Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was that about in strokestown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Signpost wrote: »
    Have a good understanding of rural areas and farming, not saying I would be buying it but I have seen first hand similar properties being bought. Will be open to the highest bidder, just because its not a local doesn't mean it's not going to be sold.
    Hope I'm wrong but I'd be very surprised if it remained on the market for too long at a rock bottom price.

If you do have a good understanding of rural areas then you will know just how vital it is to be on good terms with your neighbours if you are a farmer.
    If anyone buys this farm I can see them having a very solitary life.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

What eejit hired a security firm with apparent loyalist links to evict an irish family not too far from the border? You cant really blame the ra for stepping in. If you reversed this situation over the border youd get a similar response.

This would be a non story if the eviction was handled better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Good loser

Was there farming action on the land?

The buildings seem to be quasi industrial, although there were bales in front on the residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Suckler

You cant really blame the ra for stepping in.

Ah yes "the Ra", the real bastion of righteousness for the people when they aren't stealing, dealing drugs, dumping diesel washings and generally giving two fingers to law...that "Ra"?
    This would be a non story if the eviction was handled better.

This would be a non story if the auld codgers paid their bills like everyone else and didn't have such a brass neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The "Ra".

A great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

oceanman wrote: »
    Everything has a price. If it is going for the right amount someone be them local or outsider will see the gain for themselves, buy it, deal with a small amount of local backlash and in no time at all everything will be forgotten about and the world moves on. No matter how high the profile of the case someone will see a bargin and go for it
    I think you will find in rural areas people tend to have long memories.
    especially when people dont pay their bills.there was never going to be a nice way to evict these people and were never going to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What they done last Tuesday was wrong. Ok put a judgement on the farm freeze all bank accounts stop all payments to the family, any SW payments SFP or what ever until they are ready to play ball with the creditors. If you borrow money you have to pay it back and if you can't pay you will loose your home that is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

kerryjack wrote: »
    What they done last Tuesday was wrong. Ok put a judgement on the farm freeze all bank accounts stop all payments to the family, any SW payments SFP or what ever until they are ready to play ball with the creditors. If you borrow money you have to pay it back and if you can't pay you will loose your home that is life.

I'm told, by word of mouth so can't verify, that it wasn't the house occupants but a nephew that had the debt owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 noodleshack

oceanman wrote: »
    I just don't get how banks can bring in these "rent a mob" tugs to do their dirty work, surely this should be all properly regulated ?

It's not a bank, per se. The bank sold the debt on to a company called Cabot (they have many offshoots) after many years of non-payment. Cabot, after lengthy and failed negotiations, send in the bailiffs and bailiffs' agents; the latter are what the Norn guys were.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

To be raised in a country whereby an Garda Siochana are the main protectors in society, only to see them watch on while 3 elderly individuals are dragged from their home in rural Ireland under an unlawful court order from the Circuit Court? To watch on while a retired Garda member is dragged to the ground and assaulted by KBC's northern mercenaries?

The family weren't even granted the common decency to gather their belongings before they were thrown out of the house, and it was reported today that they were still in the same clothes that they were wearing the day of the eviction.

What is this 'unlawful order' you speak of?

Sadly, if people don't heed bailiffs' instructions, they have to leave with what they're wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I despise force and violence, but at what stage is force acceptable? Are people saying force can never be used? So, the law can’t work?

Surely these people were given time to leave peacefully? They didn’t, and it was then up to the law/state to “have” to physically act?

Unlawful court order? Am I missing something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Was the ra really involved?
    Pretty sure it was the locals to ensure they could divide the land up among themselves for next to nothin.
    Sure the ra brought bales of silage all the way from Belfast to block the road.
    Locals spun a great story to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Everything has a price. If it is going for the right amount someone be them local or outsider will see the gain for themselves, buy it, deal with a small amount of local backlash and in no time at all everything will be forgotten about and the world moves on. No matter how high the profile of the case someone will see a bargin and go for it

Exactly. That's how one of Irelands biggest land owners, now farming land in at least 3 continents, bought his first 2 farms. And people in the locality didn't care a year after the sale when through. Its forgotten about very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Elderly in my mind is someone in their eighties. Not in their 50s or 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two family members back in the house “just want to be left alone to get on with their lives”

What the hell is happening in this country, zero personal accountability or responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Two family members back in the house “just want to be left alone to get on with their lives”

What the hell is happening in this country, zero personal accountability or responsibility.

Looking on the news last night, was there windows broken on the house?

_Brian wrote: »

I was listening to this on the radio today

The world is mental.......

And this is the way it is going and going......

These types of issues are doing nothing but damaging society as a whole...

Society constantly passing the blame...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

whelan2 wrote: »
    Elderly in my mind is someone in their eighties. Not in their 50s or 60s.

The mother just turned 70 and I wouldn't dare call her elderly.

She'd kick me about the place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Exactly. That's how one of Irelands biggest land owners, now farming land in at least 3 continents, bought his first 2 farms. And people in the locality didn't care a year after the sale when through. Its forgotten about very quickly.

Is this the man that used to sell hardware around the border?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

as someone with an interest in history this thing in Roscommon is like something from the 1930s when the likes of Peadar O'Donnell organised small farmers to oppose baillifs collecting land annuities.

Anyway fair play to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

as someone with an interest in history this thing in Roscommon is like something from the 1930s when the likes of Peadar O'Donnell organised small farmers to oppose baillifs collecting land annuities.

This is a totally different scenario. Not sure why that has to be pointed out but there ya go.

Unbelievable comments. It wasn't a football match.

walshb wrote: »
    I despise force and violence, but at what stage is force acceptable? Are people saying force can never be used? So, the law can’t work?

Surely these people were given time to leave peacefully? They didn’t, and it was then up to the law/state to “have” to physically act?

That is something I asked here already, what part did the law/state actually play in this eviction ?
    It does not seem as if those carrying it out were court appointed bailiffs but rather a stong-arm outfit employed by whoever now owns this bank debt.
    Although the print media is staying very quite on this it does appear that there is credible evidence that this outfit was from outside the state and quite possibly included members of a Northern Ireland loyalist para-military gang.

When pub and nightclub door-persons now need to be Garda vetted and certified before being allowed to operate, how can people from outside the state operate like these did with Garda backing, which on last Tuesday they did o foot of a court order without being citizens of the state ?

There is also the question of how the court also granted such an order on this debt when it now appears Revenue, who have first call on any monies owed, were also owed an even greater amount.
    I`m not saying if you owe a debt you should be allowed to walk away free even if in the case of such debts to banks I find it very difficult to have much sympathy for the banks in how they acted over due diligence when granting these loans and their subsequent sales to vulture funds at knock down prices in bulk sales, but in this case the due diligence of the State courts and the Garda seems questionable

charlie14 wrote: »
    That is something I asked here already, what part did the law/state actually play in this eviction ?
    It does not seem as if those carrying it out were court appointed bailiffs but rather a stong-arm outfit employed by whoever now owns this bank debt.
    Although the print media is staying very quite on this it does appear that there is credible evidence that this outfit was from outside the state and quite possibly included members of a Northern Ireland loyalist para-military gang.

When pub and nightclub door-persons now need to be Garda vetted and certified before being allowed to operate, how can people from outside the state operate like these did with Garda backing, which on last Tuesday they did o foot of a court order without being citizens of the state ?

There is also the question of how the court also granted such an order on this debt when it now appears Revenue, who have first call on any monies owed, were also owed an even greater amount.
    I`m not saying if you owe a debt you should be allowed to walk away free even if in the case of such debts to banks I find it very difficult to have much sympathy for the banks in how they acted over due diligence when granting these loans and their subsequent sales to vulture funds at knock down prices in bulk sales, but in this case the due diligence of the State courts and the Garda seems questionable

The debtors acquires a court order to evict and instructs bailiffs. The bailiffs will have in their possession a copy of the court order to evict the tennant/homeowner; that's how it should work. If they have engaged an ex-officio security firm, they would need to be licensed.

Complete jibberish.

Suckler wrote: »
    Complete jibberish.

Would you perhaps care to elaborate and if so perhaps have the curtesy to do-so to the post in full ?

The debtors acquires a court order to evict and instructs bailiffs. The bailiffs will have in their possession a copy of the court order to evict the tennant/homeowner; that's how it should work. If they have engaged an ex-officio security firm, they would need to be licensed.

I take it from that that in relation to the questions I asked you do not know the answers either

I take it from that that in relation to the questions I asked you do not know the answers either

You stated 'That is something I asked here already, what part did the law/state actually play in this eviction ?'

I have already set out how the letter of law would have have to have been followed. See my previous posts.

If you are after hard facts re this case; you won't get them.

However, to summarise: guy has debt; guy doesn't pay debt for X years. Bank/State/Whoever defaults him; guy still doesn't pay. Now, one or more of these Debts gets sold on. One creditor acquires court order to remove, gives notice to debtor; guy still refuses to move and bailiffs are instructed. Bailiff agents attend and, violá, confrontation.

Does that answer your question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Just a point, they do not need to be licensed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement