Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I am leaving Ireland in 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

The opening poster definetly has a point as regards those who never did a days work in their lives and have large family’s ... unless you get a job of 60-70,000 those layabouts will be better off than someone working ... there should be a benefits cap in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I cannot get over that inheritance tax is 33% after the threshold. That is daylight robbery.
    That's on income/assets that has been taxed heavily already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

yesto24 wrote: »
    You would think that and that is what we were told. But it's not the case.
    First off not all of the LPT paid to the local council stays with the council a good % of it goes to the have nots counties a sort of tax equilization. And second (I was told this by a Dublin City Council engineer I was working for) because DCC got so much money from the LPT other funds they would have gotten from the National government was cut.
    Same result.

You are well informed.

Yes, although all LPT goes to councils, all the LPT collected in council A does not necessarily go to council A.

Councils keep 80% of their LPT, and 20% goes into a pot to be distributed to weaker councils.

Yes, this is known as fiscal equalisation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

theguzman wrote: »
    Ireland has Nordic Taxation levels and developing country levels of public services.

Something tells me you haven't been a developing country.

Or paid tax in a Nordic country...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Biggest laugh ever, criticising Ireland because you have to pay taxes and now people complaining about inheritance tax as a disincentive to do well.

Who will care about taxes after you die. Also, if you have that much wealth you can organise it better to avoid taxation.

Also, OP thinking of moving to Qatar. It has no personal taxation and sunshine and that’s about it.

An absolute monarchy whose legal system is based on Sharia law. People are publically flogged for being an adulterer.
    Stoning is a legal punishment there.

Don’t see why anybody would want to live there unless you were put there by your work for a short period of time and lots of money.

People love to bash Ireland and think the grass is greener on the other side.

I have lived abroad myself, Australia and The Netherlands, and I came to value what Ireland has.

I don’t judge a country on just it’s economy but much more. Scenery, amenities, lifestyle and its people.

Spend time in Dutch suburb with no countryside and people rigidly living the same life in their all white interior house sucks the life out of you despite having great transport, healthcare etc.

Ireland has its faults and could be better run but it is beautiful, safe and vibrant, and its people are witty, funny and most of all spontaneous, relaxed and as shown recently more liberal and progressive thinking than most.

Maybe the OP should move to Qatar to realise this.

• Advertisement

I left and it worked out for me, and I wasn't under any impression that Ireland was a bad country. A while out of it will hammer it home that it's actually a great country.

Have to agree with some other posters here. You're pinning something else on the country and that's a pretty natural thing to do. I only get annoyed at traffic and get pissed off at the country I'm in when I'm stressed out about other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Have to laugh at people claiming everyone is still broke yet we’re on course to spend the most this Christmas than ever before.

I think people majorly over exaggerate their finiacial position and don’t like people thinking they have loads of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Qatar is just one of the low tax regimes I am thinking of, The US is also very appealing depending on which state I'd go to. I don't know how anyone could defend what is happening in Ireland unless you were a Civil Servant on a cushy job with a pension. I know lads who stay in bed all day, drink a few cans or smoke a bit of weed, they have nothing to their name and contribute nothing to society only draw down from the system, before they would anger me but as every day passes I admire them more for being able to give two fingers to the taxman.

The US isnt low tax.. They have eye watering property taxes over there. A mate of mine pays $18k / year property tax on a house valued at $400k. Plus don't get sick - anything health related costs a fortune. And playing a sport costs a fortune. Plus rents are really expensive in the major cities, many worse than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Baby, please don't go
    Baby, please don't go
    Baby, please don't go
    Down to New Orleans, you know I love you so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

murpho999 wrote: »

Spend time in Dutch suburb with no countryside and people rigidly living the same life in their all white interior house sucks the life out of you despite having great transport, healthcare etc

QFT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Well said OP.

Give me Qatar over Ireland any day. I can't think of one downside to living in Qatar compared to Ireland. Not one. No taxes? Must be paradise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'd like to see these mathematical calculations that say our effective tax rate is 80% considering our GDP in 2017 was towards the 300 Billion mark and our average annual income is 38,500 and the Government tax intake of 2017 was under 51 Billion :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    the generally successful attempts to distract people with lots of easy-win social referenda instead
    Leo's problem is he is running out of low hanging fruit. The remaining feel-good no-brainer populist referenda are few and far between and once they run out, the emperor will have no clothes. Health service worse than ever, universities free falling down the international rankings, no answers to housing crisis, continuing the policy of over reliance on FDI and the dublin-centric economy and then top it all off with a plan to increase the population by a million by 2040 but no plan around the calibre of the immigrants.

Playing a blinder, Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Leo's problem is he is running out of low hanging fruit. The remaining feel-good no-brainer populist referenda are few and far between and once they run out, the emperor will have no clothes. Health service worse than ever, universities free falling down the international rankings, no answers to housing crisis, continuing the policy of over reliance on FDI and the dublin-centric economy and then top it all off with a plan to increase the population by a million by 2040 but no plan around the calibre of the immigrants.

Playing a blinder, Leo.

Once again it’s not a plan to increase the population by 1 million immigrants.

It’s a forecast of population increasing.

More waffle.

The best and worst thing about Ireland is that we don't give a ****. Stuff doesn't work properly but a few days in Holland not in the Dam was enough for me. 1 day in the Damn was too much. :P

On taxes it's swings and roundabouts and one good thing about here is that there's always a cheap option when it comes to food/shopping. It's not nice to have to watch the pennies but a person could easily get by on 20 quid a week for food if they needed to.

More waffle.
    When our fertility rates are below replacement levels where is this natural increase going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

More waffle.
    I don't mind if it is immigrants, I just want quality immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'd like to see these mathematical calculations that say our effective tax rate is 80% considering our GDP in 2017 was towards the 300 Billion mark and our average annual income is 38,500 and the Government tax intake of 2017 was under 51 Billion :confused:

2017 taxes = 68,570m

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/giea/governmentincomeandexpenditurejuly2018/

Average labour earnings 2017 = 37,646, note this IS NOT average incomes

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/earningsandlabourcosts/

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I cannot get over that inheritance tax is 33% after the threshold. That is daylight robbery.
    That's on income/assets that has been taxed heavily already.

Any monies accumulated are most likely to be in the form of property, as its inheritance its likely to belong to an elderly person, possibly a nice house in a nice part of Dublin for 10,000 in the 70s. that same property is now worth €1million, the capital appreciation of €990,000 has never been taxed in any shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

professore wrote: »
    The US isnt low tax.. They have eye watering property taxes over there. A mate of mine pays $18k / year property tax on a house valued at $400k. Plus don't get sick - anything health related costs a fortune. And playing a sport costs a fortune. Plus rents are really expensive in the major cities, many worse than Dublin.

True. Try sending your kids to college in the U.S.A.
    While there are costs in Ireland a lot of the costs can be tackled if the little ***** take on summer work and part time jobs. A lot of families also get grants towards fees etc.
    No one ever said students should have an easy ride through college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

professore wrote: »

I think Dublin rents are the worst for rent compared to income. But you're right about everything else. Medical insurance costs a fortune if your job doesn't pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'd agree big time regarding taxation, it's far too high and i feel people in the middle really get screwed in Ireland. I'm also not a massive fan of a lot of the political attitudes that gain weight here, the kind that believe in free money for all at the cost of massive taxes for those that get off their arse to work. Having said that it's still a great country, beautiful landscape and beaches, fantastic people, wonderful culture of sport, music ect. We also enjoy many freedoms which we take for granted elsewhere this is not the case.

Truth there's good and bad in all countries, some are indeed better than others and the truth is Ireland in world terms would be one of the best. I wish you luck OP i live abroad myself right now and am enjoying it, having said that there's plenty i miss about Ireland in time you might find absence makes the heart grow fonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Have to laugh at people claiming everyone is still broke yet we’re on course to spend the most this Christmas than ever before.

I think people majorly over exaggerate their finiacial position and don’t like people thinking they have loads of money.

Agreed. Although there are a lot of people in bad financial situations, some people are struggling with their finances 'cos they're trying to keep up with the Joneses. No one is forcing you spend a fortune a month to pay for your new 182 car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

"its easier now to move from the lower to middle than it ever has been. there is **** all of a difference between say someone on 24000 and 37 a few grand after the ****in tax man."

I thought that the average Irish salary was 44,000 ?

Geuze wrote: »

Can't tax revenue theoretically reach 99.99% or something I'm guessing? It's just the multiplier effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

"its easier now to move from the lower to middle than it ever has been. there is **** all of a difference between say someone on 24000 and 37 a few grand after the ****in tax man."

I thought that the average Irish salary was 44,000 ?

On the Last Word last night they said it was 47k.

If that's the average wage, what's the average job role that everyone is in. I'd love to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

LirW wrote: »
    Yes but where are you heading

Probably Qatar
    LOL
    So you really don't care about human rights and think that you are moving to a fairer society?

Taxes could be reduced here if we decided to forego social welfare and human rights.

You are just a hypocrite and all your claims of how bad things are here you don't care about other people in another country but willing to support it.

100% inheritance tax be a good way to go

and the family home to have all protections removed from.bankruptcy hearings etc

break the cycle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

NSAman wrote: »
    I left a good few years ago. Have set up a nice lifestyle for myself with all the "little" creature comforts that one could want. I couldi not make a living in Ireland in what I do, so I was left with no option.

Would I return to Ireland if I could? ABSO****LUTELY

I already have my retirement plan set out, I have the property bought and will start building that future this coming year.

I love living here, BUT, I also know that I would love to spend more time at home (it is home after all).

Your very lucky to have that to come home too
    Going abroad work out well so fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On the Last Word last night they said it was 47k.

If that's the average wage, what's the average job role that everyone is in. I'd love to know that.
    The distribution of salaries/wages is not a symmetrical bell curve, so the average isn't a very helpful figure. The median wage, i.e. the wage most people are earning, will be somewhat less than the average.

Advertisement