Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No it's not, otherwise why have an on/off switch there in the first place if it's not to be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If it's not a problem, why were you using it to justify reducing time for pedestrians?

Because I postulated that the increased red light time introduced under the pretence of CoVid was directly responsible for some of the increase in red light jumping, the side effect being that I now use the start/stop on/off button in town to give an easier driving experience.

Justification for reducing the red light dwell time being that CoVid is no longer the excuse it used to be, otherwise why open up dining or pubs etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"under the pretence of CoVid"  FFS! (if we still had the rolleyes emoji, I'd place it here!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Same reason your handbrake can be engaged or not, your hazard lights can be on or off, your windscreen wipers can be on or off... I've driven hire-car automatics and didn't experience the lag you're experiencing. It really shouldn't be there, the whole experience should be seamless for the driver. I'd get it checked out - it'll save you money in the long run, and cut down emissions for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Advertisement

I find that unlikely given the way DSG boxes work. They preselect the next gearshift depending on various factors such as throttle position, road speed, brake pedal activation etc. As most DSG boxes only have two clutches then the car is in the current gear and has only one other gear it can preselect ( up or down ) sometimes that will be wrong. If you've never experienced it then you are either not driving a dual clutch DSG, not driving enough or not experienced enough to notice.

So you agree then, the button is there to be used when you require it, just the same as handbrakes, hazard lights, windscreen wipers etc

🙄 what's wrong with that one, you're just lazy both in your posts and arguments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The changes weren't made under a pretence! They were made because we were in the middle of a feckin pandemic. The fact that you needed that explained to you reduces my already low opinion of you even further.

They were made when people were walking more in city centers, people who lived in city centers who were recommended to exercise with 2km of home, as that is no longer a requirement then retaining them under the pretence of CoVid is disingenuous at the very least but then I wouldn't expect you to understand logic🙄

• Advertisement

Found this, I assume a SCAT traffic light is the acronym for them, how many traffic lights are there in Dublin though? More than a hundred or not and is a SCAT location what we're actually discussing?

https://data.smartdublin.ie/dataset/traffic-lights-locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

I've noticed that ignoring has got a lot worse recently alright. Today was a new record, I reckon. Heading westbound at the junction past The Black Lion in Inchicore, the lights turned amber just before I crossed the line but it was too late to stop safely; I was doing no more than 30 km/h at the time. The car behind me sailed through as did the car behind it, as did the car behind that car, as the did the car behind that followed by another car who went through the red light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

And that's not even a green turning to red. That's two vehicles sitting at a red light who then decide it's OK to proceed through what is obviously a still red light, going by the green pedestrian lights! That's just shocking that two individuals made the decision to proceed through a red light like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

It's rampant on the inner relief road in Sligo town (esp at the bridge (turning down the quay) & Finisklin road turn off to lidl)

Both have camera's if accidents do occur for Gardai but jumping red lights is common & ignored

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Ah come on, don't get up on your high horse about it, sure how do you expect them to keep up with their Snapchat messages if they have to keep looking at lights and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm guessing the first driver made a conscious decision that the lights were too much hassle for them and the second driver assumed (rather normally) that the first driver was a sane individual who waited for the lights to turn green. I bet they had no idea what colour the lights were.

Advertisement