Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE No Longer Allowed to Refer to Patients as "Love" or "Dear"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

How dare you refer to your partner as a She.
    How do you know tour partner still identifies as a She?

Are you seriously, genuinely making a "Did you just assume my gender???" joke?
    That shíte was thoroughly played out at least two years ago.
    You need to get up to date - maybe watch a few episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys to get some fresher material?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are you seriously, genuinely making a "Did you just assume my gender???" joke?
    That shíte was thoroughly played out at least two years ago.
    You need to get up to date - maybe watch a few episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys to get some fresher material?

It wasn't a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It wasn't a joke!

Well, yeah, cos jokes are supposed to be funny aren't they!

(LOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Maybe if the government got off their holes and hired extra nurses the ones that are there would be able to remember a few people's names.

Rather than the loads of patients they have to try to remember at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they fiddle while Rome burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

k99_64 wrote: »
    In Nottingham its 'duck'

In Manchester it’s “ Chuck” :-D

quite often when Im on the phone with a customer service lady in the UK, she will end the conversation with 'love', especially if you are ringing the midlands. I have to say I like it.

When a person is sick, I would think that being in a positive frame of mind would greatly contribute to their recovery. In other words it can only help if we are pleasant and caring towards one another, particularly in a hospital where there can be a lot of trauma and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

A bit of warmth and affection never hurt anybody.

Tell that to the burns unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Yoghurt87 wrote: »
    This is a positive step for all the reasons Seamus mentioned. And they might stop saying “Good girl” to grown women in labour while they’re at it.

My local vet is gonna get it next time he delivers a calf. The family cow does not want to be called “ good girl” anymore!

Fookin ridiculous pc crap!!!!! After spending two weeks in hospital I can well tell ya there is a lot more serious stuff being mouthed by staff, then terms of endearment like “love”.
    The lovely tea lady from Rialto has full permission to call this “ culshie” “ Love” if she wants. Slippy ,slippy slope we are on here!

Can the term “ love” be included on UNESCOS word protection list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Esel wrote: »
    U OK, hun?

Have too be. Will pm ya hun place is full of snakes xoxox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I would be happy with "esteemed taxpayer".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BeerWolf wrote: »
    How the feck is saying "dear" even remotely condescending or patronizing, unless they meant she was expensive...? :rolleyes:

Dunno, some snowflake crap...
    As I said, people are up their own holes.
    "I Demand Respect!" will get you anything but. My favourite reply is "respect is earned and you haven't".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They could just refer to you as your PPS number:

"Greetings human unit number 1234567N. Are you operating within normal parameters this morning?

rather than "How are you this morning Mary love?"

Can't beat a bit of cold and heartless HSE bureaucracy to make you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You’re doing the same as the people who think these policies are a good idea. You’re making blanket assumptions that patients don’t speak up for themselves, when in my experience, they do - when something actually bothers someone to the point where they feel strongly enough about it to speak up about it, they do.

If the idea is to break down the perceived barriers between an authoritative figure and their patients, then you have to allow for people to make their own judgement call as to how they speak to people, and how people wish to be spoken to......

I don't have links, but am 99% certain that the change is backed up by actual scientific research, which includes looking at people's brain wave patterns when addressed by name vs by a generic term. Notice that paramedics and emergency response staff are trained to make heavy use of personal names

The thing about having medical staff express their personality in this way is that it reduces the patient's personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What a fcukin time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

More nonsense from people who have nothing better to do then moan about things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

"Oh they kept calling me 'dear', i felt so patronised", what are you expecting? A clinical, soulless experience?

Personally, i find such terms add a bit more warmth and care to an already uncomfortable situation.

I can understand within a health care environment the importance of being seen as a person rather than just a patient in a bed. We are so vulnerable when sick and really at the mercy of the professionals. However the odd "love" "dear" "pet" can be comforting. In my experience alot of older staff, particularly care attendants, use the terms. It doesn't cost me a thought. If you get offended by these terms then really you have very little to be worrying about. The same really as taking offence at a song written decades ago.

I'm reminded of a few weeks ago when in a completely different setting a young lad gave me a hand with bags of sticks. I thanked him and he said "you're welcome my dear". What a nice young man I thought to myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm reminded of a few weeks ago when in a completely different setting a young lad gave me a hand with bags of sticks. I thanked him and he said "you're welcome my dear". What a nice young man I thought to myself :D

You should've sued him for grossly offending you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Look. This sounds like PC nonsense,so no way I'm going to agree with it even when it's been explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Considering the bed crisis and unhappy front line staff across the countries hospitals, I think they’ve bigger fish to fry than someone being called dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pyr0 wrote: »
    More nonsense from people who have nothing better to do then moan about things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

"Oh they kept calling me 'dear', i felt so patronised", what are you expecting? A clinical, soulless experience?

Personally, i find such terms add a bit more warmth and care to an already uncomfortable situation.

How about calling people by their name? Its a crazy idea but it just might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

How about calling people by their name? Its a crazy idea but it just might work.

How about they are left to concentrate on remembering their duties rather than remembering a load of names.

minikin wrote: »
    How about they are left to concentrate on remembering their duties rather than remembering a load of names.

If they cant even remember a patients name what are they incapable of remembering about the patient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Wonder if they will ban the term “walkie Talkie’s” in relation to patients also?

No issue with Dear or Luv, especially from those Tea ladies (persons)..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No.
    She finds the expression patronising and dismissive.

Would she not just them to use her name then instead of waiting for it to be outlawed?

My mam would deal with nurses regularly and they have become so familiar with one another that terms like “pet” and “dear” would roll off the tongue without even thinking about it. It can be a way of making a vulnerable patient feel comforted or just a friendly expression to someone you’ve known for years through the job. If it’s something that makes you uncomfortable then ask them to stop. Someday soon this country will be a totally hollow and robotic shell of its former self if we keep stripping away things that have ever meant something to people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'What is your address dear?' - Not really OK.

'I know it hurts love, but this injection will help with the pain' - OK in my book.

Context is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If they cant even remember a patients name what are they incapable of remembering about the patient?

Oh FFS. Their skills are not remembering the names of 30 people on a ward which changes daily. "Jaysus, she was a crap nurse, but by fcuk could she remember a name".

Would she not just them to use her name then instead of waiting for it to be outlawed?

My mam would deal with nurses regularly and they have become so familiar with one another that terms like “pet” and “dear” would roll off the tongue without even thinking about it. It can be a way of making a vulnerable patient feel comforted or just a friendly expression to someone you’ve known for years through the job. If it’s something that makes you uncomfortable then ask them to stop. Someday soon this country will be a totally hollow and robotic shell of its former self if we keep stripping away things that have ever meant something to people.

Some people will put up with being patronised rather than complain to what they see is an authority figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't have links, but am 99% certain that the change is backed up by actual scientific research, which includes looking at people's brain wave patterns when addressed by name vs by a generic term. Notice that paramedics and emergency response staff are trained to make heavy use of personal names

The thing about having medical staff express their personality in this way is that it reduces the patient's personality.

I’m not dismissing the scientific research that has been done as I’m aware of it too, but the limitations of any undertaking in scientific research is that their conclusions are by definition broadly based, rather than presenting any conclusive evidence about individuals.

Paramedics and emergency response staff are trained to use people’s names because in those circumstances they are testing people’s reactions - people react to familiarity differently than they do when they are anxious, stressed or surrounded by unfamiliarity. Hospitals are the very definition of a place where there is anxiety, stress and unfamiliarity for a patient - none of us generally spend all our time in hospitals unless we’re a member of staff or we work there in some other capacity. The staff who work there generally will see dozens of patients in any given day.

Sure, they could as you suggested earlier just look at your name on your chart and address your by your name, and I’m aware of the cognitive and social scientific explanations which suggest when speaking to someone that it’s better to use their name, but a policy like this will only mean staff will tend to go overboard in using your name in every single sentence so they aren’t pulled up on not adhering to the policy.

I’ve seen policies like this in action and I’ve always perceived them to be an attempt to police how people speak to each other because someone complained that not referring to them by their proper title was a micro-aggression. It ended up being a situation where people were afraid to speak to one another as they were more concerned with not taking the risk of offending anyone for fear of disciplinary action against them.

It didn’t make for a very comfortable place to work, it didn’t do anything to reassure ordinary people that we were a competent organisation, in fact it was quite the opposite of professionalism, because it was entirely based upon removing people’s autonomy from them and suggesting that they weren’t capable of using their own judgement to assess a situation.

I’ve never felt as though my personality was reduced by being referred to by any pet names, I understand that it’s how some people speak colloquially and express familiarity with people who are strangers to them. I know we feel differently about this but I personally would rather anyone involved in my case felt at ease with me rather than anxious and unable to give their 100% focus to my care because they’re worried about addressing me by my proper title.

It’s very reminiscent of Bishop Brennan - “You will address me by my proper title you little bollix”, it’s manufactured respect as opposed to authentic and genuine respect for people.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You should've sued him for grossly offending you.

It's real "stop the world I want to get off stuff". Give me a week in the company of Donald Trump over one with the always offended.

Advertisement