Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Zipppy wrote: »
    I think one of the issues with zero tolerance is that drivers could become paranoid about it and start jamming on on amber with possible rest end collisions ensuing..or not..

If you end up rear ending someone who stops at a red light then you were doing something wrong in the first place...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you end up rear ending someone who stops at a red light then you were doing something wrong in the first place...

100% around Dublin anyway, people drive as if the car in front could bnever possibly hit the brakes, rather than leaving enough space to react if they do. Christ, the M50 is worse, if you leave breaking distance between you and the car in front, someone is liable to merge into it without indicating.

The sooner the zero tolerance begins and the sooner judges stop accepting BS excuses, the better we will all be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I drove through an amber light in Sydney years ago and got issued a substantial fine for doing so, caught by the automatic camera at the junction. You can be sure I never did it again.

Last year I emailed the minister for transport about how bad red light jumping has become in Ireland, to be told that it is a matter for the department of justice as it is a police issue. The minister for justice or his secretary replied to say there are no plans to bring red light cameras in to Ireland. They just don't care.

It gets worse and worse by the day. What used to be 1 car breaking a red became 2 then and now 4. It's not far off the stage of just abolishing traffic lights because they aren't adhered to by so many drivers.

No, you drove through a red ;) the traffic light cameras in Sydney are only triggered if you cross the line after red. The fine is currently $550 I think, and as a result, you see very few people breaking a red light in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Zipppy wrote: »
    I think one of the issues with zero tolerance is that drivers could become paranoid about it and start jamming on on amber with possible rest end collisions ensuing..or not..

Or else they could approach the green light with the expectation that it is going to go amber, instead of being hugely surprised when the inevitable happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

fritzelly wrote:

I totally agree but alas drivers in Dublin would find it v difficult to understand the concept of 'braking distance'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any news on who was out of line here?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

a bit surprised at this one, if youre not familair, theres a green light for traffic coming from oconnell st until the green filter changes for traffic coming from my direction. you can see a few cyclists coming from oconnell st, and almost always the last 2 or 3 cars/buses/trucks break that red too

https://twitter.com/alan_downtown/status/1108702787871875072

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've really noticed lately the amount of times I'm on a Dublin Bus and it runs an orange light late or indeed sometimes runs a full red. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the luas crash (though it may end up not being the case).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's highly frustrating when the traffic lights are soooo badly sequenced that if there's 10 cars waiting to go tru a junction and the timer only lets 3 tru .
    Not to mention the dozy xxxxx who are on Facebook and aren't alert when lights change .
    The traffic light sequencing is a joke just like the speed limits around the country are a joke .
    Get them right and than apply the law ye muppets !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It's highly frustrating when the traffic lights are soooo badly sequenced that if there's 10 cars waiting to go tru a junction and the timer only lets 3 tru .
    Not to mention the dozy xxxxx who are on Facebook and aren't alert when lights change .
    The traffic light sequencing is a joke just like the speed limits around the country are a joke .

Just rid of lights and limits altogether, sure they only ever hold me up.

• Advertisement

Your right here, far too high, saying this for years but people are so accustomed at driving too fast that they will never change.
    If you applied the law you might find that people start getting it right of their own freewill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

t's highly frustrating when the traffic lights are soooo badly sequenced that if there's 10 cars waiting to go tru a junction and the timer only lets 3 tru .

It doesn't work like that. Follow the law first. Light sequencing you dont like is not a reason or excuse to ignore them.

YELLOW MEANS *STOP* (unless you cant stop safely before the line) not go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Green = go
    Amber = go faster
    Red = 2 more cars, 5 more cyclists (except at pedestrian crossings, 2 more cars and unlimited cyclists).

From a pedestrian.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I've really noticed lately the amount of times I'm on a Dublin Bus and it runs an orange light late or indeed sometimes runs a full red. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the luas crash (though it may end up not being the case).
    Something like this perhaps?

https://streamable.com/7gbkk

trellheim wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that. Follow the law first. Light sequencing you dont like is not a reason or excuse to ignore them.

YELLOW MEANS *STOP* (unless you cant stop safely before the line) not go faster.[/QUOTE
    I've explained why people break red lights .
    It's down to pure frustration of waiting for a red light to turn green and only lasting 5 seconds when it does change .
    THE LAW IS AN ASS !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

YELLOW MEANS *STOP* (unless you cant stop safely before the line) not go faster.
    I've explained why people break red lights .
    It's down to pure frustration of waiting for a red light to turn green and only lasting 5 seconds when it does change .
    THE LAW IS AN ASS !!!!
    Any driver who breaks the law due to 'frustration' should hand over their keys immediately to a competent driver.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Something like this perhaps?

https://streamable.com/7gbkk

Exactly. Probably not a coincedence i get the 46A daily :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Any driver who breaks the law due to 'frustration' should hand over their keys immediately to a competent driver.

A competent driver ???? ..... Driving in galway city for over 30 years ....not a single accident ....thank you i am a extremely competent driver !!!!

A competent driver ???? ..... Driving in galway city for over 30 years ....not a single accident ....thank you i am a extremely competent driver !!!!

If you are regularly running red lights, then you're not a competent driver just a lucky one.

• Advertisement

Not a dig at Ashleigh as I know nothing of their driving but I am always shocked at drivers who use the, I haven't had an accident and are therefore completely competent. That just means, as said above, that you maybe lucky or drive around many other competent drivers whom make up for your lack of competence. I see drivers daily who if others around them had not reacted so well, would have been in an accident and they continue on, having learned nothing of their ineptitude.

If you think 'frustration' is a valid excuse for breaking red lights, I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

A few years ago I went to the council and got the sequence near me slightly changed . Its still dangerous but slightly less so.

Stop on yellow people it only takes someone else in a hurry on a bike or something to go immediately on green
    and then its a tragedy

Observe... this could have been a LOT worse

(watch the traffic lights ) https://gfycat.com/dimbetterhorseshoecrab

A few years ago I went to the council and got the sequence near me slightly changed . Its still dangerous but slightly less so.

Stop on yellow people it only takes someone else in a hurry on a bike or something to go immediately on green
    and then its a tragedy

He really stuck the landing, fair play. 10 Points.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Without trying to blame the victim, it is important to note that a green light doesn't mean GO. It means proceed if it is safe to do so.
    In this case it was not safe for the biker to proceed.
    I do believe that the car driver is the one who should be held responsible for the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Good idea posting it here. I'd say that at least 10% of Boardsies, representative of Irish society as a whole, are crap drivers.

Friendly reminder that amber means stop unless it is unsafe to do so, not that the light is about to go red and take your chance now and that indicators are to be used on roundabouts etc to give reasonable notice of your intention to change direction, not as you turn.

To all the clowns on this forum that have suggested that I personally break red lights .....
    Look back at the heading of this topic
    " Has breaking red lights got worse ....." ????
    I'm an experienced accident free driver of 30 years in the galway .
    I've driven over a million km in that time !!!
    Are ye sooo stupid that ye think a driver doing that sort of mileage is driving around breaking traffic lights AND IS JUST GETTING LUCKY???
    I'm on this forum giving my opinion on what I've seen .
    Do not judge me or my driving ability when ye know neither !!!

To all the clowns on this forum that have suggested that I personally break red lights .....
    Look back at the heading of this topic
    " Has breaking red lights got worse ....." ????
    I'm an experienced accident free driver of 30 years in the galway .
    I've driven over a million km in that time !!!
    Are ye sooo stupid that ye think a driver doing that sort of mileage is driving around breaking traffic lights AND IS JUST GETTING LUCKY???
    I'm on this forum giving my opinion on what I've seen .
    Do not judge me or my driving ability when ye know neither !!!

Nobody has called into question your competency or suggested that you break red lights.

What was said was that if a driver thinks frustration is a valid excuse for running red lights they should hand in their license to a competent driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Based on my own experience I would say that yes people seem to be ignoring red lights more often than before. Maybe its the increase in the volume of cars and the pace of life in general that has contributed to it but its an epidemic at this stage. Drivers bemoan the use of speed cameras but I would love to see cameras at every junction to catch red like breakers. People's behaviour would change if they knew they would be penalised when breaking a red light. Personally I would be especially draconian when punishing red light breakers because there's just no excuse for it. Id advocate for a fine, penalty points and a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

At this point I cannot wait for driving in Ireland to be entirely taken over by computers because the level of piss-taking by drivers here is beyond a joke at this stage.

If the level of traffic law enforcement, detection and punishment present in other European countries was transplanted to Irish cities in the morning, I'd say traffic congestion problems would be solved within a week because probably 50% of drivers would be put off the road within that time as a consequence of their dangerous bullsh*t driving.

Advertisement