Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick closed (mod note post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭anewme

to be honest, I would think they need to be kept away from the public for their own safety till this calms down. They are very hated oeople.

there's a lot of emotions running high over the unnecessary suffering gtheir actions have caused ppl. I would not be surprised if someone went for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Drones should be made illegal. Every drone bought should be registered and available trackers onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

if these are the idiots responsible for this chaos, i hope they bankrupt them.
    not sure what charges can be brought. terrorist related perhaps? that would see them locked away for quite a few years?:D

Amprodude wrote: »
    Drones should be made illegal. Every drone bought should be registered and available trackers onboard.

So they should be illegal. As in not legal for sale or purchase. But also, every drone sold should be registered and have trackers on board.

Lolwut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

You cannot account for stupidity it seems according to the Telegraph
    Detectives were understood to have drawn up a shortlist of potential culprits after the pilot gave vital clues away by audaciously flying the drone right up to the air traffic control tower.

Drone 'buzzed' the tower
    In a move known as "buzzing the tower", it emerged the perpetrator had taunted airport staff by circling the drone around the building and flashing its lights, an industry source told The Telegraph.

A detailed description of the drone, provided by witnesses, meant experts were able to determine the make and model of the machine, which is only available from a handful of locations in the UK.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/22/gatwick-airport-drone-chaos-man-woman-arrested-passengers-brace/

• Advertisement

Some very sad stories out there.

One girl missed her Fathers funeral and another lad was in an awful state trying to get to Australia to be with his terminally ill Mother.

These are complete assholes and I hope they throw the book st them. Five years is the max they can get, that needs to be increased.

anewme wrote: »

One girl missed her Fathers funeral and another lad was in an awful state trying to get to Australia to be with his terminally ill Mother.

These are complete assholes and I hope they throw the book st them. Five years is the max they can get, that needs to be increased.

but they have not yet brought charges against these morons.
    this is terrorism in my opinion, but the Crown Prosecution may/may not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

anewme wrote: »

I wondered if maybe they would try to get 5 years for each visit the drone made to the airfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I wondered if maybe they would try to get 5 years for each visit the drone made to the airfield?

Doubtful that would succeed but they will probably get more than if it was an Irish airfield which would probably be a very harsh suspended sentence and €50 to the poor box...

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

it needs to be treated very seriously whatever the motivation, if this was just for a laugh it was mindless vandalism, as someone said there are loads of tales of people missing funeral of close friends and loved ones etc

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »

In my opinion, it seems fairly clear from the fact that the lights were on when first seen that the perpetrator wanted it to be well known that the drone was there, in order to cause disruption. Flying close to the tower would be a good way to ensure the drone is spotted by controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I may be naive and admit I know very little about drones but am shocked that no police squat team was deployed to shoot it down ? It could have been carrying a bomb or antrax for all they knew . Why did it take so long and the drone was not taken out ?

ISOP wrote: »
    it needs to be treated very seriously whatever the motivation, if this was just for a laugh it was mindless vandalism, as someone said there are loads of tales of people missing funeral of close friends and loved ones etc

They are 47 and 54, surely a bit old for mindless vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I may be naive and admit I know very little about drones but am shocked that no police squat team was deployed to shoot it down ? It could have been carrying a bomb or antrax for all they knew . Why did it take so long and the drone was not taken out ?

Alway remember Newton's law of Gravity, what go up must come down and that includes bullets.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Alway remember Newton's law of Gravity, what go up must come down and that includes bullets.

I dont understand so . What if it was threat to people ?

i'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here.

a bit like Hackers, perhaps they have done us all a big favour by highlighting the vulnerabilities in airport security?

i mean we know Islamic terrorists would love to be able to do something similar, but with terrible consequences.
    this is the 30th anniversary of Lockerbie i believe.

this is from 2 days ago,
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46639182

i'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here.

a bit like Hackers, perhaps they have done us all a big favour by highlighting the vulnerabilities in airport security?

i mean we know Islamic terrorists would love to be able to do something similar, but with terrible consequences.
    this is the 30th anniversary of Lockerbie i believe.

this is from 2 days ago,
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46639182

I'm sure that the girl who missed her Fathers funeral as a direct result of these morons really appreciates the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

Assuming they've caught the perpetrators and can prove it was them, I expect they will look for some form of anonymity while serving their prison sentences in order to protect them from reprisals.

I don't think they deserve to get any consideration in this regard and if this means they have to spend their entire sentences in solitary confinement, then it would serve them right.

As for the kind of reception they would get on their release from prison, I don't think anyone will be welcoming them with open arms. What a pair of muppets!

I dont understand so . What if it was threat to people ?

If you take a shot at a target, the bullet doesn't just magically stop and fall harmlessly to the ground. Bullets fired into the air usually fall back with velocities lower than their muzzle velocity, in other words when they leave the weapon. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down to the ground.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If you take a shot at a target, the bullet doesn't just magically stop and fall harmlessly to the ground. Bullets fired into the air usually fall back with velocities lower than their muzzle velocity, in other words when they leave the weapon. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down to the ground.

Thank you .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

1000 flights affected according to the news.

They should be locked up and the key misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely you could instruct marksman to shoot reasonably in line with runway if bullet injuring people was a concern.
    To one end of runway, there is farm land that could easily have access restricted so the bullet would have runway length plus farmland area to come back to earth.
    How far can a bullet fly and what length is runway?
    Of course drone would need to pass over runway then to be able to shoot it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

What is the legal definition of terrorism, and how does this meet it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

abff wrote: »
    Assuming they've caught the perpetrators and can prove it was them, I expect they will look for some form of anonymity while serving their prison sentences in order to protect them from reprisals.

I don't think they deserve to get any consideration in this regard and if this means they have to spend their entire sentences in solitary confinement, then it would serve them right.

As for the kind of reception they would get on their release from prison, I don't think anyone will be welcoming them with open arms. What a pair of muppets!

Why would they need to spend their sentences in solitary confinement? Is hardly the crime of the century

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely you could instruct marksman to shoot reasonably in line with runway if bullet injuring people was a concern.
    To one end of runway, there is farm land that could easily have access restricted so the bullet would have runway length plus farmland area to come back to earth.
    How far can a bullet fly and what length is runway?
    Of course drone would need to pass over runway then to be able to shoot it.
    A high velocity bullet could travel 3 miles

What is the legal definition of terrorism, and how does this meet it?

i'm not a barrister so i wouldn't know.
    maybe someone here might?

Shooting a container of anthrax just achieves the objective of dispersing the powder on the airfield, though I’m guessing that’s not really a viable attack because of the huge area and limited payload that could be carried by a drone.

I think it was pretty clear to all involved that the perpetrators were simply attempting to cause disruption, and not actually launch an attack.

I’m also guessing that in addition to public safety concerns about shooting at the drones and resulting FOD/falling debris dangers, they assumed that the perpetrators could launch further drones, and their priority was to catch the person controlling them in order to be sure there weren’t more to come.

Finally, “police squat team” conjures a hilarious image.

Hitting a very mobile airbourne target the size of a dinner plate from 500 to 1000 metres at night is easier said than done. This not a computer game, this is a real world problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

i'm not a barrister so i wouldn't know.
    maybe someone here might?

But you still wanted them charged with terrorism, but you've no idea what that is, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

zapitastas wrote: »
    Why would they need to spend their sentences in solitary confinement? Is hardly the crime of the century

Because there's a good chance that somebody else who is incarcerated with them might be associated with someone who was adversely affected by their antics and might decide to extract revenge?

On the other hand, maybe I've watched The Shawshank Redemption once too often?

Advertisement