Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2019 tickets selling fast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

EC1000 wrote: »
    A participants view of whether an event is world class or not depends on their experience of participating in that event and how it is run on the day. Whether something is broadcast on one, five or no countries does not prevent someone from experiencing a world class race.

The topic progressed on to broadcasting, hence the rationale of bringing that particular requirement to attention.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    The Great Ireland Run is an Iaaf Silver label event and is a shambles most of the time, the only reason it has that label is because of the huge money paid in appearance fees to world class athletes and such by Brendan Foster and the great run company. Just because you cant get an IAAF label doesn't mean you don't have an exceptionally well organised race. The IAAF label is more akin to races that huge sponsors or commercial backing and are basically firing money at the event.

I don't think I've heard anyone refer to Dublin as one of the best in the World but that doesn't mean it isn't well organised or a verly high level European or World marathon. In the last decade, the race has had a Russian national record, An Olympic Silver Medalist and a 2:08 Kenyan run it, you think those kind of guys show up to a good national marathon?

I can easily compare, having completed 2 Gold Label Marathons. Personal experience, personal opinion.

You can point to the above winners but they are the exception, not the rule. Again, it is a very good event and race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I would like point towards the IAAF Road Race Labels: Gold, Silver Bronze.
    Broadcast Requirements
    3.14.1 All races shall endeavour to achieve the widest possible television coverage of the race. This shall include: domestic coverage of at least 2 hours for a Marathon (and pro-rata for shorter events) and broadcast (live, delayed or highlights) and/or free streaming Internet coverage of the full race to broadcast standard. Internet usage (viewers) shall be authenticated by
    audited statistics (example: Hitbox or other industry standard auditing).
    3.14.2 Gold Label Races must be able to document full coverage of the race as
    above in at least five different countries by supplying details of at least five
    international broadcasters distributing the race coverage.
    3.14.3 Silver Label Races must be able to document domestic TV coverage of the
    full race by a national TV channel.
    3.14.4 Bronze Label Races should make available highlights of their event to
    national TV broadcasters where possible.

Dublin doesn't make the list because of this and a number of other factors. The truth is that while DCM is a good quality national race, it is very far from the international or 'world-class' event some people make it out to be.
    I wouldn't say very far, a step behind maybe but not a million miles. It's still for me the best of all the marathons I have ran. Some things can be improved of course. A proper tracking system and foil blankets at the finish being 2 within the organisers control. Some other things that could be improved are outside the organisers control such as public transport, road surface and accommodation availability and costs.. If Dublin was a better city Dublin Marathon would be a better marathon but they play the cards they have been dealt. They have improved it over the years and will continue to do so I believe so it's an event to take pride in rather than detract from.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say very far, a step behind maybe but not a million miles. It's still for me the best of all the marathons I have ran. Some things can be improved of course. A proper tracking system and foil blankets at the finish being 2 within the organisers control. Some other things that could be improved are outside the organisers control such as public transport, road surface and accommodation availability and costs.. If Dublin was a better city Dublin Marathon would be a better marathon but they play the cards they have been dealt. They have improved it over the years and will continue to do so I believe so it's an event to take pride in rather than detract from.

For sure.

I just brought the labelling system into the discussion due to the nature of the discussion. There would be nobody happier than myself to see the marathon progress and be broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I can easily compare, having completed 2 Gold Label Marathons. Personal experience, personal opinion.

You can point to the above winners but they are the exception, not the rule. Again, it is a very good event and race.

You are comparing to races which have probably close to 100 times the budget of the DCM. Nobody is saying DCM is on the level of a Berlin or Rotterdam, it can't possibly compare to them, they ARE the most major races on the planet. Outside of those hugely funded races, the DCM compares massively well against other European and World marathons when it comes to competition and everything else.

• Advertisement

You are comparing to races which have probably close to 100 times the budget of the DCM. Nobody is saying DCM is on the level of a Berlin or Rotterdam, it can't possibly compare to them, they ARE the most major races on the planet. Outside of those hugely funded races, the DCM compares massively well against other European and World marathons when it comes to competition and everything else.

With all respect, I would have to completely disagree.

I am a huge fan of DCM and don't want to derail the thread. It is great to see marathon running and running in general grow and prosper.

I am a huge fan of DCM and don't want to derail the thread. It is great to see marathon running and running in general grow and prosper.

You just agreed with ultrapercy who said pretty much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I don't think DCM needs foil blankets at the end, what a waste that would be. You have your bag back within 5-10 minutes max, the last thing DCM needs is another 20k foil blankets going into a landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You disagree that it compares to other European and wold marathons?

Why doesn't it? Because it isn't live on RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dublin has higher numbers than Rotterdam, Brighton, and Bournemouth. It's a much better event than the Great Ireland Run.

But even if issues like the route and broadcast coverage could be resolved, I don't know if the organisers would be interested in giving up the Irish prize pool to get an IAAF badge.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Dublin has higher numbers than Rotterdam, Brighton, and Bournemouth. It's a much better event than the Great Ireland Run.

But even if issues like the route and broadcast coverage could be resolved, I don't know if the organisers would be interested in giving up the Irish prize pool to get an IAAF badge.

Yeah, agree but Rotterdam makes huge money from sponsorship as it was where the World's best went to run World records since the late 70's early 80's because it was the flattest marathons in the World back then and coverage from those early days on made it huge investment interest for compasnies when it comes to things like DR was talking about.

I agree with on the second point which is why I was saying labels aren't everything in judging a race.

Wait, I'm not sure what's going on here, I'm pretty sure we agree completely but I get the feeling I'm been disagreed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

RayCun wrote: »

Yeah, agree but Rotterdam makes huge money from sponsorship as it was where the World's best went to run World records since the late 70's early 80's because it was the flattest marathons in the World back then and coverage from those early days on made it huge investment interest for compasnies when it comes to things like DR was talking about.

I agree with on the second point which is why I was saying labels aren't everything in judging a race.

Wait, I'm not sure what's going on here, I'm pretty sure we agree completely but I get the feeling I'm been disagreed with?
    Are lot of factors go into making up the race experience and different people rank those factors differently. For me Dublin ticks all the most important boxes in organisation like efficient entry system and number pick up, friendly and helpfull staff , good course relative to city topography, feed stations, atmosphere and organised finish area etc on these factors it is on a par with any marathon Berlin and Rotherham included. There are frilly bits that Dublin is a step behind on such as tracker. Then there are the factors of city infrastructure and prohibitive broadcasting costs which they are bound by but can't change. It's a very Irish thing to say "look how good they are and sure mussha poor us" but Dublin Marathon is just a step behind some of the biggest events in Europe and indeed the world from a participant point of view at least. Hopefully the TV situation will continue to change to a point where highlights athe least are broadcast because I believe the event deserves that exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For sure.

I just brought the labelling system into the discussion due to the nature of the discussion. There would be nobody happier than myself to see the marathon progress and be broadcast.

The youtube broadcasting this year was excellent and this is the way forward.
    You will see alot of marathons going this way.

I would prefer to see the Dublin marathon stop spending money to bring foreign athletes here. If they want to come let them come at their own cost, they bring nothing to the race.

Would prefer to see the Irish runners contesting it and getting a good pay day for their hard work

I would prefer to see the Dublin marathon stop spending money to bring foreign athletes here. If they want to come let them come at their own cost, they bring nothing to the race.

Would prefer to see the Irish runners contesting it and getting a good pay day for their hard work

They are stuck in the middle, really.

The options are -

-Get the fastest athletes possible (budget etc.)
    -Invite no one

The have chosen a different option: athletes just faster than the Irish competitiors (obviously giving the Irish a target). I am very open to correction but that is my reading of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

You do realise that many can’t just show up. In order to get a visa they have to be invited

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rubadub73

Obviously I’ve been living under a rock for the last month but missed getting an entry this year. Anyone who wants a good home for an entry please let me know. I’ve done it 4 times, missed 2018 but was really looking forward to trying to break sub 3 again in 2019.

You do realise that many can’t just show up. In order to get a visa they have to be invited

Yes, but having a joe soap from Kenya running it, brings nothing to the race. So its a waste of money. They don't actually try to connect with the people.
    Can you not invite them without paying for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rubadub73 wrote: »
    Obviously I’ve been living under a rock for the last month but missed getting an entry this year. Anyone who wants a good home for an entry please let me know. I’ve done it 4 times, missed 2018 but was really looking forward to trying to break sub 3 again in 2019.

They are introducing a refund system for the 2019 marathon, so entries will be on sale again.
    Person to person transfers are not allowed by the race or this forum.

Yes, but having a joe soap from Kenya running it, brings nothing to the race. So its a waste of money. They don't actually try to connect with the people.

