Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was that about in strokestown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Please don't pretend if they had a PSA license then this wouldn't have happened. There are a bunch of anti-eviction shysters giving bad advice to people and causing trouble and have been for some time. If the lads weren't from the north they would have latched onto something else to cause trouble about.

And yet with the other, circa 80 evictions thus week, we hear nothing.

Can you enlighten us to why you think this is different, why was this picked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Danzy wrote: »
    And yet with the other, circa 80 evictions thus week, we hear nothing.

Can you enlighten us to why you think this is different, why was this picked?

The other 80 left the property they no longer owned without any hassle?

Do you think the crowds were there at the eviction to serve tea and sandwiches like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

People in the north are allowed to identify as British, just as they are allowed to identify as Irish. Looks like we haven't come very far at all. Believing you are British doesn't make you a thug. Nor does the manner of the eviction which seems to be all above board according to gardai on site and the gardai commissioner.

If you were evicting a person in a Loyalist area in the north and they said to you that"its a disgrace that British people are evicting British people" and you said I'm not British I'm Irish, what reaction would you get? The guy who said he was British was saying listen I'm different from you I'm not Irish ,I'm British, he was making a point. He knew what he was saying, it was direct. you are either naive or disingenuous.

If you were evicting a person in a Loyalist area in the north and they said to you that"its a disgrace that British people are evicting British people" and you said I'm not British I'm Irish, what reaction would you get? The guy who said he was British was saying listen I'm different from you I'm not Irish ,I'm British, he was making a point. He knew what he was saying, it was direct. you are either naive or disingenuous.

If someone said I was British because I was from Ireland I would correct them, as would anyone.

The other 80 left the property they no longer owned without any hassle?

Do you think the crowds were there at the eviction to serve tea and sandwiches like?

Ahh lad you are grasping now, come on.

Make an effort at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Please don't pretend if they had a PSA license then this wouldn't have happened. There are a bunch of anti-eviction shysters giving bad advice to people and causing trouble and have been for some time. If the lads weren't from the north they would have latched onto something else to cause trouble about.

I will if you will please not pretend that those "lads" not being from this state had nothing to do with how this escalated.

If someone said I was British because I was from Ireland I would correct them, as would anyone.

As I said either naive or being disingenuous.The later i think.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I will if you will please not pretend that those "lads" not being from this state had nothing to do with how this escalated.

Of course it did, cleary bigotry and sectarianism is alive and kicking, didn't take much to scratch the veneer off. Nothing the security lads did was illegal but people are focusing now on their supposed national identify. As of that justifies burning 4 cars, killing a dog and beating the daylights out of 8 men doing a job they were contracted to do.

While I would admire your honesty and even bravery in doing so, there are large swathes of where that lad came from where I wouldn`t advise it.
    At least not without very good health and life insurance coverage.

Of course it did, cleary bigotry and sectarianism is alive and kicking, didn't take much to scratch the veneer off. Nothing the security lads did was illegal but people are focusing now on their supposed national identify. As of that justifies burning 4 cars, killing a dog and beating the daylights out of 8 men doing a job they were contracted to do.

You are really trying to run with it. Lol.

Goodnight. I have to be up at 6.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    You are really trying to run with it. Lol.

Goodnight. I have to be up at 6.

I'm not a big fan of bigotry is all.

Night.

I'm not a big fan of bigotry is all.

Night.

😀

To be quite honest if both press articles posted on here are anyway accurate as regards both groups, my sympathy would be with the dog.
    As they say in my neck off the woods, "they were well met".
    People operating in this area need to be properly regulated. Not as is the case at the moment. Taking advantage of a legal loophole and having an Garda Siochana protecting them while they are doing it.

charlie14 wrote: »
    To be quite honest if both press articles posted on here are anyway accurate as regards both groups, my sympathy would be with the dog.
    As they say in my neck off the woods, "they were well met".
    People operating in this area need to be properly regulated. Not as is the case at the moment. Taking advantage of a legal loophole and having an Garda Siochana protecting them while they are doing it.

Loophole or not though, they didn't do anything wrong during the eviction that I saw. Having a PSA license wouldn't have changed how the eviction was carried out.

Loophole or not though, they didn't do anything wrong during the eviction that I saw. Having a PSA license wouldn't have changed how the eviction was carried out.

It may have not, but it would certainly have helped in assuring this didn`t escalate to the level it did.

The optics of an Garda Siochana giving protection to a group that had no licence to carry out even the most basic security in this state didn`t help either.

Well the other lads didn't do anything wrong that you saw either. That's dosnt mean they didn't do anything wrong. how did the ex guard get his head bust open?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will all be forgotten about in a day or two anyway. I'm sure this kind of thing is happening all over the place re people who have lived in a property without payment for years.

Time to call them out really, they are taking the P big time, but anyway there seems to be no time at all for those who are at the pin of their collars making payments to keep their families in a home. I don't get that connection here somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 noodleshack

pablo128 wrote: »
    You are agreed then that the eviction was carried out legally and above board?

If that was the law at work, it needs amended.

I'm Scottish (GF lives in Dublin) and no way would that **** with unlicensed men that happened in Roscommon fly over here. No way! Over here, there are whats called 'Sheriff Officers', regionally licensed by the Courts and they have to have proof of identity when attending evictions, etc. The English system has bailiffs and whilst their law is different to Scots' law the processes they follow are pretty much the same.

If your law allows anyone uncredited, unlicensed to work - irrespective of where their from - that loophole needs to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

tretorn wrote: »
    I am presuming KBC wouldnt go to Court to have someone evicted if the loan wasnt fairly big, they would have to spend a lot of money getting Court judgment so the amount outstanding would have to be worth their while.

I think KBC sold the loan, but you are correct the sum of money is large enough to have fought it in the courts for 10 years

My sympathy for this "poor" farmer has evaporated.
    He feckin' paid nobody it seems, banks or locals

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What do you make of the exchange between Leo and Pearse? I find it disturbing that LV can support the action of 3 elderly people being dragged from their homes in that manner in the first place. The best he could come up with was an arrogant quip about balaclavas - avoiding the issue. I don't think he supports the ordinary person falling on hard times. Possibly a backlash coming my way after that but it's what I think. I'm a Sinn Féin supporter.

They had to be removed. That’s the law..they refused to leave. They had time and notice. This didn’t just happen overnight. People do have sympathy, but let’s be correct here. The law breakers were the home owners...

Bailiffs are entitled to use force, if necessary. Otherwise you couldn’t enforce these very important laws. Would you rather that?

Nobody wants to see people suffer, either physically or emotionally here in this instance...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

He's an absolute chancer! It takes some doing to get a repossession order granted on a family home regardless of what some people think.

If you are engaging with the bank and paying what you can off the mortgage then it's close to impossible to get a repossession order granted on a family home.

Same lad would probably be down at his local IFA meeting complaining about banks not lending to farmers and other SMEs. They want them to lend but not be able to recoup their losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What do you make of the exchange between Leo and Pearse? I find it disturbing that LV can support the action of 3 elderly people being dragged from their homes in that manner in the first place. The best he could come up with was an arrogant quip about balaclavas - avoiding the issue. I don't think he supports the ordinary person falling on hard times. Possibly a backlash coming my way after that but it's what I think. I'm a Sinn Féin supporter.

This whole ordeal is a wet dream for Sinn Fein. All this media attention about the "black and tans" evicting people from a house. Why doesn't Pearse Doherty talk about the reasons for the eviction? Why haven't the people engaged with the banks for nearly 10 years? What did they think was going to happen, were the banks going to forget about the loans? The same guy was taken to court by a local quarry as he owed them 18k. If I stop paying my mortgage, I lose my house. Why should the people involved here be any different?
    martyoo wrote: »
    Same lad would probably be down at his local IFA meeting complaining about banks not lending to farmers and other SMEs. They want them to lend but not be able to recoup their losses.

exactly, its people like him that make it hard for farmers or SME's to get funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If that was the law at work, it needs amended.

I'm Scottish (GF lives in Dublin) and no way would that **** with unlicensed men that happened in Roscommon fly over here. No way! Over here, there are whats called 'Sheriff Officers', regionally licensed by the Courts and they have to have proof of identity when attending evictions, etc. The English system has bailiffs and whilst their law is different to Scots' law the processes they follow are pretty much the same.

If your law allows anyone uncredited, unlicensed to work - irrespective of where their from - that loophole needs to be closed.

Irish law also has a Sheriff Officer system to enforce court orders and evictions.

I've no idea why KBC weren't availing of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

And people talk as if a united Ireland is around the corner.

If this is what awaits then I want no part of it. Keep both sides away from us southerners, they're not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 noodleshack

Irish law also has a Sheriff Officer system to enforce court orders and evictions.

I've no idea why KBC weren't availing of this.

That would be standard procedure. So, there were no sheriffs there at all, just the guards and the guys from the north? If these guys were unlicensed, it begs the question: why were they allowed to have court documents (eviction notice) in their possession? If they had any at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

"There were at least seven communications between the local sheriff and/or the sheriff's messenger and Mr McGann.

On September 18, the property was visited by the messenger and it is understood Mr McGann was informed of the date that possession would take place.

It appears he was given further time in September to make arrangements or engage with the bank.

On December 9, a further visit confirmed the date and time for possession, December 11 at 1pm."

- https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/farmer-was-informed-of-repossession-of-property-seven-times-37639971.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

That would be standard procedure. So, there were no sheriffs there at all, just the guards and the guys from the north? If these guys were unlicensed, it begs the question: why were they allowed to have court documents (eviction notice) in their possession? If they had any at all?

Not 100% sure but I heard the roscommon / /Longford sheriff had either retired or was off sick. That was a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Seems a lot of people have fallen into the same trap as the vegans
    They’ve see. A shaky video filmed on a camera phone with somebody talking over it saying “isn’t this terrible an elderly man being beaten up”

When it was a man in his 50’s being forcefully removed but not being beaten up by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

148multi wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I heard the roscommon / /Longford sheriff had either retired or was off sick. That was a few months ago.

Afaik in roscommon the county registrar is the Sheriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

caff wrote: »
    Afaik in roscommon the county registrar is the Sheriff

Don't think so, two different people, county registrar is fintan Murphy, I've seen him accompany the sheriff, he may well be his superior.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement