Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Am loving them Vintage Renault helmets. Have to say Hulkinbergs is my favorite.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At least Danny's doesn't look like the title screen for a 90s Nickelodeon show. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hey, it's not a Power Ranger, it's the transformer Bumblebee.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I like the concept of these helmets... current ones are a study case in modern sensory overload: stupidly busy and intricate designs which are basically impossible to remember and fully tell apart, bar a few exceptions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I like the concept of these helmets... current ones are a study case in modern sensory overload: stupidly busy and intricate designs which are basically impossible to remember and fully tell apart, bar a few exceptions.
    Two words that are the root of all evil for jejune helmet design: Lucky Design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

David Coulthard will not doing Baku with Channel 4 this time. It will be Eddie Jordan taking over the analyst reins with Steve Jones for that race.
    Not sure about how I feel about having Eddie in the commentary box with Ben, that's of course if that's what ends up happening. Hopefully Mark Webber is going to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Heads up for those relying on Sky 1 to watch live, the current listings for the next race weekend don't have any F1 coverage on Sky 1.

It's possible this will change but the previous races were in the advance listings which would be distributed 2 weeks ahead.

Kind of knew it wouldn't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What's the view on kubica? I think everyone was hoping he would be back to his best. 3 races in and he's struggling with his rookie team mate. The thinking was that he would bring loads of good will and sponsorship to Williams but I haven't seen it. Evidenced by the fact that they were struggling to get money to build the cars for the first pre season test.

Does anyone think he'll be resigned for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What's the view on kubica? I think everyone was hoping he would be back to his best. 3 races in and he's struggling with his rookie team mate. The thinking was that he would bring loads of good will and sponsorship to Williams but I haven't seen it. Evidenced by the fact that they were struggling to get money to build the cars for the first pre season test.

I'd be surprised if he makes it to the end of this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd be surprised if he makes it to the end of this season.

Yep, I really didn't understand this move. A pay driver would have been a better option for Williams, they are close to ruin, now was not the time to take a risk like this. An experienced driver who could wrangle a couple of points over the season or a pay driver to share the financial burden would have been better options.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kubica as much as the next person but his best F1 days are behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Already signed for 2020.
    There is a known fundamental fault with Kubica chassis along with a shortage of spare parts - source Autosport .

In Autosport own driver review they (paraphrasing here) are saying Kubica did a good job to get as close to Russell as he did in qualifying in what is an ill handling chassis and that's it's impossible to compare race pace when Kubica car is so obviously not behaving the way Russell is.

Think we need to wait and see before making any judgements

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Infoanon wrote: »
    Already signed for 2020.
    There is a known fundamental fault with Kubica chassis along with a shortage of spare parts - source Autosport .

In Autosport own driver review they (paraphrasing here) are saying Kubica did a good job to get as close to Russell as he did in qualifying in what is an ill handling chassis and that's it's impossible to compare race pace when Kubica car is so obviously not behaving the way Russell is.

Think we need to wait and see before making any judgements

what would be diferent between teammates chasis. have they removed something to allow him better access etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

what would be diferent between teammates chasis. have they removed something to allow him better access etc

The team dont know. Thats why they had George Russell start the Bahrain test in Kubica's car. To try and see how he did in it. And unsuprisingly Russell then ended up slower than Kubica when Kubica hopped into his own car later on.

Edit- While searching for proof of this I located this "The discrepancies between the cars were revealed as an 8 per cent difference in aero balance front/rear under braking despite the same settings. Kubica’s car aero balance migrated much further forwards than did Russell’s, making it more of an oversteering handful between turn-in and apex. There could be many reasons for this, but it suggests a difference in torsional stiffness between the chassis. Again, the hurried build of the cars may have played its part in this."

Kubica's car is literally worse than Russell's and Russells is a fairly awful benchmark to be behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Think the story we were fed by the press about how quick the Ferrari was this year and how much the Merc would be under pressure is looking more and more like false reporting to drum up attention and interest.

Granted Bahrain suited Ferrari more and they were unlucky not to get two podiums but three races in and three top 2 finishes for Merc. It seems just too comfortable for them.

Every week there is a build up and talk of the Ferrari pace, then Merc takes the foot off for practice and when qualy and race day comes around just hit the gas and look so dominant.

Hopefully Bottas can at least make a competition out of it rather than Lewis strolling to another. Maybe I'm wrong and Ferrari will come back but it's not looking great.

