Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭cannco253

Does anyone know how to check on the zappi if the "update from cloud" is switched on or off?

My zappi wasn't showing correct consumption figures on the app/website and myenergi had to switch it back "on" in order for the app to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Apologies for the x-post but thought this might be a more appropriate thread.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121414835/#Comment_121414835

I have a Zappi v2 and a Tesla Model S and I started having problems last week and now the Zappi won't charge the car. I got an error one morning after the overnight charge attempt saying the voltage was too high or something. i checked the readings at the time and nothing seemed out of order. I updated the latest Zappi firmware to 5.402 and tried again but it starts charging - i.e. Zappi goes green but the current never goes up beyond 3A before going back to 0 and after a while the Zappi and the car both give up and car says Charge failed. The Zappi retries a few times and then gives up.

The car is charging fine on DC and on the 11kW ESB charger near the house.I looked online and it could be one of several things:

The onboard charger has given up the ghost

"Dirty power" and a software update that now causes the onboard charger to protect itself and refuse to charge - i.e. the charger electronics are not the best and to prevent damage the software update now refuses to charge.

Poor connection on the Zappi.

2 seems unlikely since I haven't had any issues for 3 years - apart from a Zappi cable that was changed under warranty in August.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Also if anyone in north city Dublin (D3 or D5) has a Zappi v2 I could try my car with or has a Tesla Model S (or even another EV) that they wouldn't mind trying to charge at my house I would much appreciate it. Please send me a PM if you are willing to help out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭CivilEx

You say your firmware is 5.402, but the latest firmware on my Zappi is 5.416. it might be worth running through the upgrade firmware settings again and rule firmware out as an issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mine is 5.402 too.

But I’ve a V2 too, like the OP.

if you have the newer one then the 5.416 is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Is there anyone in Ireland capable of fixing out of warranty Zappi units ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭electricus

My Zappi has stopped working properly after 2 years. It’s showing intermittent comms errors and no grid CT. Sometimes it changes ok but other times it only goes to 1.4kW.

I don’t think updating to the latest firmware helped (or maybe it revealed the problem).

Myenergi support were very helpful and after some diagnostics said they would replace it - luckily I’m still in warranty!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

the V5 update seems to have caused a lot of issues on the older units. And most of them are out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭electricus

Yeah, I mentioned it because I first saw the issue after updating the firmware. Support got me to do a factory reset and update hoping it might fix it, but no luck there.

If I was aware of it and close to the end of my warranty then I would’ve considered extending. Luckily it happened now and not in a few months time (as usually happens!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I've a 3.5 year old Zappi and I got a "Flash WEL Failed" error. Anyone go through this?

It happened last night while charging, but the unit was still charging with the error displayed.

Nope, haven't seen this but have a look through the Zappi myenergi.info forum - they tend to have in depth threads on these specific error messages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Thanks, I'll have look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

Zappi must have a far better PR department than Rolec.

Rolec got some very bad press originally and suffered reputational damage back in the day due to the supplied early model 40A RCBOs burning out in their 'dump' wallpods and needing replacement, which in real terms was an easy €30-40 fix of a part that arguably Rolec should just not have included and just left to the electrician to source.

Now a few years later it appears that Zappis are almost guaranteed to have some sort of issue eventually and you're only hope is to be still covered by warranty, and people are still almost falling over themselves to buy them.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

I installed a Zappi, based upon the recommendation of a friend who has one and because my plan is to integrate with a solar installation next year.

I also know though that any of these charging units are not cheap to fix if (when) they stop working where DIY fixes are not really appropriate with electricity, so I bought the extended warranty (3 years originally + 2 years extended).

Advertisement