Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I very much doubt that too and this Strokestown incident will certainly not help the United Ireland side.

I agree with Varadkar SF have certainly let the balaclava slip on this!

(God I feel dirty now!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Billcarson wrote: »
    I will be voting for Sinn Fein. Certainly not any fg or ff scum. I will be reminded of the homeless crisis, rent crisis , crisis in the
    health , service ,cervical cancer scandel etc etc etc. I hope the electorate don't forget my that.

And tell me this, - when the perpetual hurlers on the ditch get into power, how would they solve all of these issues? Abolish VRT or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

gandalf wrote: »
    I think you'll find that most will say it would be nice but not a must have situation.

We certainly could not afford NI ATM. The majority of jobs up there are public or heavily reliant on the public sector. Until that's readdressed a UI is not possible without massive economic damage to us in the South and a sudden erosion of Public Services in NI neither of which will help foster a coming together of the island.

The Brits would be delighted to be rid of them, the province is a millstone around their necks financially.

People would also question whether they want incidents like last Sunday morning to be regular occurrences in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Would you prefer the parish priest did it or what?

Maybe Santa Claus...given the season and all

kippy wrote: »
    Would you be happier with the Gardai performing the eviction?

If that's the case get onto your local TD and request a change in all applicable laws to allow for this.

I actually would. I think situations like this shouldn't be in the hands of private enterprise at all.

• Advertisement

I very much doubt that too and this Strokestown incident will certainly not help the United Ireland side.

This incident won't affect any potential vote. If it comes about it will be due to the fallout from Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    I called this a couple of days ago in relation to Sinn Fein.

(1) McGann is a neighbour and friend of Matt Carthy, who has released a press statement supporting McGann.

(2) A violent vigilante mob show up to kick out the security guards, injuring them, burning out cars and killing a dog.

It is easy to believe that (1) and (2) are related. The refusal of SF representatives to condemn the vigilante mob only adds fuel to the allegation that the two are related.

Blanch, stop telling porkies please.

Sinn Fein MEP condemns violence at Strokestown home as protest organised for Sunday
    Sinn Fein’s Matt Carthy has condemned the violent attack at a repossessed house in Strokestown this weekend.

]The MEP who lived next door to the McGann family at the centre of the controversy has called on the government to introduce measures to regulate security firms charged with executing re-possession orders on behalf of banks.

Speaking on the Joe Finnegan show this morning, Mr Carthy says it is not his place to challenge his Roscommon colleague’s Michael Mulligan’s statement that he would not condemn the acts of violence in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He says the people of Roscommon will judge his comments for themselves.

However, Matt Carthy says he does not condone any violence in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

1) Yes
    2) Yes I do, anything else I can help you with? Why is the sky blue, the grass green?

1) Are you as 100% sure on that as you are all your other 'facts'? You are stating that the man with the 'horrific' injuries, the bloody nose & scraped knee, was evicted?

2) If you understand that, why do you keep referring to it as their home? They have not paid for the home. Therefore, it is not their home. It is the banks property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I will be voting for Sinn Fein. Certainly not any fg or ff scum. I will be reminded of the homeless crisis, rent crisis , crisis in the
    health , service ,cervical cancer scandel etc etc etc. I hope the electorate don't forget my that.

And tell me this, - when the perpetual hurlers on the ditch get into power, how would they solve all of these issues? Abolish VRT or something?

Well fg and ff have had a free reign in running this country thus last nearly 100 yrs. Imo 100 yrs of failure. Im no die hard sf supporter btw but I'm more then willing to see can they do any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Well fg and ff have had a free reign in running this country thus last nearly 100 yrs. Imo 100 yrs of failure. Im no die hard sf supporter btw but I'm more then willing to see can they do any better.

I don't think it's as bad as you seem to think it is, I think we live in one of the very best countries in the world to live in, but that's just my opinion.

Though - my experience may be different than yours, and that's alright - either way I am glad that you have the right to a free opinion and that you use it.

I despise party politics as a whole tbh, goes against the very idea of doing the best for ones country, but also provides a route for things to actually happen - (there'd never be agreement on anything without a whip it seems :( ) but that's a different thread.

• Advertisement

Naos wrote: »
    1) Are you as 100% sure on that as you are all your other 'facts'? You are stating that the man with the 'horrific' injuries, the bloody nose & scraped knee, was evicted?

2) If you understand that, why do you keep referring to it as their home? They have not paid for the home. Therefore, it is not their home. It is the banks property.

1) Yes, I believe I am
    2) Ooh, you got me! They were staying there, so it can be called their home. Does a renter own a house? Do they still call their dwelling "home"?

You should be a detective.

It's called winning elections so it wasn't free reign and in a lot of cases they were in coalition. Jesus you'd swear it was a monarchy here or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Luckily they wont get that chance so gob****es like you can dream on

It's called winning elections so it wasn't free reign and in a lot of cases they were in coalition. Jesus you'd swear it was a monarchy here or something.

True yes they won those elections but I would love to see the fg and ff cycle broken and I do understand people's reservations about sf. But there aren't many political parties to choose from.

I don't think it's as bad as you seem to think it is, I think we live in one of the very best countries in the world to live in, but that's just my opinion.

Though - my experience may be different than yours, and that's alright - either way I am glad that you have the right to a free opinion and that you use it.

I despise party politics as a whole tbh, goes against the very idea of doing the best for ones country, but also provides a route for things to actually happen - (there'd never be agreement on anything without a whip it seems :( ) but that's a different thread.

I admit we are a better country then many others and every country has it's problems. But it frustrates me that we can be so much more.

A security firm from the north is basically the last group you would want to use to perform an eviction in the west of ireland. It would be like the KKK evicting a black family in Mississippi.

Are you from the west of Ireland yourself?

I am, and I've never heard anything as stupid as this statement in my life.

True yes they won those elections but I would love to see the fg and ff cycle broken and I do understand people's reservations about sf. But there aren't many political parties to choose from.

Look at this stage for me it's voting for the least offensive individual or tactically voting to try and depose the TD I really want rid of in my constituency. I did vote SF first in the last GE to try depose the local FG TD (which didn't work unfortunately) but I certainly won't be giving them anything next time. Their stance on evictions is economically naive and totally populist. In fact they seem to be trying to out do FF in the populist stakes.

Are you from the west of Ireland yourself?

I am, and I've never heard anything as stupid as this statement in my life.

I am too! Maybe we could be friends. Want to meet for a coffee? Bring along a history book while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Look at this stage for me it's voting for the least offensive individual or tactically voting to try and depose the TD I really want rid of in my constituency. I did vote SF first in the last GE to try depose the local FG TD (which didn't work unfortunately) but I certainly won't be giving them anything next time. Their stance on evictions is economically naive and totally populist. In fact they seem to be trying to out do FF in the populist stakes.
    SF s entire economic policy is based on the Jack and the beanstalk magic beans system.
    There are fools who still support it

Edgware wrote: »
    SF s entire economic policy is based on the Jack and the beanstalk magic beans system.

As I said I was voting to get someone out and not someone in at that stage. It was the first and only time they will get my vote ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I have voted Independent in the past 2 GEs because I had no other viable option.

I would be amazed to understand how you think Sinn Fein's magical money tree will fix the problems you listed above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If the homeless crisis, rent crisis, crisis in the health service, cervical scandal etc. etc. etc. is what you are concerned about, you'll get plenty more of that if Sinn Fein ever get control of the country.

I don't want to vote for FF/FG but the SF alternative is fcukin scary. It would be a disaster way worse than Brexit if they got into power. They haven't a clue when it comes to financing a country. Their ideas are pie-in-the-sky. Free everything for everybody and the rich will pay for it. Good luck with that.

1) Yes, I believe I am
    2) Ooh, you got me! They were staying there, so it can be called their home. Does a renter own a house? Do they still call their dwelling "home"?

You should be a detective.

1) they’re actually two different people.
    The scabby knee is one of the “elderly” brothers.
    The bloody nosed one is the former Garda, who threw himself onto the ground like a petulant 2 year old when his former colleague didn’t listen to his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ambiguous at best:

"it is not his place to challenge his Roscommon colleague’s Michael Mulligan’s statement that he would not condemn the acts of violence in the early hours of Sunday morning."

Pearse Doherty wouldn't condemn it in the Dail either. We know where SF stand on vigilante mobs.

1) they’re actually two different people.
    The scabby knee is one of the “elderly” brothers.
    The bloody nosed one is the former Garda, who threw himself onto the ground like a petulant 2 year old when his former colleague didn’t listen to his nonsense.

So two assaults then MaryAnne? Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your support.

So two assaults then MaryAnne? Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your support.

Throwing oneself on the ground isn’t assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ambiguous at best:

"it is not his place to challenge his Roscommon colleague’s Michael Mulligan’s statement that he would not condemn the acts of violence in the early hours of Sunday morning."

Pearse Doherty wouldn't condemn it in the Dail either. We know where SF stand on vigilante mobs.

article-1337561-0C62CAEF000005DC-535_634x404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭alan1963

And then you'll have "gettin the gardai to do the dirty work for the banks" being roared from behind hi vis vests. "nothin but bullies for the big banks" "debt collectors" etc. etc.

Will you just give it up, this "just before christmas" nonsense too, deflective bullcrap is all it is. Who cares whether it's december, may or september, the man had 9 years to get himself in order and he made no attempt. It's nearly a shame he didn't actually get a beating, wouldn't be undeserved.

What was done was right, bar the optics, but optics are just that, we work to the law in this country, no need to pander to armchair republicans.

In the UK the bailiffs don't do any evictions during the month of December they call it the Christmas amnesty, it is because the banks think it would give them bad publicity to evict people near Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Edgware wrote: »

If we are talking economics how come the children's hospital is now at least 400million over budget some say 700 million.

That dosnt include the €200-€300 million overspend in the HSE. That up 1 billion overspent between the two by some estimates.

Is there a FG magic money tree? 1 billion of our money, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bb12 wrote: »
    This is where the heretofore unmentioned 3rd brother PJ lives on his 200 acre farm
    strange I've seen Anthony address listed as Mount browne is that that big house or the small farm house, surely the house on the site of the former manor house address would be Mount Browne?

Advertisement