Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster, single-handedly and unintentionally paving the way forward for a UI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 score2020

sexmag wrote: »

She's playing a blinder in my opinion but fun to watch

judge all politicians fairly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't think it matters either way what Arlene Foster is doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Edit: sorry the title trailed off,guess I only have so many words

sexmag wrote: »

She's playing a blinder in my opinion but fun to watch

She cant make her mind up if it will be Dublin or Brussels who have control

i have to admit i have huge respect for her,
    she will stand for her community
    unlike the spineless snakes in ff and fg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Funny thing is a Dublin government would do a lot better job speaking up for their core industries than she would ever manage.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    Funny thing is a Dublin government would do a lot better job speaking up for their core industries than she would ever manage.

well said mate, very concise and clear text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

She is certainly making quite a plea for the south to help out the north by joining it as a united Ireland as part of the UK, solving the whole issue at a stroke. While she cannot come out and say it yet, May has to be praying for the same move from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

As a general rule, if the DUP are pissed off, then it can only be good for the rest of society.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Arlene is a good example of ideology overriding common sense.

She’ll probably die a UK citizen in a united Ireland save in the knowledge that by doing everything she could to protect Unionists she hastened their demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'd say she has a big set of balls on her that look like a hairy brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As a southern nationalist I won't see eye to eye with her on Irish constitutional issues but that doesn't stop me respecting her as a formidable lady. She was elected to a post and she is doing it well. I wouldn't play poker with her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

My secondary school 'home rule is to me rule' is coming back to me. Weren't the unionists afraid it would weaken the union with Britain? Glad to see they gold strong to their beliefs 100 years on :D

Aren't NI treated differently to the UK anyway? In relation to abortion and gay marriage aren't they different? Do the DUP want to legalise these two issues to bring themselves inline with the UK? And aren't the trade arrangements different with us than they are with the UK? So is what is being proposed really all that different to what already exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My secondary school 'home rule is to me rule' is coming back to me. Weren't the unionists afraid it would weaken the union with Britain? Glad to see they gold strong to their beliefs 100 years on :D

Aren't NI treated differently to the UK anyway? In relation to abortion and gay marriage aren't they different? Do the DUP want to legalise these two issues to bring themselves inline with the UK? And aren't the trade arrangements different with us than they are with the UK? So is what is being proposed really all that different to what already exists?

Add to that, there is already a border in the Irish sea in the sense that some items shipped into N. Ireland from other parts of the UK are checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

topper75 wrote: »
    She was elected to a post and she is doing it well.

Shes doing anything but. The post she was elected to is to sit in a power sharing assembly in Stormont. She hasn't darkened that door of there in over 2 years.
    Instead she's propping up a dysfunctional Tory Government in London.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is it, they have no problem being different when it suits their backwards beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are people posting here old enough to remember the absolute carnage on this island before the peace

All sides will have no problem going at it again

You don't want your kids to see that horror playing out everyday of the week

As a general rule, if the DUP are pissed off, then it can only be good for the rest of society.

DID YOUR LEADERS IN rte TELL YOU THAT

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Can't understand the people saying they disagree but have respect for her.

The woman is an out and out bigot. On the record sectarian, anti LGBT rights, equality for women. She wants NI to be treated the same as the UK when it suits her, except in the arena of social reform. She is a hypocrite and a right nasty piece of work serving a 1960s agenda. I have no respect for a person like that. She may be a "tough cookie" but she is incredibly unpleasant and regressive.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Can't understand the people saying they disagree but have respect for her.

The woman is an out and out bigot. On the record sectarian, anti LGBT rights, equality for women. She wants NI to be treated the same as the UK when it suits her, except in the arena of social reform. She is a hypocrite and a right nasty piece of work serving a 1960s agenda. I have no respect for a person like that. She may be a "tough cookie" but she is incredibly unpleasant and regressive.

Well articulated, how anyone can accord this woman praise is beyond me. An insignificant sectarian party propping up Theresa's government, disproportionate power abused to the hilt. Let's fawn over a bulldog chewing wasps.

Shes doing anything but. The post she was elected to is to sit in a power sharing assembly in Stormont. She hasn't darkened that door of there in over 2 years.

Of course. I wasn't referring to that!
    DUP leader. Has played a stormer. Even the collapsed executive fits their goal. She has been utterly true to their objective.

Most posters here have too much skin in the game and can't abstract to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

topper75 wrote: »
    Of course. I wasn't referring to that!
    DUP leader. Has played a stormer. Even the collapsed executive fits their goal. She has been utterly true to their objective.

Most posters here have too much skin in the game and can't abstract to see that.
    Yeah, but it's not a game. Playing dirty and ugly but winning the game is to be respected.

Playing dirty and ugly politics is not. Because it's not a game. Anyone who treats it as one should be considered a psychopath.

Arlene Foster is a disgusting human being who will happily rain misery on one group of people so long as it benefits "her" group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

Aren't NI treated differently to the UK anyway? In relation to abortion and
    gay marriage aren't they different? Do the DUP want to legalise these two
    issues to bring themselves inline with the UK? And aren't the trade
    arrangements different with us than they are with the UK? So is what is being
    proposed really all that different to what already exists?

Exactly, the DUP have a long history of going against their own principles and traditions when it suits them.

Back during the BSE crisis in the UK 20+ years ago. Big Ian suddenly decided that NI beef should be classed as Irish is one example that springs to mind. This was long before he turned into a chuckle brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Agricola wrote: »

Unless it involves people selling wood-burning boilers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Except for wasting the equivalent of over half a billion euro
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/q-a-what-is-the-northern-ireland-cash-for-ash-scheme-1.2907866

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I predict she will collapse the government and another election will be held and she will have no say whatsoever anymore,well not nearly as much as she has now propping up the government, she's cutting off her nose to spite her face!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

As regards the DUP and Arlene playing a blinder.

You would have to seriously wonder what their motives were for campaigning for a Yes vote for Brexit as this has put their basic unionist principal at risk in more ways than one. Their campaign and the money they spent (and not to mention where they got it from - There could be a whole other thread on this alone) could arguably be claimed to have made the difference to the final outcome.

They certainly don't seem to have taken Scotland into consideration and how close the last independence referendum was and the fact that EU membership is widely accepted to have played a big part in how Scottish people voted i.e. the risk that an Independent Scotland may no longer be an EU member.

Whatever about a united Ireland, you could certainly see Scotland having another referendum with a majority yes vote to independence (In the case of a hard or no deal Brexit) and that would end the union as it currently stands - A good part in thanks to the shortsightedness of Arlene and co

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The best I'll say for good ol' "Chuckles" Foster is that she just might, albeit however unwittingly, be partially responsible for forcing a second Brexit referendum over the road, one in which sanity would presumably prevail. That said and aside, the woman is, like many of her colleagues, a blinkered and incorrigible arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Suckler

score2020 wrote: »
    i have to admit i have huge respect for her,
    she will stand for her community
    unlike the spineless snakes in ff and fg

She'll stand for some in her community. She'll do her utmost to stand in the way of others in her community. An archaic throw back to the type of politician that saw northern Ireland descend in to chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i liked when she didnt want the northern ireland assembly reduced to Vassal status, oh that assembly you couldnt be bothered to get up and running for over a year, talks out of both sides of her mouth that one

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's not a game. Playing dirty and ugly but winning the game is to be respected.

Playing dirty and ugly politics is not. Because it's not a game. Anyone who treats it as one should be considered a psychopath.

Arlene Foster is a disgusting human being who will happily rain misery on one group of people so long as it benefits "her" group of people.

You don't get politics then. The objective from here perspective is to keep the 6 counties in a union with Britain. Not to be a nice person. She is doing her job brilliantly. If you have difficulty respecting her for that, well...

Advertisement