Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Where did I condone McGann's behaviour? I firmly believe people should honour their commitments. My issue in this case is the manner in which the eviction was carried out. I don't agree with heavy handed intimidation.

What heavy handed intimidation? If the contractors turned up at 5am with baseball bats and beat them to a pulp you'd have a point. McGann was warned this was coming. There were seven visits by the sheriff including 2 days before the eviction. He had plenty of time to get his affairs in order, to arrange alternative accommodation and move out. He chose not to, he chose to invite in others to impede the eviction.

Where the sub contractors were from is irrelevant to this, they were there lawfully, wore bodycams and removed the trespassers (because thats what they were) with restrained force. They certainly did nothing to invite the barbarity of Sunday morning.

By defending this guy you certainly do not believe people should honour their commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

blanch152 wrote: »
    Only saw this post now. Should have guessed that this serious issue was only a joke to you.

We can't be humorous at any time? Lighten up.

blackwhite wrote: »
    And yet again the dog-whistle goes out to try and summon the knuckle-draggers :rolleyes:

How would you describe them?

gandalf wrote: »
    What heavy handed intimidation? If the contractors turned up at 5am with baseball bats and beat them to a pulp you'd have a point. McGann was warned this was coming. There were seven visits by the sheriff including 2 days before the eviction. He had plenty of time to get his affairs in order, to arrange alternative accommodation and move out. He chose not to, he chose to invite in others to impede the eviction.

Where the sub contractors were from is irrelevant to this, they were there lawfully, wore bodycams and removed the trespassers (because thats what they were) with restrained force. They certainly did nothing to invite the barbarity of Sunday morning.

By defending this guy you certainly do not believe people should honour their commitments.

You didn't answer my question gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

blanch152 wrote:
    Only saw this post now. Should have guessed that this serious issue was only a joke to you.

Just an observation but you do know this is AH forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭blackwhite

How would you describe them?

A security firm? Like any normal person not trying to push a violent agenda.

The attempt to appeal to the armchair bigots was a bit too transparent TBH.

There was a question. It looked like you were preaching from your twisted logic pulpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Two questions:

1) Was the person who was evicted assaulted?

2) Do you understand that when you do not pay for something, it no longer belongs to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Unsurprisingly a SF politician politician has openly supported vigilante violence. A leopard doesnt change it's spots.
    A Sinn Féin representative has refused to condemn the vigilante attack on security guards in Roscommon, saying he would be "disappointed if it didn't happen".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sf-councillor-says-he-can-not-condemn-vigilantes-37643526.html

blackwhite wrote: »
    A security firm? Like any normal person not trying to push a violent agenda.

The attempt to appeal to the armchair bigots was a bit too transparent TBH.

I'm all about transparency.

• Advertisement

There was a question. It looked like you were preaching from your twisted logic pulpit.

A twisted logic pulpit...do they sell those on amazon?

Naos wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) Was the person who was evicted assaulted?

2) Do you understand that when you do not pay for something, it no longer belongs to you?

1) Yes
    2) Yes I do, anything else I can help you with? Why is the sky blue, the grass green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

And people really think a United Ireland is achievable with all sides respecting the other??

Bahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Where did I condone McGann's behaviour? I firmly believe people should honour their commitments. My issue in this case is the manner in which the eviction was carried out. I don't agree with heavy handed intimidation.

You have condoned the vigilante mob attack.

It is obvious to most that this guy deserved to have his home and farm repossessed. It is a prime example of a cut and dry legitimate eviction. I'd question why KBC did not go this route this sooner given the visability we have of this "famers" credit and tax history. Maybe it was a clause in the sale of distressed loans to the vulture fund that they dealt with the worst performing ones.

The real shame is that this will taint the perception of banks for future repossessions. So someone who has got into distress for genuine reasons will be thrown to the vultures. That is the real danger here the banks will just take the haircut and divest all this loans to third parties who will be far more aggressive in dealing with the debtors. If people engage with the banks they could get an agreement/deal with the bank but they would have to communicate and be prepared to work with the bank. The banks will never just leave the loans or walk away. If they did they might as well stop lending to people for mortgages. How would people manage to purchases homes then?

