Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AXA Raheny 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I'd rather do without a t-shirt for completing a race. Only one I've worn regular is the Dublin marathon one from last year. All others go in the bin

A medal is always nice to get for completing the race. As it's a challenge for most people to complete, so good to have something to show for it

As for the goody bag from raheny. I'd rather have that, than some of the junk at other events. A bag with water, and some flakes in, is no good to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

pconn062 wrote: »
    I mean, who needs a plastic bag full of sugary crap for running 5 mile?! It's madness. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I must be getting old. :)

If only we had 4 thousand of you, we could save ourselves an entire Saturday of work and a bunch of money in the process too. :D

Pal of mine in work runs with Lusk. And he was explaining to me the big debate they were having over a t-shirt or medal for their bag. Turns out they are doing both!! For a 4 miler? I said he was mad. That it was overkill. One or the other would be totally fine. He agrees. And like mentioned earlier, it's a cost to a club. When the whole idea is to generate a bit of money for the club etc.

Personally. I would always prefer chip timing and a small bottle of water at finish and a reduced entry fee.

The Raheny bag is a monster. Wonder how much of the field we'd lose if we cut it out? I'll lobby for the wave start for y'all :D
    1 barrier.. sub 30.. everyone else get behind it haha..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why do people expect or want a bag filled with unhealthy crap after taking part in such a short run?

Really don't get it.

Worse than kids.

If loving the Raheny post-race bag full of chocolate is wrong, I never want to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yip, all you get here in Holland is a banana & bottle of water at the finish line. If you want a tshirt you pay €20 for the pleasure that’s if the race provides one, goodie bags are nonexistent, no frills at all and doesn’t affect race entries or numbers running.

And how much do races cost to enter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

pc11 wrote: »
    And how much do races cost to enter?

On average €8 for accurate club run race with chip timing. There are monthly run races 5/10/15/20km by clubs on accurate routes with hand timing for €2 with water & free shower at the end. Again like at home it’s what your after, there’s bigger events to cater for people if that’s what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yip, all you get here in Holland is a banana & bottle of water at the finish line. If you want a tshirt you pay €20 for the pleasure that’s if the race provides one, goodie bags are nonexistent, no frills at all and doesn’t affect race entries or numbers running.
    Looking forward to my banana after the Hague half already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Looking forward to my banana after the Hague half already :D

Ah ya might get a bottle of AA energy drink after to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I do enjoy getting a free tech top, it's a souvenir and I always wear them for training.

But I always feel a child getting a medal! They're stored away from sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I'm a bit late but just wanted to say thanks to all involved with the Raheny 5 mile. Myself and my son had a great day. Very nice course, too congested at the back but didn't take away from the atmosphere. I'll write up a proper race report in my log soon as I get a second.

I'll be back next year for sure. You won me over with the post race fig rolls alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Am surprised there hasn't been a thread on this race but perhaps after all the years there's not much else left to say?

A nice unhilly 5 mile race. It and the Sportsworld 5 mile classic have both resisted the trend to metricize to a 10k distance, and both have 30+ years on the clock.

I really appreciate Raheny as a club-run event, with a friendly atmosphere. A bit congested at the start, as there's a 90 degree bend within 200 metres of the starting line, but otherwise it's a nice mix of asphalt, tarmac and park surfaces. Over the years it's lost some of the road and ended up with more of the route in St Anne's Park but that's not an occasion for tears. (When it used to go along the coast there'd be tears: a stinging January breeze howling in over Bull Island, and always something of a shock after being sheltered by trees and buildings for the first 3 miles of the course).

Alas the famous post-race goodie bag is probably going to get banned for putting athletes in a different weight category or heart rate zone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Registered for this as part of 5 alive, I’ll be one of those god-awful slowpokes, will do my best not to clog the way for anyone :D I’m half excited/half nervous for this but will give it a bash anyway.

See you all Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4,357 entries up to Wednesday according to this site....
    https://www.myrunresults.com/events/36th_axa_raheny_5_mile/3461/results

Can't wait for it, haven't run the newer route before, is there much of a difference?
    Are there any climbs similar to Watermill Rd within the park?

