Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan & Neil Young, Kilkenny July 14th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dylan opened with
    Ballad of a Thin man
    in his last show, dropping
    Things have changed
    from the setlist for the first time in a long time.

Next up is Hyde park tomorrow which should give a good indication of what we will get in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

fafy wrote: »
    Spot on,
    This guy is unreal, keeps changing it, both on albums and live.

If anyone has not heard the solo accoustic live gig from Vicar Street,2003, its on Spotify.

Context is everything, no one who attended, had previously heard any of the “Greendale” album, and he played the whole lot, explaining it all - taking 90 minutes to do so, then he did another hour of a selection from his bast back catalogue,(not on the release) the album didn’t come out for another few months, those gigs were my first NY gig, and have been hooked ever since, a late comer yes, but have been following him very closely ever since. He never stops, its hard to keep up with him.

Neil is an incredible musician. Keeps churning out the albums and gigs. Looking forward to his new upcoming album with Crazy Horse. Think that's due in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭fafy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Looking forward to his new upcoming album with Crazy Horse. Think that's due in the next couple of months.

Yes, its recorded, and out soon. He also mentioned he would be touring it, but the reality is it is likely to amount to just a handfull of gigs in the U.S., its very unlikely we will see them over here again. They are just too old !!

Yes, its recorded, and out soon. He also mentioned he would be touring it, but the reality is it is likely to amount to just a handfull of gigs in the U.S., its very unlikely we will see them over here again. They are just too old !!

You never know. Will have to go to the States if they don't come here! :D

You never know. Will have to go to the States if they don't come here! :D

The NY & Crazy Horse Tour 2019, consisted of just two gigs ! Earlier this year, i think it was just a warm up for the album recording sessions.

• Advertisement

The NY & Crazy Horse Tour 2019, consisted of just two gigs ! Earlier this year, i think it was just a warm up for the album recording sessions.

It wasnt a tour, just a few select shows scattered with solo and POTR gigs. Be interested to see how Nils Lofgren fits into the Crazy Horse sound. It won't be the same without Poncho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭Zardoz

adrian522 wrote: »
    Next up is Hyde park tomorrow which should give a good indication of what we will get in Kilkenny.

These are the London stage times for tomorrow

Neil Young – 6pm-7.45pm
    Bob Dylan – 8.30pm-10.15pm

From he Aiken info sheet:

Q: What time will Bob Dylan & Neil Young be on stage?
    A: At the moment the stage times are as follows:
    Glen Hansard 1700 Neil Young 1800 Bob Dylan 2045
    Please note all times are subject to change. Please check the following websites for all the latest event updates:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,951 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Promise of the real were Bradley Coopers band in A Star is born intersting fact

not sure are they the same guys who are with Neil now but must watch the start of the movie too find out ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Promise of the real were Bradley Coopers band in A Star is born intersting fact

not sure are they the same guys who are with Neil now but must watch the start of the movie too find out ha

Saw Lucas Nelson & The Promise of the Real at Glastonbury. Great gig. Hes a proper talent in his own right. Can play, sing rock, soul etc. Finished with a 10 minute Rockin in the Free World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭villa2008

Kilkenny gig is been streamed live on the Neil Young Archive for subscribers to the archive.

Anybody know if there will be a Pit in front of the stage at this one?

villa2008 wrote: »

Anybody know if there will be a Pit in front of the stage at this one?

I first asked Aikens this question in May, and four more times more after that, no reply after 5 times asking them. its the last time i will ask them anything, they never reply to anything.

This is an apparent professional organisation,, but not in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭villa2008

I first asked Aikens this question in May, and four more times more after that, no reply after 5 times asking them. its the last time i will ask them anything, they never reply to anything.

This is an apparent professional organisation,, but not in my experience.

Yeah its a waste of time trying to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,951 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Nal wrote: »
    Saw Lucas Nelson & The Promise of the Real at Glastonbury. Great gig. Hes a proper talent in his own right. Can play, sing rock, soul etc. Finished with a 10 minute Rockin in the Free World.

Surprised they did not make them more to try and attract more but I suppose Neil and Bob would unlike that a bit

Imagine a load teeny boppers who loved A Star is born turning up on sunday. More the merrier I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

If anyone has not heard the solo accoustic live gig from Vicar Street,2003, its on Spotify

That was an incredible gig. We were no more then a few feet from Neil. I had to pinch myself a couple of times to be sure it was real. It felt like we were sitting in his front room as he worked his way through a bunch of A4 ring binders that he had stacked at his feet and a couple of acoustic guitars in what appeared to be random fashion while introducing us to the genius of the Greendale album..