Again I think this blew up because of an Orange mist that fogged people of a certain political persuasions view but as the facts about the debtor and the real picture of the events have emerged the majority certainly see it for what it is. Defending a sponger and an excuse to beat workers up because of where they are from and maybe their religion, sectarian reasons.

Unsurprisingly a SF politician politician has openly supported vigilante violence. A leopard doesnt change it's spots.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sf-councillor-says-he-can-not-condemn-vigilantes-37643526.html

I called this a couple of days ago in relation to Sinn Fein.

(1) McGann is a neighbour and friend of Matt Carthy, who has released a press statement supporting McGann.

(2) A violent vigilante mob show up to kick out the security guards, injuring them, burning out cars and killing a dog.

It is easy to believe that (1) and (2) are related. The refusal of SF representatives to condemn the vigilante mob only adds fuel to the allegation that the two are related.

And people really think a United Ireland is achievable with all sides respecting the other??

Bahahaha.

From reading this thread it looks like the green side want an ethnically cleansed United Ireland.

You have condoned the vigilante mob attack.

Ok. That isn't condoning McGann's behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Just saw the clip of Leo yesterday in the Dail. He was absolutely fuming but kept his cool and nailed Doherty completely. Impressive.

Honestly speaking, I think the real losers in all of this are Sinn Fein. They will get reminded of this incident time and time again but especially during General Elections.

From reading this thread it looks like the green side want an ethnically cleansed United Ireland.

United Ireland only works with full Unionist inclusion.

• Advertisement

Ok. That isn't condoning McGann's behaviour.

Great. You believe that people should pay their debts, but if they don't pay their debts, it is ok for a rent-a-mob to come along and attack those charged with repossession.

Somewhere in there is a twisted logic but I don't quite understand it.

United Ireland only works with full Unionist inclusion.

I very much doubt the majority of people in the Republic want a United Ireland.

Great. You believe that people should pay their debts, but if they don't pay their debts, it is ok for a rent-a-mob to come along and attack those charged with repossession.

Somewhere in there is a twisted logic but I don't quite understand it.

Of course people should pay their debts. My problem ( as stated numerous times) is the rent-a-mob performing the original eviction.

well, they might get to vote on it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Of course people should pay their debts. My problem ( as stated numerous times) is the rent-a-mob performing the original eviction.

Would you prefer the parish priest did it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would you be happier with the Gardai performing the eviction?

If that's the case get onto your local TD and request a change in all applicable laws to allow for this.

well, they might get to vote on it soon.

I very much doubt that too and this Strokestown incident will certainly not help the United Ireland side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Just saw the clip of Leo yesterday in the Dail. He was absolutely fuming but kept his cool and nailed Doherty completely. Impressive.

Honestly speaking, I think the real losers in all of this are Sinn Fein. They will get reminded of this incident time and time again but especially during General Elections.

I will be voting for Sinn Fein. Certainly not any fg or ff scum. I will be reminded of the homeless crisis, rent crisis , crisis in the
    health , service ,cervical cancer scandel etc etc etc. I hope the electorate don't forget my that.

I think you'll find that most will say it would be nice but not a must have situation.

We certainly could not afford NI ATM. The majority of jobs up there are public or heavily reliant on the public sector. Until that's readdressed a UI is not possible without massive economic damage to us in the South and a sudden erosion of Public Services in NI neither of which will help foster a coming together of the island.

The Brits would be delighted to be rid of them, the province is a millstone around their necks financially.

• Advertisement

Billcarson wrote: »
    I will be voting for Sinn Fein. Certainly not any fg or ff scum. I will be reminded of the homeless crisis, rent crisis , crisis in the
    health , service ,cervical cancer scandel etc etc etc. I hope the electorate don't forget my that.

Well if you want to address any of those situations you should also be cracking down on tax dodgers but based on your interactions in this thread you are defending them? Interesting!

Advertisement