Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The 3dfx revival was purely a troll, the twitter account is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And even then, still easier to get one of their cards than an Nvidia FE :pacwouldgohere:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I miss :pac: :(

Though I miss being able to buy GPUs without taking out a mortgage more :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,734 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've been putting off putting my old rig back together, but after months of anxiety and procrastination, got an Antec 900 case refitted with noctua fans throughout, power up the old Bulldozer CPU on the next oldest card in the house... I am running the R9 390 I used to replace the Radeon HD 5770 - 2 of them - because they were finally too old for modern gaming instruction sets (crashed during No Mans Sky load), well, lo and behold these old Sapphire cards are doing that **** on Apex Legends too, which is what the OH wanted it for, when doing anything that triggers the 3rd person camera, it freezes out to desktop. Probably fixable with support, but the latest beta driver for this was signed in 2016. RIP. Already tried various settings, disabling crossfire, etc. - **** things aren't even worth mining with.

When am I going to be able to get a card that isn't 250% MSRP...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Have you considered trading in your GPU's and/or any other spare equipment you have into CEX for vouchers and getting a used GPU from them? Their prices aren't great for second hand but come with 2 year warranty and if you got a few quid off by trading in old stuff you might get a decent card for your needs.

Going for a new card the AMD direct lottery is the only show in town with regards to MSRP, unfortunately no Nvidia FE options directly available to Ireland. Some AIB cards are dropping in price but these are still well above MSRP as I'm sure you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Really bad idea.

You're better off going on Adverts.ie and checking for GTX 1070 / 1080 - starting to see them under €450 again.

Or GTX 1060/1660 around 250-300.

Really Bad Idea ? That's a bit OTT.

He'd possible get €100 plus in vouchers for the GPU's which he has but don't fit his needs and probably more if he had any other old stuff like phones/consoles just lying around doing nothing but gathering dust. After vouchers the cash outlay on a 1660 with the added bonus of a warranty from CEX could be less than the cash outlay on a card from adverts .

He could of course try to sell his current GPU's and offset any cash made against the cost of a second hand card from adverts but that could take some time.

CEX is quick and painless, they'll do online buying if a store isn't near you. They provide you with a tracked prepaid insured postage label for anything you're sending into them and will return it free of charge if you're not happy with the final offer.

They're by no means cheap but it's possible to get good product with warranty from them for little or no cash outlay if you've stuff to trade. I've traded thousands of euro worth of stuff to them I'd never be able to sell due to time constraints or limited demand. It may not be an option for all but for some it will, it's certainly not a bad idea to consider using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

CEX prices are pretty terrible. I sold my 1080ti a couple weeks ago on adverts for 450. It didn't last long at that price. CEX would have paid me 330, and the ultimate buyer would have paid 600 for the same 1080ti from CEX. Not great.

If he had a 1080TI he wouldn't have his issue and I certainly wouldn't recommend selling it to CEX. He's a few older gen and probably very hard to sell GPU's that are useless to him that he'd get a few quid from CEX. You get more in vouchers from them than cash.

In June I traded in a bunch of older IT equipment I had that I'd never have sold and got a 1080TI as a placeholder card for a build I was doing for a family member. I got €253 in vouchers for basically old crap and added €321 cash for a 1080TI, total price €575. The cash price at the time for a 1080TI on adverts was €650-700. It so happened a week after a new AMD card was bought from AMD direct and I resold the placeholder 1080TI for €650. I did more than okay from the transaction with CEX.

I'd say most people on here who have built PC's have a bunch of older crap lying around they could easily shift on CEX and get something of worth from them. All I'm saying is it's worth looking at them if you're in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

LOL...they've messed up the header bar on the boards site. It nearly completely covers the name of the current group. You can just barely see the bottom of the letters peeking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Anyone still trying to get a decent sub €1000 RTX 3070, take a look over on the other thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117723280#Comment_117723280

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nah, cards are not flying off the shelves anymore and there is stock appearing and staying everywhere(when they are priced significantly off MSRP). Prices will normalise over the next few months.

In that case I have an excellent ASUS 3070 I can sell you for €1,000 unopened. I also have a bridge...... 😁

Ordered most of my parts anyway, mainly from Germany via Amazon & mindfactory (for CPU).

