Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE No Longer Allowed to Refer to Patients as "Love" or "Dear"

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,155 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So we're at the stage were people suggest that calling someone pet is akin to a Gestapo office referring to an inmate via their KZ registration number? Full dehumanisation?
    Settle pettle.
    And yes, it is a brainfart and if you find this opinion risible, good. People like you are part of the problem.

nobody has suggested anything of the sort but because the OP has been shown to be a ball of ****e you have to invent something to justify your outrage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

so suggesting that health care staff treat their patients as people is something to be slagged? what an interesting idea.
    nobody has suggested anything of the sort but because the OP has been shown to be a ball of ****e you have to invent something to justify your outrage.

The bit in bold. Would you get the fcuk away outta that. Seriously.
    I mean what was that about outrage? If you were a patient would you complain you were treated inhumanely or dehumanised in any way if someone calls you petal?
    Seriously, if that offends you, there's something wrong with the arrangement of the toys in your attic.

I mean what was that about outrage? If you were a patient would you complain you were treated inhumanely or dehumanised in any way if someone calls you petal?
    Seriously, if that offends you, there's something wrong with the arrangement of the toys in your attic.

nobody has mentioned inhumanely or dehumanised. Again you are inventing outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thank god I nursed in a time when we could call the kids honey bunny , chicken , little monkey , sweetheart , gorgeous , or whatever suited them at that given moment .

so suggesting that health care staff treat their patients as people is something to be slagged? what an interesting idea.
    nobody has mentioned inhumanely or dehumanised. Again you are inventing outrage.

The bit in bold

• Advertisement

The bit in bold

calling somebody love or pet is not inhumane or dehumanising. It is patronising. you have to take everything to an extreme to justify your fake outrage.

calling somebody love or pet is not inhumane or dehumanising. It is patronising. you have to take everything to an extreme to justify your fake outrage.

Well, I think it's sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cloudy90210

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank god I nursed in a time when we could call the kids honey bunny , chicken , little monkey , sweetheart , gorgeous , or whatever suited them at that given moment .

little monkey O.O

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

little monkey O.O

Yep !! Some of them were !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

The thread is pretty eye opening. Even after being shown that the original news story was bull****, there's still some posters who can't let it go.
    It's a fascinating insight into the deficiencies around public debate. Plenty of people have no interest in actually debating, they just want to keep an opinion, irrespective of the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

This was fake news.

for the moment maybe - they more than likely testing the water and will introduce it down the line .. very soon most probably

zell12 wrote: »
    NigelCarry_2102807c.jpg

oooerrrr Matron! - I say!

I do find it a bit weird when the cashier woman in Centra calls me "Pet". I'm 43 like

what is she supposed to call you? - does she know your first name? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sorry dear we have no beds you will have to lye on a trolley tonight.
    Sorry Mr Smith we have no beds you will have to lye on a trolley tonight.

Does this make it any better??

Before I get all outraged and all that, can anyone confirm from whether this is an actual ban or whether this is just a suggestion of some sort?

I'd like to be informed before I end up being one of those permanently outraged, red-faced eejiits shouting "PC GONE MAD".

neither - its fake news apparently .. but you have permission to still blow off steam if you wish - I know I did when I first heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The only people complaining are you and the "pc gone mad" crowd. No one else cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Easy to see why our health system is such a shambles when the people at the top of the ladder are wasting their time and energy on nonsense like this

Exactly!! Gob****es. What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One of the reasons you should address the patient by name.

https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1080481927491141632

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Omackeral wrote: »
    As per Newstalk bulletin this morning, all HSE staff have been banned from using these terms. I don't really give a fiddlers myself but wondering what others think? Do you think it promotes a more professional demeanour? Do you think it strips back a bit of the caring approach and makes it more of an impersonal and rigid experience. Tell me your thoughts pet.

Another case of the Left creating problems where there isn't any so they look like they're solving them.

Let the patient sort that out with their nurses if they prefer not to be referred to as "love", "dear",etc.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Another case of the Left creating problems where there isn't any so they look like they're solving them.

Let the patient sort that out with their nurses if they prefer not to be referred to as "love", "dear",etc.

yep, I am sure the nurses / doctor will respect their wishes and address them properly as they wish - but yeah if there is no issue why create one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

There never was a ban or even a suggestion of a ban. There is a market now for "pc gone mad" stories which are mostly made up. They are spread by right leaning media to rile up the public.

20Cent wrote: »
    There never was a ban or even a suggestion of a ban. There is a market now for "pc gone mad" stories which are mostly made up. They are spread by right leaning media to rile up the public.

well lets not mince the words - there was never a ban, no suggestion of a ban ... but would i be right in saying there was a suggestion of putting it into action and inserting it as a guideline? - if so, again why? - why change things / suggest things if (most of the time) the present system works?

Its almost like if the doctors and nurses start using real names when they address patients that all the other mistakes that happen in the medical profession will all melt away like magic because they are not using words like love, pet, dear and the like - which is complete and utter bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

well lets not mince the words - there was never a ban, no suggestion of a ban ... but would i be right in saying there was a suggestion of putting it into action and inserting it as a guideline? - if so, again why? - why change things / suggest things if (most of the time) the present system works?

Its almost like if the doctors and nurses start using real names when they address patients that all the other mistakes that happen in the medical profession will all melt away like magic because they are not using words like love, pet, dear and the like - which is complete and utter bollix

No ban
    No suggestion of a ban
    No suggestion of inserting it as a guideline.
    Nothing.

All made up.

Advertisement