Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

That is an absolutely ridiculous decision which by design will increase the abuse and risks associated with this type of behaviour.

Unless I'm misreading, the council confirmed there is a delay (which I think has always been there). The council did not confirm this delay was increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Shai wrote: »
    Unless I'm misreading, the council confirmed there is a delay (which I think has always been there). The council did not confirm this delay was increased.

I think the delay depends on location, traffic speed, volume of traffic etc.

You can understand why there would be a delay..it protects pedestrians..

and it's not just motorists who are break lights...I take my life in my hands crossing the quays each morning, on a green man, with the amount of cyclists who just whizz by, especially when the lights have just gone red...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Shai wrote: »
    I reported issues with red light jumpers at a junction and in response there was a delay introduced, in addition to other measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

I reported issues with red light jumpers at a junction and in response there was a delay introduced, in addition to other measures.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m getting a dashcam as you wouldn’t believe how bad it’s gotten in Limerick.
    This morning I saw 3 cars followed by an artic drive across me as I had a green light at a junction.

I will see 3-4 instances of this every single day on a 15 minute commute through the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭65535

"Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?"

No, but the duration of the Amber light has got a lot less giving a lot less warning to slow down and stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw at one junction yesterday (two lanes feeding it), six motorists run the red.

65535 wrote: »

No, but the duration of the Amber light has got a lot less giving a lot less warning to slow down and stop.

I don’t buy that as an excuse, I see plenty enter junctions long after the amber is lit.

Well without a time study being carried out we have no way of knowing for certain whether a longer duration Amber signal would benefit or not.
    In my own experience I have seen lights changing, Green/Amber/Red in a very short duration

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that may be true, but it's beyond reasonable doubt that more people run reds because they know they'll get away with it.

• Advertisement

that may be true, but it's beyond reasonable doubt that more people run reds because they know they'll get away with it.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There's enough Russian car crash videos out there to suggest they don't always get away with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

65535 wrote: »

Whatever the duration is, there exists a cohort of drivers who just don't bother trying to stop when they see an amber or an amber that has just turned to red.
    The lack of action by the gardai on this issue means that the cohort is gradually increasing in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

First Up wrote: »
    There's enough Russian car crash videos out there to suggest they don't always get away with it.

Yes it has got a lot worse in my opinion . Relatively easy solution , install automatic fine cameras for running red .

So there was a study:
    https://phys.org/news/2012-09-length-yellow-caution-traffic-accidents.html

The slower the speed of the road the shorter the Amber should be and of course the faster the speed of the road then the longer the Amber should be

In Russia it appears that there is no delay between your side going red and the cross traffic getting the red/amber sequence, but the Russian lights also have a flashing green two seconds before the amber. so two chances to see that the lights are about to change (some lights also have a countdown timer).

Some drivers simply don't care about lights (vodka fuelled perhaps), these drivers will simply ignore the rules until they've crashed!

If Irish motorists were aware that the cross traffic would start to move immediately after they see red, they're far less likely to jump a red as it means a certain crash, having a delay allows them to jump, safe in the knowledge that they've a few seconds before the cross traffic starts to move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I drove through an amber light in Sydney years ago and got issued a substantial fine for doing so, caught by the automatic camera at the junction. You can be sure I never did it again.

Last year I emailed the minister for transport about how bad red light jumping has become in Ireland, to be told that it is a matter for the department of justice as it is a police issue. The minister for justice or his secretary replied to say there are no plans to bring red light cameras in to Ireland. They just don't care.

It gets worse and worse by the day. What used to be 1 car breaking a red became 2 then and now 4. It's not far off the stage of just abolishing traffic lights because they aren't adhered to by so many drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Last year I emailed the minister for transport about how bad red light jumping has become in Ireland, to be told that it is a matter for the department of justice as it is a police issue. The minister for justice or his secretary replied to say there are no plans to bring red light cameras in to Ireland. They just don't care.

I emailed DCC about installing these cameras and possibly bus lane cameras too, I got the same response as you: "It's a matter for the gardai". Maddens me that that it appears the very people responsible for road design have no collaboration from the very people who will be making sure it's used correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

It might be worth writing to our new Garda Commissioner in that case. Justice Charleton in his report on the Disclosures Tribunal remarked on Garda inattention to these areas of policing. The Garda Commissioner stated that he had noted the remarks in the report.

Perhaps you should be writing to Shane Ross, get him to look at some of the more dangerous aspects of Irish driving as opposed to getting a hard on with "speeding".

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should be writing to Shane Ross, get him to look at some of the more dangerous aspects of Irish driving as opposed to getting a hard on with "speeding".

As mentioned above I did this last year and got a response to say it is not a matter for the Department of Transport. Work that out.

Reminds me of a story I heard on Pat Kenny a couple of years back where a school principal was lobbying for defibrillators to be installed in every school in the country. He said that he contacted the minister for education who responded to say it is a matter for department of health, then when he contacted minister for health he got told to contact the department of education. Is there no desire or scope for government departments to work together on legislating for change?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

As mentioned above I did this last year and got a response to say it is not a matter for the Department of Transport. Work that out.

Reminds me of a story I heard on Pat Kenny a couple of years back where a school principal was lobbying for defibrillators to be installed in every school in the country. He said that he contacted the minister for education who responded to say it is a matter for department of health, then when he contacted minister for health he got told to contact the department of education. Is there no desire or scope for government departments to work together on legislating for change?

Having worked in both Departments, Education are notorious for fobbing off the public,emails, PQ's, etc. To be fair it is fairly obvious that this is matter for Dept Education and not Health.

Having worked in both Departments, Education are notorious for fobbing off the public,emails, PQ's, etc. To be fair it is fairly obvious that this is matter for Dept Education and not Health.

If I remember correctly the school principal had done the maths and calculated it would cost €6m to install a defibrillator in every school in Ireland and train staff on how to use it. He was suggesting that both departments contribute half the cost and get the job done. However the incompetence of the public sector wouldn't allow for it.

The same thing is happening with not policing red traffic lights in this country and will result in death before something is done to combat the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The same thing is happening with not policing red traffic lights in this country and will result in death before something is done to combat the problem.

You don't need a camera at every light. Put up some and prosecute offenders at those. Once people think their might be a camera.....

The same principle as spot checks for drink driving.

You don't need a camera at every light. Put up some and prosecute offenders at those. Once people think their might be a camera.....

The same principle as spot checks for drink driving.

They are badly needed across Dublin city centre anyway. Walking around town yesterday the amount of red lights broken by cars was crazy, most of which were when pedestrians had a green man.

And if the cameras could assist prosecute drivers on their phones also that would be helpful, another huge problem that was very evident walking around town yesterday.

The cost of implementing this would surely be recouped quite quickly through the fines that would issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Just went out for a coffee there earlier and a car has crashed in to the Luas at the Jervis Street junction. Was chatting to somebody at the junction and the driver broke the red light.
    This is the same junction where a Chinese woman was killed a few years ago.
    Judging by the crash, Id say it will take quite a while before the Red Line southbound is running again. That's a lot hassle and disruption for many commuters.
    Cameras are badly needed across the city.
    I was driving northbound at the junction at Whitehall / Collins avenue yesterday evening and I counted 7 cars breaking one red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

site_owner wrote: »

Pedestrian crossing outside my kids school, always heavy traffic. My 5yo has learned not to attempt crossing on a green man until the first car or two roll through and finally someone stops to let us cross, some mornings the light sequence goes completely so you have to wait another round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

site_owner wrote:
    Caught this on camera yesterday

Awful..where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zipppy wrote: »
    Awful..where is that?
    Baldoyle.

Advertisement