Registered for this as part of 5 alive, I’ll be one of those god-awful slowpokes, will do my best not to clog the way for anyone :D I’m half excited/half nervous for this but will give it a bash anyway.

See you all Sunday!

Well done for giving it a bash and I hope you have a great run and enjoy it. It is a bit kill or be killed at the front so do try and place yourself further back. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Can't wait for it, haven't run the newer route before, is there much of a difference?
    Are there any climbs similar to Watermill Rd within the park?

If you have run the old route the new one is not to much different, with a few less meters of elevation loss / gain, as you no longer descend down to the coast road and then back up watermill.

Probably the hardest part is the drag up the avenue, as it goes on longer than expected. Also you have the faster runners on you right and the fatigue is probably making its self known.

Anyway, still my favorite race on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I haven't received my bib via post. Im aware there are big numbers for this but would this be common enough for this race?

I haven't received my bib via post. Im aware there are big numbers for this but would this be common enough for this race?
    Hi, if it hasn't arrived by now then follow up with them. Perhaps just double check the list which is available from the link in the previous post: each athlete is recorded as either having a race number posted to them or it being for collection. It's possible that you might have inadvertently ended up on the wrong list?

However, if you're on the list for 'posted' and it hasn't arrived then you'd need to get in contact with them, in order that they can have the issued number voided and a separate number to issue for collection on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Hi, if it hasn't arrived by now then follow up with them. Perhaps just double check the list which is available from the link in the previous post: each athlete is recorded as either having a race number posted to them or it being for collection. It's possible that you might have inadvertently ended up on the wrong list?

However, if you're on the list for 'posted' and it hasn't arrived then you'd need to get in contact with them, in order that they can have the issued number voided and a separate number to issue for collection on the day.

Thanks. Yeh I'm on list as posted so have mailed them now. Just hassle I could do without as was going to be cutting it fine enough as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I just wanted to wish all Boardsies doing this the best of luck tomorrow. It looks like it will be a perfect racing day.

Apologies for this shortcut but I don't have OOnegatives patience for finding everyone's training logs and copying and pasting well wishes sending personalised good luck messages. :pac:

Run well folks. Hopefully I'll get to see as many of ye as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    I just wanted to wish all Boardsies doing this the best of luck tomorrow. It looks like it will be a perfect racing day.

Me too............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Is it still possible to register and collect race number on race day? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

whodafunk wrote: »
    Is it still possible to register and collect race number on race day? Thanks

You can collect your number tomorrow in Scoil Aine school hall, from 11-2.30. I think online registration is open until 11pm tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Home / AXA Raheny 5 / 2020 AXA Raheny 5 Race Instructions
    2020 AXA Raheny 5 Race Instructions

Posted By Dave Hooper on 25/01/2020

AXA Insurance and Raheny Shamrock Athletic Club are very happy to welcome you to the 36th AXA Raheny 5 Mile Road Race.

It is our pleasure to welcome you again to Raheny for what we hope will be another truly memorable day.

We are expecting another record breaking crowd and we ask you to please help us by following these instructions before and during race day.

Entries

Online Entries close at 11pm on Saturday January 25th.

You can also enter in person today Saturday January 25th in Raheny Shamrock Athletic Club clubhouse opposite Raheny Church between 10am and 4pm.

Number Collection

If you have selected to collect your race number, there are two options available;

On Saturday you can collect your numbers from the Raheny Shamrock Athletic Club clubhouse opposite Raheny Church between 10am and 4pm.

Registration for the four Juvenile races will also be accepted on Saturday. Entry fee is €5.

On Race Day

You can collect numbers for the AXA Raheny 5 in the race HQ, Raheny National School between 11am and 2pm on race day.

Getting to Raheny

We highly recommend the use of public transport with Raheny served by;

Dublin Bus routes 29A, 31, 31A, 31B, 31D and 32.

On the Dart, Raheny is located Northbound on the Howth/Malahide line from Dublin City Centre.

The station is located 400 meters from the race HQ. Sign posts will direct you from Raheny Dart station to the race HQ.

There is limited parking available in Raheny Chruch and St. Anne’s Tennis Club with limited public parking also available in Raheny Village.

Race Facilities

The Race HQ is Scoil Aine, On Google maps – https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Nai-Scoil+Ide+-+Raheny/@53.3766666,-6.1933151,15z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sraheny+national+school!3m4!1s0x0:0xda993ff30e930a20!8m2!3d53.3783046!4d-6.1772507

A Bag Drop is available at Rahey GAA Club – Astro turf pitches – google maps – https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B022’36.1%22N+6%C2%B010’45.2%22W/@53.3767746,-6.1767877,17.04z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.376684!4d-6.17923

There are restroom facilities both permanent and portaloo’s at Raheny national school.

There are also restroom facilities available in Raheny United clubhouse.

Portaloo’s will also be available at the start/finish area.

Juvenile Races

There are four juvenile races on the day, which are listed below. Entries for these races are taken in the CARA Hall, located beside the race start.

Entry fee is €5 and entries open on Sunday at 11am

1:50pm – Girls 5 – 7 years old – 400 Metres

2pm – Boys 5 – 7 years old – 400 Metres

2:15pm – Boys & Girls 8 – 12 years old – 800 Metres

2:30pm – Boys & Girls 13 – 16 years old – 1 Mile

All Participants receive a medal and goody bag with prizes for the top three in each race

RACE Time

Please follow the instructions of the stewards and Gardai at all time. There are seven races on the card which are;

1:30pm – Girls 5 – 7 years old – 400 Metres

1:40pm – Boys 5 – 7 years old – 400 Metres

1:50pm – Girls 8 – 12 years old – 800 Metres

2pm – Boys 8 – 12 years old – 800 Metres

2:15pm – Boys & Girls 13 – 16 years old – 1 Mile

2:55pm – AXA Raheny 5 Wheelchair race

3pm – 2019 AXA Raheny 5 & Walkers START

After you have completed the race please follow the steward’s instructions, slowly and carefully moving through the finish area where you will collect your good bag.

The AXA Raheny 5 plaque will be included in your goody bag.

Race Refreshments

After the race tea’s, coffees and some light refreshments will be served in Raheny GAA Club.

Prize Presentation

The Prize Presentation will take place approximately 4.30pm in the race HQ at Raheny National School

Also remember there are spot prizes for Men and Women so do remember to you check your number in the National School Hall.

If you are a supporter, there are a number of spectator spots on the course where you will be able to see the race past.

Also remember that NEAR FM will broadcast the race in full with their broadcast from the AXA Raheny 5 beginning at 2.30pm.

NEAR FM is available at 90.3fm in Raheny and North East Dublin or via the Tune In radio app and www.near.ie.

Enjoy the Day

Yours in Sport

Pat Hooper

Race Director

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Is it the same route as previous years?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I did it! Slow as a snail but I did it :D was really anxious about it but I ran the whole way and enjoyed it too. Great day, I’m on a high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Brilliant event as always by Raheny. Long trip was well worth it.
    Hoped for under 45 but somehow managed to dip under 40 after sticking with the trademark mental start in this race.
    Reminds me of the pamplona running of the bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Great day, great race as usual. I was a bit late and ended right at the back so it was never going to be a quick time. Around in just over 41 and will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great race as always. I think it's one of the best races in the country. Quality field running today

Incredible to see the top 10 under 23:30 and the top 5 under 22:45.

Fionnuala broke 26 mins yet still finished just outside the top 50. Incredible quality field.

I love the whole Pamplona bull run at the start but I wish they'd let the walkers off early, as they usually do, as unfortunately there were a few clusters in the middle of the runners. (They'd no real basis to guide themselves as to where they should be relative to other runners, and no athlete is going to turn around and say 'are you sure you're a 35:00 pace ma'am, sir?' It would have been preferable if that had been taken out of their hands via a different start time).

Overall really enjoyable. I'd like to see if they could add a little more of the park as part of the route, rather than the up/down the avenue. However, overall it's a nice mix of road and park running. (Given the traffic pressures it's possible that by the time the 50th event comes around it'll no longer be on the roads at all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Had to mention the amount of Nike Next % and 4% on show was impressive, even where i was situated 8 rows back from the front line.

Felt a bit "Old Man" in my Pegasus 34's. :mad:

Advertisement