Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan & Neil Young, Kilkenny July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Comerman

greenspurs wrote: »
    Says Gates open at 6 on the ticket ?
    Email from Ticketmaster today
    Sunday 14th July 2019
    Nowlan Park, Kilkenny

Running Times:
    Doors open – 4pm
    Glen Hansard – 5pm
    Neil Young + Promise of the Real – 6pm
    Bob Dylan and his Band – 8.45pm

* Please note all times are subject to change*

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Do you think we'll be allowed bring food in? or will they have more on offer than hamburgers?
    1700 to 2300ish is a long time. I don't like missing me dinner, and I don't eat hamburgers if I don't know who made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

greenspurs wrote:
    Says Gates open at 6 on the ticket ?

I've an email saying Glenn Hansard 4pm, Neil young 6pm & Bob Dylan 8pm.

I don't expect to see Dylan before 9pm, probably 9:15pm. Bob Dylan at 8pm suggests a 10pm curfew. I don't believe this to be the case. I'm thinking 11pm curfew.

I think it's a use your own judgement situation

Kewreeuss wrote:
    Do you think we'll be allowed bring food in? or will they have more on offer than hamburgers? 1700 to 2300ish is a long time. I don't like missing me dinner, and I don't eat hamburgers if I don't know who made them.

I love this post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Will Bob Dylan be singing at this or will he be doing his normal brand of talking singing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Will Bob Dylan be singing at this or will he be doing his normal brand of talking singing.

Bob now mumbles through his songs. You will struggle to know what he is singing. Having said that he still puts on a great show. Just don't expect him to acknowledge that the audience is there. It is what it is. I'm more a Neil young live fan rather than a Bob Dylan live fan but Bob & his band make great sounds. I won't be leaving early, that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Its not because Bob Dylan is a lesser artist, or has lesser songs - but clearly he is not 'selling' a show that consists of the greatest hits that you heard on the record, in a live setting.

Word has clearly gotten out on that.

I think there is more to it than that.

I love Dylan, he is a genius, his work is unrivalled, but he has the stage presence and charisma of a bag of spuds, plus he don't sound too hot anymore.

Take for instance another lyrical genius of similar vintage, the late great Leonard Cohen. A couple of words from him and the audience were putty in his hands. If he had come to Ireland every month it would sell out, if he sang Jingle Bells, the audience would swoon.

Dylan goes on the theory, they came to hear my music, that's ALL they are gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

According to the Twitter machine Neil Young amazing Bob not so much so far.

I love Dylan, he is a genius, his work is unrivalled, but he has the stage presence and charisma of a bag of spuds, plus he don't sound too hot anymore.

I love Dylan too. Unfortunately some hold him in too high a regard. The travelling Wilburys had five great artists. At least three had a better voice yet Bob sang most of the songs. Not slagging off Bob but Roy Orboson barely got a look in. This isn't bobs fault. His band mates seemed to be awestruck with him and gave him most of the lead vocals. Their two albums could have been better imo

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Do you think we'll be allowed bring food in? or will they have more on offer than hamburgers?
    1700 to 2300ish is a long time. I don't like missing me dinner, and I don't eat hamburgers if I don't know who made them.
    Oh my god, it's Neil Young the godfather of grunge, go on the beer and ate when you wake up Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I love Dylan too. Unfortunately some hold him in too high a regard.

I'm not sure that's possible.
    Absolutely and same applies to Leonard Cohen, nobody claimed they were great singers, but for what they wrote and how they wrote it, plus other factors like their influence on others on politics etc. made them icons.

I always think of David Bowies description of Dylan:

"strange young man called Dylan
    With a voice like sand and glue"

or Leonard Cohen taking the piss out of himself

"I was born with the gift of a golden voice"

Without these "average" singers though, we wouldn't have Jeff Buckleys "Hallelujah" or Jimmy Hendrix's "All along the watchtower" to mention but two..

When you get the complete package it elevates the product far beyond the technical singing ability of the artist, but unfortunately for a Dylan / Cohen type performer the lyrics really need to stand out and Bob's mumbling won't do that. He has little stage presence, and little charisma, to use as a substitute, so you kinda have to enjoy him for what he did do, rather than what he is doing up on stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've went to Dylan the last few times he's been in Ireland since about 05 onwards and surprised at some of the comments here. I would say I enjoyed almost all of them, one in the point a few years back (2011ish I think) was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Did a version of Forgetful Heart which was as good as any of his older songs.

Granted I'm a huge fan and hold some of his more recent work in just as high regard as his 60s-70s output but as long as you accept that he was never a great singer and is now very old and as some say, mumbles his way through songs at times you should enjoy the show.

In my experience, a lot of the people who go to Dylan and don't enjoy it haven't a notion about his output past 1970 and expect to hear the songs they know as they've heard them on the radio rather than as they are currently performed (and have been for decades at this point). Once you accept you're not getting a greatest hits show and his voice isn't what it was you'll enjoy it I'm fairly confident. Obviously it helps if you're a massive fan like I am.

Only saw Neil once in Malahide castle a good few years ago and loved it up until near the end when the 20 minute guitar solos made me lose interest fairly rapidly. Hope its a bit more restrained on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kewreeuss wrote:
    Do you think we'll be allowed bring food in? or will they have more on offer than hamburgers? 1700 to 2300ish is a long time. I don't like missing me dinner, and I don't eat hamburgers if I don't know who made them.

I love this post. :)

Hang sandwiches in the car park beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

fafy wrote:
    Its going to happen, i’ve been following Young very closely for a good while now, it may be their last chance onstage together, Dylan is 78, Young is 74, Young has covered Dylan thousands of times, and mentioned him in song as well, he’s one of Neil’s alltime heroes, he got coverage in his biography, their joint appearances have been rare, but it will happen at both Hyde Park & Kilkenny.

They didn't play together at Hyde Park.

Neil Young was rolling and rocking! Excellent! Dylan sounded like it was a rehearsel......

The above is a Facebook message from a friend who traveled from Sweden to Hyde Park to see them last night. We all have good & bad days. Let's hope the rehearsal is over by Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The above is a Facebook message from a friend who traveled from Sweden to Hyde Park to see them last night. We all have good & bad days. Let's hope the rehearsal is over by Sunday night

It won’t be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48783913

BBC review of the gig at Hyde park.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've went to Dylan the last few times he's been in Ireland since about 05 onwards and surprised at some of the comments here. I would say I enjoyed almost all of them, one in the point a few years back (2011ish I think) was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Did a version of Forgetful Heart which was as good as any of his older songs.

That was one of the best songs I've ever heard at a gig that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I love Dylan too. Unfortunately some hold him in too high a regard.

Including :):

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/14/leonard-cohen-giving-nobel-to-bob-dylan-like-pinning-medal-on-everest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭fafy

Cazale wrote: »
    They didn't play together at Hyde Park.

Ya, gutted, i hope we are luckier for tomorrow night, last gig together and the fact the gig is dedicated to Elliot Roberts, whi also worked with Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

fafy wrote: »
    Ya, gutted, i hope we are luckier for tomorrow night, last gig together and the fact the gig is dedicated to Elliot Roberts, whi also worked with Bob

In the Rolling Thunder film on Netflix, Bob makes his dislike of expectations very clear, but you never know.
    In 2001 Ronnie Wood guested in Kilkenny so, fingers crossed for a surprise :D:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The Nal wrote: »
    That was one of the best songs I've ever heard at a gig that night.

Yeah it was special, haven’t found it online anywhere since. Would love to hear it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mgkelly

Anyone got experience of parking in Kilkenny prior to such gigs? Driving down from Donegal. Happy (keen even) to park a wee bit away from the gig and walk, if it means a parking spot. The city centre car parks are touted are options? Eg the multistories?
    As for the gig, expect Neil Young to be wonderful and noisy ( saw him at Malahide) and Bod Dylan to be Bob! Saw him in Thomond - better than anticipated actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any recommendations on where to grab some food before the gig ??

With the match on I'd expect most places to be manic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah it was special, haven’t found it online anywhere since. Would love to hear it again.

Here you go

PTH2009 wrote: »

https://www.billybyrnes.com/food/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PTH2009 wrote: »

Hungary Moose might not be rammed, don't think there's a TV there, good burgers and you can grab a bottle of beer.

mgkelly wrote:
    Anyone got experience of parking in Kilkenny prior to such gigs? Driving down from Donegal. Happy (keen even) to park a wee bit away from the gig and walk, if it means a parking spot. The city centre car parks are touted are options? Eg the multistories? As for the gig, expect Neil Young to be wonderful and noisy ( saw him at Malahide) and Bod Dylan to be Bob! Saw him in Thomond - better than anticipated actually!

I'm looking for parking information too

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmichell

Hello,

Looking forward to the gig so much! But does anyone have a spare seat in a car or info on how to get back to Dublin after the gig? None of the trains or coaches are running until the wee hours. Happy to chip in for petrol!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I'm looking for parking information too

Are ye driving back or staying overnight?
    This was posted earlier

car parks include:
    St James’ Park, Freshford Road
    Orchard Bar Car Park, Johnswell Rd
    St Canice’s Hospital, Old Carlow Rd, Kilkenny
    Mac Donagh Junction
    Market Cross Shopping Centre.
    24hour City Centre car parks include:
    Market Yard
    Cathedral Square
    St Canices
    Fair Green