Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Yeah but do they not think the guard is going to be believed. And what people are saying on the video makes no sense without a dog. Chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They probably think they can use that video in court and no dog seen so case closed in their eyes. $$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Yeah but do they not think the guard is going to be believed. And what people are saying on the video makes no sense without a dog. Chancers.

As seamus said -
    seamus wrote: »
    You're not exactly dealing with Mastermind champions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Does it matter why he was on his own?

I think if he had proper support he would not have had to draw his weapon.
    If this family are so well known why would he be sent there with no one to help him. I think it matters a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Actually they probably will get compo unless every t is crossed and i dotted, any technical detail wrong here and they are in the money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Melodeon wrote: »
    Ah, but I was thinking of this:
    .375 Holland & Holland Magnum energy = 5,880 J (typical)

That is not a pistol round, it is designed for shooting large game (or dags).
    But I guess you knew that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tuxy wrote:
    They probably think they can use that video in court and no dog seen so case closed in their eyes. $$$$$$

An edited video will be deemed as inadmissible by a judge.

An edited video will be deemed as inadmissible by a judge.

Of course but I'm trying to think what the hamster running on the wheel in their head might come up with.

If this family are so well known why would he be sent there with no one to help him. I think it matters a lot.

Yeah, and if I had two flutes I'd never leave the house.

A call was made, he was sent. Him being in his own or not is irrelevant. The only people responsible for this are the criminals involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I asked why the guard was on his own, you said lack of resources but you cant really back up your claim, i would say you don't know and are making it up.

This is a stupid post.

You asked a specific question. A poster gave you a logical, well known and valid example of why the AGS member could have been on his own.

Its not called "making it up", its a deduction or an assessment which is arrived at by historical, logical or contextual information.

It appears you will not accept an answer unless it gives the breakdown of AGS members who were either in the station or in the vicinity, what their current tasking was and why they decided to let that particular AGS member arrive on scene.

Is seems likely that you want to believe the AGS member was helping out a "mate" outside of his capacity as an AGS member while retaining the ability to use a weapon.

Why do YOU think he was first on scene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One line may be that this Guard would be, well acquainted with whom he was dealing with, first name terms and felt he could sort out and defuse the situation,
    but it went sour.

I don't.

One of these occurred:

1. He fired a warning shot and either directly hit the traveller OR it ricocheted off the ground and inadvertently hit the traveller.

2. He aimed at the dog, hit the dog, the round travelled through the dog and into the travellers foot (if it was behind the dog).

3. He aimed at the dog, hit the dog, the round travelled through the dog, hit the ground and bounced and into the traveller.

Either way, I believe he aimed at the dog and the traveller was accidentally struck.

Or he panicked, pulled his weapon, fired an unaimed shot, hit a dog maybe, hit a human maybe or both. who knows, we seem only to have the video to make up our mind.

tuxy wrote:
    Of course but I'm trying to think what the hamster running on the wheel in their head might come up with.

The hamster is dead.....

Or he panicked, pulled his weapon, fired an unaimed shot, hit a dog maybe, hit a human maybe or both. who knows, we seem only to have the video to make up our mind.

We have the video and what was stated in the video.

There is no evidence to suggest he panicked...none at all.

He held his weapon firmly, to his right side and rear away from any potential disarming.

He gave an audible verbal warning before discharging his weapon.

He fired a single shot.

No evidence of panicking, it was quite controlled actually.

We also have the guard advising Stokes to get his dag to let him go or he will shot it. That is a clear warning which Stokes in his wisdom ignored. The shot was not unaimed as the dog released his tie after the shot. Well aimed in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Melodeon

2011 wrote: »
    That is not a pistol round, it is designed for shooting large game. But I guess you knew that :D

Indeed!

I was just building on the originator of this thread withing the thread's statement of 'fact' that a 9mm round would penetrate a concrete block and continue with lethal effect.
    Given that they only specified the diameter of the bullet and said nothing about the size of the case behind it, I was supposing that perhaps they were talking about something other than the common pistol round, 9×19mm Parabellum.

On the other hand, there's always a possibility, however remote, that they don't know what they're talking about. :D

This is a stupid post.

You asked a specific question. A poster gave you a logical, well known and valid example of why the AGS member could have been on his own.

Its not called "making it up", its a deduction or an assessment which is arrived at by historical, logical or contextual information.

It appears you will not accept an answer unless it gives the breakdown of AGS members who were either in the station or in the vicinity, what their current tasking was and why they decided to let that particular AGS member arrive on scene.

Is seems likely that you want to believe the AGS member was helping out a "mate" outside of his capacity as an AGS member while retaining the ability to use a weapon.

Why do YOU think he was first on scene?

You seem to assume that there was a call put in to the guards about the situation, maybe there was , have you seen a report of that. Maybe there was a shortage of guards on the day, I dont know or maybe he was out helping a mate and the situation got out of control.

I have said that I find it strange that a guard if called would go out on his own without support to a family who were known to be violent and aggressive.

I don't know what happened but people are believing what the guards and what papers are saying, they don't always tell the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭emptyhouse2222

The hamster is dead.....
    Long live the hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anytime a large unit of AGS show up to deal with travellers, pavee point are on with matt Cooper accusing them of heavy handedness

You seem to assume that there was a call put in to the guards about the situation, maybe there was , have you seen a report of that. Maybe there was a shortage of guards on the day, I dont know or maybe he was out helping a mate and the situation got out of control.

I have said that I find it strange that a guard if called would go out on his own without support to a family who were known to be violent and aggressive.

I don't know what happened but people are believing what the guards and what papers are saying, they don't always tell the truth.

It is understood that the armed garda sergeant arrived at the scene after a member of the public called Granard garda station claiming that he was unable to get his van back after it had been repaired by associates of Mr Stokes.

The caller had driven to Co Longford from the Newmarket area of Co Cork to retrieve the vehicle, but when he arrived in Bolie a confrontation broke out and gardaí were called to the scene.

Stop messing about, it's entirely clear what happened here.

• Advertisement

We also have the guard advising Stokes to get his dag to let him go or he will shot it. That is a clear warning which Stokes in his wisdom ignored. The shot was not unaimed as the dog released his tie after the shot. Well aimed in my opinion.

Are you saying that the dag(dog) had the guard by the tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It is understood that the armed garda sergeant arrived at the scene after a member of the public called Granard garda station claiming that he was unable to get his van back after it had been repaired by associates of Mr Stokes.

The caller had driven to Co Longford from the Newmarket area of Co Cork to retrieve the vehicle, but when he arrived in Bolie a confrontation broke out and gardaí were called to the scene.

Sounds like the customer was a tinker as well, who travels from Cork to Longford for van repair?

Since the Garda clearly said "Get him to let go of me" in the video that's exactly what I'm saying anyway.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Sounds like the customer was a tinker as well, who travels from Cork to Longford for van repair?

http://www.caseyfencing.ie/
    That's the company, travellers don't use legit websites for a business as it attracts the tax man.
    It was a legit businessman who was foolish enough to take a chance with travellers probably because of the low price offered.
    Under €2k was the price quoted in the papers, very cheap for an engine swap.

It is understood by who that a member of the public called the guards?

Listen I dont believe a word of what some travellers say but when an armed guard shots someone then there needs to be some evidence as to what happened.

It may have happened as you say but I think we should not jump to conclusions until we see some proof.

Pretty obvious it wasn't Stokes but a character called Toby who had the guard by the tie, whom earlier Stokes commanded to watch him. Of course Mrs Speilberg decided not to give Toby any screen time, strange since he was also a gunshot victim according to all available reports and no I don't believe Stokes and his clan when he says there was no dag.

I agree, we don't know.

Why ask a specific question if you have no intent to accept the answer, especially when all the information available to most of us, is open source?

You are using the fact thay we don't know, to support your theory.

Also, it wouldnt be strange for a sole AGS member to be first on scene ahead of back up, not strange at all.

Have you factored in that the travellers were on first name basis with the AGS member?

Would you not accept that a logical response (if a call to the station occurred) would be to send an AGS member who is familiar with the travellers in question to de-escalate the situation before it needed multiple AGS members?

Going from what is available in the media, this seemed to be a personal dispute that escalated once the travellers produced a weapon.

tuxy wrote: »
    Since the Garda clearly said "Get him to let go of me" in the video that's exactly what I'm saying anyway.

Should be dog DNA evidence on his tie so. Case wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yeah, and if I had two flutes I'd never leave the house.

Why would you not leave the house?

• Advertisement

Should be dog DNA evidence on his tie so. Case wrapped up.

How will you know which dog the DNA is from if the dead dog is hidden?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement