Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I've just been reading up about drills these past few weeks. So far I have done them within the front garden before I set off. There's just about enough shrubbery around to hide me... Also, the dark mornings are a bonus here too!

My fav is the carioca. I can't do it without smiling. I guess it appeals to the ballet dancer in me. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

There's just about enough shrubbery around to hide me... Also, the dark mornings are a bonus here too!

I just wear a large floppy hat, overcoat and over-sized shades........

coogy wrote: »
    I just wear a large floppy hat, overcoat and over-sized shades........

Ha ha!
    So that was you I saw this morning.....

Hi folks,

just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to approach the 6 x 3 min CV w/3 min rec?

I'm pretty ok with the actual pace and it looks straightforward enough. Will be doing the usual couple of miles warm up/cool down either side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi folks,

just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to approach the 6 x 3 min CV w/3 min rec?

I'm pretty ok with the actual pace and it looks straightforward enough. Will be doing the usual couple of miles warm up/cool down either side too.

I just did it yesterday Coogy. Very straight forward really though I went too fast. I usually work out how long the session will take (36 mins in this case) and then roughly plan my warm up and cool down to take me up to an hours run on session days. It’s a lovely session. Enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I usually work out how long the session will take (36 mins in this case) and then roughly plan my warm up and cool down to take me up to an hours run on session days.

Thanks K!

I was thinking exactly the same. Had my first early morning start with the kids back in school and seemed to work out just about ok time wise, although I did fall asleep on the bus this morning on the way to work and missed my stop by a good 15 minutes!! :rolleyes:
    Might start looking at doing some of weekly runs in the evening, what with the brighter evenings coming in......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

coogy wrote:
    I was thinking exactly the same. Had my first early morning start with the kids back in school and seemed to work out just about ok time wise, although I did fall asleep on the bus this morning on the way to work and missed my stop by a good 15 minutes!! Might start looking at doing some of weekly runs in the evening, what with the brighter evenings coming in......

Can you runmute K?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Can you runmute K?

I have done runmutes before V but I'm not sure it would work for tomorrow's session. I would have to bus it part of the way and run the rest. Not an option tomorrow anyway as I have an early meeting in work. :(

coogy wrote:
    I have done runmutes before V but I'm not sure it would work for tomorrow's session. I would have to bus it part of the way and run the rest. Not an option tomorrow anyway as I have an early meeting in work.

Oh sorry I just meant in general for the easy runs if you were trying to do more evenings. Had forgotten you did some before.

Oh sorry I just meant in general for the easy runs if you were trying to do more evenings. Had forgotten you did some before.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely consider more of them for the longer runs during the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Oh yeah, I'd definitely consider more of them for the longer runs during the week!

Trying to figure out a system where I can runmute myself.... Seems like a great way of getting out of traffic and getting extra miles in

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Trying to figure out a system where I can runmute myself.... Seems like a great way of getting out of traffic and getting extra miles in

I would definitely recommend it. If I was better organised I would probably do it a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You don’t even have to be that organised - decent backpack and away you go.

Huzzah! wrote:
    You don’t even have to be that organised - decent backpack and away you go.

I saw some in Lidl last night actually that looked daycent enough...not girly enough for me though :)

Can you runmute K?

Runmute this evening it is!!!! :D

Got up this morning for an early run and just before I was about to leave the house I realised that I'd left my Garmin in work. Phone wasn't charged either.......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Is it weird that I really enjoyed that CV session of the plan this morning?

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Is it weird that I really enjoyed that CV session of the plan this morning?

Not at all!!

I was only chatting to someone at work about doing this too. I'm waiting until the bright mornings return to give it a try.

For those that runmute, do you run both into work and home again, so it's two runs a day, or just run one way and maybe cycle the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I was only chatting to someone at work about doing this too. I'm waiting until the bright mornings return to give it a try.

For those that runmute, do you run both into work and home again, so it's two runs a day, or just run one way and maybe cycle the other?
    I run one way and walk the other (but I live close enough to work to walk in and out every day normally). I know some people run one way and bus the other.
    I've tried running in and out and wasn't a huge fan. You're getting into doubles then and it seems to be a whole other ball game! I'd rather run home one day and run in the next morning, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

some weeks:
    cycle in, run home
    run in, run home
    run in, cycle home
    cycle in, run home
    run in, cycle home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I run in (part of the way) some mornings, as its a handy way to get a long run in. Have clothes in the day before, and then just get off the bus around Lucan and pick any of a number of routes to bring the distance up. I find it a good way to get a 20odd k run in without taking time out of my day.....and its great getting into work with that under your belt.

I'm considering the cycle/run pattern. I need to get myself a bike first though!
    I'll give it a try in a few weeks and see how I get on. Unfortunately it won't be an option for me during the winter months because of the route I'd be taking. I may as well try it while I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

.....and its great getting into work with that under your belt.
    Absolutely. I find doing it in the reverse direction is brilliant for de-stressing after the work day too. Particularly if you've had a frustrating day for whatever reason, you get it all out on the run and arrive home in a much calmer mood :pac:

If I was doing a runmute, I'd have to bus it part of the way, get off around Liffey Valley and run the rest of the way into city centre.

If I ran in all the way from home, it would probably add another 30 mins onto a 60 min easy/very easy run. Not sure that's wise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Bus in, run home for me. Bus is reliable in the morning and a shambles in the evening, so that's one of the reasons I don't do a run home, run in schedule.

Bus took 90 minutes to get home the other night. Even I'm quicker than that!

Walk, bus or luas for me in the morning, run home in the evening. Have run in the odd time but I find I'm stressing about getting to work in time so evening is preferred!

Quick question about the Bohermeen half next weekend....

I'm signed up for it and also Manchester in 37 days (!) I'm wondering if I should run Bohermeen at MP or go all out. From trawling through previous threads it seems many who are running spring marathons don't race it.
    My gut is telling me to race Bohermeen. Is that wrong? I'd love to see have I improved at all since my last half.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Quick question about the Bohermeen half next weekend....

I'm signed up for it and also Manchester in 37 days (!) I'm wondering if I should run Bohermeen at MP or go all out. From trawling through previous threads it seems many who are running spring marathons don't race it.
    My gut is telling me to race Bohermeen. Is that wrong? I'd love to see have I improved at all since my last half.
    Thanks

If you decide to race it your realistically looking at a full weeks recovery next week which might throw your marathon training off kilter. It’s entirely your decision of course but if it was me and the marathon was the main thing i’d be running Bohermeen at MP at the very quickest.

OOnegative wrote: »
    If you decide to race it your realistically looking at a full weeks recovery next week which might throw your marathon training off kilter. It’s entirely your decision of course but if it was me and the marathon was the main thing i’d be running Bohermeen at MP at the very quickest.

Thanks for the speedy reply OOnegative. Yup, what you said backs up everything I've read in previous threads.
    Yes Manchester is the main thing. There will be other half's later on I guess.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Quick question regarding “hill training” to build endurance- should i be building my mid week runs around a route with a good elevation or is there enough endurance in the beginners Marathon plan to keep me honest?

Advertisement