Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE No Longer Allowed to Refer to Patients as "Love" or "Dear"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Oh FFS. Their skills are not remembering the madness of 30 people on a ward which changes daily. "Jaysus, she was a crap nurse, but by fcuk could she remember a name".

You think remembering a name is more difficult than remembering the medical conditions of their patients? The last few times i have been in to hospitals it has been the norm to refer to patients by their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Some people will put up with being patronised rather than complain to what they see is an authority figure.

Where does the patronizing element come from though?

If a nurse called me "dear" i would consider it patronising. Luckily I seem to only interact with professionals who call me by my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You think remembering a name is more difficult than remembering the medical conditions of their patients? The last few times i have been in to hospitals it has been the norm to refer to patients by their name.

If it's the norm then why are the HSE getting their knickers in a twist over this so?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If it's the norm then why are the HSE getting their knickers in a twist over this so?

If it is the norm (and i am not saying it is i am just relating my experience) then why are people here getting their knickers in a twist over the "change"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If it is the norm (and i am not saying it is i am just relating my experience) then why are people here getting their knickers in a twist over the "change"?

Because I feel its yet another example of the vocal minority causing unnecessary changes in society just so they don't feel "patronised, talked down to or belittled"

If that's all it takes for someone to feel like that then they shouldn't leave the house.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Because I feel its yet another example of the vocal minority causing unnecessary changes in society just so they don't feel "patronised, talked down to or belittled"

If that's all it takes for someone to feel like that then they shouldn't leave the house.

You dont get to decide how somebody else should feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

If they cant even remember a patients name what are they incapable of remembering about the patient?

I couldn't give a toss if someone didn't remember my name, it's principles before personality.

Fck me, if I had a chainsaw injury all I'd be worried about is getting looked after.
    I'd much prefer the paramedics or nurses saying "you poor bastard" we'll look after you, this might hurt like **** son, but mate you'll be ok...

My bollix I wont be thinking he just said I'm a Bastard,then said I'm economically challenged, then calls me son how fcken dare he.
    I'm not his friend either
    This is a ghastly outrage, everybody stop stop

I demand some one else to fix me....he's not a nice cis man.

Meanwhile some PC brigade comes in twenty minutes later, too late to save my leg now....

It's all the first guys fault..he wasn't​ nice enough to me...

Another thing I noticed, is a lot of these new age softies easily offended men come from broken home's and lack of an alpha dad or uncle to spend time with.
    Nothing wrong with a father giving a son some lifeskills.

Actually I think there's more alpha masculine gay men out there now than alpha straight guys.

Some of the best chainsaw workmanship I've ever seen was from a Gay couple who are tree surgeons, they are basically manly men...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

You dont get to decide how somebody else should feel.

Yeah but I can choose not to care, which I don't.

nthclare wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss if someone didn't remember my name, it's principles before personality.

Fck me, if I had a chainsaw injury all I'd be worried about is getting looked after.
    I'd much prefer the paramedics or nurses saying "you poor bastard" we'll look after you, this might hurt like **** son, but mate you'll be ok...

My bollix I wont be thinking he just said I'm a Bastard,then said I'm economically challenged, then calls me son how fcken dare he.
    I'm not his friend either
    This is a ghastly outrage, everybody stop stop

I demand some one else to fix me....he's not a nice cis man.

Meanwhile some PC brigade comes in twenty minutes later, too late to save my leg now....

It's all the first guys fault..he wasn't​ nice enough to me...

Another thing I noticed, is a lot of these new age softies easily offended men come from broken home's and lack of an alpha dad or uncle to spend time with.
    Nothing wrong with a father giving a son some lifeskills.

Actually I think there's more alpha masculine gay men out there now than alpha straight guys.

Some of the best chainsaw workmanship I've ever seen was from a Gay couple who are tree surgeons, they are basically manly men...

and they say the PC brigade are snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

There could simply be a check box on the admissions paperwork indicating whether the patient is 'dear' amenable or otherwise. Medical staff can then proceed on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

It is nice to see that the HSE is getting to grips with the real issues.

While they are at it could they ban the word "pop".
    "Pop up there, and pop down your jocks .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

"Pop up there, and pop down your jocks ....

LOL:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

From some working class pesant failing to refer to me as my preferred pronoun or honorific!

Whenever I encounter somebody 'offended' such terms of endearment it's always some smug middle class bint irritatated at the familiarity of working class language and it's use in addressing 'their betters'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

"Pop up there, and pop down your jocks .....

This is it really. I think, and I would hope, that this new policy and policies like it, will be ignored by adults who are capable of using their best judgement in the multitude of various contexts in which they find themselves, rather than adhering to a policy which dictates how they are to put people at ease. Such policies are inherently contradictory and counter-productive.

This is it really. I think, and I would hope, that this new policy and policies like it, will be ignored by adults who are capable of using their best judgement in the multitude of various contexts in which they find themselves, rather than adhering to a policy which dictates how they are to put people at ease. Such policies are inherently contradictory and counter-productive.

what is counter productive about calling people by their name?

and they say the PC brigade are snowflakes.

Who are they ?

Who are they ?

The mysterious group of people that seem to upset a lot of people here by their very existence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is this thread not based entirely on someone hearing something about a NHS trust in the UK, not the HSE at all?

And only reported in the Mail meaning it's probably lies

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

what is counter productive about calling people by their name?

There’s nothing inherently counterproductive about calling people by their name, and I wasn’t suggesting there was anything wrong with that. It’s when it’s written into a policy that staff must address patients by their name, that things get a bit 1984ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Every week there seems to be something added to the list of things you can no longer say or do because of the lefty's.

Yet i keep being told ''uhhh its only you who notices it!'' ''sure its all just on twitter it doesn't really happen in the real world''.....

If a nurse called me "dear" i would consider it patronising. Luckily I seem to only interact with professionals who call me by my name.

You sound like someone who's very important.

Do they roll out the red carpet upon your arrival,and more than likely there's a soundtrack ready for your arrival...

If I had it my way I'd probably have the palpatine theme playing in the background upon my arrival.
    And a squadron of storm troopers lined up, maybe Darth Vader at my side.

Wouldn't that be epic

You sound like someone who's very important.

Do they roll out the red carpet upon your arrival,and more than likely there's a soundtrack ready for your arrival...

If I had it my way I'd probably have the palpatine theme playing in the background upon my arrival.
    And a squadron of storm troopers lined up, maybe Darth Vader at my side.

Wouldn't that be epic

What makes you think they treat me any differently to anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

If I'm not called by any name, should I be offended?

If I'm not called by any name, should I be offended?

I'm sure they would think up a name for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Having a first language where nonsense like that isn't used in a formal/professional context, it really was irritating. I know it's customs here, don't get me wrong.
    But I'm a grown woman, not a chicken, pet, darling, hun or whatever. Just use my name, simples.

But then, that's just the opinion of a German native speaker.

LirW wrote: »
    Having a first language where nonsense like that isn't used in a formal/professional context, it really was irritating. I know it's customs here, don't get me wrong.
    But I'm a grown woman, not a chicken, pet, darling, hun or whatever. Just use my name, simples.

But then, that's just the opinion of a German native speaker.

Nothing worse than being called a Hun and being from Germany...

Look what the Barbarians did to the Roman empire :)

Never call a German a Hun ;)

What makes you think they treat me any differently to anybody else?

Point taken, they probably treat you like everyone else.

And rightly so, I'm sure you prefer to be treated like everyone​ else.

Because you have the same rights as every other person here, and I think you appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I worked in NHS in West Yorkshire in the early 90s. We were not allowed to do it then, and quite rightly so. Its depersonalising and patronising. In fairness, I've never really come across it in hospitals here.

One thing that I find astonishing is midwives addressing expectant/new mothers as "Mummy/Mum" in shows like "One Born..." I'm amazed that no one has screamed " I'm NOT your fecking mother! " at one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Imagine the horror if we all reverted to speaking Irish daily as our first language.

The PC Brigade would have a field day with our most common Greeting Dia is Mhuire Duit ( Hello) which translates literally as God and Mary be with you, for those that don’t know!
    I can see this being banned from usage in the future, if we continue on this road.

Advertisement