Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

unkel wrote: »
    They are tethered only. And come in either 5m or 8m only. I have asked myenergi but they won't make a 15m tethered one for me.

I think I'd be getting a type 2 socket and bodging it on to the side of the charger. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

unkel wrote: »
    They are tethered only. And come in either 5m or 8m only. I have asked myenergi but they won't make a 15m tethered one for me.
    You can buy reels of the same cable, could you replace it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I probably could. But I would have to either butcher my own 15m cable or buy a length of 15m cable plus one connector. And that would all add up to silly money. EUR585 for the charger, EUR200 for the cable, then someone to install it...

It would nearly be cheaper just to charge the car at night rate and let my excess go back to the grid for free.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You'd probably void whatever warranty is on the zappi if you did that too I'd imagine.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You'd probably void whatever warranty is on the zappi if you did that too I'd imagine.

Possibly. And with the latest spate of issues with the Zappi products, that would be a bad idea.

If anyone has any other suggestions to smart charge my car with surplus PV, let me know :)

• Advertisement

Possibly, they're just terminal connectors inside (same as the mains connection) and a screwable grommet at the bottom so no damage would be done.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just got the zappi installed this evening.

I have no solar PV or anything, should I just have it in eco mode the whole time so it adjust the draw as other appliances come on? I thought I should have it in fast mode as we don't have any renewables at the mo but we turned on the shower to see what would happen and it didn't seem to reduce the draw to the car when the shower kicked in so full draw in the house was 17kw while the shower was going :eek:

Fast mode but only during night rate hours (you can program your Ioniq to only charge during night rate)

Yeah I've set the scheduling in the car. The main thing I'm wondering though is does it still reduce current to the car on fast mode say if someone turns on the shower for example or does it only do that in eco/eco+ mode? The manual doesn't seem to clear on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭denismc

You can set the grid limit on your Zappi to whatever you want but 17kw seems too high .17kw should be enough to trip the main breaker in most houses.
    You can set the grid limit on your Zappi under advanced settings although I would have thought whoever did your install would have done this.
    The grid limit works in all modes.
    You can also set the timer on the Zappi to charge the car overnight.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've set the scheduling in the car. The main thing I'm wondering though is does it still reduce current to the car on fast mode say if someone turns on the shower for example or does it only do that in eco/eco+ mode? The manual doesn't seem to clear on this.

Eco and Eco+ are really only useful if you have PV,
    Grid limit controls your maximum load regardless of what mode you are in.

Looking at the manual the grid limit is off by default. Install was done by my usual electrician who wouldn't have had any experience of the zappi so probably wasn't aware of the setting.

He did think it shouldn't have allowed that high of a draw though and was going ringing my energi tomorrow when they open.

What would be a good number to set as the limit? 12 or so?

Looking at the manual the grid limit is off by default. Install was done by my usual electrician who wouldn't have had any experience of the zappi so probably wasn't aware of the setting.

He did think it shouldn't have allowed that high of a draw though and was going ringing my energi tomorrow when they open.

What would be a good number to set as the limit? 12 or so?

Yes 12 is plenty, most houses have a 63 amp main fuse, just check you don't have anything lower.

Nice one, thanks for the info.

Sorry, one last question. The grid limit setting appears to be in amps rather than KW if I'm not mistaken, so what should I set it to? (main fuse is definitely 63amp). I put it to 40 thinking that should be safe enough, but is a bit lower than it needs to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

63Amp's at 230V is just shy of 14.5kVA

Electricity is supplied at 230V here.
    My zappi has the import limit as kVA and not amps.

I'll have to have another look. It's quite annoying, their manual and any info they have online only mentions KW when talking about the grid limit.

I thought it was kW, I will check mine when I am home.

Maybe its lack of knowledge on my part but below is what it shows in grid limit. I put it to the lowest setting since and that stopped the car from preconditioning when I boiled the kettle.

When I saw the 'A' I assumed it was amps? What number do most people have theirs set to?

hDsozFgl.jpg

So here is my settings screen, which shows the grid limit in kW.
    It looks like your device has the latest firmware version and mine is an older version, hence the difference.
    If you are still not sure about this, give Myenergi a ring, they are usually quick to respond.

• Advertisement

Anyone solve the problem where the rubber cap gets filled with water in the rain? It's causing what seems to be copper corrosion on our one. Thinking of getting a holster so it can be angled so the rain doesn't gather, but I'm wondering would a hole punched in the cap be enough to let the water out, might void the warranty though?

1tndlg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

TheChizler wrote: »
    Anyone solve the problem where the rubber cap gets filled with water in the rain? It's causing what seems to be copper corrosion on our one. Thinking of getting a holster so it can be angled so the rain doesn't gather, but I'm wondering would a hole punched in the cap be enough to let the water out, might void the warranty though?

1tndlg.jpg

I had this problem. I contacted myenergi and they stated that they now include a holster with each Zappi ordered to prevent this. They sent me out a holster free of charge. No issues with water ingress now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I had this problem. I contacted myenergi and they stated that they now include a holster with each Zappi ordered to prevent this. They sent me out a holster free of charge. No issues with water ingress now.

So the holster is waterproof? I didn't install my holster yet. Electrician reckoned the rubber cover would be better

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So the holster is waterproof? I didn't install my holster yet. Electrician reckoned the rubber cover would be better

There is no rubber seal or similar in the holster so I can't see how it is strictly waterproof but it is keeping the rain out much better than the cap. Logically, one would think that the cap would be better than the holster but that is certainly not the case for me.

Cheers I'll do exactly that! I got it from Electric Autos but I'll contact myenergi first. The problem is when the plug hangs down the cap acts like a container, even a trickle of water would fill it quickly. The holster would ensure it's always upright so water can't get in.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Cheers I'll do exactly that! I got it from Electric Autos but I'll contact myenergi first. The problem is when the plug hangs down the cap acts like a container, even a trickle of water would fill it quickly. The holster would ensure it's always upright so water can't get in.

I also bought mine from Phil also but I contacted myenergi directly. No issues and dealt with quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

This is one of the reasons why I want to get one untethered.
    Problem is that they are not released until May, and my grant runs out then...so could be a push to get it done.

Decisions decisions.

daheff wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons why I want to get one untethered.
    Problem is that they are not released until May, and my grant runs out then...so could be a push to get it done.

Decisions decisions.

You can cancel the current application and reapply.

I got a holster in the box with mine from electric autos. I think any water just drains out of the holster so you don't get that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Funnily enough the rubber cover attached to the charger was completely lodged with water Saturday and the blue residue seen in the photos above were visible on mine.

More worryingly was that the Zappi was showing an error - "Ground Fault - Disconnect EV and reset Zappi" which I did, multiple times after letting the head air dry but to no avail.

Electrician is coming around later to have a look. He said they did install a ground wire alright so it could be the water issue that caused this?

I might try a hair dryer to dry out the head properly (with the zappi is fully disconnected from the mains obviously :) )

Holster being installed soon hopefully :)

Advertisement