Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

eagle eye wrote: »
    Some European looks at what she said and finds out that she was 3 years old and living in the USA when Mary Robinson was elected and realises that she is full of lies.
    Then he sees she got elected.
    What should he think, that our MEP is a liar? Well it's true. That Irish people are not very smart? Well a certain amount of them appear to be because they voted for somebody who told lies and got caught out on it before the election.

She told a lie? Shocking!!!

No matter how much you try and make it one, this isn't a big thing.

If 'some European' sees what she said and realises it's a lie, they won't give a damn as it's the same stuff every politician comes out with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll bet SF decide not to demand the full recount. The logistics are crazy 28 days - working days is 5 and a half weeks when does the parliament being its new session?

Parliament doesn't sit until July

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

osarusan wrote:
    No matter how much you try and make it one, this isn't a big thing.
    Well it is a big thing because it was such a bad lie. It means she is not very smart. She came across in the debates as clueless too.
    If this is what you are happy with as an MEP representing Ireland then you have very low standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well it is a big thing because it was such a bad lie. It means she is not very smart. She came across in the debates as clueless too.
    If this is what you are happy with as an MEP representing Ireland then you have very low standards.

I'm not particularly happy with her as an MEP representing Ireland, because I can't see anything in her work/life history which suggests she has the skills or knowledge to do a particularly good job.

But her telling a lie about remembering something she doesn't really remember doesn't even register as an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Parliament doesn't sit until July

July 2nd - technically, the South MEPs won't be able to vote for the Parliament's President if the count indeed takes 28 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have to agree on all the Maria Walsh commentary. She hasn't come across well at all but having a high profile before coming into the race as well as a party backing has helped her no end.
    Tbf most of the MEPs have been running on thin air, her own rationale for voting for her seemed to be that if you were born in the 90s sure wasn't she born in the 90s too. And sure look at how progressive we are now - let's all keep being progressive with me being liberal and all. Absolute nonsense.
    Don't get me wrong she wasn't the only one.
    The point is the constituencies are so big that you will only ever have a profile by already being in the role or by making a profile for yourself by some other means, TV, Radio, Sport, memorable name, a memorable performance in a debate(even if the content wasn't that memorable)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Is there anywhere we can look at data of the vote ie where candidates got a good vote vs bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there anywhere we can look at data of the vote ie where candidates got a good vote vs bad?

Only tallies. Box by box data doesn't exist as the law requires mixing of votes before counting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

July 2nd - technically, the South MEPs won't be able to vote for the Parliament's President if the count indeed takes 28 working days.

All of the committee roles are being decided now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Sinn Fein getting some hammering on social media and beyond over this recount , turning into a PR disaster for a party that can least afford it . This recount if they go ahead on Tuesday won’t be dragging on long I reckon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-needs-to-cop-on-after-electoral-nosedive-mcdonald-1.3910810
    Sinn Féin needs to “cop on” to the lessons dealt out by its drubbing at the local and European elections, Mary Lou McDonald has admitted.

But the party president dismissed any questions over her stewardship of the rank and file, saying she would not stand down over the collapse in support.

“You can’t be a fair weather leader,” she said.

“If that were the case, the minute you hit turbulence you jump and you run - that is not how I am.

“I believe the real mettle of a leader is tested when things don’t go your way.”

As her party reflects on its bruising at the polls, Ms McDonald said she didn’t see it coming and has yet to work out what factors were chiefly to blame.

“Did I imagine we were going to have such a bad day out, such a disappointing result? The answer to that is no,” she said.

Ms McDonald said she could not attribute the poor performance to one single factor and was working with party colleagues nationally to explore the causes.

“It is easy to lead or be part of collective leadership when you’re on a surge or having a good day out,” she said.

“The real test of your commitment and your skill as a leader is when things don’t go your way.

“So all of us – myself included – need to have the humility to accept we had a bad day out and then we need to have the cop on, quite frankly, and wisdom to learn our lessons.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

decies wrote: »
    Sinn Fein getting some hammering on social media and beyond over this recount , turning into a PR disaster for a party that can least afford it . This recount if they go ahead on Tuesday won’t be dragging on long I reckon .

Much of that comment will be motivated by other politicos. I'm not a Shinner and I don't vote for them but they have every right to demand a recount and every other party in that situation would do the same. It won't alter the situation, Ni Riada is gone - the only question to be answered is the order of the seats and it's likely to be Kelly, Kelleher, Wallace, O'Sullivan and Clune in the Brexit seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

MFPM wrote: »
    It won't alter the situation, Ni Riada is gone

At the time of the presidential election, I remember ridiculing the idea put forward by some on here that SF were running Ni Riada to 'shore up' her position in the European parliament...it's now evident she needed every boost she could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I thought think she's on her way to being our very own. Forrest Gump

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

As she said, she has never been at a recount.

SF are hardly going to monitor their own vote looking for votes to be disallowed because of irregularities.

That is what her people should be doing.
    Bit naive on the part of the Green`s if they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

charlie14 wrote: »
    As she said, she has never been at a recount.

SF are hardly going to monitor their own vote looking for votes to be disallowed because of irregularities.

That is what her people should be doing.
    Bit naive on the part of the Green`s if they are not.

They are, as it turns out:

http://twitter.com/davitter/status/1135859270501748736

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

If Liadh loses her seat, then presumably some or all of her team of Assistants will be looking for new jobs!

So small wonder that they're desperately looking for errors in O'Sullivans vote!

If Liadh loses her seat, then presumably some or all of her team of Assistants will be looking for new jobs!

So small wonder that they're desperately looking for errors in O'Sullivans vote!

Kangaroo Court appearance first of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A throwaway comment from somebody who was never at a recount. I have seen scuffles and verbals aplenty at recounts over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

No surprise Sinn Fein intimidating tactics in Ireland south that’s would they are best at , just ask their former members .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kangaroo Court appearance first of course.

Enough of the quips, please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am not sure what folk were expecting at a recount? Surely they can't all be living in a bubble and it is hardly bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I don`t see what O`Sullivan`s problem is.

Sounds as if she has selective vision or she is not at the recount.

As I have often said before on Boards.ie I am not a SF supporter. In fact I have never voted SF at any level, but this kind of cheap headline grabbing and poor/biased journalism I find annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

charlie14 wrote: »

I don`t see what O`Sullivan`s problem is.

Sounds as if she has selective vision or she is not at the recount.

She's a Green Party candidate and thereby above all criticism.

And bear in mind that she's not running in this election for party political, egotistical or self interest reasons, but purely in order to help save the Planet.

decies wrote: »
    No surprise Sinn Fein intimidating tactics in Ireland south that’s would they are best at , just ask their former members .
    Settle down you'll get your green MEP fella, it will be a great day for Waterford, I'm sure she'll do a lot for you.

And bear in mind that she's not running in this election for party political, egotistical or self interest reasons, but purely in order to help save the Planet.
    They are a looney but loveable bunch the greens. Desperate for power, and really a bunch of arrogant charlatans like Eamon Ryan. Poshest party by far as well. Not many working class have the privilege of spending their days worried about climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

They are a looney but loveable bunch the greens. Desperate for power, and really a bunch of arrogant charlatans like Eamon Ryan. Poshest party by far as well. Not many working class have the privilege of spending their days worried about climate change.

All those marching on climate change issues should be told to check their privilege?

Everyone should be worried about it. Poor people also have children/grandchildren and they will likely will be screwed over far worse over the next century.

I am not saying they don't also have immediate problems that will screw them over but the greens seem like a weird one to place all this hate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Very naive of the greens the same happened to Katy Sinnott if I remember right at a recount against one of the big two, it has also happened at a few recounts before. I would have expected Green activists to be on site as well. However it was commented on that a large number of SF counsillors are unemployed as they were full time politicians. I suppose a good few around the south have a few free weeks at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ní Riada has conceded defeat, the count turned out to be widening the gap against her.

Advertisement