Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AXA Raheny 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

joey100 wrote: »
    First time doing this race, an have a few questions. Got my number in the post, this means I just turn up at the start line and don't have to go to the registration beforehand? Just wondering about the famous goodie bag, this given out before the race (at registration?) or when you finish? Thanks, Joe

if you have your number already you don't need to go to registration.

The goodie bag is given out at the end of the race. After you finish you'll be directed down a lane to your left, and the bags are given out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

perfect, cheers Raycun, used to just getting everything the morning of a race so was curious how they worked it. Handy posting out the numbers beforehand like that, saves a bit of hassle and planning on the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

colin32 wrote: »
    I was just looking on the phone app. It uses accu weather

It just adds to the fun

No matter what the weather - there'll still be a hurricane blowing as you turn for the out and back portion in St Annes Park. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

I received my race number by post this morning. Really looking forward to the race. I have a vague recollection of choosing a size for a t shirt when I signed up but I didn't receive it by post. Is there a t shirt with this race or am I losing my mind ?

No t-shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Where about is recommended to park? I hope to be there early, public transport not a option.

There is no single location to park, people park on side roads everywhere within a mile radius.

Over 4000 entries so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Where about is recommended to park? I hope to be there early, public transport not a option.

I got there 1 hour early last year and found it difficult to get parking - the church carpark fills up pretty quick. I went about 1/2 - 3/4 mile away, parked up easily enough and used it as part of my warmup.

Can anyone tell me about the route the race will take? Is there many hills, loops ?

Does anyone know if they have pacers?

Can anyone tell me about the route the race will take? Is there many hills, loops ?

this was the route last year, there might be some slight changes but it's basically the same. Fairly flat throughout.

No pacers.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    this was the route last year, there might be some slight changes but it's basically the same. Fairly flat throughout.

No pacers.

Shame about the pacers. I have a particular time in mind but I am hopeless at pacing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

colin32 wrote: »
    I received my race number as well, but the same as you my son didn't get his yet. It says in the email that will be sent out week before

Last year had to collect from the AXA insurance shop in raheny on the Saturday,. So guess wait and see

You can collect his number in cara hall from 12:30 on Sunday or in the clubhouse on Saturday from 10am-4pm .

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=3306

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I got there 1 hour early last year and found it difficult to get parking - the church carpark fills up pretty quick. I went about 1/2 - 3/4 mile away, parked up easily enough and used it as part of my warmup.

Some parking advice etc here (but those who can, take public transport!)

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=3306

Kids' race details here:

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=3304

Here's the route:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs7tSLsn5We/

No hills. TINY drag as you come from St Anne's estate out onto Howth Rd, tiny drag as you go past the dog park coming out of St Anne's park in the last mile. Otherwise flat.

The first mile is a loop around St Anne's housing estate, and there's an up and down the avenuue in the park, otherwise no loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭28064212

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Here's the route:
    How is the section in the park shorter than last year (see RayCun's link), but there doesn't seem to be any extra added anywhere else?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    How is the section in the park shorter than last year (see RayCun's link), but there doesn't seem to be any extra added anywhere else?

Hi! Sorry - I don't know. TBH I'm very poor at reading maps.

Here's a nice description (in words) of the route from Dave Hooper:

2019 AXA Raheny 5 Course Map
    Posted By Dave Hooper on 20/01/2019

The race will start as normal on All Saints Park and takes its usual left hand turn down All Saints Saint Road and onto Watermill road.

The race will then turn left onto All Saints Drive at the junction between Scoil Ide and Raheny Garda Station, the race than progresses past the start finish area turning left onto Wades Avenue (One Mile Marker).

The race moves down Wades avenue and right up along All Saints Road, then moving onto the Howth Road for a short stretch then moving left onto Vernon avenue, past the two mile marker and then turning left onto Mount Prospect avenue.

Runners then continue down Mount Prospect avenue past the three mile marker before moving into St. Anne’s Park, with a back loop in the main avenue of St. Anne’s Park.

The race then moves throw St. Anne’s Park before turning left onto All Saints Road into the final 400 metres moving right onto Wades Avenue and then finishing as normal on All Saints Park.

A map of the new race course is available below. Any questions or queries to info @ rahenyshamrock.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

28064212 wrote: »

I doubt if that map is to scale. The St. Anne's 180 turn is probably a bit further up the Avenue in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That’s one fast route going on the description above, hopefully the weather plays ball for ye all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Since parking may be problematic, what would be the best DART station to drive to and take DART from there? Kilbarack, Clontarf Rd, ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Since parking may be problematic, what would be the best DART station to drive to and take DART from there? Kilbarack, Clontarf Rd, ...?

Clontarf Rd would offer the most parking spots, but having worked in the local constabulary there it was an area prone to car thefts. I would park up on street at Killester and get Dart from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi All. Is it still possible to sign up. Previous years you could sign up in Axa office in Raheny. If so dors anybody havd the day/times? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi All. Is it still possible to sign up. Previous years you could sign up in Axa office in Raheny. If so dors anybody havd the day/times? Thank you

Open til 10pm tonight online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Heading over now. Looking forward to it!!! Seems to be very windy tho!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

It's a bit breezy out thus way this morning. Hopefully it dies down later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The goody bag is back to its chocolately best anyway, no healthy seeds or dust like last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic race as always. Loved every minute. Even the pain.

The support is fantastic. Kept hearing people roar my name for the first mile. It's written on my bib. Couldn't get over it, must have heard it roared 10 or 12 times.

Copped then that I was running just behind a Raheny lad called Conor.

Good race as always, goody bag back to its best

Only gripe is if they want to continue to get record numbers, they need to put up approx finishing times up at start, so people can get in right areas.

Also kids races. I think they might have to look at that next year. 1 poor lad in 5-7 age group got trampled on by 3-4 lads, as to congested

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Lazare wrote: »
    Fantastic race as always. Loved every minute. Even the pain.

The support is fantastic. Kept hearing people roar my name for the first mile. It's written on my bib. Couldn't get over it, must have heard it roared 10 or 12 times.

Copped then that I was running just behind a Raheny lad called Conor.
    Haha I think we must have been near each other as the exact same happened to me - must have been a bizarre congregation of Conors running together!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super race, conditions were fine. Didn't meet anyone who had a bad run after.
    Only issue is people starting in the wrong place and shortly after the start there was a car trying to come up and the Guards had to have everyone stay left in one lane.
    Lots of short cuts taken by a few as well.

Overall great race

• Advertisement

Wottle wrote: »
    Super race, conditions were fine. Didn't meet anyone who had a bad run after.
    Only issue is people starting in the wrong place and shortly after the start there was a car trying to come up and the Guards had to have everyone stay left in one lane.
    Lots of short cuts taken by a few as well.

Overall great race

yeah that was a very tight squeeze between the cars. Which idiot let the car get that far up the road to start with

Only way to solve some of the people starting in wrong place is have starting points. 20-30 minutes, 30-40 minutes and so on

Still won't solve all the issues but might help

Advertisement