Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

seamus wrote: »
    Standard equipment for the role he has tbh.

For detectives yeah. Detective Inspector in this case.

I gather from news reports that a slash hook was removed from a woman prior to the video that is circulating.

When you have headbangers with security dogs and slash hooks, you can see that that you are dealing with people that have no respect for the police.

And now the inspector has received his very own GIM according to newspaper reports!

You'd be forgiven for wondering who is in charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

The Garda response was very appropriate, credit to him he didn't panic and shot the attacker in the head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Feisar wrote: »
    Now, if the femoral artery had been nicked would that have been murder or death due to misadventure.

Without being a legal eagle, if you have applied the lowest degree of force appropriate to the situation, it is highly likely that an accidental death would not go against you.

Your actions would have been reasonable, measured and justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have fired a few 9mms rounds using BAPs and Glocks.

A 9mm fired from anything under 50 meters is lethal if it hits you in the wrong area. Beyond 50 meters it could also be fatal. It was chosen by the military and police because of its power.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Now, if the femoral artery had been nicked would that have been murder or death due to misadventure.
    The femoral artery is not in the leg, it is in the thigh, any bleeding below the knee can be easily stopped with a tourniquet

• Advertisement

Anybody know why the guard was on his own? Why was he there in the first pace, was it the result of a call to the emergency services? Why has he no back up?

It all seems a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anybody know why the guard was on his own? Why was he there in the first pace, was it the result of a call to the emergency services? Why has he no back up?

Lack of resources, nothing new there.

STB. wrote: »
    For detectives yeah. Detective Inspector in this case.

I gather from news reports that a slash hook was removed from a woman prior to the video that is circulating.

When you have headbangers with security dogs and slash hooks, you can see that that you are dealing with people that have no respect for the police.

And now the inspector has received his very own GIM according to newspaper reports!

You'd be forgiven for wondering who is in charge ?

Who took the slash hook from her?

Lack of resources, nothing new there.

Is that from first hand knowledge or are you guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say the Gardai are delighted about the blabbing to the press.

As we saw with the Margaret Cash fiasco, the more these kinds of idiots are allowed to flap their gums, the more proveable lies they come out with that you can use to discredit them later on.

• Advertisement

Is that from first hand knowledge or are you guessing?

Not guessing , but I'm certainly not divulging how I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well, no its not "Hollywood crap" at all.

In this situation, i.e. close quarters, it was approprate to fire a shot low and at the legs.

The AGS member was under threat, albeit a limited threat. He was engaging an unarmed civilian. If trained to shoot centre mass in this scenario as described, thats murder.

The situation was clearly not grave enough to warrant a direct targeted centre mass shot. However, low and at the legs was appropriate course of action.

It must be taken into consideration that the impact may have been a ricochet, suggesting that the shot may have been a warning shot. TBC obviously.

He didn't shoot at anyone's legs, he shot the dog.

Finally....

Allegedly.

I was responding to a poster who says "aiming low and at the legs" is not an appropriate response. I gave an example of why it would be appropriate in this situation.

Engaging the dag or not, a ricochet still shot the traveller.

Not guessing , but I'm certainly not divulging how I know.

So you are saying that the guards were called about the situation and they sent one armed detective to sort it out, was it the guy in the van that called the guards to incident?

Allegedly.

I was responding to a poster who says "aiming low and at the legs" is not an appropriate response. I gave an example of why it would be appropriate in this situation.

Engaging the dag or not, a ricochet still shot the traveller.

How do you know he was hit by a ricochet?

So you are saying that the guards were called about the situation and they sent one armed detective to sort it out, was it the guy in the van that called the guards to incident?

Is the above what I said? Can't say I remember saying any of the above.

Finally....

71 page thread and people are arguing over what happened, weird. It's in all the papers.

Guy replied to ad about fitting engines, van collected and when he went to pick it up had a problem with the quality of work. Slashhook produced, gardai rang, Garda threatened with dog, warning given, dog shot, bullet also hits yer man. All the information is in the papers. Now dogs body has been hidden and Gardas life threatened as well as several clearly false claims made as they circle the wagons.

Is the above what I said? Can't say I remember saying any of the above.

I asked why the guard was on his own, you said lack of resources but you cant really back up your claim, i would say you don't know and are making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Slight error, it's 'circle the Hiace vans'.

• Advertisement

71 page thread and people are arguing over what happened, weird. It's in all the papers.

Guy replied to ad about fitting engines, van collected and when he went to pick it up had a problem with the quality of work. Slashhook produced, gardai rang, Garda threatened with dog, warning given, dog shot, bullet also hits yer man. All the information is in the papers. Now dogs body has been hidden and Gardas life threatened as well as several clearly false claims made as they circle the wagons.

Did you watch the video?

How do you know he was hit by a ricochet?

I don't.

One of these occurred:

1. He fired a warning shot and either directly hit the traveller OR it ricocheted off the ground and inadvertently hit the traveller.

2. He aimed at the dog, hit the dog, the round travelled through the dog and into the travellers foot (if it was behind the dog).

3. He aimed at the dog, hit the dog, the round travelled through the dog, hit the ground and bounced and into the traveller.

Either way, I believe he aimed at the dog and the traveller was accidentally struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

What is the purpose of them saying there was no dog. Surely in the investigation the guard isn't going to be disbelieved when he says he shot the dog and even without his word alone being good enough, he has the man in the van to back up that he shot a dog. I don't get why this business of disappearing the dog.

Wouldn't be murder. A murder charge requires that you prove the individual intended to kill or cause serious harm to another person. If you shoot an animal and your bullet also hits a person, it's not murder.

Mrsmum wrote:
    What is the purpose of them saying there was no dog. Surely in the investigation the guard isn't going to be disbelieved when he says he shot the dog and even without his word alone being good enough, he has the man in the van to back up that he shot a dog. I don't get why this business of disappearing the dog.

You expect these Travellers to tell the turth? That's nice.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    When they watched the video back they realised you can't see the dog, so if they just pretend there was no dog, ching-ching, compo.

You're not exactly dealing with Mastermind champions here.

So they can claim he shot the guy, same reason the video was edited and same reason the family are fabricating a fairy tale - money

Because it lends more weight to the travellers side of the argument.

If there was no dog involved, then the weapon was drawn for the intent to be used against the traveller.

The AGS defence is he was targeting a dog and the traveller was inadvertently struck.

If theres no evidence of a dog, then it looks worse on the AGS member.

Quite simple.

I asked why the guard was on his own, you said lack of resources but you cant really back up your claim, i would say you don't know and are making it up.

Does it matter why he was on his own?

• Advertisement

Think what you want it means nothing to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement