Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was that about in strokestown?

Options
  • 16-12-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the background to the farm eviction in Strokestown?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057938456[/URL]

Elderly brothers and sister evicted from their home by force on Tuesday.
    House occupied by Loyalist heavies on behalf of KBC up until lastnight, when their vans were burned out by locals.

Whatever about taking the land if its not been paid for, surely this is woeful stupidity by KBC to employ UVF thugs to evict them from their home - given the inevitable reaction!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Neddyusa wrote: »

House occupied by Loyalist heavies on behalf of KBC up until lastnight, when their vans were burned out by locals.

Whatever about taking the land if its not been paid for, its crazy stuff by KBC to employ UVF thugs to evict them from their home!

And the attack this morning at 0530am aswell. I've a strange feeling there's some sort of paramilitary involvement there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

whelan2 wrote: »
    Local shop sells drums of kerosene. Does a great trade in them. Often wondered what system the people who use them have for putting them in the tank, or Could you just feed the boiler direct from the drum like the detergent on the milk tank?

Wonder how these hardy boys transported the fuel and pumped it. Strokestown living up to it's name, apparently they were fairly rough with the people when evicting them, an ex member of AGS and friend who was visiting the property at the time got a walloping.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=371193600096894&id=100016187709254

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

""Ah ya some northerns came down to repossess a house about 25 of them and beat some of the lads in the house and last night about 70 lads came back to take the house back"" a locals take on it

""Ah ya some northerns came down to repossess a house about 25 of them and beat some of the lads in the house and last night about 70 lads came back to take the house back"" a locals take on it

(locals) a lot of cross border traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

148multi wrote: »

A hard border would stop that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A hard border would stop that carry on.

Stop it

Reggie. wrote: »
    And the attack this morning at 0530am aswell. I've a strange feeling there's some sort of paramilitary involvement there

The rents around strokestown will go sky high with all the lads that want to be locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

148multi wrote: »

Local as in a lad i know lives in strokestown and i asked what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1216/1017458-roscommon-attack/

House recently repossessed. TD raised issue about an eviction. Security were on site overnight when a large crowd came with baseball bats and attacked them, setting fire to vehicles and killing a few dogs.

Anyone know the backstory?

Or know what was the story with a recent repossession in Roscommon?

Local as in a lad i know lives in strokestown and i asked what happened

Wasn't attacking your post, most people I talked to didn't know the lads involved this morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note A few posts pulled in to a seperate thread from chit chat.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

148multi wrote:

They'll need visas soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Reggie. wrote: »

Thing is you call them boys for a hand and you have to keep paying them back for a long time to repay the favor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Thing is you call them boys for a hand and you have to keep paying them back for a long time to repay the favor

Wouldn't think so in this case. Don't know the back story only it's in the same family for 3 generations and 3 siblings lived in the house, one passed away not long ago. Circumstances changed that leads to the eviction. What ever about the debt and having to go fair enough.

Sending down ex uvf heavys to illaglly evict is a big no no that scratches the nerve/core of allot of Irish people. "In my opinion" this is what needs to be stamped out quickly before it's normal. Good work lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Neddyusa wrote: »

Whatever about taking the land if its not been paid for, surely this is woeful stupidity by KBC to employ UVF thugs to evict them from their home - given the inevitable reaction!

KBC - The Bank Of U VF

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's an opportunity too for certain political persuasions to give a warning of what may happen again with a hard border.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A lot more information on the financial situation that led to the eviction in this article

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-investigate-dissident-links-to-predawn-attack-at-repossessed-house-37632029.html

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Caranica wrote: »
    A lot more information on the financial situation that led to the eviction in this article

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-investigate-dissident-links-to-predawn-attack-at-repossessed-house-37632029.html

If that article is correct, then I'd have no sympathy for them
    Unlikely cabot knowingly hired UVF heavies, but I'd have no sympathy for any kind of heavies either,if you want to be a hard man take what comes.

Edit ; just to clarify I mean no sympathy for the owner
    going by the article KBC has nothing to do with current events ,they sold the debt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The elderly people evicted over refusing to pay what they owe won’t be moving back into that place now so I can’t see the point in this whole sorry exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

splinter65 wrote: »
    The elderly people evicted over refusing to pay what they owe won’t be moving back into that place now so I can’t see the point in this whole sorry exercise.

Would have been 40-something when it was all going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Suckler

oneten wrote: »
    If that article is correct, then I'd have no sympathy for them
    Unlikely cabot knowingly hired UVF heavies, but I'd have no sympathy for any kind of heavies either,if you want to be a hard man take what comes.

People like him not paying debts (not just the bank/Revenue/local suppliers) then dragging it out through the courts only make it harder for you-& everyone else that genuinely borrow from banks. The more this stuff goes on the more KBC type banks we'll end up with. Local branches won't want to know in case it goes wrong, easier to blame faceless KBC/vulture fund/UVF etc. We've an incredibly naive and immature attitude to people who won't pay debts. "Poor old farming family" my arse, then knew what they were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

gctest50 wrote: »

Would have been 40-something when it was all going on

So they’re only in their 50s now? Play silly games, win silly prizes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Back in 2008 the quarry had to get a judgement against them for €18,000

gctest50 wrote: »
    Back in 2008 the quarry had to get a judgement against them for €18,000

Its alleged one brother ran up a nice bill in a local pub. Not quiet as bad as the quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tax defaulters cut us all short, they deny money to essential services in hospitals and schools.

Nobody would condone outright violence but the court made the decision and the property was to be taken. Rest of us pay our taxes and struggle along, why should these people get a free pass and sympathy when their reckless lifestyle catches up with them.

I’ve said before even though it’s unpopular. Farms cane be exempt from repossession for had debts. We all borrow money and we all understand that if you don’t pay the security needs to be taken to cover the debt. It’s the way a functioning finance system works.

it damages the overall reputation of farmers when bad debts can’t be recovered and they are then less and less likely to lend out against securities they can never recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Suckler wrote: »
    People like him not paying debts (not just the bank/Revenue/local suppliers) then dragging it out through the courts only make it harder for you-& everyone else that genuinely borrow from banks. The more this stuff goes on the more KBC type banks we'll end up with. Local branches won't want to know in case it goes wrong, easier to blame faceless KBC/vulture fund/UVF etc. We've an incredibly naive and immature attitude to people who won't pay debts. "Poor old farming family" my arse, then knew what they were at.

Just to clarify ,by "them" I ment the farmer not the heavies , no sympathy for any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The same thing is going to end up happening over a block of land in wexford. Banks have the land sold on but the man they repossessed it off isn't giving up and has managed to sow and harvest the crop every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The same thing is going to end up happening over a block of land in wexford. Banks have the land sold on but the man they repossessed it off isn't giving up and has managed to sow and harvest the crop every year

Similar carry-on here, but the new owner put up a mass concrete wall at the entrance after previous owner cut his barley off it and planted it with osr that night, you wouldn’t mind but the particular family in question left north of a million owing to various creditors when they went bust and still go around with necks on them like a jockeys b****k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement