Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Hi OOnegative,
    Just looking to make sure I am in fact training correctly for my goals- I plugged in my goal time of Marathon 4:10 to the pacing calculator when I began the basic grads plan, am I correct or am I undercooking my training times as Trim was 87mins....should I be readjusting training times? Or as is the norm I am overthinking this :rolleyes:

and just to add....I finished trim with very little left in the tank if I am honest!

Train to current fitness so use your Trim time now to calculate your training paces. And that’s how to run a race correctly, with very little left in the tank, shows you gave full effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    You should use the most recent one.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Train to current fitness so use your Trim time now to calculate your training paces. And that’s how to run a race correctly, with very little left in the tank, shows you gave full effort.

Great- thanks!

...Just checked the revised pacings.....very little difference....but glad I asked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I'd appreciate some advice on sessions!!!
    Have a session penciled in for tomorrow
    Looks like it's going to be windy although it will hopefully clear up by the evening.I've read here that if you're not doing the same speed for all the sessions it's no good.... So if its windy and you can't get to your target pace on some sessions is it a waste? Or is the fact that the effort is the same OK?

Also what's the convention on rests between repeats.... I've always walked them (e.g. 2mins walking between 1m repeats)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be windy although it will hopefully clear up by the evening.I've read here that if you're not doing the same speed for all the sessions it's no good.... So if its windy and you can't get to your target pace on some sessions is it a waste? Or is the fact that the effort is the same OK?

Also what's the convention on rests between repeats.... I've always walked them (e.g. 2mins walking between 1m repeats)

On a windy day I’d just be happy enough with effort if the wind is really strong.

Not sure what plan you are following but I slowly jog all the recoveries in the Grads plan anyway. I’ve never needed to walk in those sessions. On a previous plan I used have to walk as was fairly intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The effort level can be kept the same. Don't kill yourself into a headwind to try to hit a pace. Are they 1 mile or 1 minute repeats? I got advice to consider walking after some really fast 1 minute repeats if needed. On the longer tempo/ threshold stuff I would try to slowly jog the recovery. I was also told that some distance/ pace combinations are designed to be done fully rested, others not. Who suggested the set up of the repeats?

• Advertisement

Cheers guys... Its a mcmillan 10k plan that I found here. They're mile repeats - sorry about that! I'm on wk 3 so doing 1x 2m followed by 4x 1m. It's tough but I like it!

First session on the prog (2wks ago) was 6x 1m and I took 2mins walking breaks in between. Doing the repeats at 10k pace about 7min miles. Was planning on a 5min break after the 2mile!

Do these on a looped Rd so will probably have a mix of head and tail wind.... Maybe it'll just balance itself out!!!!!

Cheers guys... Its a mcmillan 10k plan that I found here. They're mile repeats - sorry about that! I'm on wk 3 so doing 1x 2m followed by 4x 1m. It's tough but I like it!

First session on the prog (2wks ago) was 6x 1m and I took 2mins walking breaks in between. Doing the repeats at 10k pace about 7min miles. Was planning on a 5min break after the 2mile!

Do these on a looped Rd so will probably have a mix of head and tail wind.... Maybe it'll just balance itself out!!!!!

Stay consistent as the lads said, we all tend to get a bit ragged and try force pace when running into a headwind. Keep it controlled & don’t fret if the pace drops somewhat, it will even itself out as you say. 5 minute break seems fine after the 2 mile, I would keep it active as possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

OOnegative wrote: »
    Stay consistent as the lads said, we all tend to get a bit ragged and try force pace when running into a headwind. Keep it controlled & don’t fret if the pace drops somewhat, it will even itself out as you say. 5 minute break seems fine after the 2 mile, I would keep it active as possible though.

This reminds me of something i read on here i think, probably something Testosterscone said - "train don't strain". It's something i remind myself of regularly during sessions especially the faster pace ones.

Good luck with the session Hedgehoggy. I was thinking about the same as i'm supposed to be doing a session this evening, it's hard not to get caught up in the numbers on the watch.

Just an example. On Strava last evening I saw a couple of lads doing 5*1 mile repeats at a club session. They weren't doing recovery based on time, they were simply to be fully recovered before starting the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    This reminds me of something i read on here i think, probably something Testosterscone said - "train don't strain". It's something i remind myself of regularly during sessions especially the faster pace ones.

Took me a few go's to realise this! Had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't competing in the 100m olympic final!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

OOnegative wrote:
    With Raheny & Trim done and dusted, anybody care to divulge what lies ahead now? Many sign up for DCM? Applegirl is in middle of marathon training already, fair play!! Huzzah has unfinished business this weekend in Enniscorthy!!

First race I've signed up for is Craughwell 10k on 24 March, but considering a 5k before then to see where I'm at and what I can aim for? Options are either a trail type one on 3rd March or the St Patrick's one which is 18th - bit close?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    First race I've signed up for is Craughwell 10k on 24 March, but considering a 5k before then to see where I'm at and what I can aim for? Options are either a trail type one on 3rd March or the St Patrick's one which is 18th - bit close?

I’d say the one on the 18th might be a bit close, 5k’s don’t impact as much as 10mile/Half/Full, but i’d prefer to be as fresh as possible going into a goal race rather than cursing at the end the effort I put into a 5k 6 days previous. Others will say there’s plenty of time between races, just how I feel on it.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just an example. On Strava last evening I saw a couple of lads doing 5*1 mile repeats at a club session. They weren't doing recovery based on time, they were simply to be fully recovered before starting the next one

Thanks for all the advice. I still have a lot to learn about this running malarkey!!!

Did the session.... Was pretty bad! Hailstones in the face, wind, rain.... Most of the intervals were way off but mentally I think it was good to have stuck it out!!

I read on another thread recently that some degree of tiredness during a training plan is to be expected.

I experienced this yesterday and immediately started to panic (ok, I didn't panic....but it rang alarm bells with me).

After almost 6 weeks of consistent running, I suppose it is to be expected.

I know there's a question in there somewhere..........:o

coogy wrote: »
    I read on another thread recently that some degree of tiredness during a training plan is to be expected.

I experienced this yesterday and immediately started to panic (ok, I didn't panic....but it rang alarm bells with me).

After almost 6 weeks of consistent running, I suppose it is to be expected.

I know there's a question in there somewhere..........:o

There isn't a clear answer to the question that might be there! :pac: Different plans will induce more tiredness and the amount of preparedness before beginning the plan will also influence fatigue levels. Real life can leave you tired too. Never be afraid to take a rest day if you think it would help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

coogy wrote:

I've kinda come to recognise two types of tiredness; one where I'm just exhausted from everything including work, life, running and just need to rest.

And then the contented tiredness from getting a fair few good weeks of training in a row. I like that one :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I've kinda come to recognise two types of tiredness; one where I'm just exhausted from everything including work, life, running and just need to rest.

And then the contented tiredness from getting a fair few good weeks of training in a row. I like that one :)

Yeah, I enjoy the latter also!

As for the tiredness from 'life stuff', I don't experience it very often (even though life, generally is hectic), or maybe I do and I just don't acknowledge it. :confused:

Anyway, feeling more alive today as a result of an early night last night. Still, will put off today's run till tomorrow I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    Anyway, feeling more alive today as a result of an early night last night. Still, will put off today's run till tomorrow I reckon!

Nice to see a runner take the sensible option. There's a lot more to be gained from the odd day off than lost, especially if the body is telling you something.

There isn't a clear answer to the question that might be there! :pac: Different plans will induce more tiredness and the amount of preparedness before beginning the plan will also influence fatigue levels. Real life can leave you tired too. Never be afraid to take a rest day if you think it would help you.

Thanks S.
    Normally, I wouldn't think anything of it but yesterday, I couldn't tell if it was tiredness or some lack of form/fitness.

