Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun attack at Christmas market, Strasbourg.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

yoke wrote: »
    Stories seem suspect? So you don’t believe that some of the Hindus or Chinese people who experience racism/hatred in the west would get radicalised, go back to India/China and spread racism/hatred there against the west?

Send me a PM if you are serious and you really don’t believe me

I’m engaged to an Indian woman. Send a pm if you want her story. Or don’t because I already gave her story. I should possibly have said the stories are not that representative, and we both have different anecdotes.

If racism exists in Ireland, expressed hatred and racism, it exists amongst the feral underclass and to tackle that would need a functioning police force and judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Hang on here just a minute, are you telling me that when you question some Muslims as to if they are a radical Islamist and despise other religions or faiths some of them say no????? Can I ask what news houses you have approached with this ground-breaking research? This information should be publicized more as it could help assuage the fears of people worried about all the murdering the Islamists commit around Europe due to their hate of other religions.

Ok. Not sure they’d be interested in fairly commonly knowndata but I’ll give it a go.

News sites you say? I’ll ping the Irish times first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah yes, round up thousands of people on the possibility that they might be an extremist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Demetrius

Ironically, actions like this are considerably more likely to create extremists than they are to prevent them.

A little bit of education goes a long way.

Were there many German extremists around Ireland after 1945 after they were interned during the war?? Many Japanese extremists in the US after internment after Pearl Harbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Danzy wrote: »
    In fairness to the French, British police etc, there would be attacks weekly if not for their effort.

One downside is that people do not realise the scale of this threat is much bigger than even the pessimists think.

Agreed, people do not realise how big the problem actually is.

Id say 99% of these guys are stopped before they can do any damage.

However this will continue while the pc and sjw brigades scream the loudest about their agendas. Open borders and multiculturalism have never and will never work

Islam has no place in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The criminal (still on the loose) has x27 convictions across x3 EU states.
    Perhaps the EU should smarten up on it's internal borders, nevermind it's already porous external borders (served by taxi boats and smugglers).

Technically Ireland, being an island, off another island, should be very safe compared to the EU mainland,
    but then again the x4 lads that jumped out of a truck via Spainish port months ago in Co Laois, only showed up on the radar last week.

So you're in favour of a hard border and checkpoints with the north then. Since it's now an internal, soon to be external, border?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Grayson wrote: »
    So you're in favour of a hard border and checkpoints with the north then. Since it's now an internal, soon to be external, border?

Nope, the x4 fellows jumped into the back of a lorry in Spain, and sprung out in the middle Co.Loais. Thus they bypassed two major international shipping ports.

As an island (surrounded by water), yes would require better checks at ports here (a road border isn't a shipping/air port).

More staff at Belfast port/airport is now a given now with brexit, So thus more staff should be also be present at Rosslare going forward.

It may even require staff placed at French/Spanish ports where numbers will likely dramtically increase after Britian leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭yoke

Boxing is not their religion, not a core of their identity. That is common the world over. Community is not organised on boxing.

You don’t need a religion to have an identity.
    People who seek identities in religion are... seeking an identity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Look the fact is this is the new normal. Most of these attacks are carried out by nutcase Muslims who have no direct connection to ISIS/Al Qaeda or any other flavor of the month Islamic groupings and tbh that's more worrying to me. We have vast amounts of Muslim mostly men who feel it's okay to go around killing us because we don't believe in or we take the piss out of their particular brand of sky fairy.

Personally speaking i don't want Ireland to end up like parts of France and think we should put strict limits on inward migration from Islamic countries. If that makes we a racist then so be it.

Main problem is Europe has become a soft touch. Politicians have no back bone, just look at what Merkel did, still wont admit she was wrong or do anything about it.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    So you've no evidence whatsoever other than the number of rascist metal bands. Come back to me with some actually evidence please.

Most victims of knife crime in London are not some innocent people going about there business, they are involved in crime themselves. And they don't go on killing sprees regardless. Stabbing one person isn't a spree.

Regardless, racism isn't an excuse to join a gang or become a terrorist and go about stabbing and killing people.

Why would you completely discount something like the existence of lots of racist bands as good evidence of racism existing in that society? Is there a logic to the type of evidence you will count?

You keep making stupid statements like “Most victims of knife crime in London are not some innocent people going about their business” without taking into account that most “innocent people” who have “business” have enough money to stay away from ****hole areas like Brixton, while the “innocent people” who stay in places like that quite often can’t get jobs and end up in a downward spiral of having to defend themselves against these idiots with knives, so they carry knives themselves, etc.

Stabbing one person isn’t a spree. Wow. How many is a spree then? Does it have to be all in the same week, or is it OK to spread out the stabbings over a year?

A little bit of thought and you would easily realize that the reason the people who go on sprees, go on sprees, is because they know they’ll be caught and stopped. The same type of people exist in Brixton who know they won’t be caught and won’t be stopped, so they don’t need to go on sprees, they just stab whoever they like for looking at them wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You don’t need a religion to have an identity.
    People who seek identities in religion are... seeking an identity

No but it is often part of their identity. It defines their values and life.

Born in to those values, grew up with them.

I would see the increasing fervour and absolutist thinking of so many activists on the Left as like those seeking a new religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

You add nothing to this board your just a troll and you have disrupted every thread you have spewed your garbage in.

I will be 100% honest I suspect that boards.ie has leftwing leanings that are why posters like you are allowed to get away with your outrages behaviour.

Innocent people are dead yet again and I am sad and furious and I am calling you on your BS.

I apologise this poster was dealt with.

I like many others got on with another day's work today these innocent people will never get that chance.

I’m engaged to an Indian woman. Send a pm if you want her story. Or don’t because I already gave her story. I should possibly have said the stories are not that representative, and we both have different anecdotes.

If racism exists in Ireland, expressed hatred and racism, it exists amongst the feral underclass and to tackle that would need a functioning police force and judiciary.

Can’t send you a PM as boards.ie says you have chosen not to receive PMs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nope, the x4 fellows jumped into the back of a lorry in Spain, and sprung out in the middle Co.Loais. Thus they bypassed two major international shipping ports.

As an island (surrounded by water), yes would require better checks at ports here (a road border isn't a shipping/air port).

More staff at Belfast port/airport is now a given now with brexit, So thus more staff should be also be present at Rosslare going forward.

It may even require staff placed at French/Spanish ports where numbers will likely dramtically increase after Britian leaves.

There's zero checks at our border. It's about as open as you can get. Yet you're complaining about open internal borders within the Eu. Our border is one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

RTE news this morning reported this as the action "an extremist", with no mention of him being "an Islamist extremist". Sanitised news reporting. They think it's for the best, but it's actually not: it's doing society a disservice by eliding the most important point.

No but it is often part of their identity. It defines their values and life.

Born in to those values, grew up with them.

I would see the increasing fervour and absolutist thinking of so many activists on the Left as like those seeking a new religion.

No one is born to any values.
    Values are instilled into young kids.
    Values can also change due to your life experiences.
    You can see whatever you choose to see, but that doesn’t mean you’re right.
    When you “fervently attack” someone, they will “fervently fight back”, so maybe that is the “fervour” you are seeing among those people who you identify as “the Left”.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    RTE news this morning reported this as the action "an extremist", with no mention of him being "an Islamist extremist". Sanitised news reporting. They think it's for the best, but it's actually not: it's doing society a disservice by eliding the most important point.

Why is that the most important point?

Is there some sort of points scoring system in place, where you get negative points for Anders Breivik and that guy who ran over a bunch of people in Charlottesville and that guy who killed a bunch of people in a mosque, compared to positive points if the attack was carried out by an ethnic minority guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Is there some sort of points scoring system in place, where you get negative points for Anders Breivik and that guy who ran over a bunch of people in Charlottesville and that guy who killed a bunch of people in a mosque, compared to positive points if the attack was carried out by an ethnic minority guy?

It wakes people up to the threat Islam poses to Europe. And people need waking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Grayson wrote: »
    There's zero checks at our border. It's about as open as you can get. Yet you're complaining about open internal borders within the Eu. Our border is one of those.

Mainland Europe is a very, very different case to the (Island) of Ireland as you well know.

All it requires is a basic level of trust from the border staff at Belfast ports, to do their job (this is a given now, as brexit will increase staff levels further across the entire uk) All entries from the EU (mainland) will face enhanced checks when trying to enter the UK.

The sperate CTA between UK & Ireland will most likely remain, almost as is. And additionaly the border backstop will additionally create a unique situation in Europe and on Ireland.

As such, folks camping out at Calais (who have travelled almost freely into and across the entire length of Europe) may seek to jump on a lorry and get to Rosslare.

Rosslare (Ireland) may become over and above their previous defacto choice of Dover from where to launch asylum applicaitons. This is despite France already being a somewhat peaceful country to live in.

So by your logic, Anders Breivik wakes people up to the threat posed by single loner white males to Europe. These guys must be stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The modern Left has gone absolutely nuts and is doubling down on that.

The younger generation is at another level.

Far removed from the vagaries of life, especially for the bottom half , hell even the bottom 3/4s.

This. And a throw in a fetish for the ethnic. An ethnic culture that must be defended from would-be bullies - that is how they view islam. To attain this view attacks are put in a 'the west began it' frame.

Often these type of leftists want little to do with trade unions, zero hour contract issues, or squeezed workers. The unglamourous but authentic traditional left paradigm is a total yawn to them.

They will often resort to equally nuts paradigms to defend welfare layabouts, seeing them as 'the poor' from a Charles Dickens novel, again victims of nasty bullies that need a noble defender. The idea of proletariat is unlinked with actual labour and wages in their minds.

They are typically young (but not always) and very active online, chasing kudos and cachet through virtue signalling: "Look at me - I'm a good person".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So by your logic, Anders Breivik wakes people up to the threat posed by single loner white males to Europe. These guys must be stopped!

We know Anders Brevik by name because he isn't the norm when it comes to this type of atrocity. How many of the Islamist killers that caused havoc through Europe do any of us know by name? Brevik is pretty much the exception to the rule on this, from a fundamental point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

https://twitter.com/CrooksLDavid/status/1072676835555770368?s=19

Filmed 2 hours before attack at the very spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

topper75 wrote: »
    This. And a throw in a fetish for the ethnic. An ethnic culture that must be defended from would-be bullies - that is how they view islam. To attain this view attacks are put in a 'the west began it' frame.

Often these type of leftists want little to do with trade unions, zero hour contract issues, or squeezed workers. The unglamourous but authentic traditional left paradigm is a total yawn to them.

They will often resort to equally nuts paradigms to defend welfare layabouts, seeing them as 'the poor' from a Charles Dickens novel, again victims of nasty bullies that need a noble defender. The idea of proletariat is unlinked with actual labour and wages in their minds.

They are typically young (but not always) and very active online, chasing kudos and cachet through virtue signalling: "Look at me - I'm a good person".

We have a post working class left. A movement that is far removed from the concerns and reality of working class lives, of the concerns of most.

It has become about the activist, the proles are so passé.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

You'll soon get the usual suspects harping on about how shameful this thread is as it's just an outlet for some to revel in their supposed "Islamophobia".

That yet again this attack was committed by one known to the police is yet another horrid reminder that governments throughout Europe are far too complacent about how they treat these watch lists.

RIP to the victims and may the attacker soon be put down.

I lived in France until recently and had been talking to a few people I know there about this. Like you I thought it was crazy that another watch list person was able to commit an attack and questioned how they handle the list.

The people I talked to regarding the list said the people are always said to be on their watch list as the list is so massive. It's not only terrorist, but radical politicians and major criminals. Now obviously opinion varies person to person but found this odd.

What they were questioning was how he got into the market armed. I don't know the exact details but one person from the area told me it's closed off to all vehicles and heavily guarded by armed police/army with pat down searches at the entry points. So for him to be able to commit what he did and get away was something they were questioning. No doubt there is or will be a full explaination of what happened, have to say I haven't looked into articles much just general discussion.

I think this one is even more frustrating considering the failed arrest attempt beforehand. Terrorist attacks are a threat now all over Europe but I must say France seems to be one of the most common for this. Not sure exactly how they handle the threats and exactly how they can improve on it but no doubt they are looking into it.

Omackeral wrote: »
    We know Anders Brevik by name because he isn't the norm when it comes to this type of atrocity. How many of the Islamist killers that caused havoc through Europe do any of us know by name? Brevik is pretty much the exception to the rule on this, from a fundamental point of view.

I know Breiviks name because it was on the news for months. No other reason.

What about that guy who shot a bunch of people at the mosque?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I know Breiviks name because it was on the news for months. No other reason.

What about that guy who shot a bunch of people at the mosque?

Breivik actually forecast that this would happen, instead of targetting those he perceived as his enemy he instead killed dozens of schoolkids on an island in Norway. He murdered 77 people which gave him the fame and notoriety. It's scary to think that because of Norway's liberal justice system he will be released in a little over 10 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Why would you completely discount something like the existence of lots of racist bands as good evidence of racism existing in that society? Is there a logic to the type of evidence you will count?

I discount it as evidence that there is a major problem of racism, which is what you said. I never said there was no racism. Be more careful with your wording.
    You keep making stupid statements like “Most victims of knife crime in London are not some innocent people going about their business” without taking into account that most “innocent people” who have “business” have enough money to stay away from ****hole areas like Brixton, while the “innocent people” who stay in places like that quite often can’t get jobs and end up in a downward spiral of having to defend themselves against these idiots with knives, so they carry knives themselves, etc.

Carrying a knife* is a criminal offence in Britain, so yes they are not innocent people if carrying one by definition. The best way to defend yourself from a knife attack is to run away, carrying one yourself will do very little to help you as you'll either get stabbed or stab someone else resulting in a more serious crime being committed.
    Stabbing one person isn’t a spree. Wow. How many is a spree then? Does it have to be all in the same week, or is it OK to spread out the stabbings over a year?

A spree indicates multiple victims i.e. more than one over a short period of time. Very easy to understand actually.
    A little bit of thought and you would easily realize that the reason the people who go on sprees, go on sprees, is because they know they’ll be caught and stopped. The same type of people exist in Brixton who know they won’t be caught and won’t be stopped, so they don’t need to go on sprees, they just stab whoever they like for looking at them wrong

So it's nothing to do with racism then, they just do it because they won't get caught is it? You are just making stuff up now.. How often do people go on stabbing sprees in Brixton and not get caught, now that you actually know it's definition?

*unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long or less

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Always previously known to police the victims' families should be taken legal action against these looney leftwing governments.:(
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Here's what really get's me about this whole thing.

So, so often in the cases of these shootings the culprit is known to the police. Far too often they don't make a move on the person as they're hoping to get the ringleaders or higher up members of these terrorist organisations.

These killings could have been stopped had the authorities taken action sooner and locked this guy up.

It's also very wrong to say "send him back where he came from", because extremely often we find out the person happens to be born and raised in the area and is not a migrant. They are often the children of happily settled migrants who have never, and would never, commit these kinds of atrocities.

I have no issue with migrants or refugees who come here to work, but honestly I say string up the terrorists and to hell with their rights.

Do you realise just how many extremists are on their watch lists.

And do you realise how many attacks they have prevented.
    They tried to catch him and it was obvious from what was left at his flat that he had something much bigger planned.
    They do have questions to answer as to whether he escaped through bad operation of pot luck.

I think to stop a lot of the spread of fundamentalism they need to stop the funding by the Gulf and Arabian states.
    Oh and segregation in prisons.

Staunch islamic teaching and religion is incompatible with secular western democracies.
    The sooner everyone cops on to this the better for all of us.

Ah yes the stock go to counter response answer of Anders Brevik.

Much like the go to of fundamentalist christians in Uganda and the Westboro baptist church. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Were there many German extremists around Ireland after 1945 after they were interned during the war?? Many Japanese extremists in the US after internment after Pearl Harbour?

Historians generally view the period of internment as inflaming sectarian tensions in Northern Ireland, while failing in its goal of arresting key members of the IRA. Many of the people arrested had no links whatsoever with the IRA, but their names appeared on the list of those to be arrested through bungling and incompetence. The list's lack of reliability and the arrests that followed, complemented by reports of internees being abused far in excess of the usual state violence,[7] led to more nationalists identifying with the IRA and losing hope in non-violent methods. After Operation Demetrius, recruits came forward in huge numbers to join the Provisional and Official wings of the IRA.[19] Internment also led to a sharp increase in violence. In the eight months before the operation, there were 34 conflict-related deaths in Northern Ireland. In the four months following it, 140 were killed.[19] A serving officer of the British Royal Marines declared:

It (internment) has, in fact, increased terrorist activity, perhaps boosted IRA recruitment, polarised further the Catholic and Protestant communities and reduced the ranks of the much needed Catholic moderates.[21]

In terms of loss of life, 1972 was the most violent year of the Troubles. The fatal march on Bloody Sunday (30 January 1972) in Derry, when 14 unarmed civil rights protesters were shot dead by British paratroopers, was an anti-internment march.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What about the terrorists/ISIS etc, surely we should be minding them? What ever about your personal issues with Islam. How do you feel about Seventh day Adventists, a menace?

Advertisement