The only part I ordered from UK was the case (Corsair 4000D airflow), prices even after conversion to euros are still cheaper than any German offers and I get free delivery.

Just realised I've totally forgotten about the CPU cooler though, had a Noctua UH-12S in mind. Should have bundled it with the other parts coming from Amazon Germany & saved myself an extra delivery fee, the overall price for these seems to be much higher from Amazon UK even with fee delivery.

But since I'm not really planning on overclocking the Ryzen chip, should I just stick with with the stock wraith cooler than comes with the 5600-X ?

The 4000-D airflow case comes with 2 x 120mm fans. Should I at least get 2 more 120mms and keep 2 in front, and 1 each in top & rear for the exhaust? If so would appreciate recommendations for decent fans, there's quite a range available.

I'd still recommend a decent 120mm tower cooler so you can set fan to 50% and forget it's on, e.g. be quiet Shadow Rock Slim 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That stock cooler isn't very good. It would be an annoying sound you would hear. As Kokiki says a tower cooler is the way to go.

Yeah, had a look at a review of it (be quiet! shadow rock) on youtube too. Decent performance, quiet and doesn't take up half the case interior like some of the otherwise good Noctua units, not to mention cheaper.

btw I've noticed this listed under potential incompatibilities on the pcpartpicker site for using a corsair TXM 750 Gold PSU - it seems to show if you select most of the B550/X570 mother boards in the same build.

'Note: The Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.'

Anyone putting together a PC encountered this 4-pin socket that the power supply can't connect to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My X570 has the extra 4 pin but I leave it empty and I'm pretty sure everyone else does too.

Think I messed up ordering the cooler. Seen the Shadow rock slim on Amazon uk at £57 plus £9.99 (via 3rd party seller), so chose a different one, - Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black for £39 with faster free delivery direct from Amazon.

Overall it seemed to have good reviews on Amazon but, I should have watched this first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwt07MCcHbY

Seems to be good on aesthetics and decibels but mediocre at actual cooling. Unfortunately it's being prepared for dispatch so I can't cancel the order.

Not really planning on overclocking the 5600x though, so still an improvement on the stock cooler I guess. Also ordered 2 extra fans for the 4000d case, since it only comes with 2.

Post edited by ZeroThreat on

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure it will. Was going to order the Hyper 212 instead though for cheaper if I'd been able to cancel. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Getting my Lian Li Galahad 240 tomorrow, just wondering should I put it as intake or exhaust, will be top mounting it in a phanteks P360A?

I reckon intake so then there'll be 2 front intake and 2 top intake on the radiator so piles of positive pressure and it should blow air over the VRMs. Just thinking will it affect GPU temps? Surely it'd make them better as any airflow is better than no airflow right?

Top mount, exhausting air up & out.

GPU needs cool air more than a CPU rad.

The AIO will be pulling some heat off the VRMs. If you’re really worried, move the top intake fan to the rear exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Was just thinking that the airflow the AIO would provide the GPU would give better temps surely. Spose I'll test both

Well the 3070 card arrived today, ASUS store threw in a free 'ROG Sheath', from the size of it I thought it was an anti static mat or something like that, but seems it's a mouse mat. More than big enough to cover half the desk and put your keyboard on too though. Why are they making gigantic mouse mats?

Post edited by ZeroThreat on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

They are super common and have been for a long time, all retailers stock them. Most of my friends have them, I even have one at work. They're great for low sensitivity gamers as you don't run out of mat space.

Plus putting your keyboard on a mouse mat dampens the sound a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Oh god, for some reason I am the author of this thread.... lol, so many notifications!

A mate of mine is having laptop monitor issues, flickering, issues in full screen mode, colours wrong etc. Quite old so no warranty, anyone know a place around Dublin City Centre that would do a reasonably priced repair/replacement?

• Advertisement

Well nearly everything has arrived so I'll be putting it all together soon. Just wondering about something though : the B-550 board I have has 2 M2 slots for SSDs. The top one supports Gen 4 and connects via the CPU, while the lower one supports up to Gen 3 and connects via the mobo chipset (afaik).

Since I'm installing a 3rd gen crucial P5, should I still connect it via the top gen 4 slot or just via the gen 3 slot or does it not matter performance wise?

Advertisement