Can’t wait to see Neil on Sunday. Bob not so much but I’m open to being pleasantly surprised and his band are always class.

villa2008 wrote: »
    Kilkenny gig is been streamed live on the Neil Young Archive for subscribers to the archive.?

And whole gig will be dedicated to the legendary Elliot Roberts, You gs manager for over 40 years, and Dylan worked with him also. This surely means a few duets, NY is in awe of Dylan, so i suppose we will find out from Hyde Park tomorrow night, but its a certainty they will play together for a few tracks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's far from a certainty unfortunately. It would be great though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's far from a certainty unfortunately. It would be great though.

Its going to happen, i’ve been following Young very closely for a good while now, it may be their last chance onstage together, Dylan is 78, Young is 74, Young has covered Dylan thousands of times, and mentioned him in song as well, he’s one of Neil’s alltime heroes, he got coverage in his biography, their joint appearances have been rare, but it will happen at both Hyde Park & Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

but it will happen at both Hyde Park & Kilkenny.

I admire your optimism and it would make it a very special gig but it’s incredibly unlikely that Dylan and Young will be on stage together at either venue..

But hey, let’s hope you’re right..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Watching the dylan biopic 'I'm not there' great movie

Really wish it the was the folk Dylan we were seeing on Sunday and not many 2019 one. At least I can say I saw him live

Again, don't go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It wasnt a tour, just a few select shows scattered with solo and POTR gigs. Be interested to see how Nils Lofgren fits into the Crazy Horse sound. It won't be the same without Poncho :(

Saw the lineup with Poncho in the Marquee a few years ago, fan-fcuking-tastic. I'd go to this gig only too difficult to get there and back. Old Neil Young is still immense, a rock yeti.

A detailed look at how their paths crossed- Young & Dylan

https://thrasherswheat.org/jammin/dylan.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Watching the dylan biopic 'I'm not there' great movie

Really wish it the was the folk Dylan we were seeing on Sunday and not many 2019 one. At least I can say I saw him live

To who?!

"I saw Dylan before"

"Did you enjoy it"

"No"

"Oh".

Always strikes me as weird, the box ticking thing. Surely you'd just want to go and enjoy a gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The Nal wrote: »
    To who?!

"I saw Dylan before"

"Did you enjoy it"

"No"

"Oh".

Always strikes me as weird, the box ticking thing. Surely you'd just want to go and enjoy a gig?

Don't think its weird, people have different reasons for doing things and we cant all be massive Bob Dylan fans.

One thing I note time and time again is that - in the context of 'heritage' acts that come to Ireland so often, Bob Dylan doesn't sell out nearly as quickly as others that would rank below him in the 'Tower of Song' so to speak.

Its a lot harder to get a ticket for Bruce Springsteen or Fleetwood Mac or Paul Simon or or Elton John.

Its not because Bob Dylan is a lesser artist, or has lesser songs - but clearly he is not 'selling' a show that consists of the greatest hits that you heard on the record, in a live setting.

Word has clearly gotten out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just got a standing ticket for €50 …

Sorted...

In for Hansard + Young …. Gone for Dylan. Nice one :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭flasher0030

greenspurs wrote: »
    Just got a standing ticket for €50 …

Sorted...

In for Hansard + Young …. Gone for Dylan. Nice one :)

From the sounds of a lot of posters here, they could swap the time-slots for Dylan and Hansard, without much controversy.

In fairness to Glen Hansard, he puts on one hell of a show. But it's not going to be illustrated in the half hour slot that he will get at 6 o'clock in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

From the sounds of a lot of posters here, they could swap the time-slots for Dylan and Hansard, without much controversy.

In fairness to Glen Hansard, he puts on one hell of a show. But it's not going to be illustrated in the half hour slot that he will get at 6 o'clock in the day.

He's on at 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Anyone camping for this? Trying to arrange transport back to Carlow but camping might be as easy. Bit late obviously.

From he Aiken info sheet:

Q: What time will Bob Dylan & Neil Young be on stage?
    A: At the moment the stage times are as follows:
    Glen Hansard 1700 Neil Young 1800 Bob Dylan 2045
    Please note all times are subject to change. Please check the following websites for all the latest event updates:

Says Gates open at 6 on the ticket ?

• Advertisement

cashback wrote: »
    Anyone camping for this? Trying to arrange transport back to Carlow but camping might be as easy. Bit late obviously.

Maybe try Cillin Hill ??

Or I just found this …

http://www.treegrovecamping.com/

Not far from Nowlan Pk.

Advertisement