Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was that about in strokestown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I read that two men have been arrested for their actions - burning vans, attacking bailiffs and killing an animal is nothing more than thuggery. That kind of behaviour is not something that should be allowed to happen in a peaceful, modern society.
    I hope the court deals appropriately with those who committed the criminal acts at the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a lot of garbage, untruths, fake news and misinformation being spouted by some on this thread.

First off there was no unlicenced individuals involved. There is no such requirements or regulation involved. As well it is quite possible that these Bailiffs were licenced under NI legislation but there is no requirement in Irish law. As well strictly speaking under EU law they are entitled to free movement of labour just as plumbers, electricians and other skills and trades have under EU law. Just like a nurse and doctor the y can practice there profession anywhere in the EU. While we are trying to stop a hard border there are some republican's want this to be a limited entity

Charlie Flanagan was incorrect in his stated this may be a loophole. There was never a requirement or a need up to now and still no need. While the Bailiffs involved were from NI there is no proof that they are members of Loyalist organisation. Mind as far as I know in the past a few individual's of republican orgin acted as security and as bailiffs at times.

There was nothing unlawful happened until the 20 you're came along with baseball bats. It looks like the Gardai have been fast off the mark and may have identified the individual's involved in the attack on the legally acting bailiffs and if they have I hope that due process will be followed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There is a lot of garbage, untruths, fake news and misinformation being spouted by some on this thread.

First off there was no unlicenced individuals involved. There is no such requirements or regulation involved. As well it is quite possible that these Bailiffs were licenced under NI legislation but there is no requirement in Irish law. As well strictly speaking under EU law they are entitled to free movement of labour just as plumbers, electricians and other skills and trades have under EU law. Just like a nurse and doctor the y can practice there profession anywhere in the EU. While we are trying to stop a hard border there are some republican's want this to be a limited entity

Charlie Flanagan was incorrect in his stated this may be a loophole. There was never a requirement or a need up to now and still no need. While the Bailiffs involved were from NI there is no proof that they are members of Loyalist organisation. Mind as far as I know in the past a few individual's of republican orgin acted as security and as bailiffs at times.

There was nothing unlawful happened until the 20 you're came along with baseball bats. It looks like the Gardai have been fast off the mark and may have identified the individual's involved in the attack on the legally acting bailiffs and if they have I hope that due process will be followed.

Considering the trail of bad debts this family have left locally I’ve no doubt there are people happy to help the guards with information on these thugs.

The family are being portrayed as some sort of innocent halfwits being set upon by revenue and KBC bank for no good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There was nothing unlawful happened until the 20 you're came along with baseball bats.

The Garda have said that they are investigating two alleged assault during the eviction but you say that nothing unlawful happened , how do you know that no charges will come from these investigations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

_Brian wrote: »
    Considering the trail of bad debts this family have left locally I’ve no doubt there are people happy to help the guards with information on these thugs.

The family are being portrayed as some sort of innocent halfwits being set upon by revenue and KBC bank for no good reason.

They should be billed for the cost of the garda investigation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The Garda have said that they are investigating two alleged assault during the eviction but you say that nothing unlawful happened , how do you know that no charges will come from these investigations?

Because the Garda on site didn't see any issues. If it is found the evictees were assaulted then the law should deal with them. Funny how it's important the law is obeyed when it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The bolded words and the key her alleged assault. Someone make a complaint of an assault and the Garda have to investigate. Unless you are saying everything the Garda investigate is what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

They should be billed for the cost of the garda investigation too.

Do others get billed for investigations. No they dont. The good old tax payer pays for the investigation and the free legal aid (if applicable)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Aravo wrote: »
    Do others get billed for investigations. No they dont. The good old tax payer pays for the investigation and the free legal aid (if applicable)

The good old taxpayers that pay their mortgages and loans as well.......and everything else as well

wrangler wrote:
    The good old taxpayers that pay their mortgages and loans as well.......and everything else as well

I'm all that. And also the CLP fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

_Brian wrote:
    They aren't going after the thugs from Northern Ireland as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

eagle eye wrote: »
    They aren't going after the thugs from Northern Ireland as far as I'm aware.
    There was no thugs from NI just some legally sanctioned bailiffs plying there trade under EU law just like a plumber, nurse, teacher or electrician.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

There was no thugs from NI just some legally sanctioned bailiffs plying there trade under EU law just like a plumber, nurse, teacher or electrician.
    then why bring them down from the northern Ireland?

No you are wrong there were a lot of thugs from NI. Just because you don't have information about them doesn't mean they aren't thugs.
    These thugs were then attacked by other thugs. Personally I was delighted when I heard about it.
    I'm not pro the farmer who doesn't pay his debts but I am against bringing thugs down from Northern Ireland to do the eviction job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

All security staff and personal have to be licenced in this country by the PSA.
    I am certain that security staff from Northern Ireland are not covered by the PSA.

And the same for that situation in Dublin a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

dzer2 wrote: »
    I am certain that security staff from Northern Ireland are not covered by the PSA.

They don't have to be licenced or even resident in the country to carry out an eviction. The eviction was carried out legally. This has already been established, days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

dzer2 wrote: »

This came up on the other thread about this numerous times and was also discussed in the Dail as far as I remember. The people carrying out an eviction do not have to be registered with the psa. Government has said that this will be looked at.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1218/1017908-roscommon/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

oceanman wrote: »
    then why bring them down from the northern Ireland?

To get peoples gander up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

How was the cattle trade this week for us farmers who are out working to pay our bank loans and trying to keep a good name for farmers who work hard and pay our debt.

pablo128 wrote:
    They don't have to be licenced or even resident in the country to carry out an eviction. The eviction was carried out legally. This has already been established, days ago.
    Sadly this is correct.
    You can get thugs to carry out an eviction which is so wrong. And if you really want to annoy people you can get Northern Ireland thugs.

• Advertisement

I'm all that. And also the CLP fees

I didn't mean anything against you,
    Country would be in some mess if everyone did like the Mc Ganns.
    What did they expect after seven repossession orders, of course they were going to be manhandled out

wrangler wrote:
    I didn't mean anything against you, Country would be in some mess if everyone did like the Mc Ganns. What did they expect after seven repossession orders, of course they were going to be manhandled out

No offense taken. The CLP was mentioned tongue in cheek as it arose recently. Other outside boardsies would not understand the abbreviation.

One thing I'm not totally clear on. Did the person buy land they could not afford or invest in something, or business venture failed. It was a hugh tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Gardai have made arrests..

This needs to be really seen through. Serious charges brought here. It was an act of anarchy, an attack against the state, and should be made a top priority

And, no matter how you feel about the eviction etc, we as a people should ALL be behind the apprehending and pursuing of these vigilantes...

No politician should condone, or fail to condemn!

No offense taken. The CLP was mentioned tongue in cheek as it arose recently. Other outside boardsies would not understand the abbreviation.

One thing I'm not totally clear on. Did the person buy land they could not afford or invest in something, or business venture failed. It was a hugh tax bill.

I've never seen any account of how they lost the money, They seem to be in trouble for the last 20+ years.
    Can't understand how people who depend on borrowed money to drive their business or buy homes can support them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The tax bill seemed to be mostly made up of interest and penalties so the borrower must have declined to pay Revenue in a timely manner.

He must have paid Revenue though because dont they get payment before everyone else. KBC or whoever they sold the loan too wouldnt get possession of the assets if Revenue were due money. The Revenue commissioners need to make a statement now on behalf of taxpayers, has the amount outstanding been paid for definite and how long were Revenue chasing this money and using other taxpayers money to get it.

Whoever lent these enormous sums of money is at fault too. Surely you would check a persons record before giving them a loan for a landrover or giving them loans to buy property. I suppose any legal costs due now will be paid by the free legal aid system, this country is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

How was the cattle trade this week for us farmers who are out working to pay our bank loans and trying to keep a good name for farmers who work hard and pay our debt.

As a city man I don't think this is bringing a bad name to farmers. Most are aware of the hard work, long hours, risks and the big bills faced by farmers, most of whom pay their bills. Plenty of other folk not involved in farming loosing their homes, these cases are just not highlighted in media. Look at Ivan Yates. Lost his ancestral home to the bank.

No we should not all be behind it. We need to look at why this happened. Thugs from Northern Ireland came down to Strokestown be acting like they owned the place.
    We have a long history of being under British rule, evictions by evil landlords, the famine, the troubles in the north, the black and tans.
    It was a horrendously stupid and grossly negligent decision to send these people down from Northern Ireland to evict people. The reaction to it is not a huge surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sadly this is correct.
    You can get thugs to carry out an eviction which is so wrong. And if you really want to annoy people you can get Northern Ireland thugs.

And if you want to annoy country folk you could get a Dublin Crew. Hell, I'd say if you got a few bucko's from the next parish over they would still have been foaming at the mouth.
    The nordies were just a convenient stick to try beat the authorities with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some politicians will only condemn one side in this whole debacle, because it was their thugs beating up the other side's thugs.

There was very little violence in the eviction from what I saw. If people have to be removed from a premises, but refuse to do so and struggle, it will look bad if others have to carry or drag them away, but it has to be done. The occupants were asked for many months to leave. They left no other option.

The real violence came that night. Proper violence with arson, baseball bats etc. On a completely different level to what we saw during the eviction. And to cheer it on and revel in it shows a level of hatred that is just under the surface with many folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

tretorn wrote: »
    The tax bill seemed to be mostly made up of interest and penalties so the borrower must have declined to pay Revenue in a timely manner.

He must have paid Revenue though because dont they get payment before everyone else. KBC or whoever they sold the loan too wouldnt get possession of the assets if Revenue were due money. The Revenue commissioners need to make a statement now on behalf of taxpayers, has the amount outstanding been paid for definite and how long were Revenue chasing this money and using other taxpayers money to get it.

Whoever lent these enormous sums of money is at fault too. Surely you would check a persons record before giving them a loan for a landrover or giving them loans to buy property. I suppose any legal costs due now will be paid by the free legal aid system, this country is bonkers.

Is it possible the loan was to pay off the revenue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement