Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE No Longer Allowed to Refer to Patients as "Love" or "Dear"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

The whole thing is based on one line from a 122 page report

https://mobile.twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1069689822833532930

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

matrim wrote: »
    The whole thing is based on one line from a 122 page report

https://mobile.twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1069689822833532930

Priceless.
    That’s it - I called the HSE to clarify earlier and they confirmed they have not banned staff from referring to patients as dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So, it's a non-story and Newstalk either got it ass-ways or deliberately misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The irony in the reaction on AH is that the "its pc gone mad" brigade that moan about snowflakes getting offended at everything are actually more offended and wound up than anyone.

Anyway, non story judging from matrims post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So, it's a non-story and Newstalk either got it ass-ways or deliberately misled.

I don't think the general issue is a non-story though.

There has been a huge rise in recent years of complaints about using such terms usually I think to support the idea of an alive and well patriarchy. The thinking goes if you use such terms then that's proof of an ingrained attitude that men feel superior to women. I dunno, I think if I felt superior to women I'd use terms other than luv or petal, like slapper, cow, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I am a healthcare professional and I welcome the directive for similar reasons already expressed in the thread.

I always cringe whenever I hear a patient being spoken to with "love" "dear" "darling". It is condescending. Especially when we are talking about a 20/30 something old nurse talking to a 80/90 year old. Language like this perpetuates the unequal power dynamic between care giver and patient. If you consider the psychology of a sick person, by removing their maturity and their right to be respected you are reinforcing in overt ways that the are sick and not that they are recovering.

As already mentioned, patients who are respected and actively participate in their care have better outcomes. Sure this might seem like a small thing but it adds up to a big picture in reshaping modern healthcare relationships. Patients need power and autonomy over their own health and they deserve an equal relationship with their doctors and nurses. I call my patients by their first name out of politeness or whatever they prefer to be referred as. Our conversations are exchanges and we are both there to work to a shared goal. It's a simple initiative and it requires a very mild effort on the part of us healthcare providers in changing our own behaviours.

Needs more Going Forward and Synergy for peak PowerPoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if it all raises out of complaints (i mean I figure someone *has* to have complained to the HSE about the use of the words?) - then would I get burned to say that i think the Mid to old age pensioners must have complained about it or would I be wrong . I cannot really see an aul' fella saying dont call us lads and boys - but i might believe a mid to old age lady might say "dont address me as dear as its patronizing and you are writing me off as old"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

#MeToo

If you cannot be arsed remembering my name (which is usually on the chart in front of you), then I don't trust you to remember relevant medical details.

I'd say you'll be "the grumpy cnt in bed 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Omackeral wrote: »
    As per Newstalk bulletin this morning, all HSE staff have been banned from using these terms. I don't really give a fiddlers myself but wondering what others think? Do you think it promotes a more professional demeanour? Do you think it strips back a bit of the caring approach and makes it more of an impersonal and rigid experience. Tell me your thoughts pet.

Fake news

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1069689822833532930?s=19

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1069691053656150017?s=19

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

So it was all a load of nonsense by FakeNewstalk pushing some Dennis O'Brien agenda that the snow flakes fell for? PC gone mad etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

#MeToo

If you cannot be arsed remembering my name (which is usually on the chart in front of you), then I don't trust you to remember relevant medical details.

With older people especially, the official

name on the chart is often not even what they're used to being called anymore. I'm thinking of all the Peggys Nancys and Bettys etc that are wincing each time a junior doc sidles up and calls them Margaret, Ann or Elizabeth.

As long as dear, love etc sounds half sincere I wouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

So it was all a load of nonsense by FakeNewstalk pushing some Dennis O'Brien agenda that the snow flakes fell for? PC gone mad etc etc

ah no lads come on, dont say after all that it is bloody fake! - my blood pressure has been high all day today from the moment I first heard of it. - so ridiculous that I thought it must be true . I was waiting for a nurse to say love to me and get all angry and report her! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I mentioned this in an earlier post.
    Anti PC people are now so predictable that they're being manipulated.
    Some media outlets are now actively looking for stories about political correctness.
    They know that anti PC crowd will go nuts and drum up a lot of traffic to their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This probably has been said, but the HSE would never be praised as an effectively run organization. Would there not be more pressing matters they should be dealing with? For me it's a bit of a smoke screen so we don't look at how ****ty home help is run for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I work in the HSE and think it's absolutely ludicrous that this is what they're worrying about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

erica74 wrote: »
    I work in the HSE and think it's absolutely ludicrous that this is what they're worrying about.

Can't really blame the HSE in fairness, the world is gone fúckin PC mad thanks to social justice warriors and the baffling amount of media coverage that's wasted on them parasites.

So what else can you expect, the HSE most likely saw this as a necessary move to save any hassle or even court cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Can't really blame the HSE in fairness, the world is gone fúckin PC mad thanks to social justice warriors and the baffling amount of media coverage that's wasted on them parasites.

So what else can you expect, the HSE most likely saw this as a necessary move to save any hassle or even court cases!

Or maybe you can look at the my post from yesterday and realise that instead of "left wing PC snowflakes" this is actually blown out of all proportion by "right wing clickbait scaremongers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

A nurse once ended every sentence to me with 'my lovely' which I hated.

But a blanket ban on such terms is a bit much. It wouldn't be right in a bank or a supermarket, but part of a nurse's job is to be kind and caring and understanding, hence those terms. They are not robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Deliberate mislead. All of the Dennis O'Brien stations ran with it as "big news".

He's taking the lead from Murdock and other moguls, directing his media to push and twist stories that are deliberately incendiary, regardless of their context or actual impact.

I've stopped listening to Today FM in the evenings because even Matt Cooper has allowed himself to become a pawn in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Omackeral wrote: »
    Right up your street so!

Dig up Omackeral, dig up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

You'd want to be some sort of awkward and entitled brat to be offended our patronised by these terms.
    More depersonalisation of services. If people think that's a good thing they know nothing about hospital care, which many might understandably find to be a very personal thing.
    But sure who wants the kindness of a stranger when we have an annoying family member to wreck staffs heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cursai wrote: »
    You'd want to be some sort of awkward and entitled brat to be offended our patronised by these terms.
    More depersonalisation of services. If people think that's a good thing they know nothing about hospital care, which many might understandably find to be a very personal thing.
    But sure who wants the kindness of a stranger when we have an annoying family member to wreck staffs heads.

why are you still going on about this as if it was true? This was fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I guess this is another symptom of minority rule.

I.e the minority of people who are loud prcks who dislike something always get their way.

Situations like this are never to the benefit of the wider public. Ever. As can be seen from this very thread. A few individuals find it offensive but they are the usual grumpy suspects and are like that in many aspects of their lifes.

Minority rules

listermint wrote: »
    I guess this is another symptom of minority rule.

I.e the minority of people who are loud prcks who dislike something always get their way.

Situations like this are never to the benefit of the wider public. Ever. As can be seen from this very thread. A few individuals find it offensive but they are the usual grumpy suspects and are like that in many aspects of their lifes.

Minority rules

This was fake news.

why are you still going on about this as if it was true? This was fake news.

Just having a conversation about the whole mindset which is still being discussed in the report. Is that okay? Or are conversations too personal to be having on the wards now as well?

I am a healthcare professional and I welcome the directive for similar reasons already expressed in the thread.

I always cringe whenever I hear a patient being spoken to with "love" "dear" "darling". It is condescending. Especially when we are talking about a 20/30 something old nurse talking to a 80/90 year old. Language like this perpetuates the unequal power dynamic between care giver and patient. If you consider the psychology of a sick person, by removing their maturity and their right to be respected you are reinforcing in overt ways that the are sick and not that they are recovering.

As already mentioned, patients who are respected and actively participate in their care have better outcomes. Sure this might seem like a small thing but it adds up to a big picture in reshaping modern healthcare relationships. Patients need power and autonomy over their own health and they deserve an equal relationship with their doctors and nurses. I call my patients by their first name out of politeness or whatever they prefer to be referred as. Our conversations are exchanges and we are both there to work to a shared goal. It's a simple initiative and it requires a very mild effort on the part of us healthcare providers in changing our own behaviours.

Which hospital do you work in. It's just that I want to know how far I'll have to crawl on my deathbed to avoid it.

Just having a conversation about the whole mindset which is still being discussed in the report. Is that okay? Or are conversations too personal to be having on the wards now as well?

The report is not about depersonalisation. quite the opposite. They are asking staff to address people by their name. How in the name of god is that depersonalisation?

Would they not be better off redeploying admin staff to patient care rather than discussing the vocabulary of the already squeezed frontline staff.

Would they not be better off redeploying admin staff to patient care rather than discussing the vocabulary of the already squeezed frontline staff.

what part of "we prefer if staff address patients by their name" causes you difficulty?

• Advertisement

The report is not about depersonalisation. quite the opposite. They are asking staff to address people by their name. How in the name of god is that depersonalisation?

Read the report. About three lines further than where you stopped which is probably four lines further than you bothered to read.

Advertisement