Having a race with 20,000 people; in capital city; within a national competition; with a global banking brand as sponsor.......not having an elite field? If that is the limit of ambition well, I just don't know anymore. A glorified fun run.

Having someone run 2.05-2.09/2.25-2.30 female should be the target but I realise I am in the minority on that account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Pretty sure a lot of people got a good bit from Eliud Too both your average Joe and people here.

How about the fact that the debut of the olympic silver medalist in Rio, a man who has been a an important figure for human rights in Ethiopia occurred in this race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

Yes, 2011 was the one year when they did the broadcast. You just proved my point.

Just tell me, please, how I would benefit from a change in entry structure?

Sorry what point did you prove?

The question was rhetorical!

Should also be noted back then RTE we’re making the content themselves and not simply selling the production and airing it. Wonder how many people would be willing to pay an extra 20e approx per entry (conservative figure IIRC) to cover this cost??

I don't know why some of you are so dead set on making us feel grateful that we get to enter the DCM at the price its at.

Why in Gods name should the punter have to dig deep for another 20 euro when you have KBC sponsoring it and the money from the added tourism plus the money from it selling out.

In my opinion there needs to be some kind of give and take. At the moment with the changed structure of upping the price every couple of thousand and selling out before people even know if they can train is only benefiting the DCM.

I have ''heard'' about the a refund, is it in place? I also heard that you won't get a full refund so no wonder people prefer swapping and selling their numbers.

I actually think its a bit cheeky really the way they're selling out, changing structure and have done nothing for us.
    But you still have people there banging on about how much insurance costs and gardai, road closures. They had to do all that before they changed the structure and sold out. If anything they have it better now closing everything on a Sunday rather a Monday.

Having a race with 20,000 people; in capital city; within a national competition; with a global banking brand as sponsor.......not having an elite field? If that is the limit of ambition well, I just don't know anymore. A glorified fun run.

Having someone run 2.05-2.09/2.25-2.30 female should be the target but I realise I am in the minority on that account.

I wouldn't call that ambition, i'd call it common sense.

Definitely there would be a big push for it to be televised if you had some stars running in it.

There would be uproar if some of the top gunners were running and there was only a 15 minute clip on TG3.

It would only add to the tourism and saleability of the marathon and Dublin as well.

Its really not that much of a long shot, the marathon is already 5th biggest in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Having a race with 20,000 people; in capital city; within a national competition;

The national competition is run within the Dublin marathon not vice versa.

The national competition is run within the Dublin marathon not vice versa.

Whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Good points. Be great to see a 2.05.

But not sure what that brings to the race.

Dublin can’t compete with the majors for fast elites. The 2nd tiers don’t bring a lot, neither fast times nor name recognition.

Aughney said: “There’s no point us bringing in, say, a woman who has run 2:25 and who will just demoralise the Irish because they can’t get anywhere near her.”

I don’t think it’s a lack of ambition rather than acknowledging the reality and carving out a niche for Dublin. And bringing on Irish marathoners in the process. I thinks that’s classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

M.m.m. wrote: »
    Whats the difference?

Dublin marathon committee organize the marathon and then facilitate the AAI by allowing them to hold their national championships in the Dublin marathon. The AAI don’t organize the marathon at all!

Djoucer wrote: »
    Good points. Be great to see a 2.05.

But not sure what that brings to the race.

Dublin can’t compete with the majors for fast elites. The 2nd tiers don’t bring a lot, neither fast times nor name recognition.

Aughney said: “There’s no point us bringing in, say, a woman who has run 2:25 and who will just demoralise the Irish because they can’t get anywhere near her.”

I don’t think it’s a lack of ambition rather than acknowledging the reality and carving out a niche for Dublin. And bringing on Irish marathoners in the process. I thinks that’s classy.

Sure we know the Irish men and women are going to be beaten every year as always so why not see it done by someone who's impressively fast.
    We should feel in awe of these runners not demoralised, grateful to see such calibre running in our race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

M.m.m. wrote: »
    Sure we know the Irish men and women are going to be beaten every year as always so why not see it done by someone who's impressively fast.
    We should feel in awe of these runners not demoralised, grateful to see such calibre running in our race.

True. But those impressively fast people aren’t going to come to Dublin.

Why be a poor man’s Berlin or London?

Why not be Dublin. The friendly marathon that sends Irish runners to the olympics and sells out 10 months in advance?

Not saying you’re wrong. It’s a good debate.

Advertisement