Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick closed (mod note post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Next will be landside/check in. It is quite vulnerable really isn't it. No checks at all pre security.

Always spooked me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ASOT wrote: »
    Maybe there's no drone at all? Could that be a possibility? As in not a conspiracy but that someone is saying they seen a drone this resulting the the airport being closed as a precaution?

Pretty good film out now with Gillian Anderson based on exactly this event

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6290798/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭plodder

Maybe there's no drone at all? Could that be a possibility? As in not a conspiracy but that someone is saying they seen a drone this resulting the the airport being closed as a precaution?
    An airport shutdown causes a world of pain not just for passengers but also for the workers who have to deal with the passengers and for the airport managers who have to deal with the airlines who are losing revenue and may have to pay out compo. So, I think it's very unlikely they aren't certain that there was drone(s) out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

plodder wrote: »
    An airport shutdown causes a world of pain not just for passengers but also for the workers who have to deal with the passengers and for the airport managers who have to deal with the airlines who are losing revenue and may have to pay out compo. So, I think it's very unlikely they aren't certain that there was drone(s) out there.

Plus, as well noted here, this whole incident has been extremely embarrassing for all the authorities involved. Surely they could think of a better excuse if this were the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

^^ the military measures mean they can open the airport but not find the "drones"? Sheeple will fall for anything.

I’m guessing there’s a vehicle mounted air defence radar system on site capable of tracking smaller targets than the civil systems. This would allow them to track the drone(s) while they’re in the vicinity of the airfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We should all fly over to Gatwick to watch what's going on....oh wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I’m guessing there’s a vehicle mounted air defence radar system on site capable of tracking smaller targets than the civil systems. This would allow them to track the drone(s) while they’re in the vicinity of the airfield.

Reports they've got mortar warning radar there now. That's suitable for tracking objects around about drone size.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Does that mean they have a CRAM system there:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

^^ the military measures mean they can open the airport but not find the "drones"? Sheeple will fall for anything.
    I don't think the 'sheeple' sleeping on benches at Gatwick have given a sheeps-arse about all this pallaver. They just want to get on a plane and go somewhere, and if the presence of the military gives the risk-averse airport management an excuse to authorise flights again then they're quite happy with that outcome. I know one 'sheep' who was affected at both ends of the shutdown and was more than willing to take her chances with the drones if it meant she could get home to Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You were already told this isn't the Conspiracy Theories forum. Do not post on this thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I do believe there was a drone around the airfield. However Im gonna assume that many of the later sightings were mistaken. Ppl are very liable to see things they are looming for. Its just human nature.
    Hovering bird? Drone
    Gliding bird? Drone
    Windblown litter? Drone
    Actual police drone? Drone

Doesnt mean that there isnt a drone and isnt a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

may not be Eco-warriors at all. probably not terrorist or foreign state involvement. but wouldn't it be funny(ish) if the culprit turns out to be a 13 year old kid who just got a drone for his birthday?

i can imagine his mum being interviewed now,

"Jamie is such a good boy. he just loves his new toy. we thought he was just flying it around the local neighborhood. we really had no idea what he was doing. we're so sorry."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,395 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »
    this should sort it: https://youtu.be/ffOZMTVeM70

There's no propaganda like RT propaganda.

Russia is strong, like bear.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

We are going to have to start taking drone defence a lot more seriously. The technology for drones is now ubiquitous and there's really no way of ensuring all manufacturers implanted geo fencing systems. They are just generic tech. You could even build one yourself or modify one.

They're far easier to pilot than a model aircraft was and they're much more widespread in their appeal. So the notion that you can just licence or ban things isn't going to work.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Let's hope whoever is behind this, gets caught and gets hammered with lawsuits and serious jail time.

Hah!

Lawsuits... this isn't LA Law. No possibility.

