Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It doesn't matter, but might as well install it to the gen 3 in case you ever get a gen 4 M2 down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

So I have a corsair 4000D airflow which includes 2 fans, I bought 2 additional fans (non RGB).

My motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E which seems to have 6 fan headers - 3 of those are cpu fan, cpu_opt and AIO_Pump, while the other 3 seem to be for case fans. Can I plug my 4th fan into the cpu_opt header, or will I need to buy some sort of hub/controller to run 2 of the case fans from a single header?

CPU_OPT header is linked to CPU_FAN afaik, so you can't control its speed independently of the CPU cooler. However, you should be able to plug into AIO_PUMP and set it to PWM mode in BIOS.

Just as well I didn't get any more fans then, I'd have to get fan splitters otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Can anyone recommend a software to restore files deleted from the recycle bin on Windows 10? No restore points or backups available

Ok, on the new build PC, most of the time when I press the power button, the computer itself seems to power up, (I hear the psu start up, fans turn on, & can see the leds light up on GPU and motherboard through the glass side) but the monitor doesn't turn on, nor the keyboard (which is a mechanical keyboard that has red backlights when in operation).

I seem to have to press the reset button every time and then the screen and keyboard turn on restart a moment later and everything seems to be fine.

When I was putting the things together I was careful to check the motherboard and case manuals to make sure the front panel leads were all connected into the correct motherboard headers so pretty sure they're ok.

Anyone know why this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Look at the error code LED if it has it, otherwise put a speaker on the pins, near where the power/reset pins are, it will give you a error code.

The LED code is '0d' (on an Asus Rog-Stix B550-E motherboard) which according to the appendix in the manual means - 'Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes', whatever than means.

Anyway, I just press reset, and it boots up properly again with monitor and keyboard connected with the LED code as '40' which means 'system waking up from the S4 sleep state'. This seems to be the correct code to be displayed anytime the pc is on and not in sleep mode anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can you swap from a HDMI to DP cable and see if that makes a difference?

The Q-LED yellow light for DRAM lights up on the motherboard, so I think it could be a memory issue, the RAM I bought was crucial memory rated for 3600Mhz, but from some googling I've done, I think that any memory speed above 3200 Mhz with a Ryzen 5000 series can cause issues, so I'm going to try going back into bios and reducing to 3200, not like it would make a noticeable difference anyway.

Not true at all, I've 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistix running at 3600 @ CAS 16-18-18-38 for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What are your thoughts on paring a 1660 Ti with a i7 4790k (asrock h97 anniversary). Any point or would it create a bottleneck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

It would very much depend on the game and settings but should be mostly fine. There are no games where it would perform badly as such to be honest, but definitely a few where a consistently solid 60fps wouldn't be achievable due to the CPU.

Obviously if this is a medium-term plan that situation will only get more pronounced going forward in bigger games. It is a 7 year old processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A Thai modding company has made this model of a gamer's room/gaf, which is actually a fully working gaming PC in disguise. Full gallery on their FB page.

More info on Digital Trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm a bit confused about these new hybrid Intel CPU's. When in performance mode which do they use all 8 and 16 threads plus the new 8 little cores when in performance mode or are the 8 little just for power saving and what the hell do you need low power cores on a Desktop, yes on a laptop they would be great to save the battery.

Review embargo date is 4. November 2021, so you'll find out then.

I hope Anandtech have a full deepdive ready, they're still the best for new architectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone see the ridiculous 21:9 support that Far Cry 6 has for cut scenes?

Black borders as far as the eye can see

I've been waiting for a gaming 4K monitor that's between 35" and 40", I've come to the conclusion it's not happening and just going to get a 32inch. Unfortunately 43" is just to big and I currently have a 34inch so I don't feel 32" is a major step down tbh

I don't think I can ever go back to a different layout for gaming.

68 keys just gives me so much more mouse space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is it insanity moving from a 7700K to a 9900KF? I know it's a dead upgrade path, but AM4 has to be near the end now too, and a 9900KF is half the price of a 5900X.

My own 7700K is showing signs of ageing now, and isn't supported by W11 either, so I wouldn't mind a small upgrade.

A 5800X is what you'd be looking at not the 5900X as a comparison. I wouldn't personally buy a 9900KF at this stage.

Anything really is an upgrade on a 7700K really due to its low core count. A 5600X would be ideal, but something as low-end as an i5-10400F @ €150 is a big upgrade for general use and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Saying he 10400 for €150 is all well and good but it's not a drop in upgrade though.

I think if he can afford the 9900 then it's not a terrible upgrade but if it was me, I'd be upgrading platform and CPU at that stage..

I'm not sure I'm getting it - it's not a drop in upgrade, you can't upgrade from a 7700k to a 9900 on the same board? So you would need a new motherboard either way.

7700K would be on Z170 or Z270. You need the Z3 series of chipsets to support 9900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

In that case you really shouldn't be upgrading to a 9900.

Correct, my original question was is it worth looking at something like a 9900KF for around 300, plus mobo circa 200...or spend more on something like a 5800x or 5900x with an AM4 mobo which is going to cost a decent bit more.

Basically I wouldn't mind an upgrade, doesn't have to be cutting edge, but I'd like to improve upon what I have.

Lga 1150/1200 are dead ends, and AM4 likely won't go beyond 3rd gen Ryzen....so what do I do? Buy older gen Intel with good performance, or stump up for a more modern Ryzen based route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

5800X can be paired with a mid-tier B550 motherboard without issue.

https://youtube.com/JxczZChFaZI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone else on Windows 11? I'm on it the past two days and find it alright I suppose. I do not find it laggy or anything but when I do the memory and cache benchmark in AIDA64 I do get a higher L3 Cache latency but you do not notice in real time or general use only see it when the benchmark shows you. I haven't gamed yet in Windows 11 so the FPS may be down from the cache latency, who knows. Hopefully the fix arrives sooner rather than later.

Advertisement