Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Stopped it quick before PR went further south . Ridiculous decision from start .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Didn't hear one working class accent at those protests. Protests from schools from the richest areas of South Dublin. Most of em were mini D4s that sounded like Americans. And schools protests are irrelevant. Under 35s barely even vote, schoolchildren are going change things politically? Aye pull the other one. Greens only get votes from the rich. Their only TDs are in D4.

Parents area v rural constituency voted Green Councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Welcome to unemployment Liadh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

She will get a nice payout from Europe anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ní Riada has conceded defeat, the count turned out to be widening the gap against her.

Big loss for SF. Looks like presidential campaign exposure harmed her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Gael23 wrote: »
    Welcome to unemployment Liadh.

Don't worry she will get a generous package including a pension. Would expect she might try a GE run at some stage.
    Ní Riada has conceded defeat, the count turned out to be widening the gap against her.

A gap of 50 or even 100 should only qualify for a re-count. Had this gap been eliminated it would raise serious questions about counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Greens only get votes from the rich. Their only TDs are in D4.

You know these were local and European elections, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

SF Munster didn’t want a recount at all but were overruled by head office I heard from a sf source in clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Big loss for SF. Looks like presidential campaign exposure harmed her.

Anti-vax position, she then rolled back on during the prez campaign; that could have been pivotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Will Ní Riada's transfers affect the order in which the candidates are elected?

• Advertisement

bkrangle wrote: »
    Will Ní Riada's transfers affect the order in which the candidates are elected?

Big time they will.

I expect the knives will come out for Mary Lou now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pearse Doherty's decision to avoid the 'David Moyes' position looks cannier every day. He can spend the summer clearing a path for himself and the first general election will be a free pass.

Varadkar must be praying to all the Gods that brexit finds new momentum quick so he can capitalise on this. Micheal Martin probably won't need much convincing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Hurrache wrote: »
    You know these were local and European elections, right?

And they elected a councillor in that middle-class liberal stronghold that is Offaly, along with Westmeath:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Irish_local_elections#Results_by_council

One consequence if the Greens take the fourth seat, would be a Seanad by-election - interestingly, O'Sullivan defeated a Soc Dem candidate for the final seat on that panel, so a deal may well be done on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Was just reading an article in the Guardian over a bit of fallout from the European elections over in the UK. Depending on constituency as many as 90% of EU residents were effectively excluded from the vote it says.
    It seems a EU citizen living in another EU country now needs to declare their desire to vote in their country of residency as opposed to their home country as per some UC1 form. And that EU residents in the UK had not been informed about this in any sort of sufficient manner.

Why that got my interest is because I was also refused a vote in the European elections, but here in Ireland. And the explanation was the same.
    I was classed as 'potential EU' rather than 'EU' in the electoral register on the day. Something I hadn't checked up on for a long time. Especially since there never was a problem before and who checks the electoral register routinely anyway?
    When I was refused I was given a note with a council hotline which I rang and there I was told I never returned a UC1. Only I'm pretty certain I never received one and in fact never heard of a UC1 before.

I was a bit miffed with that on the day, but put it down to bad luck. Reading this I wonder are there more like me or many more even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

One consequence if the Greens take the fourth seat, would be a Seanad by-election - interestingly, O'Sullivan defeated a Soc Dem candidate for the final seat on that panel, so a deal may well be done on this occasion.

Does the government have a majority in the Seanad? If not then I doubt that they'll do any deal to facilitate any opposition party as they're still frantically trying to get Ross's Judicial Appointments Bill through!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Was just reading an article in the Guardian over a bit of fallout from the European elections over in the UK. Depending on constituency as many as 90% of EU residents were effectively excluded from the vote it says.
    It seems a EU citizen living in another EU country now needs to declare their desire to vote in their country of residency as opposed to their home country as per some UC1 form. And that EU residents in the UK had not been informed about this in any sort of sufficient manner.

Why that got my interest is because I was also refused a vote in the European elections, but here in Ireland. And the explanation was the same.
    I was classed as 'potential EU' rather than 'EU' in the electoral register on the day. Something I hadn't checked up on for a long time. Especially since there never was a problem before and who checks the electoral register routinely anyway?
    When I was refused I was given a note with a council hotline which I rang and there I was told I never returned a UC1. Only I'm pretty certain I never received one and in fact never heard of a UC1 before.

I was a bit miffed with that on the day, but put it down to bad luck. Reading this I wonder are there more like me or many more even?
    I'm in the UK and got sent a form without having to ask for it, as well as seeing numerous ads on facebook about the May 7th deadline.

Thus, I'm going to put it down to the Guardian trying to imply there was some concerted effort to stop EU citizens voting, which I don't think is true. The reality is probably that most people (myself included) remain primarily interested in 'our own' politics as opposed to getting involved abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nope, not how they do things in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Times has changed the headline, but damage has been done. Fair play to O'Sullivan, keeping them honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm in the UK and got sent a form without having to ask for it, as well as seeing numerous ads on facebook about the May 7th deadline.

Thus, I'm going to put it down to the Guardian trying to imply there was some concerted effort to stop EU citizens voting, which I don't think is true. The reality is probably that most people (myself included) remain primarily interested in 'our own' politics as opposed to getting involved abroad.

I don't know about the UK one way or the other, but I would never think there was any deliberate effort here. Only wondering was I just the unlucky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

robman60 wrote: »

I got the impression that the UK was just incompetent.

Certainly if people had issues here it should be looked into as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No Govt majority so not a hope - they didn't bodge one for Labour to retain Landys seat and arranged for a Unionist to get the SF one!

Probably be FF

• Registered Users Posts: 27,439 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Don't worry she will get a generous package including a pension. Would expect she might try a GE run at some stage.

A gap of 50 or even 100 should only qualify for a re-count. Had this gap been eliminated it would raise serious questions about counts.

Counting has been taking longer over the last few elections, as returning officers take more care over the counting process.

The Supreme Court decision on valid ballots has also brought clarity as to what is a spoiled vote, meaning that between the longer time, greater care and spoiled vote clarity, there is less room for mistakes now than in the past.

The biggest mistake that might happen is that a bundle of votes could end up in the wrong pile. This can be easily and quickly checked. and was done so even before SF called for a recount.

The chances of several hundred individual votes going missing, and doing so to favour or penalise one candidate are practically impossible, and would require a large conspiracy among tallymen from several parties, numerous counters and supervisors as well as the returning officer.

The local recount that saw one candidate win by one vote, then the votes being level before the other candidate won by one vote, is more indicative of the level of mistakes currently in the process, a tiny handful of votes one way or the other is the real limit on mistakes.

Poor call to initially seek a recount here.

blanch152 wrote: »

Poor call to initially seek a recount here.

I'm the anthitesis of a SF supporter, but I had absolutely no problem with them asking for a recount in a situation where their candidate was only 327 votes behind a rival after 18 counts in an election where 720,000 votes were cast.

Irrespective of the low probability of finding sufficient misplaced or miscounted votes to change the outcome, I strongly suspect that any candidate in a similar situation would have made the same request.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wonder if a rule might be brought in for such large numbers of votes, whereby a random sample are selected for recount (say 10% of the overall total to be recounted) and if a certain percentage of votes doesn't get identified as miscounted, then there won't be a full recount.

Announcement due in next few minutes.

And now Liadh copies Maria Bailey and plays the feminist card! :rolleyes:

"Ní Riada defends McDonald: ‘I wonder would a male get the same criticism?’

Evidently she has never used social media!

Liadh a stoirín, éist do bhéal agus fann ciúin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eamon Ryan *did* get the same criticism for his pointless recount in '14.

Advertisement