The midfield could at least be interesting, would love Renault to make a bit of a leap too. If one race Daniel managed to finish ahead of Max it would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Kubica is doing a bloody good job considering how rubbish that car is, which was proven by Russell himself driving it.

Paddy Lowe & Claire Williams have a lot to answer for, I just hope that Patrick Head can at least do something to ease the damage, the season was a write off before it even began.

As for Kubica finishing 16 seconds behind Russell yesterday despite one less stop, was it that he was told conserve the car due to the lack of spare parts?

Robert was due to join Ferrari in 2012, how long the contract was for I don’t know.

As for 2011, he was fastest on the final day of testing, Petrov/Heidfeld/Senna wouldn’t have gotten near him then.

And to note again that Williams did it again during FP1 in China where the drivers swapped and Russell (in Kubica's car) was again behind Kubica (who was in Russells). So they still haven't been able to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

pjohnson wrote: »
    And to note again that Williams did it again during FP1 in China where the drivers swapped and Russell (in Kubica's car) was again behind Kubica (who was in Russells). So they still haven't been able to rectify it.

You are allowed to swap cars during the official weekend? :confused:

Harika wrote: »
    You are allowed to swap cars during the official weekend? :confused:

I seen it earlier but cant find the link again now. Found another however that mentioned Kubica got updates that had been meant for Russell so maybe it was a mangled translation and it was some of Russell's updates he had on his car Friday?

They are a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If Williams cannot produce another chassis at this stage of the season, they may as well go home.
    Kubica has right to be very annoyed if what we are hearing about his car is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Was in Monaco today and they're starting to set up for the race next month. Absolutely nuts how much work goes into putting it all together, and then taking it down every year.

Got it down to a fine art though I must say. Proper handy to have slots for the barrier posts to just slide into place in the road already.

Edit: link to some pics I took

http://imgur.com/gallery/HNSupDc

flazio wrote: »

I didnt know DC had already replaced Gasly at RB good thing Webber was available. They are so ruthless with drivers. :P

Actually meant to asky why is Claire Williams referred to as "Deputy" Team Principal? Frank is Team Owner but coulda sworn he stepped down from the Principal side years ago. She is deputy to no one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Actually meant to asky why is Claire Williams referred to as "Deputy" Team Principal? Frank is Team Owner but coulda sworn he stepped down from the Principal side years ago. She is deputy to no one?

Frank Williams is still the official team prinicipal - https://www.formula1.com/en/teams/Williams.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Anjobe wrote: »
    Frank Williams is still the official team prinicipal - https://www.formula1.com/en/teams/Williams.html.

Probably only one of 100 pointless things you'd find going on in there if you visited for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Glico Man wrote: »
    Was in Monaco today and they're starting to set up for the race next month. Absolutely nuts how much work goes into putting it all together, and then taking it down every year.

Got it down to a fine art though I must say. Proper handy to have slots for the barrier posts to just slide into place in the road already.

Edit: link to some pics I took

http://imgur.com/gallery/HNSupDc

Was fortunate enough to head to the qualifying before when I lived nearby. Got to see Leclerc in the lower levels too.

It is some show they put on! Was sitting at Portier Corner and was nearly burnt alive though with the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Contracts can be broken. I think he needs to improve his race, as opposed to qualifying, performance. He finished sixteen seconds behind Russell despite having one less pitstop on Sunday. The method he has developed for turning the steering wheel is effective up to a point but he must be losing a lot of time through the corners and chicanes in comparison to his fully able bodied competitors. Williams are not going to keep him on if he remains so far adrift in the latter stages of the season.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Contracts can be broken. I think he needs to improve his race, as opposed to qualifying, performance. He finished sixteen seconds behind Russell despite having one less pitstop on Sunday. The method he has developed for turning the steering wheel is effective up to a point but he must be losing a lot of time through the corners and chicanes in comparison to his fully able bodied competitors. Williams are not going to keep him on if he remains so far adrift in the latter stages of the season.

Well if they sack Kubica lord help whoever else gets tasked with trying the drive literally the worst car on the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Well if they sack Kubica lord help whoever else gets tasked with trying the drive literally the worst car on the grid.

Step forward Esteban Ocon in that case. Mercedes weren't prepared to pay the price to get Ocon that seat in the first place however, plus it would cost Williams alot of money they don't currently have to terminate Kubica's contract. I suspect that Kubica was conserving the car so close to the end of the race hence the gap, but it still doesn't answer the question as to why 2 identically set up cars are responding so differently. I don't even think the Minardi's were this bad even when points were only offered down to 6th place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement