Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Little things like the above would have helped. Like you'd imagine all members would be watching the match. Even have Taz mention that the Family are locked in or attacked would suffice.

I don't think AEW are tone deaf and do continuity and nuance well. Wouldn't be suprised if they clear it up on Dark/Dynamite via Taz on commentary or Cody on promo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't think AEW are tone deaf and do continuity and nuance well. Wouldn't be suprised if they clear it up on Dark/Dynamite via Taz on commentary or Cody on promo

They appear to learn from their mistakes on the whole, no company is perfect but they do so much right it annoys me when little things like the above go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cody's moment to turn heel was there and then. Going down on his knee to present the title, then Hoganing around the place with Allin in the ring were two different levels of heelish.

They don't need to complicate and draw things out that just speak for themselves. He's insincere and self absorbed - turn him heel. You don't need a multi-layered 2 year arc with fifteen plot twists. People will stop giving a ****.

As they have done in other cases. For e.g., a year ago, you could make a case that the hottest match in wrestling would be Young Bucks vs The Revival. 6 months of AEW's complicated booking and I barely cared.

Or another example: Best match of the ppv was Hangman vs Omega. Got Page over, simple ending, sets up a rematch for the title in a year or so's time. But no, they tease yet more dragged out melodrama with the Elite dynamic nobody was asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

In Nyla v Shida worked the leg (Horrible match brw that didnt make an sense with Shida throwing Nyla around with ease)
    Bucks v FTR Ankle and Arm
    Cody v Allin Arm
    Jericho v MJF Arm ..... bar

(This was just a round about way to get an armbar joke in)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Cody's moment to turn heel was there and then. Going down on his knee to present the title, then Hoganing around the place with Allin in the ring were two different levels of heelish.

They don't need to complicate and draw things out that just speak for themselves. He's insincere and self absorbed - turn him heel. You don't need a multi-layered 2 year arc with fifteen plot twists. People will stop giving a ****.

As they have done in other cases. For e.g., a year ago, you could make a case that the hottest match in wrestling would be Young Bucks vs The Revival. 6 months of AEW's complicated booking and I barely cared.

Or another example: Best match of the ppv was Hangman vs Omega. Got Page over, simple ending, sets up a rematch for the title in a year or so's time. But no, they tease yet more dragged out melodrama with the Elite dynamic nobody was asking for.

Sure haven't they teased a heel turn for every member of the Elite at this stage? The Young Bucks have been superkicking interviewers and Tony Schiavone yet somehow they're still faces?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sure haven't they teased a heel turn for every member of the Elite at this stage? The Young Bucks have been superkicking interviewers and Tony Schiavone yet somehow they're still faces?

Signed the best heel team in wrestling, then realised their top team can't work as babyfaces. Half-turned FTR babyface, half-turned Bucks heel, fully turned my interest 180 degrees away from the entire angle. Remember, this could have been the most anticipated tag match since... maybe the golden tag era of the 80s? Has to go down as the biggest failure of booking I've seen in quite some time.

Lets be clear on one thing, Bucks vs FTR wasnt a bad natch by any stretch. But IMO it underdelivered on what both teams are capable of.

The build was questionable. The hellish antics of YB made no sense. I get they wanted to show focus and determination, but superkicking folks for no reason doesn't accomplish that.

The match itself had plenty of hard work and amazing ability, but the 'get every spot in' approach devalued their work. The match went on too long and in the end after 450 splashes, massive powerbombs, spike piledrivers to name a few big spots, a simple superkick from an injured leg got the pin?

The match and feud stunk of overindulgence from the Bucks and the match for me was in no way one of the greatest tag matches ever.

Both teams are capable of better.

The Kenny Page feud has me hooked and I dont see anything wrong in the storytelling other than its going too slow, but even thats nitpicking.

I did hate the 'passing of the torch knee' by Cody. Reminded me if Hogan when Warrior won. Just fcuk off and let Allin bask in his own victory.

I hope that's the last Matt Hardy compound match ever! ****ing awful

Please just turn Cody already!

Enjoyed Omega/Hangman and Mox/Kingston

Lets be clear on one thing, Bucks vs FTR wasnt a bad natch by any stretch. But IMO it underdelivered on what both teams are capable of.

The build was questionable. The hellish antics of YB made no sense. I get they wanted to show focus and determination, but superkicking folks for no reason doesn't accomplish that.

The match itself had plenty of hard work and amazing ability, but the 'get every spot in' approach devalued their work. The match went on too long and in the end after 450 splashes, massive powerbombs, spike piledrivers to name a few big spots, a simple superkick from an injured leg got the pin?

The match and feud stunk of overindulgence from the Bucks and the match for me was in no way one of the greatest tag matches ever.

Both teams are capable of better.

Injury angles only work if your babyface is able to sell it. And Matt Jackson just doesn't sell. He might grimace or hobble every once in a while when he remembers he's supposed to have a banged up back or leg, but then he's up doing his best impression of Kane, hitting double team moves. Kills the story dead.

Are people actually calling it the best ever?

I think the problem with turning Cody is that feckin Nightmare family. Means they'll have to turn or we have to endure them trying to convince him he's wrong

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Injury angles only work if your babyface is able to sell it. And Matt Jackson just doesn't sell. He might grimace or hobble every once in a while when he remembers he's supposed to have a banged up back or leg, but then he's up doing his best impression of Kane, hitting double team moves. Kills the story dead.

Are people actually calling it the best ever?

Dave said one of the top ten tag matches ever.

Well Ive read the reviews on VoW which are usually fair. 4 and 3 quaters.

Im not a Bucks or FTR detractor, I really enjoy both teams bit the match was just didnt work for me. Prefered The Bucks vs Omega and Page. FTRs best work appears to be in NXT for me.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the problem with turning Cody is that feckin Nightmare family. Means they'll have to turn or we have to endure them trying to convince him he's wrong

Why does Cody need so many lackeys, hangers on. None of them are of any value at this stage and they dont add anything beyond giving his opponents jobbers to beat before they meet Cody.

Dave said one of the top ten tag matches ever.

Well Ive read the reviews on VoW which are usually fair. 4 and 3 quaters.

Im not a Bucks or FTR detractor, I really enjoy both teams bit the match was just didnt work for me. Prefered The Bucks vs Omega and Page. FTRs best work appears to be in NXT for me.

Completely agree re FTR. Because they were against talented babyfaces, American Alpha and DIY.

Best I've seen the Bucks work was the first 10 or so mins of the match against Cody and Dustin. Annoying obnoxious little jerks, it was perfect. Then the match got a bit lost as the teams switched back and forth between heels and babyfaces.

Why does Cody need so many lackeys, hangers on. None of them are of any value at this stage and they dont add anything beyond giving his opponents jobbers to beat before they meet Cody.

Yeah a group like the Dark Order is more organised, but the Nightmare Family looks like when you see a politician interviewed on tv and they have others crowding around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

My main thought on the ppv is that the card was stacked and I enjoyed looking forward to an American wrestling ppv.

Really enjoyed Omega/Page ****1/4 and thought they left stuff in the holster for when they go back to it again. The presentation of Omega is perfection.

Loved Cody/Darby. The in ring was really good **** but again the presentation of the two of them, that they've still let the big Darby decisive win on the table too is all just great stuff. Turning Cody heel here in the post match would 100% be the wrong move.

Bucks/FTR ****1/2. Great tag match, not as good as the Revolution tag with Omega/Page but the Bucks in a big match never ever disappoint and this was no different. Credit where it's due, I'm not an FTR guy at all but Cash Wheeler was great here.

Main event was so well put together, filled with story and call backs and references, a wrestling nerds dream and the commentary team did a great job with it. The Omega/Mox standoff at the end has me excited. ****1/4

Littke to no time for the Women's title match, the cinematic stuff or Orange Cassidy but there you go.

The big stuff delivered, it felt like a big event. On Dynamite last week the crowd was noticeably micced much better and that continued here. Excellent show. With more stories coming out of it than they had going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm curious to see what they've got up their sleeve with these game ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what they've got up their sleeve with these game ventures.

I hope they don't let Yukes within 1000 miles of it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Have to agree with Jim Cornette, I wasn't a fan of that main event, I dont know if it's because of my dislike for Moxley as a wrestler and character.

I actually thought it was sloppy, with Kingston spending alot of time meandering around the outside of the ring.

As a hardcore match it wasn't ground breaking either. I enjoy "garbage" CZW wrestling now and again but i didnt find that enjoyable at all and think Mox needs to lose that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Dudleys make their AEW debut this week. On Dark Chaos Project will face the team of TNT, Terrence and Terrell Dudley, D-Von's sons!

The Lucha Bros and Top Flight in action too, looks like a good episode.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Have to agree with Jim Cornette, I wasn't a fan of that main event, I dont know if it's because of my dislike for Moxley as a wrestler and character.

I actually thought it was sloppy, with Kingston spending alot of time meandering around the outside of the ring.

As a hardcore match it wasn't ground breaking either. I enjoy "garbage" CZW wrestling now and again but i didnt find that enjoyable at all and think Mox needs to lose that title.

I enjoyed the match personally. It wasnt a big break through match Mox needed though to solidify him as a top guy. But the feud was an enjoyable stop gap program and the match was an entertaining bout, though it suffered from being at the tail end of a PPV that was too long

Kingston though looked great and Id love to see him turn face and feud with a returning Pac. He excelled in this feud and showed he deserves to be with a top company.

Mox needs to out Kenny over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The Kenny Page feud has me hooked and I dont see anything wrong in the storytelling other than its going too slow, but even thats nitpicking.

The build between them has been fantastic and the best I've seen from professional wrestling in a long time. It's been up there with Roman and Jey in WWE but like that feud, I'm starting to question certain decisions being made.

If the Hangman story ends up with him turning away from alcohol, as if it's the cause of all his problems, I'll be apoplectic.

The problem to me is that his mates are simply arseholes and that in itself should be enough to push the story on.

The build between them has been fantastic and the best I've seen from professional wrestling in a long time. It's been up there with Roman and Jey in WWE but like that feud, I'm starting to question certain decisions being made.

If the Hangman story ends up with him turning away from alcohol, as if it's the cause of all his problems, I'll be apoplectic.

The problem to me is that his mates are simply arseholes and that in itself should be enough to push the story on.

I love the dynamic between Page and the Bucks which initially caused the tension and now Omegas story with Page. Its all been nicely set up for Omega and the Bucks to slowly go full heel and run AEW..... with Page to sort himself out and save the day.

So far I love it even if its slower than it could be. Page v Omega was my main reason for tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yes agreed he will sort himself out.....as long as he's holding a glass of bourbon while he does it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm really interested to see what's going on with all the NWA, Impact and NJPW connections going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The WWE cancelled the copyright on the Rhodes name and then immediately filed to copyright the Slamboree, The Match Beyond, Bunkhouse Stampede, BattleBowl, SuperBrawl, and Bash at the Beach the terms Cody had been in the process of filing to copyright himself.

So that's how he got his name back then a good old barter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So instead of AEW getting a handful of PPV names, matches and gimmicks, Cody gets his surname.

Great deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

J. Marston wrote: »
    So instead of AEW getting a handful of PPV names, matches and gimmicks, Cody gets his surname.

Great deal...

In two minds over this. On one hand the WWE specials using WCW names have proven to be a ratings winner. On the other, while the occasional alluding to WCW is cool (and it makes sense given the TNT link) I don't like the idea of AEW setting themselves up as WCW 2.0 plus they have no video footage of those events to call upon.

I am glad though that Cody is back to using the Rhodes name, it has cache and feels right.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I hope they don't let Yukes within 1000 miles of it anyhow.

Welp you've jinxed it Gerry.

FFS they're going with Yukes?? Are AKI not still around?

• Advertisement

FFS they're going with Yukes?? Are AKI not still around?

Looks likely.

Advertisement