Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2019 tickets selling fast

Options
  • 30-11-2018 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

It’s kind of ridiculous to be posting this a month after the 2018 marathon but tickets for 2019 look like they will sell out very early this year. Sales are over 16,000 (of 20,000) and the organizers say they will all be gone by Christmas. They’re at the higher price of €90 already.

Quote from Twitter:

KBC Dublin Marathon
    @dublinmarathon
    Nov 27
    Registration for the 2019 #KBCDublinMarathon only opened on the 1st Nov & we’ve already sold 16,000 entries! We’re down now to the final 4,000 so if you’re thinking about signing up then don’t leave it too late .. it will sell out before Christmas

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Down to 2,000 places left now...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

waiting on a KBC discount code. Hope its not sold out before i get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

In! But, Fee + that name/time tag thing = €111 :eek: Wow been a few years since I've entered any marathon but that's a fair hike since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Irishder wrote: »
    waiting on a KBC discount code. Hope its not sold out before i get it!!

If you want to enter, do it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Or chance getting one of returned ones next Summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

In myself.

I’d say the rush is on now once it reached less than 2,000

Just onto KBC. They said that once they confirm that i am a customer they have a place regardless if it is sold out prior to them issuing me with a code.

I'd just feel better if i got a code prior to it selling out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Irishder wrote: »
    Just onto KBC. They said that once they confirm that i am a customer they have a place regardless if it is sold out prior to them issuing me with a code.

I'd just feel better if i got a code prior to it selling out

The discount is substantial (50 instead of 93) but is it worth it if it sells out any KBC don’t come through?

I know. Its my first marathon as well. I suppose i have it in writing they they will give me a place once they confirm that i am a customer (Why it takes a week is beyond me).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

quick question folks--does any of the fee go to charity! thought of this-re 20000 x €70 average = €1.4 million give or take..where does the money all go?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Wonder if this will impact the 2019 novices thread. Bound to be some people on boards, but may not even know of this forum. Suppose they can follow the boards or HHN1 plans and find another Autumn marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

wiggy123 wrote: »
    quick question folks--does any of the fee go to charity! thought of this-re 20000 x €70 average = €1.4 million give or take..where does the money all go?

Just out of interest, why should it be important if some of the fee goes to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

where does the money all go?

10 WATER STATIONS, USING 140,000 BOTTLES OF CELTIC PURE WATER
    4 LUCOZADE STATIONS USING 43,000 BOTTLES OF 380ML LUCOZADE
    2 HIGH5 STATIONS USING 21,000 GELS
    OVER 1000 VOLUNTEERS ON DUTY ON RACE DAY
    372 TOILETS USED
    2,890 BARRIERS USED
    1842 TRAFFIC CONES USED

over 50,000 euro in prizes, I've no idea how much more in time bonuses

and that's just scratching the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

RayCun wrote: »
    10 WATER STATIONS, USING 140,000 BOTTLES OF CELTIC PURE WATER
    4 LUCOZADE STATIONS USING 43,000 BOTTLES OF 380ML LUCOZADE
    2 HIGH5 STATIONS USING 21,000 GELS
    OVER 1000 VOLUNTEERS ON DUTY ON RACE DAY
    372 TOILETS USED
    2,890 BARRIERS USED
    1842 TRAFFIC CONES USED

over 50,000 euro in prizes, I've no idea how much more in time bonuses

and that's just scratching the surface

Gardai
    RDS hire
    Medical Services
    Timing
    Entertainment
    Generator hire
    Marquees

20k Medals, tops, bags, numbers with chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I heard a couple of years ago that closing down the roads for the race n Dublin costs in the region of 500k in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A few more...

Engineers to certify that all temporary structures (gantries etc.)are safe
    Post event cleanup
    Administration of entry signup
    Data storage, data security
    Pacers: gear, dinner, accommodation, stipen, one drink ;)
    Course measurement and recertification if any changes

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

This is a fair question and hasn’t been answered yet. Does any portion go to charity?
    Not saying whether any should or not, just wondering. Did it myself this year and really enjoyed it.
    I come from cycling background, and we have no event as big as DCM, but most mass participation cycling events here have excess fees over costs going to charity. Ring of Kerry, which gets a bit of bad press lately, has 10 benefitting charities. A smaller event (700 odd participants, cost 25-35 euro) which my club runs has all excess after costs distributed to local charity (about 50% goes on costs).
    The big Ironman events are obviously for profit.
    Just wondering where does DCM fit, are surpluses retained and ploughed back in? I know over the years it would have struggled to cover itself, and always needed sponsorship, but seems in rude health lately.
    All the people at water stops etc are volunteers I believe? Suggests charitable benefit to me but I may be wrong.
    Anyway it’s a great event which I really enjoyed, and I know there are massive costs and need for some full time professional staff. Not trying to be negative in any way, just curious, as wiggy123 was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    This is a fair question and hasn’t been answered yet. Does any portion go to charity?
    Not saying whether any should or not, just wondering. Did it myself this year and really enjoyed it.
    I come from cycling background, and we have no event as big as DCM, but most mass participation cycling events here have excess fees over costs going to charity. Ring of Kerry, which gets a bit of bad press lately, has 10 benefitting charities. A smaller event (700 odd participants, cost 25-35 euro) which my club runs has all excess after costs distributed to local charity (about 50% goes on costs).
    The big Ironman events are obviously for profit.
    Just wondering where does DCM fit, are surpluses retained and ploughed back in? I know over the years it would have struggled to cover itself, and always needed sponsorship, but seems in rude health lately.
    All the people at water stops etc are volunteers I believe? Suggests charitable benefit to me but I may be wrong.
    Anyway it’s a great event which I really enjoyed, and I know there are massive costs and need for some full time professional staff. Not trying to be negative in any way, just curious, as wiggy123 was.

The Dublin marathon donates money to the clubs who have volunteers, they give so much per volunteer. Athletics Ireland also make money out of it from the entry into the national championship. Money is also ploughed into the marathon mission to help developing athletes sustain training. The organisation in itself is a non-profit entity so no one makes money out of it, the guys running it are there as volunteers as well.

The charities already benefit from people running the race and fundraising, I don't know if the DCM directly donates to outside charities but I don't think it's a big deal if not, they are donating money into clubs and athletics in the country which imo is exactly where they money should be going. Athletics clubs in general are pretty much charitable organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

DCM is not a charity organization. That being said it’s admin and wage costs are a lot less than majority of charities that money is raised for.

I do believe however that all discarded clothing at start is donated to charities as well as the money pumped back into time bonuses and club volunteer payments and marathon mission so a lot of money is DIRECTLY pumped back into sport without the dilution if beaucracy

The Dublin marathon donates money to the clubs who have volunteers, they give so much per volunteer. Athletics Ireland also make money out of it from the entry into the national championship. Money is also ploughed into the marathon mission to help developing athletes sustain training. The organisation in itself is a non-profit entity so no one makes money out of it, the guys running it are there as volunteers as well.

The charities already benefit from people running the race and fundraising, I don't know if the DCM directly donates to outside charities but I don't think it's a big deal if not, they are donating money into clubs and athletics in the country which imo is exactly where they money should be going. Athletics clubs in general are pretty much charitable organisations.[/quote]

Kinda figured it worked something like this, but wasn’t sure.
    It’s a great Organisation and one would be kinda proud of our City marathon and the atmosphere on the day.

• Advertisement

[/quote] The Dublin marathon donates money to the clubs who have volunteers, they give so much per volunteer. Athletics Ireland also make money out of it from the entry into the national championship. Money is also ploughed into the marathon mission to help developing athletes sustain training. The organisation in itself is a non-profit entity so no one makes money out of it, the guys running it are there as volunteers as well.

The charities already benefit from people running the race and fundraising, I don't know if the DCM directly donates to outside charities but I don't think it's a big deal if not, they are donating money into clubs and athletics in the country which imo is exactly where they money should be going. Athletics clubs in general are pretty much charitable organisations.[/quote]

Kinda figured it worked something like this, but wasn’t sure.
    It’s a great Organisation and one would be kinda proud of our City marathon and the atmosphere on the day.

As well as clubs, DCM also draws volunteers from parkrun, mostly to work on bag drop I believe, and donates a fairly decent amount per volunteer to parkrun in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

I was just asking the question...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Yes and you got an answer which is the whole point of questions.

I think the charity aspect can get people riled up a little here because there has been many races masquerading as "charity" events over the years despite donating as little as less than 1% per entry fee or worse yet those that say charity event despite simply offering donation cards for people to raise additional funds.

Charity is a huge business in this country and while some good does come from it no doubt the money going directly to projects and actions is a small portion of sums that get raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Wonder if this will impact the 2019 novices thread. Bound to be some people on boards, but may not even know of this forum. Suppose they can follow the boards or HHN1 plans and find another Autumn marathon.

Very good point. This will be sold out long before the mentored thread starts up...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

And I think anyone who has run a marathon has been asked, "What charity are you running it for?", as if the race only exists to facilitate fundraising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A fair question.

Like any consumer or service item, it is very fair to ask how your money/entry fee is spent.

Unfortunately, there are three types of races in Ireland, hence the ambiguity:
    1) Commercial Race (for profit)
    2) Charity Race or Club Race (volunteer based)
    3) Commercial Race masquerading as Charity Race

Type 3) causes the hostility.

It is always a fair request to ask 'how is my money spent'. I get asked that very question and always welcome it.

I think DCM do a largely good job but some races fall victim to Type 3.

And among charity races, there are some where it’s not clear what the charity (ie organisation with charitable status) is actually using the money for. Research? Administration? Salaries? Travel costs? One of our very high profile ‘charity’ races falls into this category.

• Advertisement

3) Commercial Race masquerading as Charity Race

Type 3) causes the hostility.

It is always a fair request to ask 'how is my money spent'. I get asked that very question and always welcome it.

I think DCM do a largely good job but some races fall victim to Type 3.

Came across a prime example of this today.

Specifically say that funds raised go to charity and to be fair last year they did donate 5,500 however there are a number of things they fail to mention

- this figure includes money raised from free entry with 50e sponsor (as well as any extra raised beyond the 50e threshold)

- doesnt include extra revenue from tshirt and virtual run option effectively means you get a medal in the post for not showing up. Funnily enough this medal is provided by a virtual run company run by the race organiser (which is not a charity organisation to the best of my knowledge.

Despite the good PR around the novelty cheque donation the maths on this really don't stack up in favour of the organisers.

Advertisement