Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2019 tickets selling fast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I went to RWC in 2015. I couldnt get to Cardiff for one of Irelands games. I popped back onto RWC2015 website. Stuck my ticket up for sale and 2 days later it was purchased by someone else. I got my money back, except the €3 processing fee. A new ticket was issued to the new buyer for a processing fee of €3 and the ticket price was paid back to my credit card

Simple. Its basic software these days. DCM should be able to offer a service in a window (August for example).

That would be great but I don't hold out much hope of that. They won't change much seeing that they're fully subscribed. I think they population budget as well. I don't think the course can cope with a full 20,000 so they bank on X amount not showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

squinn2912 wrote:
    That would be great but I don't hold out much hope of that. They won't change much seeing that they're fully subscribed. I think they population budget as well. I don't think the course can cope with a full 20,000 so they bank on X amount not showing up.

Selling out so early I'd be surprised if there's more 15K on the day ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

perfect, at least 5,000 more bar stools free on Baggot street.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

ted1 wrote: »
    Really? So they upped the price to everyone just to offer KBC customers a discount.
    Kind if pi55ed off with KBC also have they really sold out or are they keeping places backnfir customers?

KBC is sponsoring this, so they have made the tickets cheaper than if there was no corporate sponsor

KBC have 250 tickets for their customers. So just over 1% of the entire race entry. So I think neither the discount nor the number of tickets is meaningful in the big picture of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

ted1 wrote: »
    So they upped the price to everyone

No they didn't, it's the same price as last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's pretty much what they would want/expect. They probably couldn't handle 20,000 participants but they know pretty much how many will no show based on previous experience, most races would sell more entries knowing there will be an amount of no-shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I don't actually mind having missed sign up. I MIGHT consider it if there are more entries released in the spring and my running is going ok. Anyone else glad the pressure is off? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

thereality wrote: »
    KBC is sponsoring this, so they have made the tickets cheaper than if there was no corporate sponsor

KBC have 250 tickets for their customers. So just over 1% of the entire race entry. So I think neither the discount nor the number of tickets is meaningful in the big picture of things

well thats not true, i remember when there was no sponsor and the prices were cheaper compared to the set-up for the last two years.

I love seeing DCM doing so well but when you think about it. They havent put anything into it for the punter since they changed to Sunday or got sponsorship back.

Unless Im missing something.

They've changed the structure so that you get penalised financially if you dont enter straight away.
    Theres no t.v. coverage like there was years ago.
    I know we stream now but the likes of London still put it on t.v.
    Its a national heritage thing.

If KBC is so wondering maybe this year the punter will see some kind of return from them.

Or are they on board for the advertising?
    20,000 sell out, tourists from abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

They’ve consistently put on a world class event for years. It now sells out in December. They’ve introduced refunds.

They’ve introduced the marathon mission, time bonuses for Irish athletes.

They broadcast 10 hours live of the marathon.

I’ll even give them credit for the perfect weather over the last fews years given how good the organisation is.

Djoucer wrote: »
    They’ve consistently put on a world class event for years. It now sells out in December. They’ve introduced refunds.

They’ve introduced the marathon mission, time bonuses for Irish athletes.

They broadcast 10 hours live of the marathon.

I’ll even give them credit for the perfect weather over the last fews years given how good the organisation is.

Have they introduced refunds?

Are the marathon mission guys being funded by DCM?

How much is it to broadcast 10 hours of the marathon on a stream?

All purely curious questions, since I didnt realise any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

M.m.m. wrote: »
    They've changed the structure so that you get penalised financially if you dont enter straight away.

Utter nonsense.

1) The price was always tiered, it's just that the tiers used to be for what month you signed up for rather than how many runners had signed up already, but the fact that you tend to pay more when you sign up later hasn't changed at all.

2) TV coverage was for one single year only, when the then sponsor specifically paid RTE for it. Blame our national broadcaster for charging a mind-boggling fee for covering the marathon, not the organisers who cannot justify paying that kind of money.

It’s probably worth reading this fantastic interview about the marathon.

Covers quite a lot, including tv coverage.

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/dublin-marathon/the-explosive-growth-of-the-dublin-marathon/21153

well thats not true, i remember when there was no sponsor and the prices were cheaper compared to the set-up for the last two years.

If KBC is so wondering maybe this year the punter will see some kind of return from them.

Or are they on board for the advertising?
    20,000 sell out, tourists from abroad.
    Utter nonsense.

1) The price was always tiered, it's just that the tiers used to be for what month you signed up for rather than how many runners had signed up already, but the fact that you tend to pay more when you sign up later hasn't changed at all.

2) TV coverage was for one single year only, when the then sponsor specifically paid RTE for it. Blame our national broadcaster for charging a mind-boggling fee for covering the marathon, not the organisers who cannot justify paying that kind of money.

Quite frankly I dont have time for this nonsensical justification of the exploitation of run loving tax paying individuals.

Why change the entry structure, is it to benefit you Mr Blundertorfer?

I was speaking about the marathon in 2011, years ago, maybe not to you!

Quite frankly I dont have time for this nonsensical justification of the exploitation of run loving tax paying individuals.

Yes, 2011 was the one year when they did the broadcast. You just proved my point.

Just tell me, please, how I would benefit from a change in entry structure?

Yes, 2011 was the one year when they did the broadcast. You just proved my point.

Just tell me, please, how I would benefit from a change in entry structure?

The marathon was broadcast live loads of times. There’s a few up on YouTube.

The marathon was broadcast live loads of times. There’s a few up on YouTube.

In the 80s, yes, which was before my time.
    Since I first ran it in 2004, the only year it was broadcast live on TV was 2011. The were highlights in other years, on RTE and/or Setanta Sports, but no live broadcasts.

Update: The only ones I can see on Youtube are 1989, 1990 and 2018 (which was streamed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What has “tax paying” got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What has “tax paying” got to do with anything?

Because if you do you are entitled to give out about all and any private companies you willingly agree to sign up to do such is your given right they should be bending over backwards to make sure that you get more value than what you pay for so that you actually are saving money by putting them through the hassle of organizing said service.

Damn those capitalists pigs for providing services!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

In the 80s, yes, which was before my time.
    Since I first ran it in 2004, the only year it was broadcast live on TV was 2011. The were highlights in other years, on RTE and/or Setanta Sports, but no live broadcasts.

Update: The only ones I can see on Youtube are 1989, 1990 and 2018 (which was streamed).

Should also be noted back then RTE we’re making the content themselves and not simply selling the production and airing it. Wonder how many people would be willing to pay an extra 20e approx per entry (conservative figure IIRC) to cover this cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I found the the steaming fine as an alternative and it was focused between the elite runners and the rest of the field a lot of the time the big marathons on TV focus purely on the first 20 or so.
    It was great watching the Dublin marathon on YouTube as ever so often you would see a familiar head pop up and we enjoyed watching it back after it was over.
    I don’t run it myself the other half does and I bring the family up to watch.
    One big improvement needed is public transport on the day ... the luas is unusable because of the crowd and a lot of trains cancelled this year because of maintenance schedules .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

If anybody is deeply unhappy about the event, there is nothing to stop you going out and running 26.2 miles on your own and stopping for a few mouthfuls of water, timing yourself, etc, etc.

The DCM is a fantastic event to be part of, the 20k entries should be happy to be part of it! It is an excellently ran event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

TV coverage is a simple equation: can costs be exceeded by advertising sales during the broadcast? It used to be that RTE were willing to provide such coverage at a net loss as it is only a semi-commercial organisation subsidised by license fee but this public service ethos has eroded due to cost and other pressures, not least of which is competition from other broadcasters for the advertising 'pie'. That said, RTE has lost so many of its sporting rights that athletics is beginning to look more attractive, with some fairly decent coverage of national events in recent years. If the marathon continues to grow in popularity, more importantly with the viewing public than with participants, the economics might change and we might get more live or highlight coverage. In the meantime, lower cost streaming coverage is filling the gap nicely and DCM continues to improve in this area, with some obvious investment this year especially.

If anybody is deeply unhappy about the event, there is nothing to stop you going out and running 26.2 miles on your own and stopping for a few mouthfuls of water, timing yourself, etc, etc.

The DCM is a fantastic event to be part of, the 20k entries should be happy to be part of it! It is an excellently ran event.

This!

Or they can sign up and run low-key, very cheap events with the likes of MCI or EOI, both of which I can heartily recommend but if you think it's the same experience as DCM then you'd be sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I would like point towards the IAAF Road Race Labels: Gold, Silver Bronze.
    Broadcast Requirements
    3.14.1 All races shall endeavour to achieve the widest possible television coverage of the race. This shall include: domestic coverage of at least 2 hours for a Marathon (and pro-rata for shorter events) and broadcast (live, delayed or highlights) and/or free streaming Internet coverage of the full race to broadcast standard. Internet usage (viewers) shall be authenticated by
    audited statistics (example: Hitbox or other industry standard auditing).
    3.14.2 Gold Label Races must be able to document full coverage of the race as
    above in at least five different countries by supplying details of at least five
    international broadcasters distributing the race coverage.
    3.14.3 Silver Label Races must be able to document domestic TV coverage of the
    full race by a national TV channel.
    3.14.4 Bronze Label Races should make available highlights of their event to
    national TV broadcasters where possible.

Dublin doesn't make the list because of this and a number of other factors. The truth is that while DCM is a good quality national race, it is very far from the international or 'world-class' event some people make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dublin doesn't make the list because of this and a number of other factors. The truth is that while DCM is a good quality national race, it is very far from the international or 'world-class' event some people make it out to be.

Dublin would probably qualify as a Bronze level race on the broadcast requirements? "make available highlights of their event to
    national TV broadcasters where possible"

I think this year it also satisfied the elite field requirement of at least five men from at least four countries running under 2:16, and 5 women from 4 countries under 2:38)

I wonder does it meet the road closures requirement
    The whole course must be closed to vehicular traffic, with the exclusion of
    official vehicles, for the duration of the event until the published cut-off time.
    The Start will be traffic free until the last runner has started and the Finish will
    be traffic free until the last runner finishes or the cut-off time is reached.
    3.7.2 In the case of dual carriageways, only the carriageway on which the
    participants will run needs be closed to vehicular traffic.

for the section beside the Stillorgan dual carraigeway, and maybe the road section in Walkinstown?

That’s a pretty terrible way to judge a race in my opinion. More to do with revenue than being punter friendly.

Dublin marathon have already said they’re not interested in attracting the top Africans as it does little for the race or irish athletes.

You have the majors and there’s v little room for any more races to join that list.

Outside the majors, Dublin holds its own and have taken great initiatives such as broadcasting entire race online.

RayCun wrote: »
    Dublin would probably qualify as a Bronze level race on the broadcast requirements? "make available highlights of their event to
    national TV broadcasters where possible"

I think this year it also satisfied the elite field requirement of at least five men from at least four countries running under 2:16, and 5 women from 4 countries under 2:38)

I wonder does it meet the road closures requirement

for the section beside the Stillorgan dual carraigeway, and maybe the road section in Walkinstown?

Yeah, several sections of the course would cause issues.

Also an issue -
    4. Prize Money / Awards
    4.1 Prize money offered to competitors, including bonuses for times achieved shall be equal for all competitors regardless of their nationality or gender – in other words prize money for places should be equal for men and women and for nationals of the host country and athletes of other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

The truth is that while DCM is a good quality national race, it is very far from the international or 'world-class' event some people make it out to be.

A participants view of whether an event is world class or not depends on their experience of participating in that event and how it is run on the day. Whether something is broadcast on one, five or no countries does not prevent someone from experiencing a world class race.

That’s a pretty terrible way to judge a race in my opinion. More to do with revenue than being punter friendly.

Dublin marathon have already said they’re not interested in attracting the top Africans as it does little for the race or irish athletes.

You have the majors and there’s v little room for any more races to join that list.

Outside the majors, Dublin holds its own and have taken great initiatives such as broadcasting entire race online.

Are you being serious?

The IAAF Road Labelling System is a 'terrible way to judge a race'?

My word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

The Great Ireland Run is an Iaaf Silver label event and is a shambles most of the time, the only reason it has that label is because of the huge money paid in appearance fees to world class athletes and such by Brendan Foster and the great run company. Just because you cant get an IAAF label doesn't mean you don't have an exceptionally well organised race. The IAAF label is more akin to races that huge sponsors or commercial backing and are basically firing money at the event.

I don't think I've heard anyone refer to Dublin as one of the best in the World but that doesn't mean it isn't well organised or a verly high level European or World marathon. In the last decade, the race has had a Russian national record, An Olympic Silver Medalist and a 2:08 Kenyan run it, you think those kind of guys show up to a good national marathon?

Advertisement