Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AXA Raheny 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Well done to Raheny for organising a great race.

I've ran this 14 times over the best part of two decades. In the days before chip timing there was even more of an anxious stampede to the first 90 degree bend at the starting mile.

However, at today's race that stranded car was just so dangerous but there's nothing the Gardaí could do other than channel people through the chokepoint.

There's a strong case to be made for a wave start, not ideal for a race distance as short as a 5 mile - it barely works well for 10k races - but the chip times self-evidently show people starting 90-180 seconds from where they should be. It somewhat spoils the first mile for a lot of other people with all the weaving necessary.

Given that the road works on the coast have permanently deprived the race of the sea breeze/gale and the climb back up Watermill Road it's now necessary for variations on a mile of race taking place in St Anne's Park. I think there's a case to send it in a loop within the park, e.g. down past the Red Stables, under the arch of the Annie Lee princess-castle-style memorial, onwards onto the path within the perimeter of the park, and back out of the park at the exit point used today. (There's a 10 mile race contained entirely within St Anne's, so there should be some way of finding a 1 to 1 1/2 mile route that doesn't inconvenience little old ladies with dogs on leads etc whilst still avoiding the long up/down the avenue).

It was welcome to see the 73rd Dublin out on stewarding, and plenty of Gardaí on the public roads. Great to see the cat-litter/sawdust stuff being ditched from the goodie bag and proper goodies being included.

It's a friendly place, an enjoyable race, organised by a great club, but it might need wave starts or a restriction on the entrant numbers, as there's a lot of weaving needed for the first mile.

I might be alone in this but I really love the up and back hairpin. It's such a great distraction I find, watching other runners, looking out for people etc.

Plus, your form improves greatly when other people are watching :P

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Anyone calling that sham a great race is deluded, its become a joke with the numbers and no efforts to manage the start. Finished warm up with 20 mins to go and still couldn't get anywhere near a decent position and crossed the start at 3:30. Lost about 2 minutes dodging and weaving around walkers, run huns and club runner walls.

I get that everyone is entitled to run their race and not blaming the entrants, but you cant just keep adding numbers without managing the start. Shame on Raheny Shamrocks for ruining the experience for me and many others I'm sure. They've clearly gone for quantity over quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Lazare wrote: »
    I might be alone in this but I really love the up and back hairpin. It's such a great distraction I find, watching other runners, looking out for people etc.

While I get where the close proximately of runners keeps your momentum going - I found I was nearly crossed eyed scanning the crowd for faces. I was looking for my son's face when I was on the out but no sign of him, he was well ahead!

My second time running this race. I actually enjoy the course - it makes a change for me to be running by people's homes in Dublin - the support along the route is fab. Same can't be said for motorists trying to drive against the flow of runners at a number of places along the course. I seen a woman bang her hands on the bonnet of a jeep that was driving against the flow of runners in what looked like frustration rather than self defence.

I can only echo other posters about the start line,. We joined it at quarter to the hour and we were well back, which suited me fine but not another one in my gang. There was every ability or runner around us. It wouldn't take much to sort out the start area. All organisers need are some large placards with estimated finish times and people will self select where they will start. You'll still have the odd person 50+mins starting in the sub 30 area but by and large people can and will organise themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

healy1835 wrote: »
    The car at the start didn't help things alright, also slightly after that two runners had a big enough fall, looked nasty enough. Hope they were ok.....

Yeah that was nasty. I helped the girl to her feet and she hobbled over to the curb. Don't think she continued. Was a bad fall going full tilt. Think she was in a Brothers Pearse singlet? Other chap involved in the fall seemed to be ok and continued.

• Advertisement

eoinín wrote: »
    I've put up some photos here, with LOADS more to follow over the next few evenings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157706236620024

Savage work as always Eoin. Your hands must have some serious cramp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Alicano wrote: »
    Yeah that was nasty. I helped the girl to her feet and she hobbled over to the curb. Don't think she continued. Was a bad fall going full tilt. Think she was in a Brothers Pearse singlet? Other chap involved in the fall seemed to be ok and continued.

He was Brothers Pearse, not her

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

First time doing it and enjoyed the race for the most part. First mile was a sh1t show, lost about 40 secs and I wasn't too far from the front. Once it opened up and we got past all the parked cars it was very nice.

I have to day I think the goodie bag is a tad overrated. Left over selection boxes and reindeer smarties? There wasn't even a normal bottle of water in mine - just a protein shake and some sparkling strawberry rubbish.

Also to add - that goodie bag was savage! Serious stash in it. We'd only just finished off the Christmas sweets and now we have 3 Raheny goodie bags to contend with! But I'm sure we'll manage... The 3 of us in the house ran btw - I wasn't greedy and grabbed 3 bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Saw volunteers call people out several times on 'One goodie bag per runner'.

One guy was trying to take 3!

Some people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just my own 10 cents on this race. I'm a member of Raheny just to point out ;)
    I volunteered over the Sat and Sunday and also ran the race (first time in 5 years so I hadn't experienced the new route).

I would accept it's now a victim of it's own success.
    Prepping all the gear for goody bag on the Sat I commented to one of our main organisers that it was insane. The amount of stuff is just ridiculous. He told me of the backlash from a recent year when the bag was a 'bit light'. That everyone now expects a huge bag. And it was. The weight of it!. In most races it's a small water bottle, banana, maybe one bold item and a few leaflets. I felt we had way too much stuff in the bags. It's a kids paradise! But as you all know yourselves. A large bag is expected and people complain if it's not loaded.

To the previous poster saying 'shame on Raheny' and it's a shambles. You need to get over yourself a little. I agree on start needing some attention now as it's gotten so big. But your attitude does sniff of elitism with language like 'run huns' etc. I've been racing about 10 years. I'm aware of how tricky they are to organise. I always expect some sort of logistic issue. Sometimes it's traffic/parking. Sometimes it's toilets. Sometimes poor signage etc etc. But I always run my race and find the positives. You are in charge of your own experience.

I did ask yesterday if entries will be capped in future. And myself and others will all feedback over the weeks and months.
    Waved starts sounds tricky for such a short distance. But I can guarantee you that our main organisers are so dedicated to the sport and event, and they will de brief and make whatever changes they feel are required. Yes, I am biased. But I feel it's one of the best organised and value for money races in the country.

I prefer the old route along the coast road and up watermill. But the new road layout has killed that off for life.

Big thank you to all the volunteers on race day especially. It was very cold to stand in. And it's a long day ( I was still there at 5pm with many clubmates breaking down the course).

I managed to bag a PB. So that beats any plaque or bag of chocolate for me :)

RayCun wrote: »
    He was Brothers Pearse, not her

Cheers Ray. It all happened in a flash. Good thing there's not a police line up or I'd be pointing out the wrong guy haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think the small, crowded roads around the start/finish area add to the atmosphere. Everyone is funneled together, there's runners everywhere you look.

The goody bag is massive alright - it could be scaled back a bit, but it would have to be gradually :pac: On the other hand, although there is loads of tea and biscuits in the hall as always, the space is just too small and the entrance too narrow. It was okay yesterday just getting tea and standing outside but wouldn't have been great if there had been rain.

The prizegiving is always poorly attended, which is a pity. Maybe have the spot prizes raffled just before the prizes, and you have to be in the hall to get a spot prize? And the race prizes a bit earlier if possible?

The corners turning on to and off Watermill road could be taped, there was a fair amount of corner cutting there, and the turn on to Wade's Avenue coming to the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Pink11 wrote: »
    Really? I didn't notice. I don't know the course too well but how did people cheat? Where were the short cuts?

Just people cutting up onto the path - there are a few places, like when you first come out of the estate onto Watermill Road before turning back in that people jump up on the path - you can cut a good few metres off that way. Similarly, at the right turn when we're heading up towards the Howth Road, a lot of people cut that corner by running diagonally across the path.

Most of the time people don't mean it, they're just trying to avoid congestion etc. When you see race rivals getting ahead of you by doing that, it's very tempting to folow them, but I just keep saying to myself 'It's a ROAD race; stay on the road!' *halo emoji*

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It's the problem with a successful event. The big issue is people who will take 45-60 minutes starting at/near the front. That's where the congestion comes from. It happens at nearly every event. It's pure selfish. Corrals of 30-35, 35-45, 45-55 and people being cooperative removes 75% of the issues.

The first lap was a good idea to spread the field out before we went into that closed off bus lane.

Overall it was a good event. Room to improve but far better then Run In The Dark for example which is just a shambles.

Walkers need to go an hour before the main event and the wheelchair/pushcart need to go about 20 minutes ahead.

I'm not speaking officially for the club (because I don't know the official thinking behind it), but I think one problem with starting the walkers more than half an hour before is that the kids' races have to be finished before the walkers (so the course is clear). As a Raheny member, my role is usually helping with the kids' races, so I see what a big part of the day they are for young athletes and families. Because the kids' races are so popular now, we now have five of them before the main event, and we were there taking sign up from before 11am. I think if you pushed the start time of the first kids' race back half an hour, that would be a very early start and a long day for families who have parents and kids running.

I'm not saying it's insurmountable, I'm just saying that moving the start time of the walk earlier would have knock-on effects. Maybe it would be better to start the walkers at 3.15 or something?

Also, re the 3pm start time, I know it's late in the day (personally, I prefer morning races, less time to worry beforehand and not as much wondering when to eat :)), but I've always understood that was to facilitate runners coming from all around the country. I know there were 30+ runners from Boyle, Co. Roscommon yesterday - a morning start time would be less convenient for runners like them.

Thanks so, so much to all who volunteered and cheered and supported, and to all who ran. You all made it a great day *Shamrock emoji*

eoinín wrote: »
    I've put up some photos here, with LOADS more to follow over the next few evenings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157706236620024

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this, Eoin (I can vouch for the fact that this is his full-time evening job for the next few evenings AND he was at it for about 6 hours yesterday after getting home from the race!)

Lazare wrote: »

I love that too! I actually look forward to that section. I love the out and back, looking at the leaders, in the women's mini marathon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

HelenAnne wrote: »

Also, re the 3pm start time, I know it's late in the day (personally, I prefer morning races, less time to worry beforehand and not as much wondering when to eat :)), but I've always understood that was to facilitate runners coming from all around the country. I know there were 30+ runners from Boyle, Co. Roscommon yesterday - a morning start time would be less convenient for runners like them.

Ha - I always assumed this was traditionally for the uniquely Irish reason of not wanting to interfere with mass on a Sunday morning!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ha - I always assumed this was traditionally for the uniquely Irish reason of not wanting to interfere with mass on a Sunday morning!

Oh, maybe it is? It did used to come out onto the main road near the churches, so maybe it was a traffic thing? But in any case, kids from the West etc probably couldn't get to Dublin for a 9.30 am race, so maybe my theory is good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Oh, maybe it is? It did used to come out onto the main road near the churches, so maybe it was a traffic thing? But in any case, kids from the West etc probably couldn't get to Dublin for a 9.30 am race, so maybe my theory is good too :)

Oh, I think your theory is correct and mine is hocus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

The 3pm was perfect for me coming from the northwest. I prefer late noon/evening races even if its a local race for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Alicano wrote: »
    Just my own 10 cents on this race. I'm a member of Raheny just to point out ;)
    I volunteered over the Sat and Sunday and also ran the race (first time in 5 years so I hadn't experienced the new route).

I would accept it's now a victim of it's own success.
    Prepping all the gear for goody bag on the Sat I commented to one of our main organisers that it was insane. The amount of stuff is just ridiculous. He told me of the backlash from a recent year when the bag was a 'bit light'. That everyone now expects a huge bag. And it was. The weight of it!. In most races it's a small water bottle, banana, maybe one bold item and a few leaflets. I felt we had way too much stuff in the bags. It's a kids paradise! But as you all know yourselves. A large bag is expected and people complain if it's not loaded.

To the previous poster saying 'shame on Raheny' and it's a shambles. You need to get over yourself a little. I agree on start needing some attention now as it's gotten so big. But your attitude does sniff of elitism with language like 'run huns' etc. I've been racing about 10 years. I'm aware of how tricky they are to organise. I always expect some sort of logistic issue. Sometimes it's traffic/parking. Sometimes it's toilets. Sometimes poor signage etc etc. But I always run my race and find the positives. You are in charge of your own experience.

I did ask yesterday if entries will be capped in future. And myself and others will all feedback over the weeks and months.

Waved starts sounds tricky for such a short distance. But I can guarantee you that our main organisers are so dedicated to the sport and event, and they will de brief and make whatever changes they feel are required. Yes, I am biased. But I feel it's one of the best organised and value for money races in the country.

The way the start is laid out, doing a lap makes a wave start more feasible IMO. Waves only need to be 2-3 minutes apart. Another alternative would be to narrow up the start straight to half the width so you dont have the entire width of the street taken up heading towards roads with parked cars on them

It was my first time to do this event and it was really enjoyable. Unless your in the Phoenix Park or an event has the entire roads closed there will always be some degree of an issue. Some people go to these events expecting DCM level of organisation which is totally unrealistic

I did RITD twice. And won't do it again. The organisers have no interest in constructive criticism feedback even though They run an incredibly dangerous event.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I did RITD twice. And won't do it again. The organisers have no interest in constructive criticism feedback even though They run an incredibly dangerous event.

DITTO, biggest money grab ever! Pity as I really liked the idea of a city centre mid week run.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why do people expect or want a bag filled with unhealthy crap after taking part in such a short run?

Really don't get it.

Worse than kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why do people expect or want a bag filled with unhealthy crap after taking part in such a short run?

Really don't get it.

Worse than kids.
    I don't get the the expectation of a medal, t shirt, goodies bag, etc. :pac:

I don't get the the expectation of a medal, t shirt, goodies bag, etc. :pac:

I really don't like t-shirts. In all my years and all the races. I probably would run (if stuck for a clean top) in one or two of them. The rest are either binned or used for when doing DIY etc.. Awful things. Like a billboard with all the ads on them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Really don't get it.

Worse than kids.

Because the demographics of running have changed. Everyone now expects "something" at a race, a t-shirt, mug, bag full of cheap tat. The race and competition itself is not enough anymore. It's a sad state of affairs and it's why I largely stick to track and cross country. Although saying that, we are organising a cross country race in our club and people are complaining about the fact that the special medals we have for the top 10 are not being given to everyone. :rolleyes: In a cross country race, for €10??!

Organising races has become difficult and results in organisers spending more time worring about what "goodie" they need to entice people to their race. And it creates large amounts of waste with cheap t-shirts and medals. I mean, who needs a plastic bag full of sugary crap for running 5 mile?! It's madness. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I must be getting old. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

pconn062 wrote: »
    Because the demographics of running have changed. Everyone now expects "something" at a race, a t-shirt, mug, bag full of cheap tat. The race and competition itself is not enough anymore. It's a sad state of affairs and it's why I largely stick to track and cross country. Although saying that, we are organising a cross country race in our club and people are complaining about the fact that the special medals we have for the top 10 are not being given to everyone. :rolleyes: In a cross country race, for €10??!

Organising races has become difficult and results in organisers spending more time worring about what "goodie" they need to entice people to their race. And it creates large amounts of waste with cheap t-shirts and medals. I mean, who needs a plastic bag full of sugary crap for running 5 mile?! It's madness. :rolleyes:

Yip, all you get here in Holland is a banana & bottle of water at the finish line. If you want a tshirt you pay €20 for the pleasure that’s if the race provides one, goodie bags are nonexistent, no frills at all and doesn’t affect race entries or numbers running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Why do people expect or want a bag filled with unhealthy crap after taking part in such a short run?.

For me, and I may not be alone in this, the 5M is a step-up in distance and represents a challenge. It is also the only, or one of two, paid-for events I take part in annually.

So the goodie bag is a draw and the 'unhealthy crap' is welcome and appreciated. As is my burgeoning set of participant plaques. The goodie bag has become a distinctive aspect of the Raheny 5M, and comments on this years versus previous years are interesting to me.

For what it's worth, I found a photo taken of my 2017 goodie bag contents and it was way more bountiful than this years. And I probably complained about that one too !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't get it either, I run the race 'cause it's a race and I want to challenge myself. Couldn't care less if there's a medal, a goodie bag, a plaque, a shirt or whatever - a lot of it ends up in the bin anyway. I'd prefer a t-shirt over anything else and will wear them for training if they're a nice fit, but I'd not be bothered either way. But I agree, the expectations are very high these days, esp given the generally low price of club races.

I think people sometimes probably don't realise the costs involved of adding extras to a race, like medals that (in my opinion) the majority of people will just bin. A medal multiplied by X thousand runners adds a huge cost to a race.

Advertisement