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks S.
    Normally, I wouldn't think anything of it but yesterday, I couldn't tell if it was tiredness or some lack of form/fitness.

Don't worry about it. The tiredness may or may not be training related but it will pass. You have 6 weeks of training done now but it did start after a few weeks of doing relatively little training. The body might be feeling it.

I'd rule out a drop/lack fitness wise as the plan you are following is very balanced, allows for recovery and has very easy days. You won't regress while following it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Well hi all just wanted to check in I'm still hanging around and keeping an eye. Ye are all doing fantastic.

I'm still running away 3/4 times a week. I had a look at the plans back in November/December time and I just couldn't face into 4/5 nites a week and all the different paces etc. So I've just been plodding along myself and I'm really happy with my times. In the 25s regularly for 5ks and a 41.56pb for my 8k. I'm back with my fit for life running group and enjoying getting out with them.

Have an 8k, 2*10k, 16 k in the next 6 wks and going doing lisdoonvarna half May 11th. I'll have to build a spare room for the medal collection. I'm unsure yet if I'll start a half marathon plan or if I'll stick with my shorter runs mid wk and just add on an LSR.

But for now I'm just enjoying it all. Keep up the good work all.

Helenasca wrote: »
    Well hi all just wanted to check in I'm still hanging around and keeping an eye. Ye are all doing fantastic.

I'm still running away 3/4 times a week. I had a look at the plans back in November/December time and I just couldn't face into 4/5 nites a week and all the different paces etc. So I've just been plodding along myself and I'm really happy with my times. In the 25s regularly for 5ks and a 41.56pb for my 8k. I'm back with my fit for life running group and enjoying getting out with them.

Have an 8k, 2*10k, 16 k in the next 6 wks and going doing lisdoonvarna half May 11th. I'll have to build a spare room for the medal collection. I'm unsure yet if I'll start a half marathon plan or if I'll stick with my shorter runs mid wk and just add on an LSR.

But for now I'm just enjoying it all. Keep up the good work all.

Great to hear helenasca, keep enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yet another question from me - there’s a session coming up that has one minute at 110%; is that 110% of planned race pace or something else?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yet another question from me - there’s a session coming up that has one minute at 110%; is that 110% of planned race pace or something else?

Give it everything you have!!! No holding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Give it everything you have!!! No holding back.

Ah, I see. AFAF* pace. Thanks.

*as fast as f

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've a similar session related question. Next week I've 8x1 min hills. I've identified a suitable hill (6% gradient) but what should the effort/pace be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    I've a similar session related question. Next week I've 8x1 min hills. I've identified a suitable hill (6% gradient) but what should the effort/pace be like?

Fast enough where you are challenged but focus on form and posture and lifting those knees and powering up the hill. Enough effort that you'll manage all 8. Pick a point that you reach at the end of the first one and that's your target for the remaining 7. Forget about paces for this one. It should be tough but not so tough that your form goes out the window. But not so easy that you'd manage two or three more. A fine balance!

On the beginners Marathon plan, there’s a 3 hour easy run at week 11- at my current pace, this will be less than 18 miles. Going on last years novice plan, all the training was building to the 20 mile training run, will the extra miles during week 11 compensate for not hitting a 20miler?

On the beginners Marathon plan, there’s a 3 hour easy run at week 11- at my current pace, this will be less than 18 miles. Going on last years novice plan, all the training was building to the 20 mile training run, will the extra miles during week 11 compensate for not hitting a 20miler?

I'd say trust the plan. The body has no concept of distance covered. It does know if it's running for 3 hours. There are very few, if any, benefits of running for more than 3 hours. The plan is like a jigsaw...all the pieces come together to make the full picture.

• Advertisement

THT- trust the plan!!! I don’t think there really is a big issue with you going a couple of miles over though either. If it’s a physiological boost then i’d say do what makes you feel happy & comfortable.

Advertisement