so much about Samoa Joe until last night when I could hear him let rip a promo (I wasn't really watching wrestling for the last 10+ years). Maybe he'll be off till his top-knot grows back? :)

Yea, I guess it'll set up a decent feud for Toni and Shida if they do an "ambushed backstage" bit maybe on Rampage or BotB this Friday. They could even leave it till Wednesday, but you want to get that "we've all but confirmed it, but there's still a small lingering doubt" kind of energy that they had for Punk and other new signings which seems to leave everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah have to imagine it's a misdirect and that Shida will take out Toni only for Mercedes to step-up. Otherwise it's an absolute fumble on AEW's part, considering all the hint in Britt's promo.

Think being the TNT champ might be the kick in the arse Darby needs as he's been a bit directionless lately and his first run was great. I do not understand the Wardlow booking unless the plan is for him and Joe to feud for the ROH TV championship. I feel like Joe's King of TV had more legs but at the same time I think Joe has looked a bit washed the last while so I'm not overly crushed either. Darby winning felt like a good moment.

I have to eat some words a bit but Jeff Jarrett has been pretty damn entertaining so far as much as I don't like the rest of the stable at all, him trying to block Aubrey was absolute carny heel gold. The Gunns promo was also a lot of fun and I don't care for them but it was great, not sure waht the story with FTR is going forward either.

I will say surprisingly the big match set-ups I'm not feeling. Hangman's whole, wait till I'm cleared storyline just doesn't do anything for me, especially when he hasn't been fighting a long term injury or anything, just feels weird. I'm not sure how I feel about MJF as champ tbh, his promos have come off as so lazy and samey lately. I know he was baited into it but doing the whole 'Trials' to face him again is so tired. Also have to say that if they're doing an hour long Iron Man please for the love of God cut down on the card, AEW have an awful habit of overlong PPVs already.

I thought the 'new look' thing was way overblown. Some slightly different graphics maybe but the stage is worse, I'm just not a fan of everything being a screen, I miss the tunnels already.

All that said it was a great Dynamite, they've really been doing much better off the back of Full Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭kksaints

Somewhat wondering if the choosing of Toni as the tag team partner is what it will turn out to be and whether they might wait to debut Mercedes/Sasha after the match or at a later date and hoping that some of the edge off her not particularly well received NJPW introduction will have worn off. Now I still expect her to be the tag partner but I'm more curious now than I was previously.

Good to see Darby with the TNT Belt again, he had a great first run with the belt and he's been spinning wheels the last year so hopefully this will give him a new lease of life.

The MJF trials storyline is very repetitive at this stage, it's been done twice now and it wasn't particularly great last time out. His championship reign has been underwhelming so far tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

MJF requires his potential opponent to fight multiple others before facing him? Good to see them coming up with an original idea.

And Aubrey could do with being consistent. What's the difference between Sammy being seemingly unconscious and Tony Nese? But she checked Sammy's hand and not Tony's. That seem sto only be done these days if the person is going to make a comeback.

Yeah, look like they're setting up a heel turn for Shida.

Was just thinking with Action getting a push, how many AEW Originals have they built after the first year? I guess I would class AEW Original as not from WWE, Impact or maybe RoH. Action, Hayter, Willow?

Oh, and when looking at their roster, I was reminded The Kingdom signed with AEW and disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't mind the MJF storyline because I think they need to build Bryan Danielson up again and having him go through some wrestlers will give him some momentum, although he'll most likely do the job to MJF so he'll just end up losing another big match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Super fun show live! We didn't get some of the video packages in the arena like the Britt one. Sound was WAY off at the start - the brought their own sound system and didn't use the arena one so it lacked power for sure resulting in the chants during Mox/Hangmans segment. Lots of bodies brought in and not used, wonder why they'd be flown in unless there was Rampage promos being filmed. They might have aired on TV but we didn't get those in the arena - Willow/Silver/Reynolds and Hook are who I saw around outside a few hours before, Hook was cool and lives the gimmick - he was eating chips strolling around the Space Needle haha. Told him to try Taytos if he ever makes it to Ireland!

Portland now tomorrow for my birthday weekend of Rampage, record shopping and goth events with the GF 😁

Was wondering about the chants at Mox considering it was grand for watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Bar the trios title all their champs are AEW originals now with MJF, Darby, Cassidy, Acclaimed, Hayter and Cargill.

Starks just competed for the top title so that's some going in a few short years.

Will take awhile before more talent will come through , but who will they be I guess it the question.

Jungle Boy, Wardlow, Gunns, Yuta, Garcia, Top Flight, Hobbs, Hook, Statlander all in the ranks also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Extremely disappointed at Samoa Joe losing the TNT Title so quickly.

Really loved his King Of Television stick and felt there was alot left in it.

Darby just does nothing for me and seeing a monster like Joe losing to the coffin drop is ridiculous!

If Joe don't get a rematch then I really hope Miro returns and absolutely destroys Darby!!!

I meant apart from the ones who've been there since the first year. Seems they bring in more established guys than building new ones since then. So Willow, Hayter, Action and Skye? Not sure when Top Flight joined.

Well, the Kingdom finally reappeared.

I'm guessing Red Velvet will be Number 50. Hope she's not the one to beat Jade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I feel like Sasha has long been tee'd up to beat jade

They definitely need someone big to get the belt off Jade or at least a good long term story, which is tough when there's only so much time given to the women on Dynamite. Kris Statlander probably should have been it but who knows how long more she's out for.

Sasha would be good but surely you want her to compete for the main title, you'd imagine once Jade drops the belt she will have to go after the main title too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As a suggestion: Honoring the House of Black... Julia Hart your next TBS Champion... I think Velvet's gonna be number 50 and Jade retains.

The Portland Rampage show was good fun and the venue was small but nice. Max Caster was on the same flight as me but didn't bother him. I can say I rode the MAX train with Max Caster now though, and we both saw meth heads getting thrown off it by security!

Tonight's show looks absolutely stacked - the Takeshita/Danielson match should be unreal but then you've also got Mox/Hangman and the ladder match to close out! Seeing Hook suplex Big Bill should get a great reaction too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hooks not suplexing him till the singles match.

Roddy Piper's daughter on Dark this week, which she was even announced as.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man cannot wait to watch Dynamite

Great card

The Elite vs. Death Triangle – Match 7 of the best of seven series for the AEW World Trios Championship

Jon Moxley vs. Adam Page

Jaime Hayter & Britt Baker vs. Saraya & Toni Storm

Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita

Hook & Jungle Boy vs. Big Bill & Lee Moriarty

The Jericho Appreciation Society speaks

Will be fascinating to see if Mercedes Mone turns up or not

Nope! They're going all out on this one.

Great that Cole is back, wonder what his first feud back will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,962 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was at the event tonight - brilliant from start to finish! Awesome finale to the best of 7, at times there was so much going on all over the place it was was hard to keep track of everything! Massive pop for Cole too. It's also nuts just how over Hayter is - any outsider at the show would guess Saraya and Toni were the heels. Jamie got more love than anyone else at the show I think.

Decent Rampage taping afterwards as well - though the crowd took a wee while to get going again after that ladder match! (and they also snuck in a dark match in between). Caster fücked up his rap, but since it wasn't a live show, he was able to run out and back in start over again - lucky fella that it wasn't on the dynamite portion!

Oh, and Tony came out a few times to reiterate that ROH Supercard of Honor will be in LA in March. Be tempted to go if I'm around.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a bloody awesome great show, damn that was so good

I'm so so so happy to see Cole back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That was almost a PPV level show absolutely brilliant from start to finish

Mox vs Hangman and Danielson vs Takshita were both wars

I actually thought MJF's promo before the match was the worst thing of the night , going the old WWE style racist stereotype stuff , terrible

The womens match was even good great to see Hayter get all the love aswell i'm no fan of the other 3 but she's awesome

Great to see Cole do the old retirement fake out , pity some dickhead in the crowd insisted on screaming you suck throughout the whole thing

and the ladder match was absolutely class , great to see Omega back at the peak of his powers

I liked the Scooby Doo films.

Speaking of someone screaming, is it the same woman attending shows like this and Impact who constantly screams for no reason?

So is Shida going to feud with Saraya or Toni?

Excellent show from top to bottom.

Page vs Mox was great, reckon we're getting a rematch for Revolution (if not earlier maybe), hope they aren't doing some injury angle with Mox now though. Junglehook was fun, would love to see more of Hook but understand him as a special attraction too. Danielson/Takeshita was as fantastic as you would assume.

Great to see Cole back, was worried for a sec. Hope he comes back with a bit of a fresh character though. Promo-wise, I thought MJF's celebrity roast was lame personally but I think that's been him as champion in general so far IMO.

The only real miss of the night though was the women's match, mainly because of the booking going into it. I have no idea why they decided to tease Mercedes if she wasn't going to be there and certianly why you'd have a mystery partner for a throwaway tag match is odd. Should have just been Toni/Hayer 2 tbh. I still don't know what to make of the women's division in AEW. The JAS is a death sentence to any hot act, I'm convinced, dreadful stuff.

The ladder match was amazing, it was always going to be. The best of 7 was something that overstayed it's welcome with me a bit and this match did seem a bit spot heavy and rushed but it was still a banger. My only gripe is that I'm annoyed Death Triangle were made to blow such a lead. Not sure if Elite as champs interests me but am interested to see who steps up first.

Overall, great show, AEW has really managed to regain some momentum the last few weeks, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sasha wasn't there but she was there in spirit with Toni Storm's boo-boo face on her entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭rodders999

If there’s ever been a better Dynamite than that someone please point me to it. An almost perfect 2 hours of pro wrestling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hopefully this is the week the ratings shoot up. You can have Perfect show all you want but if no one is tuning in or if they’re not gaining viewers what’s the point.

I see people on Twitter are expecting 1.5m viewership that’d be brilliant for AEW.

967K for the night, 0.33 in the demo and 3rd ranked for the night. Pretty decent rating, AEW getting over a million is still never a guarantee but ratings are definitely swinging back a bit.

Looking at the quarter hour breakdown, ratings dropped a lot after the womens match, stayed low for the JAS segment and rebounded slightly for the main.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That must have been trolls trying to set them up for a fall.

The show has really got back that sense of excitement the last months regardless, if they keep it compelling they'll slowly increase again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I don't keep track of these things, but my feeling after the show and still today is that was the best weekly TV pro wrestling show I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Bit of an aside here but does anyone know how early the listing for AEW's PPVs usually go up.

Have some Fite credits that are about to expire and wonder if it's worth waiting till the last minute and trying to put it towards Revolution (although I know before they didn't accept credits for AEW PPVs).

Can at the very least put it towards Hard to Kill tonight, looks like a very solid card.

Advertisement