Jail time... max sentence 5 years. But a first offence never gets that, then factor in remission AND good behaviour (they're not the same thing) - out in 2 years at the most

This sort of thing should be classified as terrorism and carry a life sentence.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Inquitus wrote: »

If Miguel Delaney told me the sun would rise in the morning, I'd seek corroboration from at least two sources. No intelligent soccer fan regards anything he writes as credible.

I'm not going to derail the thread but, it's a bit of disruption. Nobody was killed or injured. It was possibly trolling type behaviour rather than anything extremly malicious.

This talk of life sentencing is overkill. They need a stern ticking off and some kind of consequences but let's keep things in proportion too. Taking someone's freedom for the rest of their days over a very inconvenient prank just seems completely disproportionate.

If anything this is should be a wake up call to airport operators, airlines and regulation agencies that drones are a serious issue.

Can't view the video, but stray 35mm shells falling on you could ruin your whole day. Not acceptable to use outside a declared war zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'm not going to derail the thread but, it's a bit of disruption. Nobody was killed or injured. It was possibly trolling type behaviour rather than anything extremly malicious.

This talk of life sentencing is overkill. They need a stern ticking off and some kind of consequences but let's keep things in proportion too. Taking someone's freedom for the rest of their days over a very inconvenient prank just seems completely disproportionate.

If anything this is should be a wake up call to airport operators, airlines and regulation agencies that drones are a serious issue.

personally if i had my way, i would parade them around Gatwick in their underwear for the next month, with a sandwich board displaying the following,

"i'm the moron with the drone who ruined everyone's Christmas and cost you £10s of 1000s. Please feel free to kick me up the arse"

It was extremely malicious, and the intent was entirely clear, and it's not "a bit of disruption" either.

And you can't guarantee that nobody would be killed or injured if flight operations were not immediately suspended (which they were, which of course was the intention of the terrorist)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

It was extremely malicious, and the intent was entirely clear, and it's not "a bit of disruption" either.

And you can't guarantee that nobody would be killed or injured if flight operations were not immediately suspended (which they were, which of course was the intention of the terrorist)

This was malicious yes but let's not water down the term Terrorist (defined as person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims). There was no intent to take a plane down.

Anyway two arrested as Police ID a chap on a bike seen packing up two large drones and cycling away in a panic after motorists spotted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

There is a good chance the people arrested were not responsible for the Gatwick drones. I expect there was a general trawl over anybody using a drone and some crimes were incidently uncovered that otherwise would have remained undetected.

I think we risk falling down the trap of tabloid media and just calling everything terrorism, to the point that the word starts to become meaningless. It was most likely pranking or trolling on a massive and very disruptive scale and has serious economic impacts on the aviation sector but it still was not terrorism.

We don't even know the motives. No individual or organisation has claimed it for political purposes so it could well be just a giant stunt for the sake of being able to do it, much like you'll get hackers doing similar to IT systems.

My concern is that it may have been a successful test of the ability of a drone to cause major disruption. So now we have opened Pandora's Box and the drones flew out, we need a solution to manage that as there's no possibility of putting them back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The economic loss is probably in the tens of millions. A custodial sentence is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

ted1 wrote: »
    The economic loss is probably in the tens of millions. A custodial sentence is required.

I don't necessarily diasgree with that sentiment but likewise the resulting measures taken , wake up call and prevention measures now in place against future similar but more sinister attacks has probably saved hundreds of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

I don't necessarily diasgree with that sentiment but likewise the resulting measures taken , wake up call and prevention measures now in place against future similar but more sinister attacks has probably saved hundreds of millions.

So the perpetrators have actually done us all a favour? Give me a break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

abff wrote: »
    So the perpetrators have actually done us all a favour? Give me a break!

I didn't diasgree with the consequences but they have single handedly ensured the airport is now protected against more sinister future attacks so yes something positive was achieved.

Same logic as saying air crashes help prevent future loss of life through learnings made about those crashes. Not pretty or sensitive but it's well regarded as true.

Advertisement